Mark UK

Removal of Conditions - 2009?

7 posts in this topic

Dear all,

Happy Thanksgiving to all VJers in America (and those wanting to be). I have a question if you wouldn't mind indulging me.

I am now a Green Card holder which is conditional based on my marriage. I applied for and received my K-1 visa in the fall of last year, was married in November and received my Green Card in May this year.

My Green Card expires in May 2009. Is it still that I have to apply for removal of conditions within 90 days of the expiration (so that would be February 2009?)

I understand that within 90 days of the expiration (February 2009), I should apply for a removal of conditions on the Green Card. How is this determined? Is the postdate of my package? Is there a link to the process (such as applying for I-xxx and paying $xxxx?). Are there any rough timelines? And what would happen if after my Green Card has expired, my conditions have not been removed?

Any help or advice you guys could give us is extremely appreciated. And, of course, I hope everyone enjoys their turkey (or vegan substitute, as appropriate)

TIA,

Mark

I understand that within 90 days of the expiration (February 2009), I should apply for a removal of conditions on the Green Card. How is this determined? Is the postdate of my package?

Yup- the postmark on the envelope is considered your application date.

Is there a link to the process (such as applying for I-xxx and paying $xxxx?).

Check out the VJ Guide: http://www.visajourney.com/forums/index.ph...p;page=751guide.

Are there any rough timelines?

If you're going through VSC, we have a thread where we keep track of timelines: http://www.visajourney.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=110056. There is a similar thread for CSC filers.

VSC is taking roughly 10 months to a year. CSC is taking about 4-6 months.

And what would happen if after my Green Card has expired, my conditions have not been removed?

This is normal, your NOA receipt notice will contain a statement that your permanent resident status is extended for one year. If for some reason your application is still pending after a year, you can make an Infopass appointment at your local USCIS office and they will stamp your passport with an extension.

Good luck with the process!

JOURNEY HIGHLIGHTS

04/23/05: Sent fiance petition (I-129F) to VSC

10/26/05: K-1 visa in hand

02/17/06: Flight to U.S. - POE Anchorage

03/01/06: We got married!!

03/04/06: Applied for Adjustment of Status

07/31/06: Received 2-Year Green Card in the mail

04/08/08: Sent application for Removal of Conditions to VSC

03/20/09: Received 10-year Green Card in the mail

04/11/09: Mailed N-400 application to Lewisville, TX Lockbox

08/18/09: Citizenship interview in Garden City, NY

08/27/09: Sworn in as a U.S. Citizen in Brooklyn Court House

08/29/09: Applied for U.S. Passport (routine service)

09/25/09: Received U.S. Passport in the mail

* Our Journey is Complete ! *

Thanks for the help! I went through the Vermont Service Center for my K1 and whatnot, so I expect I'll go through the VSC for my removal of conditions too.

I presume that I will need to pay for the biometrics even though I already had them done when I first applied for my adjustment of status?

Have a very happy Turkey Day!

Yup, you'll have another biometrics appointment during removal of conditions, and will have to pay another biometrics fee - the total cost including biometrics is currently $545.

Happy Thanksgiving to you too!

JOURNEY HIGHLIGHTS

04/23/05: Sent fiance petition (I-129F) to VSC

10/26/05: K-1 visa in hand

02/17/06: Flight to U.S. - POE Anchorage

03/01/06: We got married!!

03/04/06: Applied for Adjustment of Status

07/31/06: Received 2-Year Green Card in the mail

04/08/08: Sent application for Removal of Conditions to VSC

03/20/09: Received 10-year Green Card in the mail

04/11/09: Mailed N-400 application to Lewisville, TX Lockbox

08/18/09: Citizenship interview in Garden City, NY

08/27/09: Sworn in as a U.S. Citizen in Brooklyn Court House

08/29/09: Applied for U.S. Passport (routine service)

09/25/09: Received U.S. Passport in the mail

* Our Journey is Complete ! *

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Yes, you will go through Vermont, and yes, you will have to redo biometrics. Happy Thanksgiving.

