nathmc31

2 convictions 6 years ago. help!!!

30 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Australia
Timeline

Hello, I am new to this forum.

I was wondering if anyone had any advice from their experiences.

I have 2 Assault convictions 6 years ago, the total sentence I could have recived was 4 years but I was only

given a fine $3000.

Since then, I have served in the Military Police and with the United Nations as a peace keeper. Will my convictions get me denied at the Sydney office.

My USC Fiance is pregnant and living in Australia with me until I have my visa, however she will have to go home soon after the baby is born. Her mother and her insist I go with her. lol

I am being optimistic about it. If I needed a waiver would I even get it?

Thanks for reading my post and looking falward to your replies

flag.gif

Hi nathmc31.

You will definately need a waiver. Give this a read http://travel.state.gov/visa/frvi/ineligib...ities_1364.html there is a section about multiple convictions and that will apply to you. You will need a very strong hardship letter but it is possible.

There is also another very good site that might give you more information. There are several examples of hardship letters. It's called immigrate2us.net. Have a look there and look in the I-601 waiver section. Read through the sticky's at the top.

Good luck,

Baileyj

SHA ZAM!!! I-601 WAIVER APPROVED......10/13/06

11/18/06 Arrived

12/21/06 Filed for Social Security number

12/22/06 Married

01/03/2007 Social Security number arrived

01/10/07 Filed AOS

01/19/07 NOA1

02/05/07 Biometrics

2/6/07 Touch on EAD

02/07 Received RFE and returned information within 2 days

2/24/07 Transferred to California

2/26/07 Received letter (Transfer to California)

3/1/07 AOS email confirmation that case was received in California

3/2/07 AOS Touched again today but no update.

3/5/07 AOS another touch but no update.

4/5/07 EAD Touched again

4/9/07 EAD Touched.

4/10/07 EAD card ordered.

Removal of Conditions

6/8/2009 Sent I-751.

6/12/2009 Check Cashed

6/15/2009 NOA1 Received

6/25/2009 Received biometrics letter

7/13/2009 Biometrics appointment at Indianapolis Indiana

Hi nathmc31,

ditto Vicky's comments.

I don't see why you would be denied getting a visa, but as Vicky said you should be thinking about preparing a good waiver, as cases with multiple convictions (more than one) need one (mine did and I had two).

Lots of things are taken into account with the hardship letters in the waiver application. What the crimes were, how long ago where they, you would certainly need to express that you are a "reformed" character in your letter, and being a UN peacekeeper since then will certainly help.

also that fact that your USC girlfriend is having your child is another important thing that will be a plus for you in the application. The US immigration services don't like to break up families, and there's plenty of waivers that play on the importance of "family unity" etc... and you should do this aswell

also the pass rate for waivers that are processed in the embassy in Sydney may be an important factor.

In summary though I don't see why you can't submit a very good waiver!

regards

Paul :thumbs:

Timeline
Hi nathmc31,

ditto Vicky's comments.

I don't see why you would be denied getting a visa, but as Vicky said you should be thinking about preparing a good waiver, as cases with multiple convictions (more than one) need one (mine did and I had two).

Lots of things are taken into account with the hardship letters in the waiver application. What the crimes were, how long ago where they, you would certainly need to express that you are a "reformed" character in your letter, and being a UN peacekeeper since then will certainly help.

also that fact that your USC girlfriend is having your child is another important thing that will be a plus for you in the application. The US immigration services don't like to break up families, and there's plenty of waivers that play on the importance of "family unity" etc... and you should do this aswell

also the pass rate for waivers that are processed in the embassy in Sydney may be an important factor.

regards

Thanks for the advice.

So you think I will get the waiver. Can you submit a waiver without a Hardship letter? I am extremly worried that I wont get my visa.

Do you know how long it will take to have a waiver approved?

Thanks heaps.

flag.gif

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Ireland
Timeline

I have seen some amazing "hardship letters" on immigrate2us. I thought we would need one (still might) but my fiance's arrests were for drunk & disorderly conduct. I may still have a few letters saved if you want to take a look at them-let me know & I will send them to you.

Good luck

Ni neart go cur le cheile

"Togetherness is Strength"

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

Hi nathmc31,

ditto Vicky's comments.

regards

Thanks for the advice.

