trailmix

Proving domicile when not living in the U.S.

990 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

I hear of couples meeting thru WoW alot!!! No need to be embarrassed! With this day and age, internet makes everything and anything possible!

Are you able to go to a physical RBC branch in the US? All I can find the RBC US website are ATMs... The account manager at my home branch in Toronto told me that they did have US branches but that's been changed.

Like I said, I don't go to branches.

Regardless of if they are really gone, they don't need to be there.

You scan checks to deposit them, and they refund you for using atms out of their network.

Although, this seems pretty cool, I just searched for no-fee ATMs in my area (previously were none)

It seems they are contracting out of PNC (or maybe they're the same company now?) And there's a TON now!

Also, check out this neat thing I just noticed that I'm sure a lot of canadians didn't see:

Choose RBC Access USA®! It’s a simple banking package that gives you seamless access to manage your Canadian and U.S. accounts and lets you use your Canadian credit history to qualify for loans here in the U.S.

Here's a list of the accounts available:

http://www.rbcbank.com/products-and-services/cid-297479.html

oldlady.gif

Timeline

Hi All - we recently just got our NOA2 and much quicker than expected (yay!). However, I'm now concerned about domicile as my husband only recently moved to the US (has never lived in the US before) and is staying in long-term temporary housing while trying find a permanent apartment in NYC. The apartment hunt has been very involved and stressful - he's probably looked at 20+ apartments without finding something suitable in our budget (I thought Toronto was bad!).

We want to take our time finding the right place, so may not have a permanent address for a couple months. Do people think it will be an issue if we don't have a lease before the interview? We can show the following:

1. Employment letter in the US (he started working mid-Jan)

2. Agreement with long-term hotel (currently paid until March 1)

3. Contracts/correspondence with various real estate brokers showing places viewed

4. Agreement putting our house in Canada up for lease

5. US bank account/credit card (no voter card and he does not want to get a NY drivers licence until we have a lease)

Also, for the affidavit of support, would you recommend using his US work address for the mailing address, and putting the long-term hotel as the domicile for now (or will this be a problem since this will change soon)? Same for the DS-261 - is it okay to use his work address, or does this need to match up with domicile? I really want to avoid and RFE!

Thanks in advance for any insights!

USCIS
2009-08-03 - Marriage
2012-12-19 - I-130 Sent
2012-12-20 - NOA1
2013-01-25 - NOA2 - email(36 days from NOA1 date)
2013-01-29 - Email saying NOA2 was mailed to me on Jan 28
2013-02-04 - Email saying case sent to NVC
2013-02-08 - Received hardcopy of NOA2 (Notice Date Jan. 28, 2013).

NVC
2013-02-11 - NVC Received
2013-02-28 - Case Number, IIN, BIN assigned, OPTIN email sent
2013-03-01 - Completed DS-261 online(DS-3032), resent OPTIN email
2013-03-04 - Received/Paid AOS I-864 Bill
2013-03-05 - OPTIN accepted
2013-03-06 - AOS I-864 Bill Appears as PAID, AOS I-864 Package sent by email
2013-03-12 - Email from NVC that AOS I-864 Package Received
2013-03-12 - AOS Reviewed and Approved (per NVC operator)
2013-03-15 - False Checklist Received(AOS Approved)
2013-03-18 - DS-261 Accepted
2013-03-20 - Receive/Pay IV Bill
2013-03-22 - IV Bill Appears as PAID
2013-03-22 - Submit DS-260 online, emailed supporting documents
2013-04-01 - Supporting IV Documents Received (email)
2013-04-02 - CASE COMPLETE
2013-04-04 - Received false checklist for passport photos (email); received hardcopy false checklist for DS-261
2013-04-10 - Recieved case complete confirmation email

2013-04-29 - Medical in Toronto

2013-05-15 - Interview in Montreal - APPROVED!!

2013-05-21 - Picked up VISA from Loomis

2013-05-27 - POE

Timeline

Firstly, at this stage you can slow down the process by not submitting the 864 and 261 until you are ready. Or you can submit the 261 and wait until you have an apartment to submit the affidavit of support.

