trailmix

Have you gained weight since moving to the U.S.?

Weight Gain since moving to the U.S.  

22 members have voted

1. 1. Have you gained weight since moving from Canada to the U.S.?

• Yes
    • No
  2. 2. If you answered yes, AND you have lived in the U.S. LESS than a year - how much have you gained and what do you attribute it to - please select an answer from each category

• 1-5 lbs
    • 6-10 lbs
    • 11-15 lbs
    • 15-20 lbs
    • 21-25 lbs
    • more than 25 lbs
    • n/a
    • Category 2: I attribute this to a change in diet
    • Category 2: I attribute this to a change in physical activity
    • Category 2: I attribute this to a change in diet and physical activity
    • Category 2: I haven't really changed my diet or activity - but still gained weight!
  3. 3. If you answered yes, AND you have lived in the U.S. MORE than a year - how much have you gained?

• 1-5 lbs
    • 6-10 lbs
    • 11-15 lbs
    • 15-20 lbs
    • 21-25 lbs
    • more than 25 lbs
    • n/a
    • Category 2: I attribute this to a change in diet
    • Category 2: I attribute this to a change in physical activity
    • Category 2: I attribute this to a change in diet and physical activity
    • Category 2: I haven't really changed my diet or activity - but still gained weight!

55 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline
I've found Atkins is actually pretty easy. And you do get to eat lots and lots of veggies, just not starchy or carb loaded ones. I've had as many as 3 salads a day. Its all about balance really. And no bread or pasta. After about 3 days, my carb cravings were pretty much gone. I can even say no to ice cream when James is waving it under my nose :P

So far I've just been using the website for info and help, I ordered the book thru a used seller on Amazon, and it hasn't got to me yet :( Here's their website http://community.atkins.com/ Forums and everything.

Its a life long lifestyle change, not just a diet. As I said before, just the benefits of my IBS being gone alone is reason enough for me to keep on it. I feel great!

Yeah I agree Reba, I think it really does work and i'm glad it works so well for you :thumbs: - I bought one of the older books.

I think that we really started out too far in the protein extreme and it wasn't really sustainable. I also think it's wonderful that you are feeling so much better.

Edited by trailmix

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't offcially live here yet but I've done a three month visit. I lost five pounds. I'm sure it's because I've been doing a lot of cooking and using the apartment complex gym regularly. We found a grocery store that has some really amazing and cheap produce. It has almost everything you can imagine including snake beans and Chinese brocoli. It inspires me to cook from scratch.

I really want to try weaning off my anti-depressant meds about a year after I get here for good so I've been working hard to change my lifestyle to support that. Hopefully, the healthy diet and excercise will be well entrenched habits by the end of next year. Then I'll talk to a pshychaitrist about getting off the meds.

~ Catherine

I wish you strength and courage Catherine.

:star:

SpiritAlight edits due to extreme lack of typing abilities. :)

You will do foolish things.

Do them with enthusiasm!!

Don't just do something. Sit there.

K1: Flew to the U.S. of A. – January 9th, 2008 (HELLO CHI-TOWN!!! I'm here.)

Tied the knot (legal ceremony, part one) – January 26th, 2008 (kinda spontaneous)

AOS: Mailed V-Day; received February 15th, 2007 – phew!

I-485 application transferred to CSC – March 12th, 2008

Travel/Work approval notices via email – April 23rd, 2008

Green card/residency card: email notice of approval – August 28th, 2008 yippeeeee!!!

Funny-looking card arrives – September 6th, 2008 :)

Mailed request to remove conditions – July 7, 2010

Landed permanent resident approved – August 23rd, 2010

Second funny looking card arrives – August 31st, 2010

Over & out, Spirit

Fascinating poll Trailmix.

- the corn syrup thingy and other hidden things in processed foods

As I understand it, corn syrup has the same composition as regular cane sugar.

Sent I-130 to VT 25-Oct-2007

I-130 Moved to California 6-August-2008

My petition has been in 3 states (1, twice) in 9 months!

Rec'd by CSC 8/9, touched 8/11, 8/12, 8/15, 8/20, 8/25

Approved Tuesday, 25-August-2008

10 months since we mailed the petition

Rec'd NVC 9/3, Invoice Generated 9/10, DS-3032 emailed 9/11.

