TheWOAT

DOH! Need advice on a huge mistake.

71 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Mexico
Timeline

Hedo Turkoglu is Turkish, but I dont think his wife accidentally registered to vote. That and a bar of soap will get you off-topic in this thread. Why not bring up Godwin's Law and try and enter this thread into the "Off-Topic" Internet Hall of Fame?

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Internet Kafe,

Chill out. If you do not have positive things to say, please be quite. The topic is about an issue that an immigrant is facing, and not a linguistics class where you are trying to prove a point... :angry:

Edited by MoroccanInTexas

"Great minds discuss ideas. Average minds discuss events. Small minds discuss people."

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Turkey
Timeline
Hedo Turkoglu is Turkish, but I dont think his wife accidentally registered to vote. That and a bar of soap will get you off-topic in this thread. Why not bring up Godwin's Law and try and enter this thread into the "Off-Topic" Internet Hall of Fame?

If a PR votes s/he does something illegal. How hard is it to see this?

How can someone ACCIDENTALLY register to vote?

If that someone speaks and reads ENGLISH????????

I am now a US citizen.

t1283610_made-in-china-american-flag.jpg

pride_logo_275px.jpg

Timeline

If a PR votes s/he does something illegal. How hard is it to see this?

How can someone ACCIDENTALLY register to vote?

If that someone speaks and reads ENGLISH????????

Dude, read what I have wrote AGAIN. The irony of you bringing up English reading skills. :wacko: I have never said it wasnt illegal, nor that it didnt happen. The details of the story are there only to show that there was no ill intent to register and vote. We honestly didnt know any better. Sure that sounds dumb, and we sure as hell feel dumb, but we dont feel ashamed because it was an honest mistake. There is nothing to argue regarding the facts in this story. All we care about are the ramifications of this act. If she gets deported, then we move to Mexico and move on. Sure its a pain in the ### but life goes on.

As for "accidentally", well the accident wasnt "oops I filled out a registration and voted, how did that happen", it was more "Oops I filled out a registration card and voted when I wasnt legally allowed to." Serious question for you, Why are you here? I'm sure there other topics where you can slip in ignorant remarks about naturalized Mexicans and Mexican-Americans.

Filed: Timeline

Woat,

Illegal Immigration Reform and Immigrant Responsibility Act of 1996" (IIRI). IIRI Section 216, (a), 611 reads:

" Ԥ 611. Voting by aliens

‘‘(a) It shall be unlawful for any alien to vote in any election

held solely or in part for the purpose of electing a candidate for

the office of President, Vice President, Presidential elector, Member

of the Senate, Member of the House of Representatives, Delegate

from the District of Columbia, or Resident Commissioner, unless—

‘‘(1) the election is held partly for some other purpose;

‘‘(2) aliens are authorized to vote for such other purpose

under a State constitution or statute or a local ordinance;

and

‘‘(3) voting for such other purpose is conducted independently

of voting for a candidate for such Federal offices, in

such a manner that an alien has the opportunity to vote for

110 STAT. 3009–573 PUBLIC LAW 104–208—SEPT. 30, 1996

such other purpose, but not an opportunity to vote for a candidate

for any one or more of such Federal offices.

‘‘(B) Any person who violates this section shall be fined under

this title, imprisoned not more than one year, or both.’’.

(B) CLERICAL AMENDMENT.—The table of sections at the beginning

of chapter 29 of title 18, United States Code, is amended

by inserting after the item relating to section 610 the following

new item:

‘‘611. Voting by aliens.’’.

You can find this act at:

http://frwebgate.access.gpo.gov/cgi-bin/ge...publ208.104.pdf

page 547

Good Luck,

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Colombia
Timeline

Remember that this law is harsh to prevent people from illegally influencing US elections. Nobody goes to jail without standing in front of a court. I seriously doubt that any judge or jury would administer such a harsh punishment for making a mistake.

Having painfully waded through this thread I would probably not attempt citizenship without a lawyer. If I were you that would not be the end of the world. LPR keeps her here legally for 10 years at a shot.

If you decide to talk to a lawyer remeber that the lawyers first priority is to get your money. He/she will make this sound like the end of the world unless you pay them, at which time they will breeze you right through the whole mess.

It is a shame this racist stuff snuck into this thread. This is very rare on VJ. 99.999% of the people here are good hearted people that want to share experiences and help with your immigration journey. I don't think I could have ever gotten through this process without the help of this site.

10 Nov mailed I 129F to TSC

16 Nov 29 Nov Notice date

3 Dec Received NOA 1

3 Jan 05 Please I just want to be touched

3 may 05 NOA2 E mail notification

7 May 05 Mail NOA2

11 May 05 sent petition to Bogota

18 May Packet 3 arrived

19 May Checklist taken to consulate

31 May Packet 4 delivered

29 June visa granted

1 July Visa delivered

Sometime in July Lucero came to US

13 Sept 05 Married

1 Nov 05 -USCIS recieved 485 and EAD

13 December RFE stupid things I should have included Returned very quickly

27 March received bio letter for New Orleans

7 Apr_06 Bio done in New Orleans

20 April 06 Touched on all applications

21 April Email received EAD approved

27 Apr Received EAD card

30 May 2006 Received appointment letter for JaX on 13 July 2006

13 July Interview successful approved

20 July Received green card

30 June 08 Sent I751 to remove conditions

25 July 08 Application returned erroneously incorrect fee

27 July mailed new application with separate checks

15 Sept 08 Application returned erroneously K2 not within 90 day timeframe

17 Sept Mailed 3rd application with mountains of proof of error copied Senator Mel Martinez

09 October 4th application package sent. This time they said the app signature page was a copy

10 Oct Sent package again 4th time.

25 Oct Received another NOA for Wife with $625 for the amount with one year extension

30 Oct 2008 Still nothing for step daughter. Checks still haven't cleared the bank

24 November Checks finally cleared the bank

February biometrics for wife Nothing for daughter.