We did not have a US address when we submitted these but included other evidence of reestablishing domicile. We did not get an RFE but. as expected, this was the area that they were interested in at my interview and visa was granted based on confirmation of employment and they didn't seem interested in a house purchase that was in escrow but you never know if the two together made any difference.

Why doesn't your husband get a PO Box that can be used as a mailing address and then use the long term hotel as place of residence?

1 Dec 2011 Mailed I-130
8 Dec 2011 NOA 1
20 Dec 2011 NOA 2

NVC

17 Jan 2012 Phoned NVC. Case Number allocated
18 Jan 2012 Emails received re AOS fee and Agent
20 Jan 2012 Electronic opt in email sent & response received
20 Jan 2012 AOS fee paid
20 Jan 2012 Form DS-261 Choice of agent filed
27 Jan 2012 Email received re choice of agent received. Can now pay IV bill
29 Jan 2012 IV bill paid
31 Jan 2012 Received written notification case at NVC (dated 18 Jan)
8 Feb 2012 Emailed AOS
9 Feb 2012 DS-260 submitted online & docs emailed
14 Feb 2012 Case Complete
5 Mar 2012 received email - interview date 10 April
10 Apr 2012 Visa Approved
10 Apr 2012 Email from Loomis - passport picked up from Consulate

June 2012 Moved back to US

Timeline

Firstly, at this stage you can slow down the process by not submitting the 864 and 261 until you are ready. Or you can submit the 261 and wait until you have an apartment to submit the affidavit of support.

We did not have a US address when we submitted these but included other evidence of reestablishing domicile. We did not get an RFE but. as expected, this was the area that they were interested in at my interview and visa was granted based on confirmation of employment and they didn't seem interested in a house purchase that was in escrow but you never know if the two together made any difference.

Why doesn't your husband get a PO Box that can be used as a mailing address and then use the long term hotel as place of residence?

Thanks for the advice gad33! We do not want to slow down the process in any way, so I think we will get a PO Box to use as a mailing address.

USCIS
2009-08-03 - Marriage
2012-12-19 - I-130 Sent
2012-12-20 - NOA1
2013-01-25 - NOA2 - email(36 days from NOA1 date)
2013-01-29 - Email saying NOA2 was mailed to me on Jan 28
2013-02-04 - Email saying case sent to NVC
2013-02-08 - Received hardcopy of NOA2 (Notice Date Jan. 28, 2013).

NVC
2013-02-11 - NVC Received
2013-02-28 - Case Number, IIN, BIN assigned, OPTIN email sent
2013-03-01 - Completed DS-261 online(DS-3032), resent OPTIN email
2013-03-04 - Received/Paid AOS I-864 Bill
2013-03-05 - OPTIN accepted
2013-03-06 - AOS I-864 Bill Appears as PAID, AOS I-864 Package sent by email
2013-03-12 - Email from NVC that AOS I-864 Package Received
2013-03-12 - AOS Reviewed and Approved (per NVC operator)
2013-03-15 - False Checklist Received(AOS Approved)
2013-03-18 - DS-261 Accepted
2013-03-20 - Receive/Pay IV Bill
2013-03-22 - IV Bill Appears as PAID
2013-03-22 - Submit DS-260 online, emailed supporting documents
2013-04-01 - Supporting IV Documents Received (email)
2013-04-02 - CASE COMPLETE
2013-04-04 - Received false checklist for passport photos (email); received hardcopy false checklist for DS-261
2013-04-10 - Recieved case complete confirmation email

2013-04-29 - Medical in Toronto

2013-05-15 - Interview in Montreal - APPROVED!!

2013-05-21 - Picked up VISA from Loomis

2013-05-27 - POE

Timeline

When you go for the interview remember to take with you proof of your husband's employment in the US. Although we had sent in proof with the 864 I was glad I had DH's letter of employment when I went to the interview as the interviewer had not looked at the file before seeing me and did not know it was in there.

Also, if you have an apartment or such by the time of interview don't forget to take all the proof.