Rec'd AOS invoice 9/15, paid online 9/15, Accepted as Paid 9/18, mailed I-864EZ 9/19

IV Invoiced 9/18, paid online 9/19, Accepted as paid 9/22

DS-230 sent 10/2

Case complete @NVC 10/8 - 11 months, 1 week and 6 days

Interview in Montreal December 18, 2008 - scheduled 1 year, 1 week and 3 days after the start of our journey. Takes place 1 year, 1 month, 3 weeks and 2 days after the start...

[X] Passed [ ] Failed Interview

Thursday, April 2, 2009 Activated Visa - 1 year, 5 months, 1 week and 1 day

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Yes, we all agree that it does. However, as stated before, it is in almost every product that does NOT require sugar here in the United States.

"...My hair's mostly wind,

My eyes filled with grit

My skin's white then brown

My lips chapped and split

I've lain on the prairie and heard grasses sigh

I've stared at the vast open bowl of the sky

I've seen all the castles and faces in clouds

My home is the prairie and for that I am proud…

If You're not from the Prairie, you can't know my soul

You don't know our blizzards; you've not fought our cold

You can't know my mind, nor ever my heart

Unless deep within you there's somehow a part…

A part of these things that I've said that I know,

The wind, sky and earth, the storms and the snow.

Best say that you have - and then we'll be one,

For we will have shared that same blazing sun." - David Bouchard

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

There is a distinction between corn syrup and high fructose corn syrup though. Often you'll find that products contain both. It's the HFCS to watch out for.

And Mandy...isn't it crazy how you find it in EVERYTHING?! I couldn't believe it when I saw it in milk! Seriously? They need to sweeten regular milk? :o

October 2006- Met Taktyx playing the World of Warcraft

I-129F

September 26, 2007- I-129F Package sent by courier to CSC

September 28, 2007- Received at CSC

October 29, 2007- NOA1 hardcopy arrives!

February 5, 2008- NOA2!

April 23, 2008- Medical

April 22, 2008- Interview!

April 26, 2008- POE Edmonton

June 5, 2008- Legal wedding

October 11, 2008- Wedding ceremony with family

AOS

December 6, 2008- AOS package mailed

December 8, 2008- Package received

December 15, 2008- Check cashed! WOOHOO!

December 22, 2008- All 3 NOA1's received

January 5, 2009- I-485 transferred to CSC. Here's hoping for no interview!

January 14, 2009- Biometrics

February 23, 2009- EAD and AP received in the mail, dated Feb 14th.

April 23, 2009- Welcome to the United States Letter arrives. Card to follow.

June 1, 2009- GC received in mail. Approval date 04/09/09

Done with USCIS until 04/2011!

Timeline

I don't want to be alarmist, but I have to say, I'm fairly anti-hfcs. There have been a couple of studies that have shown that the consistently higher separated fructose levels may put additional strain above and beyond normal sugar on the pancreas. It's not that I think hfcs is evil or something, I just think it's understudied, if studies are just coming out now that talk about this as a possibility. I don't like putting things into my body that are understudied, as far as processed products go. Yeah, I know, fresh vegetables can have salmonella and stuff! Thing is, those bacteria are often still there when they put it into jars and stuff after processing. I'd rather not put the processed stuff into my body, for the most part. A pop here, a cookie there... but the store cookies never taste as good as homemade anyway!

(not in the US yet, so can't comment on the weight thing, just weighing in on the hfcs thing)

Edited by TayL

March 13, 2009--Visa application handed to the post office.

March 16, 2009--Visa application received by Vermont Service Centre at 11:01 am. Let's hope that he actually put in everything he thought he did and they don't send it back to us!!

March 23, 2009--Got the whole package back. The cheque was apparently filled out incorrectly, thanks to the fact that his moronic flatmates helped him and instructed him wrong for the first cheque he ever filled out.

March 30, 2009--NOA1

August 12, 2009--Touched

September 1, 2009, received Package 1 from Montreal--but where is our NOA2???

Timeline

Tay- I'm absolutely anti-HFCS. I've even got my hubby watching for it now. He's even noticed how different things taste with the HFCS. I don't like it. It makes me feel awful after I eat anything with it in it, so I avoid it at all costs. In general I don't eat much of anything that's processed, but like Marilyn said...it can be in tomatoes! (And milk and bread, etc, etc, etc.....) :) It's just nuts!