Filed: Country: Germany
Timeline
To the Slovenian: It is only a matter of time that defines if Slovenian is a language at all, but not a 'dialect' of Russian.

To the 'teacher' I have seen gazillions of ignorant brainless teachers. I guess people have to make ends meet...

:lol: That's all I can muster for you. 'ignorant brainless teachers'? Since I have no need to expound on my education or qualifications, I shall grant you the personal feeling of "pwning" me, if that's what you need to feel superior.

To the OP, it's great that the elections officers are being so helpful. Keep us posted on what happens and good luck!

Done with USCIS until 12/28/2020!

penguinpasscanada.jpg

"What difference does it make to the dead, the orphans, and the homeless, whether the mad destruction is wrought under the name of totalitarianism or the holy name of liberty and democracy?" ~Gandhi

Timeline

We spoke with the County Elections Dept, and they gave us documentation showing the original registration card and proof that she voted. They told us it was illegal, but the registration form shouldnt have been processed by the Dept... SOOO we are zero percent worried about getting convicted of anything. Also someone within the Dept spoke with us, assured us that they see it often in their Dept, and ... Ill keep the rest of the conversation confidential.

I also got alot of help from this site, a ton of help, but this is the internet, and ... well... it sometimes doesnt represent real life conversations... In defense of some members, I was expecting, and deserve, a few '####### were you thinkin?!'s cuz it was a really dumb thing to do...

Moving forward, we are going to just apply for the 10 year GC and consult with a lawyer... then play some golf. Happy Holidays!!!

Filed: Country: Germany
Timeline

Well, the very best to you both!

Done with USCIS until 12/28/2020!

penguinpasscanada.jpg

"What difference does it make to the dead, the orphans, and the homeless, whether the mad destruction is wrought under the name of totalitarianism or the holy name of liberty and democracy?" ~Gandhi

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Turkey
Timeline

Racist stuff? Since when is it racist to say immigrants should learn English and obey the laws?

If the law says you are not allowed to vote it is your responsibility to understand to know what it means and obey the law to the letter.

If a Turk does it my response would be the same.

I am now a US citizen.

t1283610_made-in-china-american-flag.jpg

pride_logo_275px.jpg

Timeline
Racist stuff? Since when is it racist to say immigrants should learn English and obey the laws?

If the law says you are not allowed to vote it is your responsibility to understand to know what it means and obey the law to the letter.

If a Turk does it my response would be the same.

Hey dont look at me, Im not the one who brought up a race and generalized about said race. That was some other guy. ;)

Timeline

I think of people who probably do not frequent this site, and its a term that has yet to be mentioned in this thread and has nothing to do with anything you have said prior.

In summation, Mexicans speak the 'Mexican' language, Mexican-Americans and naturalized Mexicans dont bother to learn English, and somehow this has something to do with illegal immigration. Where are you trying to go with this?

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Colombia
Timeline

What comes to my mind is that the USCIS has made this whole thing so needlessly difficult that it is shocking anybody is here legally.

It also surprises me that you are offended by being called a racist. It is my understanding that when you have a resentment against an entire race of people you know almost nothing about you are a racist. Maybe I am wrong.

Well, what comes to mind when you hear 'illegal immigration'?

10 Nov mailed I 129F to TSC

16 Nov 29 Nov Notice date

3 Dec Received NOA 1

3 Jan 05 Please I just want to be touched

3 may 05 NOA2 E mail notification

7 May 05 Mail NOA2

11 May 05 sent petition to Bogota

18 May Packet 3 arrived

19 May Checklist taken to consulate

31 May Packet 4 delivered

29 June visa granted

1 July Visa delivered

Sometime in July Lucero came to US

13 Sept 05 Married

1 Nov 05 -USCIS recieved 485 and EAD

13 December RFE stupid things I should have included Returned very quickly

27 March received bio letter for New Orleans

7 Apr_06 Bio done in New Orleans

20 April 06 Touched on all applications

21 April Email received EAD approved

27 Apr Received EAD card

30 May 2006 Received appointment letter for JaX on 13 July 2006

13 July Interview successful approved

20 July Received green card

30 June 08 Sent I751 to remove conditions

25 July 08 Application returned erroneously incorrect fee

27 July mailed new application with separate checks

15 Sept 08 Application returned erroneously K2 not within 90 day timeframe

17 Sept Mailed 3rd application with mountains of proof of error copied Senator Mel Martinez

09 October 4th application package sent. This time they said the app signature page was a copy

10 Oct Sent package again 4th time.

25 Oct Received another NOA for Wife with $625 for the amount with one year extension

30 Oct 2008 Still nothing for step daughter. Checks still haven't cleared the bank

24 November Checks finally cleared the bank

February biometrics for wife Nothing for daughter.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline
Well, what comes to mind when you hear 'illegal immigration'?

I have respectfully requested you to stop dragging this thread off-topic more than once.

Enough.

Seriously.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.