So you think I will get the waiver. Can you submit a waiver without a Hardship letter? I am extremly worried that I wont get my visa.

Thanks heaps.

You have to do a hardship letter. That is what the approval is decided upon, although our case was a bit different. After deciding that we were eligible to file the waiver petition, taking our money, letting us pour all our energy into our hardship letters (in London you each have to do one) and making us wait with false hope for 13 weeks, we were ultimately denied on the basis that the charge was unwaiverable and therefore they were not going to even bother considering any hardship to the usa citizen. Whew... thats a long sentence...hope it made sense. We were so worried that we had not included enough in our hardship letters or that our hardships were not great enough and in the end it didn't matter.

Whatever you do write something really strong about what a good person you are now. We wish we had written pages and pages about the circumstances of the arrest, how he wasnt guilty to begin with, how the court lawyer intimidated him into wrongly pleading guilty and how the court was no help to us when we tried to find out more details about what happened that day in court. We wish we had gotten character references. We could have gotten plenty. Everyone respects Tom. We wish we had stressed that he wouldn't be a trusted government employee if he was not a trustworthy person. We wrongly thought that part was all sorted when they let us file the waiver after spending hours checking with supervisors.

Approach every point from more than one angle and hammer it home. Do not let them tell you as they told Tom in his denial letter that he was a "threat to the safety, security and well being of the usa." My God. Anyone who knows Tom knows how absurd that statement is. All he did when he was in the USA visiting was to enjoy my company and pump a bit of money into the USA economy.

This has made me not even want to live in the USA anymore except for the fact that now we cannot be a part of my kids and grandkids lives. They all really loved Tom and were happy for me. That's my hardest hardship, although I am also worried about medical and especially dental care.

For anyone who might wonder what we have been doing since the denial, we found a house to rent about 25 miles east of London Bridge. The two room flat in Brixton just wouldn't have been enough! We moved in at the end of March and I had to return to Michigan on May 10th. Tom broke his toe in a motorscooter accident on his way home from work 10 days before I left and has been off work ever since. That has made the separation unbearable at this time... me knowing he is there in OUR home all day and I can't spend this time with him. Meanwhile I am trying to sort things out here. Somehow I have to liquidate almost everything in this huge house that I have lived in for 30 years. I am exhausted and overwhelmed at this time. I am also more than a little terrified about me having to apply for a fiancee visa now to be allowed to go back to him. Having that denial come after having been given false hope has damaged my normally positive outlook.

If you are wondering what this horrible crime was that has caused our denial, it is the fact that he was riding in a car 9 years ago in which a bit of cannabis was found. Tom didn't even know it was there. Because a tiny amount had fallen out of the car owners bag, they decided to attribute that bit to Tom so they could chalk up two arrests instead of one. Because it happened at Swansea ferry port (they were on their way to Ireland) it got recorded as exporting. Tom never knew that until he sent for his police report for this process. Imagine his shock when he opened that report expecting it to say personal possession (which is waiverable if it is one time only and under 30 grams). Personal possession was what he had pled to in court. He didnt want to plead guilty but the court lawyer frightened him... told him that if he didnt it would go to trial at a higher court and result in a worse punishment. He said that if he pled guilty it would be a small fine and over and done with.. a slap on the wrist. Where is that guy now ?!! He paid a 100 pound fine and now all these years later a much bigger price. When we got the denial letter they seemed most concerned by the fact that no amount was ever listed on the police or court reports. It just said "an amount of cannabis." ermmm... 100 pound fine? do they really think it could have been a large amount or part of a trafficking operation? Don't expect common sense to prevail.

