becks

Just married an american and want to move my children and I (canadians) need help on direction

18 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: Canada
Timeline

I am totally new to all of this. I just married an american (we got marriend in the USA) and checking out the usgov site to see what are the steps in order for us to move to the US to be together. I am a bit confused at to what are the right steps. I don't think I need an immigration lawyer in order to do the necessary paperwork. Can anyone help me please? I assume we have to fill out the immigrant visa forms, fiancé form and/or alien form? That american site is confusing for me and so so much information that i am honestly trying not to be overwhelmed. Also what is the timeline on this? I am a government employee and also trying to get a job offer from the government down in the States..can someone pls give me (us) some advice.

Thanks! :blush:

Becks

Filed: Timeline

If you're already married the fiancé form would not apply. K-3 or CR-1 are your options if you intend to do processing in Canada. If you came to the US and married without prior plans to do so when you entered, there is a possibility of adjusting status from within the USA. Caveat: Potential and success depends on a number of criteria.

I am totally new to all of this. I just married an american (we got marriend in the USA) and checking out the usgov site to see what are the steps in order for us to move to the US to be together. I am a bit confused at to what are the right steps. I don't think I need an immigration lawyer in order to do the necessary paperwork. Can anyone help me please? I assume we have to fill out the immigrant visa forms, fiancé form and/or alien form? That american site is confusing for me and so so much information that i am honestly trying not to be overwhelmed. Also what is the timeline on this? I am a government employee and also trying to get a job offer from the government down in the States..can someone pls give me (us) some advice.

Becks

"diaddie mermaid"

You can 'catch' me on here and on FBI.

Becks

Take it one step at a time. First check out the I-130 spouse visa petition. Hubby fills that out for you and kids if you are bringing them also. You and hubby both fill out the G325A form.

http://www.uscis.gov/portal/site/uscis/men...00045f3d6a1RCRD

Check the GUIDES on VJ

"there is a possibility of adjusting status from within the USA. Caveat: Potential and success depends on a number of criteria. "

GOOD point but it soundslike she may already be back in Canada.

Edited by Haole

K1 denied, K3/K4, CR-1/CR-2, AOS, ROC, Adoption, US citizenship and dual citizenship

!! ALL PAU!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: China
Timeline

Why is this posted in the K-1 forum??? K-1 is for persons that are NOT married.

You need to apply for a spousal visa, as well as visas for children.

I recomend CR-1 and CR-2 for children, it will save you allot of $$$, K-3 and K-4 is incredibly expensive when factoring in the adjustment of status of the K-4 children.

File I-130 for spouse CR-1, and file additional I-130s for step children's CR-2 visas.

Start here: http://www.visajourney.com/forums/index.ph...page=i130guide1

OUR TIME LINE Please do a timeline it helps us all, thanks.

Is now a US Citizen immigration completed Jan 12, 2012.

1428954228.1592.1755425389.png

CHIN0001_zps9c01d045.gifCHIN0100_zps02549215.gifTAIW0001_zps9a9075f1.gifVIET0001_zps0a49d4a7.gif

Look here: A Candle for Love and China Family Visa Forums for Chinese/American relationship,

Visa issues, and lots of info about the Guangzhou and Hong Kong consulate.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Croatia
Timeline
Why is this posted in the K-1 forum???

Probably because the person is new and, obviously, does not know which route they have to take, to begin with. ;)

I-129F Sent: Aug 20th 2008

Interview Date: April 8th 2009, 10:30 - APPROVED!

K-1 Visa Received: April 9th 2009

POE: Aug 8th 2009, Minneapolis

Wedding: Aug 28th 2009

-------------------------------------------------------------------

Our I-129f was approved in 107 days from our NOA1 date.

Our I-129f was approved in 114 days from our filing date.

Our case spent 52 days being chewed by NVC.

Our interview took 224 days from your I-129F NOA1 date.

AOS, AP, EAD filed: Oct 15th 2009

Biometrics: Nov 24th 2009

AP received: Dec 14th 2009

EAD received: Dec 17th 2009

Green Card received: Dec 18th 2009

http://www.badgerella.com/forum

Timeline

I recomend CR-1 and CR-2 for children, it will save you allot of $$$, K-3 and K-4 is incredibly expensive when factoring in the adjustment of status of the K-4 children.

File I-130 for spouse CR-1, and file additional I-130s for step children's CR-2 visas.

yes sorry wrong spot I guess...never used this before and yes very new to this....sorry!

Timeline

yes sorry wrong spot I guess...never used this before and yes very new to this....sorry!

Can I move my post so that it is in the proper place??

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline

as you wish

mbc

* ~ * Charles * ~ *

I carry a gun because a cop is too heavy.

USE THE REPORT BUTTON INSTEAD OF MESSAGING A MODERATOR!

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Becks

Don't worry about posting in the wrong place Becks, happens all the time :)

Welcome to VJ and you may want visit the Canada forum when you feel like it, lots of good people and good Canada specific information there :thumbs:

link: VJ Canada forum

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

Beck: Are you still in USA? If you are you can probably adjust status without having to go through the long application process. You would not be able to return to canada for probably close to 3 or so months so that'd mean dropping your job to stay.

