warlord

Pop Vs. Soda Debate

89 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

I'll usually say "pop" or "coke"......

But I hate it when you go to a restaurant & ask for a coke & they say "we have pepsi"(so I take it).

Then the next time you go somewhere else, you ask for a pepsi & they say "we have coke"(& I take it)....

SOOOO....now when I go out I'll ask for "pepsi or coke...whichever you have".

8/2/2021:  Mailed N-400

8/4/2021: N-400 received

8/6/2021:  Biometrics to be reused
3/15/2022:  Interview (successful)

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I personally want to know what "other" is. If it's not Soda, Pop or Coke then what the hell else would it be called?

Loved the map thingy...cool.

Stopped reading thread here to respond:

I call them soft drinks.

I may be weird...well I am a mish/mash Quebecker/BCer!

:lol:

SpiritAlight edits due to extreme lack of typing abilities. :)

You will do foolish things.

Do them with enthusiasm!!

Don't just do something. Sit there.

K1: Flew to the U.S. of A. – January 9th, 2008 (HELLO CHI-TOWN!!! I'm here.)

Tied the knot (legal ceremony, part one) – January 26th, 2008 (kinda spontaneous)

AOS: Mailed V-Day; received February 15th, 2007 – phew!

I-485 application transferred to CSC – March 12th, 2008

Travel/Work approval notices via email – April 23rd, 2008

Green card/residency card: email notice of approval – August 28th, 2008 yippeeeee!!!

Funny-looking card arrives – September 6th, 2008 :)

Mailed request to remove conditions – July 7, 2010

Landed permanent resident approved – August 23rd, 2010

Second funny looking card arrives – August 31st, 2010

Over & out, Spirit

How long will it be til you too will ask a waitor "Could I get a refill on my soda?"

buahahahahahahahahahaha :devil:

NEVERRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR!

Well, I always said i'd never use "Y'all" when I was in univ., but I quickly picked that up. Mel has picked up "dude", and I have picked up "eh", next thing will be your conversion..... Give in to the Dark Side (we have cookies). :yes:

ROTFLMFAO!

SpiritAlight edits due to extreme lack of typing abilities. :)

You will do foolish things.

Do them with enthusiasm!!

Don't just do something. Sit there.

K1: Flew to the U.S. of A. – January 9th, 2008 (HELLO CHI-TOWN!!! I'm here.)

Tied the knot (legal ceremony, part one) – January 26th, 2008 (kinda spontaneous)

AOS: Mailed V-Day; received February 15th, 2007 – phew!

I-485 application transferred to CSC – March 12th, 2008

Travel/Work approval notices via email – April 23rd, 2008

Green card/residency card: email notice of approval – August 28th, 2008 yippeeeee!!!

Funny-looking card arrives – September 6th, 2008 :)

Mailed request to remove conditions – July 7, 2010

Landed permanent resident approved – August 23rd, 2010

Second funny looking card arrives – August 31st, 2010

Over & out, Spirit

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

I call it pop in Canada, but switch to soda when I'm in the NYC area.

I'm sure I'll get used to saying soda, although I have a feeling pop will slip on occasion.

That's an interesting map!!

Removing Conditions

Sent package to VSC - 8/12/11

NOA1 - 8/16/11

Biometrics - 9/14/11

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline
I call it pop in Canada, but switch to soda when I'm in the NYC area.

I'm sure I'll get used to saying soda, although I have a feeling pop will slip on occasion.

That's an interesting map!!

I always say pop.. and then I get this very stunned confused look staring back at me.. so I do one of those internal monologues "okay.. what did you just say.. you either pronounced it incorrectly or you said a word they don't understand".. and I always catch it and say "er.. soda" and the person gives me one of these looks of sheer relief.

AOS:

2007-02-22: Sent AOS /EAD

2007-03-06 : NOA1 AOS /EAD

2007-03-28: Transferred to CSC

2007-05-17: EAD Card Production Ordered

2007-05-21: I485 Approved

2007-05-24: EAD Card Received

2007-06-01: Green Card Received!!

Removal of Conditions:

2009-02-27: Sent I-751

2009-03-07: NOA I-751

2009-03-31: Biometrics Appt. Hartford

2009-07-21: Touched (first time since biometrics) Perhaps address change?

2009-07-28: Approved at VSC

2009-08-25: Received card in the mail

Naturalization

2012-08-20: Submitted N-400

2013-01-18: Became Citizen

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

It's always been pop to me. My fiancee in Texas calls it "soda" or "not drinking it anymore since I'm on a diet".

On an interesting side note, she also refers to it as a "restroom" while I use "bathroom" or "washroom". She also uses "chunk" while I say "chuck". (As in to throw something away.) A "toque" is a "toboggan" to her. (I'm still freaked over that one.) And "KD" is incorrectly "macaroni and cheese" there. And for some reason they call it a "side dish", not a meal. Go figure.

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline

Ahhh all these lovely coloquialisms. We call a "Toquue" a beanie here in los angeles. But for all the arguement, and my waiting for Treble to ask a waitor for a refill on her soda, I am genuinel intrigued by the different terms in each areas of the world for items. I am even more enthralled by peoples rejection and refusal to conform to the cultural norm.

However, we are who we are, and cannot ask, or expect anything more or less from anyone. Each person has grown up using different terms for things, and phrases for situations. If my lovely wife to be asks me for a "cherry pop" (though she hates carbonated drinks), I will indulge her and bring her a Welche's Cherry from the fridge, and not tell her that it is indeed a "Soda". If she walks out side and tells me that it is chilly out and that I should go grab my touque..... I will go grab my beanie :devil:

I'm not trying to end this discussion in anyway. I am in fact trying to broaden it to talk about the many differences in terminology that we have, and to point out that they are just terms......