“...Isn't it splendid to think of all the things there are to find out about? It just makes me feel glad to be alive--it's such an interesting world. It wouldn't be half so interesting if we knew all about everything, would it? There'd be no scope for imagination then, would there?”

. Lucy Maude Montgomery, Anne of Green Gables

5892822976_477b1a77f7_z.jpg

Another Member of the VJ Fluffy Kitty Posse!

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline

Hi there, it's been quite a while since I've been on here. We live in the country so we can not get High Speed!!!! We were on Dial-Up then tried Verizon Wireless (cannot get in my area :crying: ..we were without Internet a spell....So we're back to Dial Up

Anyway, my Removal of conditions is January and I haven't even started anything. My question is.,...As I am working , will I have any problems not having my removal done in time. I am sending it in this week. Can I still work? Probably sounds like a silly question, however, the process for all this is so long and tedious, I'm never sure of anything.

Hope everybody is well. I'm still homesick and I have been here 2 1/2 years but I still married the greatest guy in the world. Love going back home whenever I can,

Love-Live-Laugh.....................MarieAnastasia

“For it was not into my ear you whispered, but into my heart. It was not my lips you kissed, but my soul.” JMAC

June 25, 2004 - Bruce & I met through mutual friends in my hometown in Newfoundland the night before he was going back to Maine

July 1 - First email between us

July 3 - I called him to wish him a Happy Independance Day

Daily phone calls and emails from there on in

October 20 - Bruce drove back to Newfoundland. He planned on staying a week but it ended up being 3 weeks. We knew for a fact we were in love!

March 19/05 - Bruce back in Newfoundland

April 8 - Bruce picked me up in North Sydney, NS and we drove to Maine. I stayed for a week due to work

July 26 - Bruce back to Newfoundland for another 3 weeks. I can't bear to see him leave.

August 10 - He asked me to marry him.........I had already asked him anyway just to make sure*_*

September 30 - I flew to Boston to meet Bruce there and then we drove back to Maine for 2 weeks

November 18 - We filed I-129F

December 1 - NOA Receipt #

December 28 - Received Packet 3

January 6/06 - Received my Police Certificate of Conduct

January 11 - Sent DS-230 Part 1 back to Montreal Consulate

February 3 - Sent off my check list to Montreal Consulate

March 24 - Medical

April 5 - Interview Date.....APPROVED......Yahoo

April 17 - Moving to Maine

May 16 - Bruce & I became Mr. & Mrs. in Las Vegas (Oh HAPPY DAY)

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline
Hi there, it's been quite a while since I've been on here. We live in the country so we can not get High Speed!!!! We were on Dial-Up then tried Verizon Wireless (cannot get in my area :crying: ..we were without Internet a spell....So we're back to Dial Up

Anyway, my Removal of conditions is January and I haven't even started anything. My question is.,...As I am working , will I have any problems not having my removal done in time. I am sending it in this week. Can I still work? Probably sounds like a silly question, however, the process for all this is so long and tedious, I'm never sure of anything.

Hope everybody is well. I'm still homesick and I have been here 2 1/2 years but I still married the greatest guy in the world. Love going back home whenever I can,

Love-Live-Laugh.....................MarieAnastasia

As long as you get your application package in before your green card expiry date you should be fine. It is a good idea to allow extra time rather than filing at the last minute as sometimes your package might be rejected (ie. you forgot to sign it, used an out of date form, sent the wrong amount, etc.) and have to resubmit it and that would take more time. Yes, once you send your package in you can still work. You will receive a receipt NOA that will extend the validity of your green card for work and travel purposes for one year. If you don't receive the receipt in a reasonable time (about 30 days) or before your green card expires you can go to your local USCIS office and they will put an I-551 stamp in your passport that proves you are still a legal resident. Good luck.

“...Isn't it splendid to think of all the things there are to find out about? It just makes me feel glad to be alive--it's such an interesting world. It wouldn't be half so interesting if we knew all about everything, would it? There'd be no scope for imagination then, would there?”

. Lucy Maude Montgomery, Anne of Green Gables

5892822976_477b1a77f7_z.jpg

Another Member of the VJ Fluffy Kitty Posse!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.