John & Mary

Repeated Short Visits to UK

9 posts in this topic

Hi all! I'm new to VJ, as my English fiance and I just became engaged over Thanksgiving break. Our I-129F package will be sent off today! We are enormously excited and can't wait to spend our lives together.

Until his visa comes through, however, we want to spend as much time together as possible. Since I am a teacher, I have several short breaks and a summer break that I want to spend in the UK with him. I already spent 5 days at Thanksgiving, and want to spend two weeks at Christmas, five days in February, a week in April, and then as much as two months in the summer (we're hoping that the visa will process relatively quickly, of course, and we'd like to think I'll be able to bring him home with me by then).

I am concerned, however, that the UK Border Agency may be put off by so many visits (5 in an 8-month period), even though they will all be relatively short (with the exception of the summer). I've scoured the UK Consulate and Border Agency websites, but they just don't seem to provide much information about this particular set of circumstances. Is there anything I can do in advance to ensure that I won't have any trouble getting into the UK-- like registering with some office, for example? I will of course travel with copies of my mortgage statement and a letter from my employer. I've just heard horror stories and I want to avoid them as best I can.

I've read advice here that says things like, "Just say you're visiting friends" when interviewed by the customs agent. I tried that at Thanksgiving, and the agent immediately inquired if it was a male friend, and if we intended to get married. (We had no such intention-- but I was sternly warned against getting married anyway!) They didn't give me any hassle, but I'm just worried that if I visit so often they'll find a reason to turn me away.

Overall, I'm about as cool as a drunk duck, so if it will require any subtlety or smooth-talking at the gate, I'm afraid I'll have to cancel the trips. Being absolutely truthful in our case should be all right, I keep thinking-- as long as the high number of visits aren't breaking any codes. I would just hate not to know there was an unpublished "cap" to number of entries for visa-waiver visits and then find out the hard way.

Has anyone tried to visit their fiance(e) in the UK this often? Were there any problems?

Thanks in advance!

US Entry: 06-27-2009
Marriage: 08-14-2009
Conditional Green Card in Hand: 12-21-2009
I-751 filed: 09-16-2011
Conditions lifted: 10-16-2012
N-400 filed: 10-28-2013
N-400 approved: 03-06-2014

US Citizen: 03-21-2014

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

My now wife did the same sot of thing. She had no problem and I can not recollect any reports of anybody else having a problem.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Unfortunately, this question is relatively unanswerable, because you're at the mercy of the officer that you come across. When my OH visited me for the first time, he was stopped at immigration, detained at her majesty's pleasure (he was tickled at the notion of pleasuring our majesty by his mere presence in the UK! lol) and I was grilled for 20 minutes about how we met, what were our plans for the future, what would happen if he didn't turn out to be what I expected, what kind of visa would we apply for if he came here, why did I pay for his ticket... When they decided to let him into the country, they limited his entry for 3 weeks and told him that staying beyond that would make him an illegal immigrant and made it sound as though it was short of nothing more than punishable by death! All this to a poor guy who'd never left the US, and only managed to get his passport delivered the day before he got on the plane! They also said that he was now 'blacklisted' meaning that without a multiple entry tourist visa or repeated examples of 'good behaviour' he would be stopped and detained every time.

In May, he came over again. We made sure that he had a wad of cash, proof of trips we had planned for the 3 weeks he was here, he near about tattooed my address on his forehead and made sure he had his itinerary printed out. The immigration officer glanced at his passport, asked if he was staying with friends and stamped his passport for 6 months! So needless to say, we changed his flight and he left after 5.5 months.

The simple fact is that as long as you spend more time in the US than in the UK, you should be fine. Make sure that you bring documents that prove your ties to the US with you (lease on an apartment, contract of employment, letter from your employer confirming the semester dates at school and that you have not given notice)

If they ask, you can only travel while school's out and it's easier for you to come here with that vacation time than it is for him to get leave from work. If they ask what your plans are, tell them that you currently have an application for HIM to move the US.

The important thing is to only answer the questions they ask (don't start babbling!) and make sure you are always truthful in your replies.

Hope this helps - immigration is truly the no-man's land of our lives and relationships. If I had a God complex, I'd hope to come back as an immigration officer in my next life! lol

Edited by SunDrop

Timeline Summary:

K-1/K-2 NOA1 - POE: 9 February - 9 July 2010

Married: 17 July 2010

AOS mailed - Interview : 22 November 2010 - 10 March 2011

ROC mailed - approved: 14 February - 18 June 2013

Citizenship mailed - ceremony: 9 February - 7 June 2017

VJ K-2 AOS Guide

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: England
Timeline

When I was at Heathrow I worked alongside the immigration officers for 5 years, so while not one of them you do get a good idea of what they are like.

You will only have problems if they suspect you are not intending to return to the US. The worst that will happen then is you will be held up for a more prolonged examination and perhaps your baggage will be searched. The search is to see if you are carrying items which indicate you are intending to stay. You would be amazed at people who say they are coming for a week and when searched you find a six month lease on a flat in their bags. It is quite rare for someone to be refused entry

As you are a teacher and traveling in the school holidays have something to show that you are going back to work, perhaps your principal might write a letter to that effect so if asked you can show it to the immigration officer as proof of you intention to leave.

Bottom line in the immigration hall I worked in (one of 5 at the airport) thousands of people went through each day and a minute number go more than the cursory "What is the purpose of your visit" "How long are you staying". In fact more people were more fully questioned by myself and my colleagues than by the immigration officers

Edited by Lansbury

What to expect at the POE - WIKI entry

IR-1 Timeline IR-1 details in my timeline

N-400 Timeline

2009-08-21 Applied for US Citizenship

2009-08-28 NOA

2009-09-22 Biometrics appointment

2009-12-01 Interview - Approved

2009-12-02 Oath ceremony - now a US Citizen

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

Sundrop is right on the money!