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline
Ahhh all these lovely coloquialisms. We call a "Toquue" a beanie here in los angeles. But for all the arguement, and my waiting for Treble to ask a waitor for a refill on her soda, I am genuinel intrigued by the different terms in each areas of the world for items. I am even more enthralled by peoples rejection and refusal to conform to the cultural norm.

However, we are who we are, and cannot ask, or expect anything more or less from anyone. Each person has grown up using different terms for things, and phrases for situations. If my lovely wife to be asks me for a "cherry pop" (though she hates carbonated drinks), I will indulge her and bring her a Welche's Cherry from the fridge, and not tell her that it is indeed a "Soda". If she walks out side and tells me that it is chilly out and that I should go grab my touque..... I will go grab my beanie :devil:

I'm not trying to end this discussion in anyway. I am in fact trying to broaden it to talk about the many differences in terminology that we have, and to point out that they are just terms......

I thought of something quite different after I read that... :unsure:

I've always called it "pop", and in Missouri, everyone seems to call it "soda". When I ask for "pop", people invariably say "you're not from around here are you"? Where I'm from, asking for a "soda", will get you a "Club Soda".

carlahmsb4.gif

Filed: Other Timeline

Here in Western NC everyone pretty much says coke, no matter what it is they're drinking. Or just a generic drink. "wanna drink with that?" at McDonald's means "do you want a carbonated beverage?" To me however, drink means alcohol, and sadly they don't serve at McDonald's.

My Aunt and Uncle who used to spend A LOT of time in Florida call it soft drink. As did most of their neighbours, no matter where they were from originally. Not sure if that's a Florida thing, or if because of the vast range of nations living in the trailer park, and to settle the argument they all decided to use "soft drink" or what ;)

I had a friend from Port aux Basque Newfoundland that called everything Pepsi, even if she wanted a ginge rale, she'd ask for Pepsi.

To me its all pop, and will be forever. If they don't know what the heck I'm talking about, they'll just have to get used to it :P;)

divorced - April 2010 moved back to Ontario May 2010 and surrendered green card

PLEASE DO NOT PRIVATE MESSAGE ME OR EMAIL ME. I HAVE NO IDEA ABOUT CURRENT US IMMIGRATION PROCEDURES!!!!!

Here in Western NC everyone pretty much says coke, no matter what it is they're drinking. Or just a generic drink. "wanna drink with that?" at McDonald's means "do you want a carbonated beverage?" To me however, drink means alcohol, and sadly they don't serve at McDonald's.

My Aunt and Uncle who used to spend A LOT of time in Florida call it soft drink. As did most of their neighbours, no matter where they were from originally. Not sure if that's a Florida thing, or if because of the vast range of nations living in the trailer park, and to settle the argument they all decided to use "soft drink" or what ;)

I had a friend from Port aux Basque Newfoundland that called everything Pepsi, even if she wanted a ginge rale, she'd ask for Pepsi.

To me its all pop, and will be forever. If they don't know what the heck I'm talking about, they'll just have to get used to it :P;)

Speaking of ginger ale... it seems to be almost impossible to find here. I loved diet Sweppes.

carlahmsb4.gif

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

I thought of something quite different after I read that... :unsure:

lol....I think I know what you're thinking about & that came to my mind as well!

8/2/2021:  Mailed N-400

8/4/2021: N-400 received

8/6/2021:  Biometrics to be reused
3/15/2022:  Interview (successful)

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline
and my waiting for Treble to ask a waitor for a refill on her soda, I am genuinel intrigued by the different terms in each areas of the world for items. I am even more enthralled by peoples rejection and refusal to conform to the cultural norm.

Why would I want to conform to the cultural norm when for over 20 years of my life, this was not my culture? It's like asking someone who is British to not say "bangers and mash" or not eat "beans on toast". That is not rejecting the cultural norm, that is just people's natural reactions to speech pathology and all they know.

For me, while it is the above it is also about the preservation of my culture and my heritage. I moved here and gave up everything, can't I at least keep my upbringing? Not to mention, I love our Canadianisms and they make me feel unique here in a melting pop of "sodas", "bathrooms" and people leaving their shoes on in my house.

"...My hair's mostly wind,

My eyes filled with grit

My skin's white then brown

My lips chapped and split

I've lain on the prairie and heard grasses sigh

I've stared at the vast open bowl of the sky

I've seen all the castles and faces in clouds

My home is the prairie and for that I am proud…

If You're not from the Prairie, you can't know my soul

You don't know our blizzards; you've not fought our cold

You can't know my mind, nor ever my heart

Unless deep within you there's somehow a part…

A part of these things that I've said that I know,

The wind, sky and earth, the storms and the snow.

Best say that you have - and then we'll be one,

For we will have shared that same blazing sun." - David Bouchard

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline
Speaking of ginger ale... it seems to be almost impossible to find here. I loved diet Sweppes.

This is my new pop of choice Carla! Since Coke tastes different here I now drink Canada Dry Gingerale and Schweppes if that isn't available. Isn't it strange here that in one State it is readily available in any store and in another you have to search for it.

It's always been pop to me. My fiancee in Texas calls it "soda" or "not drinking it anymore since I'm on a diet".

:lol:

On a side note, my Sister who moved to Texas just after graduating from high school, calls a toboggan a toque :huh:

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.