A&V

Travel with AP

8 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

Hello everybody!

I have overstayed my visa and pending AOS. I got the AP and I really want to visit my familly for Christmas it has been more then 5 years since I didn't see them. My question is will I have problems in re-enter in US because of the explanations on the AP...overstaying for more the 180 days. And do I need to get a visa in my country...will they let me to board without one?

I have found all the answers that I needed filling the AOS it is a great forum...but I can't figure out this.

Thank you all! :help:

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline
Hello everybody!

I have overstayed my visa and pending AOS. I got the AP and I really want to visit my familly for Christmas it has been more then 5 years since I didn't see them. My question is will I have problems in re-enter in US because of the explanations on the AP...overstaying for more the 180 days. And do I need to get a visa in my country...will they let me to board without one?

I have found all the answers that I needed filling the AOS it is a great forum...but I can't figure out this.

Thank you all! :help:

If you have accumulated more than 180 days of out-of-status time between the time your visa expired and you filed for AOS, yes, you will have problems if you try to use an Advance Parole. They will give you an Advance Parole when you apply for it, but that doesn't negate any out of status time. When you try to return to the US the out of status time will come up on the computer and you will be denied re-entry to the US and incur an automatic ban, either 3 years if your out of status time is between half a year and one year - and if your out of status time is over one year, it will be an automatic 10 year ban. You would have to either wait it out and then start the immigration process all over again, or start the immigration process all over again but try to get a hardship waiver for the ban - and they are not easy to get.

You don't need a visa going back to your home country as you are still a citizen of that country but I think it is almost definite, given the circumstances you have presented, that you would not be allowed back into the US and will be turned back at the border, even with the AP.

I know that it is a long time since being home but you are so close to getting your green card, do you really want to risk it all now when you will have it all in just a few more weeks or months wait? Wait until you get your green card - out of status time will not matter then - and you can visit your family. It may not be for Christmas, but really, is visiting for Christmas worth a 3 year or 10 year ban plus having to start the immigration process all over again, but trying to get a hardship waiver as well?

Just be a little bit more patient. You have waited this long; you can wait a little bit longer. It will be worth it in the long run even though it sucks now.

Edited by Kathryn41

“...Isn't it splendid to think of all the things there are to find out about? It just makes me feel glad to be alive--it's such an interesting world. It wouldn't be half so interesting if we knew all about everything, would it? There'd be no scope for imagination then, would there?”

. Lucy Maude Montgomery, Anne of Green Gables

5892822976_477b1a77f7_z.jpg

Another Member of the VJ Fluffy Kitty Posse!

Filed: Timeline

I came on J1 visa. I know that usually they check for your criminal record when you come back with AP. I was really looking for somebody who did the same thing and had no problems in returning or to share their experience. Well every case is different here. Most probably I will try to talk to a lawyer to see how big the risk is. I don't want to find myself in a crazy situation.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline
I came on J1 visa. I know that usually they check for your criminal record when you come back with AP. I was really looking for somebody who did the same thing and had no problems in returning or to share their experience. Well every case is different here. Most probably I will try to talk to a lawyer to see how big the risk is. I don't want to find myself in a crazy situation.

I believe that no one dares to go out the country if he/she is overstayed even had a Advance parole document to return after the foreign visit. Most of the applicants who are applying for adjustment of status are aware that overstaying will be resulted to 3 or 10 yrs bans. That's why most of them did not apply for AP. Don't risk any hardship you been tru. Be patient...wait unitl your green card will arive.

Edited by jhunjhun

"Have faith in God, Jesus answered. I'll tell you the truth. if anyone says to this mountain, Go, throw yourself to the sea, and that does not doubt in his heart but believes that what he says will happen. it will be done for him. Therefore I'll tell you, whatever you ask for in prayer, believe that you have received it, and it will be yours" (MARK 11:22-24)

Don't do it!!! :) Kathryn's advice is right on. I used my AP after filing AOS from a tourist visa, but I had zero overstay. I still have read many places that even doing that is a bad idea, and I was nervous coming back. It is very unlikely that you will find anyone on here who has done this at all. It is universally deemed to be a bad, bad idea.

You are in exactly the same position you were in before you had AP—out of status (pending AOS) with accumulated overstay. It does not guarantee re-entry. It does not even necessarily help. I don't even think they factor it in when assessing your eligibility to re-enter. I believe they look mostly at your accumulated legal and illegal stay. Go home for a celebratory visit the day you have your GC in hand, whe you know for sure you will have no problems returning. You are still basically out of status right now.

When you talk to a lawyer, make sure you talk to one who really, knows what they are talking about:) I am sure that seems obvious...but it seems like lots of people here get wrong advice from their lawyers.

Concurrent I-130 and AOS

Nov 30 2007 - I enter US as a tourist to spend the ski season with my sweetie and figure out what we both want outta life - we plan on ending up in Canada, but...

Jan 30 2008 - We get married in Vegas! We decide to stay in the US.

Feb 08 2008 - File I-130, I-485, AP and EAD

Feb 11 2008 - Package arrives in Chicago

Feb 19 2008 - Receive NOA 1 for everything except I-485. NOA date Feb 15th

Feb 19 2008 - Touch I-130, AP, EAD

Feb 21 2008 - Receive I-485 NOA 1. NOA Date Feb 15th

Feb 22 2008 - Receive Biometrics notice, dated Feb 20th, for appointment March 11th

Feb 27 2008 - Walk in to Denver field office and have Biometrics taken early as the 11th March I'll be away

Apr 16 2008 - EAD card production ordered

Apr 16 2008 - AP approval sent

Apr 21 2008 - AP received in mail

Apr 21 2008 - EAD card production email received again - strange

Apr 24 2008 - EAD card approval notice sent email

Apr 26 2008 - EAD card received

May 03 2008 - Interview notice received -June 27th

May 22 2008 - Touch on I-485

June 09 2008 - I-130 finally shows up online and shows a touch that day, so does I-485

Jun 27 2008 - Interview - approved, stamped, received card production email. Ya-hoo!!!!

July 10 2008 - Card received

Total time from filing - approval: 4.5 months

MOVED TO SAN DIEGO!!

Lifting of Conditions

June 11 2010 - Package mailed

June 16 2010 - NOA date

July 2 2010 - Bio letter received - July 27th date

July 9 2010 - Early biometrics walk in San Marcos CA

Sept 16 2010 - Card production ordered

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline
Thank you all for your advice. I cancelled all my plans....will go for Easter :) everything should be over by then.

Sounds like a good plan. :thumbs: good luck to ya.

"...My hair's mostly wind,

My eyes filled with grit

My skin's white then brown

My lips chapped and split

I've lain on the prairie and heard grasses sigh

I've stared at the vast open bowl of the sky

I've seen all the castles and faces in clouds

My home is the prairie and for that I am proud…

If You're not from the Prairie, you can't know my soul

You don't know our blizzards; you've not fought our cold

You can't know my mind, nor ever my heart

Unless deep within you there's somehow a part…

A part of these things that I've said that I know,

The wind, sky and earth, the storms and the snow.

Best say that you have - and then we'll be one,

For we will have shared that same blazing sun." - David Bouchard

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.