I know your circumstances are much different. I just share all this to warn you to take nothing for granted and do not take the hardship letter lightly. It doesn't hurt to have an alternate plan if you can. We had gone to the interview expecting a denial with no opportunity to file a waiver petition. I had come to England expecting that we would go to the interview, get denied and get on with things. We were mentally ready at that time. The time they stole from us by giving us false hope only to deny us destroyed that mental preparation. We were numb and in shock when we got the denial. It has take 3 months for me to get back to that state of being ready to live there. Practical matters are a little different though. I am totally overwhelmed now that i have returned. I look at all this stuff and do not know how or where to begin. I do not know when i can be ready to go back. I feel ripped from my home because now my home is there with him. The emotional hardships are far greater than I ever imagined when I was writing my hardship letter.

mary

Tom (London)   Mary (Michigan)

Sept. 2003 - meet online, become friends

May 2004 - we have grown close

Nov. 2004 - Tom books a flight to Michigan for Jan. 2005

Jan. 17, 2005 - first meeting at the Detroit Airport, 16 days together!

Feb. 2. 2005 - Tom returns to London. We start investigating our options

April 7, 2005 - Tom arrives for another visit.

April 8, 2005 - engaged.

April 26, 2005 - K1 sent to Nebrasksa. Tom flies back to London :(

May 6, 2005 - NOA1

June 14, 2005 - Tom returns to the USA:)

July 5, 2005 - Tom goes back to London :(

July 25, 2005 - NOA2 email- waited 3 months

Aug. 22, 2005 - Tom receives Packet 3

Sept. 6, 2005 - Packet 3 sent to Embassy

Oct. 20, 2005 - medical in London -booked 7 weeks earlier!

Nov. 9, 2005 - email embassy - have we have been forgotten?

Nov. 15, 2005 - Mary flies to London (Brixton) for 12 weeks

Nov. 18, 2005 - embassy replies to email, date assigned

Nov. 22, 2005 - Packet 4 received

Nov. 25, 2005 - interview in London - DENIED :(

Nov. 30, 2005 - mailed waiver

Feb. 6, 2006 - still waiting for decision. Mary extends stay from Feb. 7 to March 21

March 3, 2006 - WAIVER DENIED :(

March 2006 - Mary extends UK stay again. We rent a house near London (Gravesend) and move.

May 10th - Mary returns to USA - torn apart again

June 27, 2006 - Mary receives UK fiance visa

July 31,2006 - Mary sells house in USA

Sept. 1, 2006 - Mary moves to UK

Oct. 9, 2006 - wedding

Timeline

Hi nathmc31,

ditto Vicky's comments.

regards

Thanks for the advice.

Thanks heaps.

You have to do a hardship letter. That is what the approval is decided upon, although our case was a bit different. After deciding that we were eligible to file the waiver petition, taking our money, letting us pour all our energy into our hardship letters (in London you each have to do one) and making us wait with false hope for 13 weeks, we were ultimately denied on the basis that the charge was unwaiverable and therefore they were not going to even bother considering any hardship to the usa citizen. Whew... thats a long sentence...hope it made sense. We were so worried that we had not included enough in our hardship letters or that our hardships were not great enough and in the end it didn't matter.

Whatever you do write something really strong about what a good person you are now. We wish we had written pages and pages about the circumstances of the arrest, how he wasnt guilty to begin with, how the court lawyer intimidated him into wrongly pleading guilty and how the court was no help to us when we tried to find out more details about what happened that day in court. We wish we had gotten character references. We could have gotten plenty. Everyone respects Tom. We wish we had stressed that he wouldn't be a trusted government employee if he was not a trustworthy person. We wrongly thought that part was all sorted when they let us file the waiver after spending hours checking with supervisors.

Approach every point from more than one angle and hammer it home. Do not let them tell you as they told Tom in his denial letter that he was a "threat to the safety, security and well being of the usa." My God. Anyone who knows Tom knows how absurd that statement is. All he did when he was in the USA visiting was to enjoy my company and pump a bit of money into the USA economy.

This has made me not even want to live in the USA anymore except for the fact that now we cannot be a part of my kids and grandkids lives. They all really loved Tom and were happy for me. That's my hardest hardship, although I am also worried about medical and especially dental care.

For anyone who might wonder what we have been doing since the denial, we found a house to rent about 25 miles east of London Bridge. The two room flat in Brixton just wouldn't have been enough! We moved in at the end of March and I had to return to Michigan on May 10th. Tom broke his toe in a motorscooter accident on his way home from work 10 days before I left and has been off work ever since. That has made the separation unbearable at this time... me knowing he is there in OUR home all day and I can't spend this time with him. Meanwhile I am trying to sort things out here. Somehow I have to liquidate almost everything in this huge house that I have lived in for 30 years. I am exhausted and overwhelmed at this time. I am also more than a little terrified about me having to apply for a fiancee visa now to be allowed to go back to him. Having that denial come after having been given false hope has damaged my normally positive outlook.

