Europeanboy

I-751 filing time frame after finalized divorce

9 posts in this topic

Hi Guys, need some help here

One of my friends just got her divorce decree but she still has 7-8 months left until her green card expires. So me and another friend of us were arguing today when the best/lawful time to file I-751 should be. He says that she can wait for the period of 90 days before the green card expiration date with no problem because I-751 instructions say that when filing on waiver "YOU CAN FILE AT ANY TIME". What I think and from what I have read so far I know that You should(must) file IMMEDIATELY to remove your conditions based on a divorce waiver after your divorce is FINAL before you are removed from the country. Yes, You could probably wait but you decide to take the risk on your own.

WHO IS RIGHT?

THANK YOU

I would file right away. That way Immigration can send a 1 year extention and he/she can remain in status.

You file I-751 before they find out that you are divorced and broke the requirement/condition of being married because If they find out first you can be deported. So filing I-751 keeps ASAP keeps you protected in status. I just need to find the source in the law where it exactly says that so I can show it and prove it 100%. I think that you can wait but you take the risk on your own.

You should wait until the 90 day period begins. The instructions are pretty specific about not filing before that period begins, regardless of the current situation. Obviously, your friend will need to be prepared to show he/she can support themselves. They may also need to show that the divorce was for unexpected reasons. In other words, they will need to show that the marriage was not a sham.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline
You should wait until the 90 day period begins. The instructions are pretty specific about not filing before that period begins, regardless of the current situation.

That's not true. From the I-751 instructions:

Filing jointly. If you are filing this petition jointly with your spouse, you must file it during the 90 days immediately before the second anniversary of the date you were accorded conditional resident status. This is the date your conditional residence expires.

Filing with a request that the joint filing requirement be waived. You may file this petition at any time after you are granted conditional resident status and before you are removed.

Effect of not filing. If this petition is not filed, you will automatically lose your permanent resident status as of the second anniversary of the date on which you were granted conditional status.

The OP's question is whether filing immediately after the divorce is mandatory. I believe it's clear from these instructions that if you are not filing based on a current marriage to a USC, you may file at any time after your conditional status is granted and before the second anniversary of the date on which you were granted conditional status.

Filed: Other Country: Philippines
Timeline

I believe you can file anytime after you received your decree. Mine took longer because of the timeframe of my divorce proceedings. My I-751 approval was within the normal timeframe of 6 mos.

I-R5 at USCIS California Service Center

Consulate: Manila Philippines

5/19/09 Filed I-130 at Chicago Lockbox

5/22/09 USCIS rcvd I-130

6/01/09 Checks cashed

6/03/09 NOA1 rcvd for both parents

8/12/09 Email approval for Dad

8/17/09 Rcvd NOA2 for Dad

8/20/09 Rcvd RFE email for Mom

9/08/09 Email approval for Mom

9/12/09 Rcvd NOA2 for Mom

NVC

8/19/09 NVC rcvd dad's case

9/18/09 NVC rcvd mom's case

9/22/09 Emailed DS3032

9/28/09 Paid AOS/ I-864 fee of $70 for both

10/08/09 rcvd emails: DS3032 accepted

10/08/09 sent I-864

10/09/09 IV bill generated for both cases

10/10/09 Paid IV bill $800 for both

10/13/09 I-864 rcvd by NVC

10/15/09 DS230 mailed to NVC

10/16/09 I-864 accepted & entered into the system

10/19/09 DS230 rcvd by NVC

11/02/09 rcvd checklist emails

11/09/09 sent RFE to NVC via UPS

11/12/09 NVC received RFE

11/19/09 AVR: checklist response rcvd 11/18/09

11/28/09 Log-in failed for both

12/01/09 Case complete as of 11/30/09

12/14/09 rcvd emails of interview date

01/04-05/09 medical @ St.Lukes done

01/11/10 Interview @ USEmbassy Manila 6:30am

Filed: Timeline
Hi Guys, need some help here

One of my friends just got her divorce decree but she still has 7-8 months left until her green card expires. So me and another friend of us were arguing today when the best/lawful time to file I-751 should be. He says that she can wait for the period of 90 days before the green card expiration date with no problem because I-751 instructions say that when filing on waiver "YOU CAN FILE AT ANY TIME". What I think and from what I have read so far I know that You should(must) file IMMEDIATELY to remove your conditions based on a divorce waiver after your divorce is FINAL before you are removed from the country. Yes, You could probably wait but you decide to take the risk on your own.

WHO IS RIGHT?

THANK YOU

Until the 90 day window has closed, there is no risk involved, if a divorcée were to wait to file, but for what purpose? After divorce the alien cannot accrue any more evidence of the bonafide nature of the former marriage, and unless a delay in filing is due to some financial incapacity then most would be encouraged to do it right away.

"diaddie mermaid"

You can 'catch' me on here and on FBI.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.