If you are in the US and dropping your job isn't an issue for you... are your children here also? I have no idea what happens if someone with children adjusts without going through the application process and then wants to bring their children here... but I assume if they are with you it'd be no problem... Let everyone know where you physically are at this point, and more info about your children (if they are over 21 then they aren't as much a part of the decision as if they are dependant on you and able to get immigration benefits as a result of you immigrating).

Timeline

as you wish

mbc

haha...not sure how to move my post though. Sorry for this but I truly am impressed or rather touched that people are helping me and I just posted as a 'newbie' to this, today! I truly apreciate how everyone is helping and suggestions are already coming in!!! Thank you!

This is really not an easy process and I just want to ensure we are on the right track.

Awww, it's not that bad. It's very overwhelming at first but after you spend some time with it, it gets much easier. Read the guides at the top and consider the positives and negatives of K3/4 vs CR-1/2. Once you get a better handle on which one seems right for you guys, feel free to ask more questions. Good luck and congrats on the marriage!

Timeline

AOS

Mailed AOS, EAD and AP Sept 11 '07

Recieved NOA1's for all Sept 23 or 24 '07

Bio appt. Oct. 24 '07

EAD/AP approved Nov 26 '07

Got the AP Dec. 3 '07

AOS interview Feb 7th (5 days after the 1 year anniversary of our K1 NOA1!

Stuck in FBI name checks...

Got the GC July '08

Timeline

hihihih your exactly doing what I am into right now...I applies for I-130..and actually if you check my siggy and my timeline you will see what I did. I actually bit the bullet and stayed here while I was undergoing adjustment of status , EAD and AP, and as for an attorney..I didnot useone, it is costly and over rated ..if youneed any help just ask ill let ya know what I can do tohelp!

OK. MAILED ON AUGUST 13TH.2008 THE FOLLOWING.

I-131--TRAVEL DOCUMENT

I-130--PETITION FOR ALIEN RELATIVE

I-485--APPLICATION TO ADJUST PERMENANT RESIDENCE

MEDICAL EXAM/PASSED IT WITH FLYING COLORS

G-325A X2 GEOGRAPHIC/FORMS

I-765--EMPLOYMENT

THEY RECEIVED IN ON AUGUST 15TH,2008 ALL OF THE ABOVE LISTED

AND SO FAR THIS IS WHAT I HAVE RECEIVED BACK FROM THEM

NOA-NOTICE DATE AUGUST 20 FOR I-131 CASE IS AT NSC

NOA-NOTICE DATE AUGUST 19 FOR 1-765 CASE IS AT NSC

NOA-BIOMETRICS SEPTEMBER 4 FOR FINGER PRINTING AND PICTURES RE:I-765 COMPLETED

NOA-BIOMETRICS SEPTEMBER 4 FOR FINGER PRINTING AND PICTURES RE:I-485 COMPLETED

I-130--PETITION FOR ALIEN RELATIVE : AT NSC

I-131-ADVANCED PAROLE APPROVED, MAILED ON OCTOBER 23RD.

EAD Approved_Received Card..November 17th-2008

Interview for AOS December 10th..nervous!!!

.png

.png

Hi becks! Welcome to VJ! As trailmix suggested, check out the Canada forum here! You might want to consider a CR-1 visa as they're being in about in the same time as K-3's in Canada anyway. Read the Guides above, and look over the different visa's, and see what might be best for all of you.

Coming down on a K-3 will necessitate you adjusting your status once in the US, so you'll want a CR-1 if you want to be working quicker. No guarantees on a government job either, especially a federal job where most fed jobs require US citizenship. A State job might have residency requirements as well. I don't know where you are, or what state you're going to be moving to as well.

There are lots of "little" things you will want to consider during this process, such as which Consulate you'll be interviewed at, photo sized passport pics and the difference between US and Canadian standards, moving, visiting while the process is on-going etc. All of these answers and more are on the Canada forum.

Check us out! Congratulations on your marriage. Whatever route you decide, I hope it's speedy!

carlahmsb4.gif

Timeline
Hi becks! Welcome to VJ! As trailmix suggested, check out the Canada forum here! You might want to consider a CR-1 visa as they're being in about in the same time as K-3's in Canada anyway. Read the Guides above, and look over the different visa's, and see what might be best for all of you.

Coming down on a K-3 will necessitate you adjusting your status once in the US, so you'll want a CR-1 if you want to be working quicker. No guarantees on a government job either, especially a federal job where most fed jobs require US citizenship. A State job might have residency requirements as well. I don't know where you are, or what state you're going to be moving to as well.

There are lots of "little" things you will want to consider during this process, such as which Consulate you'll be interviewed at, photo sized passport pics and the difference between US and Canadian standards, moving, visiting while the process is on-going etc. All of these answers and more are on the Canada forum.

Check us out! Congratulations on your marriage. Whatever route you decide, I hope it's speedy!

It seems like staying in Canada and filing the I-130 etc takes quite a LONG time to process and get to the USA to be with one's spouse. It is better for us (my children and I) to stay here and start the paperwork with my hubbie down in the US OR pack up and go now to the USA and start with the EAD and the paperwork there?? I am reading up on everything but cannot help but notice that people have long timelines with their paperwork and waiting and waiting to get to the US. Am I misled?

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.