Nataliya

Tax documents for leaving the country - Ukraine

30 posts in this topic

My wife is currently going through a long and painful process with the "tax police" but it is more about getting out from under a periodic filing requirement pursuant to her previous business, than any kind of document (that she has never been asked for) to leave the country...

Just out of curiosity, what is the negative consequence if she doesn't clear it up?

3dflags_ukr0001-0001a.gif3dflags_usa0001-0001a.gif

Travelers - not tourists

Friday.gif

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline
My wife is currently going through a long and painful process with the "tax police" but it is more about getting out from under a periodic filing requirement pursuant to her previous business, than any kind of document (that she has never been asked for) to leave the country...

Just out of curiosity, what is the negative consequence if she doesn't clear it up?

I will be honest that I trulu do not know... I know she was worried about it because there are late filing penalties/fees if she does not do a timely filing. I know for the first year, she prepared in advance 4 "zero" sales filings and had her neighbor submit the forms. I don't know if she was afraid of a tax lien on the apartment? Don't know how the Ukraine system works. When we were there in July, she spent a week chasing agency to agency to agency, giving a power of attorney to someone, yada yada yada.... It is now 7 mos. later and we are almost there.... In this situation I just help, I don't ask. You can tell she is a Ukrainian woman... you just can't tell her much. :)

YMMV

I will be honest that I trulu do not know... I know she was worried about it because there are late filing penalties/fees if she does not do a timely filing. I know for the first year, she prepared in advance 4 "zero" sales filings and had her neighbor submit the forms. I don't know if she was afraid of a tax lien on the apartment? Don't know how the Ukraine system works. When we were there in July, she spent a week chasing agency to agency to agency, giving a power of attorney to someone, yada yada yada.... It is now 7 mos. later and we are almost there.... In this situation I just help, I don't ask. You can tell she is a Ukrainian woman... you just can't tell her much. :)

I hear that brother. Since Viktoria is newly returned, I still get it every day. Today she bought a plain white t-shirt at the mall for $18. When she seemed unhappy at the price, I tried to explain that there are places where you could get several plain white, women's Ts for that money. The response was that she wanted very particular things in this shirt that she took 30 minutes to find, and the other stores probably had nothing like it. Also, because I am a man, I just wouldn't understand. :wacko: Still wouldn't change a thing though. I just smile and STFU, or say "sure honey".

Travelers - not tourists

Friday.gif

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ukraine
Timeline

I have a question about getting my wife signed off of her parents apartment. Basically removing her name from the apartment. Apparently it will save her parents some money on utilities. Has anyone done this? If so, what is the process? Thanks.

No longer in the hands of the USCIS, for my wife at least, next up MIL.

Timeline
I have a question about getting my wife signed off of her parents apartment. Basically removing her name from the apartment. Apparently it will save her parents some money on utilities. Has anyone done this? If so, what is the process? Thanks.

this is common situation as my wife has spoken about this several times, the process is all done locally and the parents should be able to find out quite easily from utility company and or friends and or neighbors

YMMV

this is common situation as my wife has spoken about this several times, the process is all done locally and the parents should be able to find out quite easily from utility company and or friends and or neighbors

She will then give up her interest in the property, no? Viktoria's family is discouraging her from this so that she will have a direct interest in their flat someday.

Travelers - not tourists

Friday.gif

Timeline

She will then give up her interest in the property, no? Viktoria's family is discouraging her from this so that she will have a direct interest in their flat someday.

there is something along that line... not 100% sure since it is not our situation

YMMV

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ukraine
Timeline

Ok thanks, Mila has no intentions of going back and getting signed off could save her parents some money, though with the economy...Hmm, it may be nice to have alternatives.

No longer in the hands of the USCIS, for my wife at least, next up MIL.

• 3 weeks later...
Filed: Timeline
That is soviet propaganda! AHAH there is no such thing as needing a tax paper or document when you leave Ukraine..

Seriously? Most countries, INCLUDING USA, require citizens and long term residents to obtain such document before permanently moving out... I don't see why would Ukraine be any different... whether it is asked for at the custom, is a different question

Timeline
That is soviet propaganda! AHAH there is no such thing as needing a tax paper or document when you leave Ukraine..

Seriously? Most countries, INCLUDING USA, require citizens and long term residents to obtain such document before permanently moving out... I don't see why would Ukraine be any different... whether it is asked for at the custom, is a different question

provide me information about your statement and particularly about MOST countries including the USA...

YMMV

The logic is simple: a country wants to make sure 1) the reason for expatriation is not tax avoidance, 2) all taxes due are either paid or there is a gurantee that they will be paid and 3) some new host countries require that document to determine which country is a tax-home

I've lived in 10+ countries and each one of them required me to go by the tax office shortly before leaving to "wrap-up" the business..., a that included the country of my citizenship. Having lived among many different nationals in different countries, I've learned 90% of them had to do something regarding this issue before moving on...

This rule or law or common sense, comes in different forms and degrees, under different names, but it is all about getting a "free to leave" from tax peple.

Just a few links

http://www.irs.gov/businesses/small/intern...d=97256,00.html for residents, for US citizens look into "expatriation " and "certificate of compliance"

http://www.americanlaw.com/ustxperm.html Canada - departure tax

http://www.deloitte.com/dtt/alert/0,1002,c...D233770,00.html Norway - exit tax

http://www.bdo.com.au/__data/assets/pdf_fi...on-vp-expat.pdf Australia

..... Australia has a capital gains “exit tax”, which deems that any person leaving Australia has a CGT event with market value consideration."

http://www.nta.go.jp/taxanswer/english/12004.htm Japan

If this was truly the case for people leaving their country to marry or join their spouse, then every visa given would require a tax clearance before you leave, presumably permanently.

It is true that many countries tax individuals on the income they earned in that country, which is why America has a 30% withholding on income earned by non-resident aliens. But, in this case, this is just a scam being operated by individuals to obtain money illegally from people (mostly women) leaving their country.

If this was truly the case for people leaving their country to marry or join their spouse, then every visa given would require a tax clearance before you leave, presumably permanently.
There are two different parties involved and they don't care about each other: once you get visa and enter USA, IRS is happy to "get" you as potential tax payer on your world-wide income.

On the other hand, coutry you are leaving wants to make sure you paid your dues to them since they probably wan't have resources to track you down in some foreign coutry...and mostly they don't require their citizens/residents to file taxes on world wide income like USA .. so they want their share before it is too late... Most people with just regular income don't owe anything anyway

Timeline

All fine and good information. However, the OP is looking for Ukraine specific information and does not care about 90% of the rest of the world.

YMMV

All fine and good information. However, the OP is looking for Ukraine specific information and does not care about 90% of the rest of the world.

And in Ukraine many companies (including my fiance's) pay in cash specifically so that they can cook the books and avoid corporate tax. In addition, most taxes are supposedly paid out of the "salary" up front. I suspect that the tax clearance issue either doesn't apply to the average worker, or it is one of the many things that are called for legally, but the government ignores because chasing those few hrvna is too much trouble.

Travelers - not tourists

Friday.gif

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.