1 Dec 2011 Mailed I-130
8 Dec 2011 NOA 1
20 Dec 2011 NOA 2

NVC

20 Jan 2012 AOS fee paid
29 Jan 2012 IV bill paid
8 Feb 2012 Emailed AOS

• 3 weeks later...
Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: France
Timeline

Hello :)

We recently got our NOA1 but we worry about all this. My american husband is in France with me since 2 years. He was living at his parent's before, he still has his bedroom ready there for when we will move.

The problem is we don't have much to prove that he is going to re-establish domicile in USA...

He has a NY driver's licence that expired just after he arrived in France but he can't renew until we arrive there.

He doesn't have any US bank account either.

I am going to sell all my furniture so we can't even provide a moving estimate from a company.

We will be just coming back to his parent's with 4 suitcases and my cat, starting from zero.

The only thing we could submit is the proof that he voted for the last presidential elections and a letter from his parents stating that we are going to live in their house when we arrive (which is the place where my husband used to live, all his papers have this address but he doesn't own the place).

Do you think it will be enough ? We really worry about this.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Sorry if this is a silly question- but are you going through the Montreal consulate, or a consulate in France?

The requirements between consulates vary, and Montreal is just a bit harsh for evidence of domicile. It might be different in France, and so you might have a better idea of what you'll need if you post in the appropriate regional forum if you're not going through Montreal.

Edited by pocheros

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: France
Timeline

Sorry if this is a silly question- but are you going through the Montreal consulate, or a consulate in France?

The requirements between consulates vary, and Montreal is just a bit harsh for evidence of domicile. It might be different in France, and so you might have a better idea of what you'll need if you post in the appropriate regional forum if you're not going through Montreal.

Ugh no it's not a silly question. I made a reseach on the forum and I found this topic, read the title and didn't pay attention that if was only in the Canada section for the Montreal consulate. I am going to file in Paris.

Sorry, I'm confused :blush:

Timeline

Ugh no it's not a silly question. I made a reseach on the forum and I found this topic, read the title and didn't pay attention that if was only in the Canada section for the Montreal consulate. I am going to file in Paris.

Sorry, I'm confused :blush:

The info on this whole thread pertains to the USA Consulate in Montreal. What you may have to go through in FRANCE--can be a lot different, so best to post your questions/concerns over in the France forum. Best of luck

Canadians Visiting the USA while undergoing the visa process, my free advice:

1) Always tell the TRUTH. never lie to the POE officer

2) Be confident in ur replies

3) keep ur response short and to the point, don't tell ur life story!!

4) look the POE officer in the eye when speaking to them. They are looking for people lieing and have been trained to find them!

5) Pack light! No job resumes with you

6) Bring ties to Canada (letter from employer when ur expected back at work, lease, etc etc)

7) Always be polite, being rude isn't going to get ya anywhere, and could make things worse!!

8) Have a plan in case u do get denied (be polite) It wont harm ur visa application if ur denied,that is if ur polite and didn't lie! Refer to #1

• 4 weeks later...
Timeline

My husband and I are not completely at this stage yet but I do have a question.(I'm the petitioner)

I can submit a "lease" that we've made with my parents, it's an open ended arrival with open ended leave, up to 2 years and is in NE.

However my husband and I are thinking about going to OR instead, so we can continue our education and actually hold jobs.

Would this be seen as conflicting information? My permanent residence is in NE, I'm on a study permit in Canada so anywhere I go up here is legally only a temporary address. We don't want to actually have to move there unless we have to since there's nothing there for us in terms of living our lives/dreams.

Would our lease with my parents, job application/hunt in NE and OR, Apartment search in OR, quotes for plane/moving, my valid NE driver's lic and voter registration, USA college/university acceptance letter/transfer request &/or class registration, fafsa(lists of schools sent for- in US) be good enough?

Maybe I'm over thinking things?

Thank you!