October 2006- Met Taktyx playing the World of Warcraft

I-129F

September 26, 2007- I-129F Package sent by courier to CSC

September 28, 2007- Received at CSC

October 29, 2007- NOA1 hardcopy arrives!

February 5, 2008- NOA2!

April 23, 2008- Medical

April 22, 2008- Interview!

April 26, 2008- POE Edmonton

June 5, 2008- Legal wedding

October 11, 2008- Wedding ceremony with family

AOS

December 6, 2008- AOS package mailed

December 8, 2008- Package received

December 15, 2008- Check cashed! WOOHOO!

December 22, 2008- All 3 NOA1's received

January 5, 2009- I-485 transferred to CSC. Here's hoping for no interview!

January 14, 2009- Biometrics

February 23, 2009- EAD and AP received in the mail, dated Feb 14th.

April 23, 2009- Welcome to the United States Letter arrives. Card to follow.

June 1, 2009- GC received in mail. Approval date 04/09/09

Done with USCIS until 04/2011!

Timeline

Yes - as Amanda mentioned, we have clarified that we are aware that HFCS is just....sugar.

I have 2 problems with it.

1. I think everything is pretty much over sweetened in the United States (personally, from the foods I have tried here).

2. It is in things sugar should not be in (like tomatoes or tomato paste - again, this is my personal opinion and when compared to Canadian products I would buy and not find sugar in)

Bottom line, HFCS is cheap, it is a cheap ingredient that gives manufacturers more flavour bang for their buck - that is why they use it.

What is the result of this? The result is that things get over-sweetened. I will give you an example.

If you have a Tablespoon of Heinz ketchup in Canada, it will contain 15 calories. If you have a tablespoon of Heinz ketchup in the United States, it will contain 20 calories.

This is one small example but it's a HUGE deal. Ketchup is a popular condiment. I do not know how many tablespoons of ketchup each person in the U.S. consumes each year, on average, but that's a lot of extra calories for something people probably don't even think twice about eating.

Edited by trailmix

Timeline
Ooops! I did my HFCS blurb on the Coke thread! lol

(Do I need to move it here? :unsure: )

and I did mine here in response to MsZ - and was then thinking, it really belongs in the Coke thread :lol:

Filed: Other Timeline
Yeah I agree Reba, I think it really does work and i'm glad it works so well for you :thumbs: - I bought one of the older books.

I think that we really started out too far in the protein extreme and it wasn't really sustainable. I also think it's wonderful that you are feeling so much better.

The "best edition" according to the forums and website is the 2002 edition. They've added a couple of rungs to phase 2, and the maintenance phases are easier to follow. Plus, with a few more years of scientific study to back it up, more veggies and foods have been added to phase one.

I finally got my book yesterday. Got up to chapter 9 I think before Grey's Anatomy started :whistle:;)

divorced - April 2010 moved back to Ontario May 2010 and surrendered green card

PLEASE DO NOT PRIVATE MESSAGE ME OR EMAIL ME. I HAVE NO IDEA ABOUT CURRENT US IMMIGRATION PROCEDURES!!!!!

Timeline

The "best edition" according to the forums and website is the 2002 edition. They've added a couple of rungs to phase 2, and the maintenance phases are easier to follow. Plus, with a few more years of scientific study to back it up, more veggies and foods have been added to phase one.

I finally got my book yesterday. Got up to chapter 9 I think before Grey's Anatomy started :whistle:;)

My fav show, really the only one I watch on any kind of regular basis.

Wow that's off topic.

Umm, when I watch that show I am not gaining weight unless I am snacking.

Filed: Other Timeline

Its actually bugging the ####### outta me. Too sweet and crazy lately (I mean really? Sex with a freakin' halucination? Its supposed to be a drama, not a fantasy show :P:wacko: ). Too much sugar is not good for anyone, and is not allowed at all on Atkins. ;)

divorced - April 2010 moved back to Ontario May 2010 and surrendered green card

PLEASE DO NOT PRIVATE MESSAGE ME OR EMAIL ME. I HAVE NO IDEA ABOUT CURRENT US IMMIGRATION PROCEDURES!!!!!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.