WhidbeyGirl

Fee Waiver

8 posts in this topic

I was looking around the immgration website and saw that I qualify for a fee waiver. My question is, has anyone used this before and does it have any impact on things later on, ie when they require proof of income for sponsorship. One of the ways to qualify is if one has used a federal assistance program in the last 6 months - which I have since I was hardly working the last few months. But I just got a GREAT job and will be above the needed income level to sponsor my SO when it comes to that time. I just wonder if they are going to look back and see that I had the fee waived and then either demand money from me or think that I am lying about my income when they evalute for sponsorship. If I apply for the fee waiver and am granted it, it means that the paperwork will be submitted a month earlier because I have to build up a savings right now and it will take a month before I will have enough to pay the fee.

VISA JOURNEY

USCIS Journey

02/23/09 ............I-130 sent

03/27/09.............NOA2

TOTAL 32 DAYS

NVC Journey

04/15/09.............Case # Assigned

07/10/09.............Interview assigned

TOTAL 105 DAYS

Embassy Journey

07/14/09.............Forward the case to Embassy in Dakar, Senegal

09/28/09.............Visa in Hand

TOTAL 80 DAYS

VISA GRAND TOTAL 217 DAYS

US CITIZENSHIP JOURNEY

Conditional Resident Journey

09/29/09.............POE New York PIECE OF CAKE!!!

10/27/09.............2 year Green card received

TOTAL 29 DAYS

Removal of Conditions Journey

07/18/11.............I-751 packet sent

03/23/12............10yr GC Received

TOTAL 249 DAYS

Naturalization Journey

07/03/12.............N-400 packet sent

07/23/12.............Resent N-400 packet (husband FORGOT check!)

08/23/12.............Biometrics done

09/12/12.............Interview letter received

10/16/12.............Interview scheduled

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ethiopia
Timeline

I don't know any one who has used a fee waiver. I don't think I would use it though unless I had a guaranteed co-sponsor. I would be worried about it coming back to bite me with the I-134/I-864.

Waiting a month will give you more time to document the relationship. And, I really have no clue how the waivers work, but nothing with USCIS is quick...so it may take a while to approve the fee waiver. I don't think it would save time.

Filed: Other Country: United Kingdom
Timeline
I was looking around the immgration website and saw that I qualify for a fee waiver. My question is, has anyone used this before and does it have any impact on things later on, ie when they require proof of income for sponsorship. One of the ways to qualify is if one has used a federal assistance program in the last 6 months - which I have since I was hardly working the last few months. But I just got a GREAT job and will be above the needed income level to sponsor my SO when it comes to that time. I just wonder if they are going to look back and see that I had the fee waived and then either demand money from me or think that I am lying about my income when they evalute for sponsorship. If I apply for the fee waiver and am granted it, it means that the paperwork will be submitted a month earlier because I have to build up a savings right now and it will take a month before I will have enough to pay the fee.

I have seen several member talk about trying to use the fee wavier, never heard of anyone getting it. Last person I know of who asked at infopass about fee wavier was told that if they could not pay the fee how were they going to support their SO. If you were to apply they would be looking at your income as it is now as well as any income in the past.

I kinda figured if I used it, it would come back to bite me. Just trying to be as economical as possible.

VISA JOURNEY

USCIS Journey

TOTAL 32 DAYS

NVC Journey

TOTAL 105 DAYS

Embassy Journey

TOTAL 80 DAYS

US CITIZENSHIP JOURNEY

TOTAL 29 DAYS

TOTAL 249 DAYS

Naturalization Journey

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ghana
Timeline
I kinda figured if I used it, it would come back to bite me. Just trying to be as economical as possible.

Economical? With USCIS? :unsure:

Edited by Zee Bee

Mama to 2 beautiful boys (August 2011 and January 2015)

Click for full timeline

Economical? With USCIS? :unsure:

Well... if they will foot the bill of $355 for the I-130, it would definitely help me out. I just looked at airfare in June for my kids and I and we are looking at nearly $7,000 plus they need passports & shots.

VISA JOURNEY

USCIS Journey

TOTAL 32 DAYS

NVC Journey

TOTAL 105 DAYS

Embassy Journey

TOTAL 80 DAYS

US CITIZENSHIP JOURNEY

TOTAL 29 DAYS

TOTAL 249 DAYS

Naturalization Journey

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ethiopia
Timeline

$7000 for plane tickets! I dread the day our whole family flies to Ethiopia. How many kids do you have? Maybe you could try a few travel agencies and see if you can get a group rate? OR book tickets for family plus a VJ member or two?

$7000 for plane tickets! I dread the day our whole family flies to Ethiopia. How many kids do you have? Maybe you could try a few travel agencies and see if you can get a group rate? OR book tickets for family plus a VJ member or two?

I ONLY have 2 kids!! It's $2,331 per person. One of my older boys told me he wants to go too now.

VISA JOURNEY

USCIS Journey

TOTAL 32 DAYS

NVC Journey

TOTAL 105 DAYS

Embassy Journey

TOTAL 80 DAYS

US CITIZENSHIP JOURNEY

TOTAL 29 DAYS

TOTAL 249 DAYS

Naturalization Journey

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.