Holliday

Getting married in 71 days!

20 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

I just left ottawa this past weekend! was only there for a year. we are doing the k1 (fiance) visa so we are getting married in feb, but after we just spent the last 10 months having everything processed.

best of luck at your wedding. and you have found the best website for answering all your visa related questions.

I 29F sent to VSC FEB 7, 2008 (K1)

Packet 3 recieved in May sometime

Medical done June 10/08

Packet 3 documents completed and sent out July 08/ 08

Packet 4 received July 28 (letter dated July 21)

Interview Aug 15, 2008 APPROVED!!!!!!!

Received Visa in mail Aug 20!

Moved to NY Dec 6, 2008!!!

Wedding Feb 28, 2009

Adjustment of Status, Employment Authorization and Advanced Parole Forms all sent to chicago- Mar 12/09

Received Mar 16/09

NOAs for all dated Mar 20/09

HONEYMOON in DisneyWorld: Mar 21-29

Biometrics appt: Apr 8/09

"Welcome to USA" Letter received May 19/09

Green Card received May 26/09!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline
He did go to Algonquin College and he's from Napean...near Craig Henry.

I must say that I visited Ottawa in August and I LOVED it!! Eventually I do want to move there...in about 2-3 yrs.

Ottawa is such a great city because it is just so clean and has a big city-small town feel. I lived downtown for 4 out of my 5 years there. If I were going to move back to Canada, I 'd reside there for sure. The only thing that can be hard is the winters. Come January and February, facing -35 temperatures can be difficult.

"...My hair's mostly wind,

My eyes filled with grit

My skin's white then brown

My lips chapped and split

I've lain on the prairie and heard grasses sigh

I've stared at the vast open bowl of the sky

I've seen all the castles and faces in clouds

My home is the prairie and for that I am proud…

If You're not from the Prairie, you can't know my soul

You don't know our blizzards; you've not fought our cold

You can't know my mind, nor ever my heart

Unless deep within you there's somehow a part…

A part of these things that I've said that I know,

The wind, sky and earth, the storms and the snow.

Best say that you have - and then we'll be one,

For we will have shared that same blazing sun." - David Bouchard

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Welcome Holliday!

Your wedding sounds like lots of fun - which is what a wedding should be:-). I lived in Ottawa for three years as well and my brother and his family live in Stittsville so we do get to visit. It is a beautiful city. Good luck with all of your planning!

“...Isn't it splendid to think of all the things there are to find out about? It just makes me feel glad to be alive--it's such an interesting world. It wouldn't be half so interesting if we knew all about everything, would it? There'd be no scope for imagination then, would there?”

. Lucy Maude Montgomery, Anne of Green Gables

5892822976_477b1a77f7_z.jpg

Another Member of the VJ Fluffy Kitty Posse!

Filed: Country: Canada
Timeline
Hi everyone!

I'm new here, and I just wanted to take the opportunity to introduce myself, since I'll probably be bombarding you all with a ton of questions and stuff over the next many many months. I figure that the Canada forum is the most logical place to post my introduction, since I assume I'll be looking for advice and all that from other Canadians with similar situations. I've been reading through all of the info and guides on here, and I think this site is going to be an incredibly valuable resource for my fiance and I as we begin our "journey". It has already provided us with some great information to start with, which has helped us decide which approach to take as far as when to get married and what kind of visa we will be applying for, etc. So thanks very much to everyone who is involved in putting that information together! :)

To continue on with the long-winded introduction, my name is Erin, and I live in Ottawa. My fiance Jason lives in Tulsa. We will be getting married on February 13, 2009 in Dallas, at the Dallas Stars/Vancouver Canucks hockey game! That's absolutely the coolest wedding I can even imagine! Jason and I are both avid hockey fans, and we actually met kinda because of the Canucks/Stars playoff series in 2007, so having a hockey related wedding makes a whole lot of sense to us. We are both incredibly excited to be getting married at the game. He's a Stars fan (booo!!) and I'm a Canucks fan, so it's really just the perfect situation for us. I'm not going to get a wedding dress, or have flowers or bridesmaids or anything like that. It'll be a really simple ceremony with just a few family members and maybe friends. Heh. I'm going to be wearing my Canucks jersey, and Jason will be wearing a Stars jersey when we get married. Some people might think that sounds tacky, but I think it sounds spectacular.

I guess after we're married we'll be starting the process for a CR1 visa as soon as possible, so that I will eventually be able to move to Tulsa so we can be together. I never in my life imagined that I would wind up falling in love with an American and wanting to move to the U.S. I seriously never thought I'd ever live outside of Canada, and yet here I am planning to do exactly that. Go figure.

I guess that's the ‘short’ version of my story, and I actually have a question, because I want to make sure I’m not missing anything here. Basically, I’ll be flying from Ottawa to Tulsa about a week before the wedding, so that there will be enough time to drive down to Texas to get the marriage license and wait the 3 days for it to be issued. I’ll be returning home to Ottawa a week or so after the wedding, so I’ll be in the U.S. for around 2 weeks. I’m a little nervous about going through customs, because I don’t want to be denied entry. I figure the best way to prove that I don’t intend to immigrate illegally will be having a return plane ticket, and a letter from my boss stating that I’ll only be gone for two weeks and will be returning to work a week after the wedding. I don’t have a lease or anything to bring along, since I live with family. Is there anything else I should be doing to avoid having problems at the border?

Hi there!

I am Becks and a newbie too as of yesterday and we have pretty much the same cool love story!!! I live here in Ottawa too!!! I just married my childhood sweetheart who lives in the State of Maryland and now we are too trying to figure out what are the steps so that my two children and I can move there asap to be with him. I have been given great advice already in only one day - I have been suggested to do the CR1 visa too...have you by any chance gone down to the American Embassy to see a consulate? I am wondering if that is a good idea in order to confirm what the best steps are??? I see that this whole process takes about six months or so if the forms are properly done? Do you have any info to share by any chance as we just want to make sure we take the right steps.

Your ottawa "neighbour"

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

Hello there and welcome,

I would highly recommend to not mention your wedding (and at the same time beeing true in your answer) or else you will just be denied (is there a risk for a ban as well ?).

In all case, take full proof that you will come back in Canada after your trip. I thought the only visa to get married within the states was K1 but I don't know much about the CR-1 so I don't want to give you any bad infos.

Good luck !

Removal of conditions

01.11.2011 Remove conditions GC I-751 ($590)

01.18.2011 NOA1

02.24.2011 Biometric

03.25.2011 Approved

03.28.2011 Notice sent

03.31.2011 Received new green card (and it's green !)

AOS/EAD/AP from K1

07.23.2008 Send AOS/EAD/AP

07.29.2008 Check cashed

08.01.2008 NOA1

08.08.2008 Biometric Notice received

08.21.2008 Biometric Appointment

09.22.2008 Approval notice sent for AP (CRIS email)

09.22.2008 Card production ordered for EAD (CRIS email)

09.25.2008 Card production ordered for EAD (CRIS email) and a couple of touch since (last one 09.30.2008)

09.27.2008 Reception AP

10.02.2008 EAD Received

02.23.2009 Notice for interview (1.5 month late compared to LA statistics)

03.16.2009 AOS Touch

04.01.2009 Interview in LA  // Approved 

04.06.2009 Welcome to the USA Letter

04.13.2009 Reception GC

Naturalization
06/2016 Request
03/2017 Interview

Almost at the end !

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.