If you are wondering what this horrible crime was that has caused our denial, it is the fact that he was riding in a car 9 years ago in which a bit of cannabis was found. Tom didn't even know it was there. Because a tiny amount had fallen out of the car owners bag, they decided to attribute that bit to Tom so they could chalk up two arrests instead of one. Because it happened at Swansea ferry port (they were on their way to Ireland) it got recorded as exporting. Tom never knew that until he sent for his police report for this process. Imagine his shock when he opened that report expecting it to say personal possession (which is waiverable if it is one time only and under 30 grams). Personal possession was what he had pled to in court. He didnt want to plead guilty but the court lawyer frightened him... told him that if he didnt it would go to trial at a higher court and result in a worse punishment. He said that if he pled guilty it would be a small fine and over and done with.. a slap on the wrist. Where is that guy now ?!! He paid a 100 pound fine and now all these years later a much bigger price. When we got the denial letter they seemed most concerned by the fact that no amount was ever listed on the police or court reports. It just said "an amount of cannabis." ermmm... 100 pound fine? do they really think it could have been a large amount or part of a trafficking operation? Don't expect common sense to prevail.

I know your circumstances are much different. I just share all this to warn you to take nothing for granted and do not take the hardship letter lightly. It doesn't hurt to have an alternate plan if you can. We had gone to the interview expecting a denial with no opportunity to file a waiver petition. I had come to England expecting that we would go to the interview, get denied and get on with things. We were mentally ready at that time. The time they stole from us by giving us false hope only to deny us destroyed that mental preparation. We were numb and in shock when we got the denial. It has take 3 months for me to get back to that state of being ready to live there. Practical matters are a little different though. I am totally overwhelmed now that i have returned. I look at all this stuff and do not know how or where to begin. I do not know when i can be ready to go back. I feel ripped from my home because now my home is there with him. The emotional hardships are far greater than I ever imagined when I was writing my hardship letter.

mary

Mary-heartbreaking. I remember reading about your case somewhere a few months ago. I am so sorry that the waiver did not help you guys.

I do hope things are easier for you in the future-I can't even imagine how devastated you must have been. good luck with everything (F)

Colleen

Hi nathmc31,

ditto Vicky's comments.

regards

Thanks for the advice.

Thanks heaps.

Hey nathmc31,

As the previous posters have said you will need a waiver, and perhaps if you are lucky (like irish girl, you won't) but you MUST be prepared for the former outcome..... and so take the I-601 with the two hardship letters to your visa interview.

Don't worry yourself sick over this, you will either have to file a waiver or not, and if you speak to people on here and immigrate2us.net and like people have said look at all the examples of waivers that have PASSED and even FAILED, you will be in an extremely good position before your interview.

As far as how long it takes???? well I can't speak for Sydney but at present the London embassy estimates 12-15 weeks to process their waivers.

hang in there mate, you'll be fine :thumbs:

Paul

Hi nathmc31,

ditto Vicky's comments.

regards

Thanks for the advice.

Thanks heaps.

Hey nathmc31,

As the previous posters have said you will need a waiver, and perhaps if you are lucky (like irish girl, you won't) but you MUST be prepared for the former outcome..... and so take the I-601 with the two hardship letters to your visa interview.

Don't worry yourself sick over this, you will either have to file a waiver or not, and if you speak to people on here and immigrate2us.net and like people have said look at all the examples of waivers that have PASSED and even FAILED, you will be in an extremely good position before your interview.

As far as how long it takes???? well I can't speak for Sydney but at present the London embassy estimates 12-15 weeks to process their waivers.

Paul

sorry Irish girl, I misread your last post, you may still need one after all..... ok

Timeline

Ok thank you everyone for those comments.

So my next question is, Why 2 hardship letters?

What is the second on for?

Do you think it will be a formality doing the waiver or should I be ###### scared?

Thanks, I will wait for your responses.