S56Lm8.png
rFeXm8.png
ItOPm8.png

tumblr_mrvxcz23hi1rhdguto1_400.png
tumblr_mrvxcz23hi1rhdguto2_1280.png
tumblr_msyxny883n1rhdguto1_1280.png
19/09/13 - 3rd checklist for Police Record, claiming nothing was attached to the email. Checked sent email- it was attached (downloaded to make sure the file wasn't corrupt, it was fine.)
01/10/13 - Case complete- finally!
03/10/13 - "The National Visa Center has forwarded your file to the US Embassy/Consulate General where you are applying for an immigrant visa."- recieved P4.
22/10/13 - Medical exam - Montreal @ Medisys - Time: 1h 50m Cost: $290 for exam, $20 for flu shot, $45 dtap. Total: $355. Score 6/10 - bad/insufficient office management.

04/11/13 - Medical papers in hand. Becareful, our package was in cheap envelopes stapled together...
20-11-13 - Interview - APPROVED!

20-11-13 - ISSUED but in AP.

22-11-13 - Issued - PRINTED.

25-11-13 - shipped.

29-11-13 - picked up. smile.png

03-12-13 - Flight to Vancouver to pickup the rest of our stuff from storage. Also our first wedding anniversary. <3

04-12-13 - POE Peace Arch - Pacific Highway

06/12/13 - Home

10/01/14 - SAVE contacted SSA office on our behalf and SSA accepted the SSN application

18/01/14 - SSN arrived

22/01/14 - Received driver's license.

24/01/14 - Green card received in mail!

Timeline

Keep it simple. Don't send a lease for NE and information for moving to Ore. If at the time of the interview you (the USC) are still in Canada and don't have anywhere to live on Ore then use your parents address and lease and the other docs you listed with the NE address. If asked what you are going to do back in the US you would say that you are hoping to go to school.

I'm assuming that you are not going to move back to your parents before the interview.

My husband and I are not completely at this stage yet but I do have a question.(I'm the petitioner)

I can submit a "lease" that we've made with my parents, it's an open ended arrival with open ended leave, up to 2 years and is in NE.

However my husband and I are thinking about going to OR instead, so we can continue our education and actually hold jobs.

Would this be seen as conflicting information? My permanent residence is in NE, I'm on a study permit in Canada so anywhere I go up here is legally only a temporary address. We don't want to actually have to move there unless we have to since there's nothing there for us in terms of living our lives/dreams.

Would our lease with my parents, job application/hunt in NE and OR, Apartment search in OR, quotes for plane/moving, my valid NE driver's lic and voter registration, USA college/university acceptance letter/transfer request &/or class registration, fafsa(lists of schools sent for- in US) be good enough?

Maybe I'm over thinking things?

Thank you!

1 Dec 2011 Mailed I-130
8 Dec 2011 NOA 1
20 Dec 2011 NOA 2

NVC

20 Jan 2012 AOS fee paid
29 Jan 2012 IV bill paid
8 Feb 2012 Emailed AOS

• 3 weeks later...
Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

hello,

i have a quick question. I am a dual US/Can citizen. I recently got married to a canadian. Im currently living in Detroit and shes in windsor, border cities. I have to apply for her and my job starts in the US in the summer. Due to the close proximity however, I was thinking of moving to canada and applying for her from Canada and commuting to work everyday. Basically i would be a DCF case but since its not allowed ill have to go through the chicago lockbox. My question is that since i will be applying from canada, do i have to show that i have been living there for some time, as i will probably move in may. Also, when proving domicile back in the US, would an apartment lease and letter from employment be enough to prove that I will be moving back to the states after my wife's paperwork is approved. secondly, will the process be faster if i stayed in the US and applied for her from there or if I moved to canada and applied from Canada?

Please advise.

Timeline

hello,

i have a quick question. I am a dual US/Can citizen. I recently got married to a canadian. Im currently living in Detroit and shes in windsor, border cities. I have to apply for her and my job starts in the US in the summer. Due to the close proximity however, I was thinking of moving to canada and applying for her from Canada and commuting to work everyday. Basically i would be a DCF case but since its not allowed ill have to go through the chicago lockbox. My question is that since i will be applying from canada, do i have to show that i have been living there for some time, as i will probably move in may. Also, when proving domicile back in the US, would an apartment lease and letter from employment be enough to prove that I will be moving back to the states after my wife's paperwork is approved. secondly, will the process be faster if i stayed in the US and applied for her from there or if I moved to canada and applied from Canada?

