ochef

Christmas in Thailand?

8 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Thailand
Timeline

Do non-Christian Thai's observe Christmas in anyway? Is it celebrated or combined with any Thai end-of-the year or new year traditions? My (Buddhist) fiance in Thailand mentioned having a Christmas tree and how she was looking forward to buying gifts...I was a little surprised. Truthfully, I was looking forward to a less materialistic Christmas than we have here in the US but maybe I was mistaken. I won't be visiting until Feb. but was wondering if I should be recognizing Thai celebrations before then.

Thanks for any help on this.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Thailand
Timeline

It's not even a day off there. After King's birthday and Constitution day, no holiday until Jan 1. And that's provided people don't set off bombs in BKK. It was a drag in 06.

Service Center : Vermont Service Center

Consulate : Bangkok, Thailand

Marriage : 2006-11-08

I-130 Sent : 2008-02-22

I-130 NOA1 : 2008-03-10

I-129F Sent : 2008-04-08

I-129F NOA1 : 2008-04-14

I-129F touched: 2008-05-06

I-130 touched: 2008-05-09

I-129F approved 2008-09-05

I-130 approved 2008-09-05

NVC received 2008-09-12

Pay I-864 2008-10-08

Pay IV bill 2008-10-08

Receive Instruction 2008-11-05

Case Complete 2008-11-18

Medical 2009-01-19/20 passed

Receive Pkt 4 2009-01-30

Interview 221g 2009-02-23

Second interview 2009-03-02 Approved

POE DFW 2009-03-07

Received SS card 2009-03-17

Received GC 2009-04-01

Done for 3 years or 10 years. Haven't decided yet.

(I'm going for the IR-1 and blowing off the K-3. Even if it takes an extra couple months, it's worth it to not have to deal with USCIS again)

"Give me your tired, your poor, your huddled masses yearning to breathe free, the wretched refuse of your teeming shore. Send these, the homeless, tempest-tost to me, I lift my lamp beside the golden door!"

Note:

Please fill out I-130, wait 6 months for approval, then 3 more months for an interview. (Unless of course we've bombed your country into the stone age, then you qualify for expedited processing.)

Welcome to the USA!!!

Do non-Christian Thai's observe Christmas in anyway? Is it celebrated or combined with any Thai end-of-the year or new year traditions? My (Buddhist) fiance in Thailand mentioned having a Christmas tree and how she was looking forward to buying gifts...I was a little surprised. Truthfully, I was looking forward to a less materialistic Christmas than we have here in the US but maybe I was mistaken. I won't be visiting until Feb. but was wondering if I should be recognizing Thai celebrations before then.

Thai people knows about christmas,but your fiance's a buddhist so i dont think she even celebrate it....

3561055465_7e32541543_m.jpg3561659436_e8b5cc66fc_m.jpg

"Our Wedding Prayer"

Lord,help us to remember when we first met,and the strong love that grew between us.

To work the love into practical things so nothing can divide us

Grant us a Love that grows stronger with each passing year.

We ask for words both kind and loving

and for hearts always ready to ask forgiveness as well as to forgive.

Guide us to overcome every challenge

and keep our dreams pure to each other always.

Dear Lord,we put our marriage into Your hands.Amen

If your heart acquires strength, you will be able to remove blemishes from others without thinking evil of them.

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: Thailand
Timeline

Obviously your fiance recognizes Xmas as many Buddists do. They just dont do it for the reasons people say they do here. In Thailand it has become a way to have a party & sell material items. Most Buddists have no idea of the meaning of Xmas to a Christian & could care less.

You can be sure it isnt as materialistic as it is here because they just dont have the income to sustain it. Many of the big box stores are owned by British companies ( Tesco Lotus ); they help the materialistic flow & try to create a market for the Xmas goods. The Thais like the decorations in the stores but when I asked them if they had any idea of the meaning of it all they just laughed.

I was there at Xmas for 2 years. There were no signs of Xmas day being any different than any other day. You arent mistaken.

If you want to recognise the biggest holiday of the year try New Year. Thais love New Year. Rich or poor they all try to do something for New Year.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Thailand
Timeline

It's not a religious celebration but you know, Thais like to have the excuse for party!! lol, like Valentine's day and such..

I'm buddhist but I also like chirstmas tree.. I never have it in Thailand though, I think it's a bit much to have christmas tree there. I like the decoration though :blush: All my Christmas decoration are not related to any religion at all and I take this time to be a family day.

I know all about chirstmas, I went to chistian school growing up and also university too. But I think department store there advertise chirstmas as a time to give gifts, rather than religious celebration.

And yes, new year is BIG! :devil:

K-1 = 4 months

AOS = 5 months

I-751 = almost one year

I Love My Life With You

"A society is judged by how it treats its animals and elderly"

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: Thailand
Timeline

I was with my wifes family last year for christmas in Thailand. They're very strong budhists. My brother in law has several buddhas tatooed on his chest....:) We celebrated it but was low key, had a little x-mas tree a few decorations but not all-out like here.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.