I have seen some amazing "hardship letters" on immigrate2us. I thought we would need one (still might) but my fiance's arrests were for drunk & disorderly conduct. I may still have a few letters saved if you want to take a look at them-let me know & I will send them to you.

Good luck

Could you please send me those waiver examples?

Thanks for the response.

flag.gif

Timeline

Hi nathmc31,

ditto Vicky's comments.

regards

Thanks for the advice.

Thanks heaps.

Hey nathmc31,

Paul

Hi nathmc31,

ditto Vicky's comments.

regards

Thanks for the advice.

Thanks heaps.

Hey nathmc31,

Paul

sorry Irish girl, I misread your last post, you may still need one after all..... ok

I guess I won't know until he goes for the interview-I was going to prepare a a harship letter but was assured by quite a few people that he probably won't need a waiver. He was arrested on paddy's day for drunk & disorderly conduct & I think there is something on his record for litter. He was arrested with 20 other people they were arrested & released. Guess it depends on what kind of mood they are in that day-I pray we won't need to file a waiver. Paul-why did you have to file the 601?(hope you don't mind me asking).

Colleen

Edited by irishgirl73

OK this answer is for irish girl AND nathmc31,

Irish girl, I had to file a waiver because I had two previous convictions, one for drunk driving and the other I would prefer not to disclose (but it was a minor offence). I'm not quite sure of your circumstances but if your hubby has more than one previous conviction, chances are he'll need waiver. If it was just one and it was the one you are referring to, then he MAY not.

The thing is it all comes down to luck in the end (I think). I remember spending many hours researching whether two convictions meant a waiver and there's even a clause in the US embassy literature under multiple convictions that says something like "if you have two convictions but they do not constitute CIMT then you won't need a waiver". However the guy behind the screen at the embassy didn't say this, and I was hardly gonna argue with him eh????

and so if you do not want to go through the pain of being told you will need a waiver, and have to go home and prepare all of it and then send it back in to the embassy via post (which will add at least 1 month on to the time you will wait anyway which is 12-15 weeks for London) then have one prepared anyway, how can it hurt?

nathmc31, I'm not sure if you need TWO hardshipe letters mate!! London DOES require two, but as far as I know it's the only embassy that does. You may need to speak to someone who's gone through Sydney. As far as examples, like previous posters have said, go to immigrate2us.net and look through the stickies, there's loads on there from embassies all over the world, it will help.

:thumbs:

Paul

Timeline

Thanks paul :thumbs:

I didn't prepare for a waiver becasue I wasn't sure what he would need one for(2 day overstay or the drunk & disorderly). I guess I could try to prepare one just in case :huh: I spoke to a bunch of people here & a few attorneys & they thought he wouldn't need one, but if it comes down to luck..................we haven't had much so I guess I should start typing. I was told the drunk & disorderly wasn't a big deal.

I found some good letters on immigrate2us-but again, I wasn't sure where to begin. I don't have children, I don't have any medical disorders, I don't know what kind of letter to write. It has to be about how I can't live in Ireland-right?

Ah well-let me start investigating

thanks for your post

Colleen

• 1 month later...
Timeline

update!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!-my man went for his interview on 7/14-he was asked to get a transcript from the local courthouse. The man who interviewed him said everything looked great-but they need to make sure the drunk& disordely charge was just taken care of with a fine. I also read that if his convictions don't equal a five year penalty-he doesn't need a waiver! I think he is going to get the visa & from what the embassy told him-I don't think he will need a waiver. My question.....................has anyone had to furnish copies of court transcripts? if so-how did you go about getting them? Just hope it won't take too long :(

thanks ;)

Edited by irishgirl73

My question.....................has anyone had to furnish copies of court transcripts? if so-how did you go about getting them? Just hope it won't take too long :(

thanks ;)

I am pretty sure it is requested if you have a conviction against you. He needs to write to the courthouse that dealt with the court case and request the info....I don't know if they will make a charge or not.

Irishgirl,

I think by "transcripts" you mean a memorandum of conviction??

Your partner should have applied to the court for a memorandum of conviction before the interview and took them with him....

They should be relatively easy to get, I think they cost about 10 pounds....

good luck

Paul

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.