Please advise.

DCF is no longer avail for Canadians. You will be going thru the same process as everyone else :( My husband lives in Toronto with me and we filed from Canada and are just waiting for case complete and interview. We started our process in December 2012. I have a feeling that citizens filing from abroad tend to get their files completed faster but I"m not entirely too sure about that.

IR-1/CR-1 Visa

I am the BENEFICIARY

May 08: Met online via PS3/Call of Duty Multiplayer game; began chatting and playing regularly.
06/10/09: We become a couple <3
11/06/10: Engaged!!! (Technically we've been engaged for months, but he never had a chance to put a ring on me until Nov 6)
10/10/10: Married in Toronto!
03/2011: Filed for hubby's Canadian Permanent Residence.
10/11: Hubby's PR approved and moved to Toronto! (He just didn't like living here)

I-130
12/15/12: Mailed I-130 to Chicago
12/21/12: Received NOA1 via text/email, file routed to NBC
01/29/13: Received NOA2 via email (40 days since filing I-130)

NVC - ELECTRONIC PROCESSING FROM CANADA
02/06/2013: NVC Received
02/25/2013: Received IIN and BIN numbers
03/05/2013: Received Opt-in Confirmation email
03/26/2013: Received DS-260 / I-864 Bill
03/26/2013: Pay I-864 Bill
04/04/2013: Emailed Completed I-864
02/26/2013: Return Completed DS-261
02/26/2013: Return Completed DS-260
03/26/2013: Receive IV Bill
03/26/2013: IV Bill PAID
04/04/2013: Emailed Completed IV Packet
04/17/2013: AOS RFE Received sad.png
04/17/2013: Return RFE
04/30/2013: Case Completed at NVC

POST NVC

05/27/2013: Medical

06/17/2013: Interview/APPROVED!!!

06/19/2013: Visa ready for Pickup

xx/xx/xxxx: POE

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

i'm aware that DCF is not available in Canada. My question is in regards to what would be enough to prove domicile in my situation. I can get a letter for emmployment which is a 3 year contract and i can get an apartment lease as well. From what i have heard the montreal consulate is harsher on the domicile issue so i want to know what else should i have to make my case stronger. i have been living in the US for the past 5 years so i have bank statements and everything else. I will only be moving to canada temporarily so that I live with my wife and commute to US (Windsor/Detroit) while waiting for our paperwork to clear. Therefore i will be applying from Canada. my intent is to move back asap right after clearence of paperwork

DCF is no longer avail for Canadians. You will be going thru the same process as everyone else :( My husband lives in Toronto with me and we filed from Canada and are just waiting for case complete and interview. We started our process in December 2012. I have a feeling that citizens filing from abroad tend to get their files completed faster but I"m not entirely too sure about that.

Timeline

i'm aware that DCF is not available in Canada. My question is in regards to what would be enough to prove domicile in my situation. I can get a letter for emmployment which is a 3 year contract and i can get an apartment lease as well. From what i have heard the montreal consulate is harsher on the domicile issue so i want to know what else should i have to make my case stronger. i have been living in the US for the past 5 years so i have bank statements and everything else. I will only be moving to canada temporarily so that I live with my wife and commute to US (Windsor/Detroit) while waiting for our paperwork to clear. Therefore i will be applying from Canada. my intent is to move back asap right after clearence of paperwork

\If you go back 1 page--you will see what a few others have done

Canadians Visiting the USA while undergoing the visa process, my free advice:

1) Always tell the TRUTH. never lie to the POE officer

2) Be confident in ur replies

3) keep ur response short and to the point, don't tell ur life story!!

4) look the POE officer in the eye when speaking to them. They are looking for people lieing and have been trained to find them!

5) Pack light! No job resumes with you

6) Bring ties to Canada (letter from employer when ur expected back at work, lease, etc etc)

7) Always be polite, being rude isn't going to get ya anywhere, and could make things worse!!

8) Have a plan in case u do get denied (be polite) It wont harm ur visa application if ur denied,that is if ur polite and didn't lie! Refer to #1

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.