I have made 7 trips over in the last 2 years. Always carry proof of your return flight, and always be truthful as to your intent. I have been lucky enough to only come across one "not-so-happy" customs officer and that was on my very first visit. My return was booked for 3 months down the line, and he wasn't all that happy about it. After explaining that England was only one of many places I intended to visit while on this trip and that yes, I could afford to do so he finally let me through. All other trips have been 2 weeks or less and I have had no issues.

Happy Travels!

Timeline:

3/11/08 I 129 F filed

3/20/08 NOA1

6/20/08 NOA2

7/05/08 Packet 3

12/22/08 Interview

12/29/08 Visa Delivered

1/26/08 POE

3/20/08 Wedding

Here's an idea :idea:

Next time you go over, sign up for I.R.I.S. It's airside when you are departing and it's free. I signed up at Gatwick part way down one of those spirals that goes to the departure gates. You go in the office and they take all the info from your passport and scan your irises (eyes). If they ask you how many times you will be visiting UK in a year, it's because the program is for frequent visitors. I think the guy told me at least once every 6 months was the requirement, so I said " oh for sure" to that because I wanted to do it.

So this is how it works (if the machine isn't broken). You land at Gatwick or Heathrow and when you get to the long lines at the immigration hall, you go to the I.R.I.S. machine. It's kind of in the middle of all those lines at Heathrow. You stand at the gate of little booth and it judges your height and indicates by turning on a red light one of three places to look into (short to tall) and lets you in. You go in and look in that indicated place. It's a little mirror with two eye outlines that you are supposed to line up with your eyes. It's kinda hard to keep still enough so put your carry on bags on the floor (I learned this.) Once it's gotten a good read on your eyes, the gate ahead of you opens to let you out. You pick up a little piece of paper it spits out and you're done to go to baggage claim. You don't have to talk to anybody or get your passport stamped.

The paper is kept to show your entry if needed while you're over there. I just kept mine tucked inside my passport. It says:

IRIS

Leave to enter for six months:

Employment and recourse to

public funds prohibited

Entry Date: (date)

Enrollee ID (your number)

Name

LAST NAME

FIRST & MIDDLE NAMES

Nationality USA

Location Heathrow, TN4

Permission to use the IRIS barrier expires on

(date 2 years from when you signed up)

Another suggestion is sign up for a good frequent flyer program like Continental. About 5 crossings (2.5 trips) will get you to Elite status where you get special lines and bonus miles and earlier boarding. I use my free roundtrips earned with miles in the summer when the fares are much higher.

England.gifENGLAND ---

K-1 Timeline 4 months, 19 days 03-10-08 VSC to 7-29-08 Interview London

10-05-08 Married

AOS Timeline 5 months, 14 days 10-9-08 to 3-23-09 No interview

Removing Conditions Timeline 5 months, 20 days12-27-10 to 06-10-11 No interview

Citizenship Timeline 3 months, 26 days 12-31-11 Dallas to 4-26-12 Interview Houston

05-16-12 Oath ceremony

The journey from Fiancé to US citizenship:

4 years, 2 months, 6 days

243 pages of forms/documents submitted

No RFEs

Thank you everyone for your gracious replies!

One question about IRIS though-- I'd be concerned about not having stamps in my passport when it came time to prove an "ongoing relationship". Do you think I could staple those slips of paper into my passport, or is that a no-no?

US Entry: 06-27-2009
Marriage: 08-14-2009
Conditional Green Card in Hand: 12-21-2009
I-751 filed: 09-16-2011
Conditions lifted: 10-16-2012
N-400 filed: 10-28-2013
N-400 approved: 03-06-2014

US Citizen: 03-21-2014

The paper shows proof just like a stamp in a passport. I just thought it would be one way to avoid having to talk to someone since you were worried. Also, London doesn't ever seem to ask for proof of an ongoing relationship. Those quidelines apply to some consulates but not London based on most people's reports of the interview. Most of us take something, but mine was very simple just in case they asked.

There's really no need for you to be frightened. Be calm and smile. They judge you subjectively, so if you look like a scared little rabbit, then they might think they have to ask you more questions. I'm also thinking that some of these people that get questioned are trying to stay for 6 months or other long visits by reading the posts. That kinda indicates they don't have jobs back in the US or school if they can be off that long. So it would be natural for the immigration guy to inquire more about this person and how are they planning on getting buy money-wise for that long. For your summer visit, you have a very good answer. You're a teacher and you get paid year round with the summer off. No problem.

England.gifENGLAND ---

K-1 Timeline 4 months, 19 days 03-10-08 VSC to 7-29-08 Interview London

10-05-08 Married

AOS Timeline 5 months, 14 days 10-9-08 to 3-23-09 No interview

Removing Conditions Timeline 5 months, 20 days12-27-10 to 06-10-11 No interview

Citizenship Timeline 3 months, 26 days 12-31-11 Dallas to 4-26-12 Interview Houston

05-16-12 Oath ceremony

The journey from Fiancé to US citizenship:

4 years, 2 months, 6 days

243 pages of forms/documents submitted

No RFEs

Over the last four years my husband has visited me in the UK about 5 times a year - so roughly 20 trips altogether - most were for 4/5 days or a couple were for ten days -2 weeks.

He always said he was there to either visit his girlfriend, fiance, or wife (all me by the way - as our relationship developed!) He never had a problem with entry into the UK.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.