candyace

Dual Citizenship?

65 posts in this topic

Filed: Other Timeline

You can have 3 or 4 or 5 or 6 or or or if you want. My Aunt has 3. UK, Canada and US. There used to be a lady here at VJ who had 6, and was working on US for the 7th.

Again, if you want to keep up with all those passports, its up to you. And if the countries you're getting citizenship in allow multiples, what's to stop you? Some countries however do not allow dual or multi-citizenships.

divorced - April 2010 moved back to Ontario May 2010 and surrendered green card

PLEASE DO NOT PRIVATE MESSAGE ME OR EMAIL ME. I HAVE NO IDEA ABOUT CURRENT US IMMIGRATION PROCEDURES!!!!!

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline
Iwas thinking about getting my US citizenship are there any real advantages of having dual?

You can apply for Federal Government jobs.

Never having to go through the immigration process again if you decide to leave the US for a few years. That's my reason!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

I have dual (Canadian/US) citizenship and always will.

The advantages for me was to be able to live and work in either country for the rest of my life.

We would like to move back to Canada at some point, but the thought of "reverse" immigration for my US citizen husband makes me want to puke!!!!! We'll see.... I just miss my kids way too much to stay away from Canada forever. I don't even have grandchildren yet.... that's going to be even harder than it is right now.

"THE SHORT STORY"

KURT & RAYMA (K-1 Visa)

Oct. 9/03... I-129F sent to NSC

June 10/04... K-1 Interview - APPROVED!!!!

July 31/04... Entered U.S.

Aug. 28/04... WEDDING DAY!!!!

Aug. 30/04... I-485, I-765 & I-131 sent to Seattle

Dec. 10/04... AOS Interview - APPROVED!!!!! (Passport stamped)

Sept. 9/06... I-751 sent to NSC

May 15/07... 10-Yr. PR Card arrives in the mail

Sept. 13/07... N-400 sent to NSC

Aug. 21/08... Interview - PASSED!!!!

Sept. 2/08... Oath Ceremony

Sept. 5/08... Sent in Voter Registration Card

Sept. 9/08... SSA office to change status to "U.S. citizen"

Oct. 8/08... Applied in person for U.S. Passport

Oct. 22/08... U.S. Passport received

DONE!!! DONE!!! DONE!!! DONE!!!

KAELY (K-2 Visa)

Apr. 6/05... DS-230, Part I faxed to Vancouver Consulate

May 26/05... K-2 Interview - APPROVED!!!!

Sept. 5/05... Entered U.S.

Sept. 7/05... I-485 & I-131 sent to CLB

Feb. 22/06... AOS Interview - APPROVED!!!!! (Passport NOT stamped)

Dec. 4/07... I-751 sent to NSC

May 23/08... 10-Yr. PR Card arrives in the mail

Mar. 22/11.... N-400 sent to AZ

June 27/11..... Interview - PASSED!!!

July 12/11..... Oath Ceremony

We're NOT lawyers.... just your average folks who had to find their own way!!!!! Anything we post here is simply our own opinions/suggestions/experiences and should not be taken as LAW!!!!

Timeline
What, you have Canadian and Ontarion? :dance::devil:

Only an Ontarion would say that. BTW Toronto is not the center of the universe :P

History

12/2000 Met Online

02/14/2001 Started dating

04/20/2001 Met in person

03/2002 Moved in together in the US

2002 - 2007 working in US on TN-1 Visa

05/2005 Registered as Common-law

06/2005 Proposed and Engaged

08/30/2007 - Married

I-130 (156 Days)

02/20/2008 I-130 Filed

03/10/2008 NOA1 - CSC confirmation sent

03/12/2008 date on online tracking - Touched

08/11/2008 - NOA2 - I-130 APPROVED!!! USCIS page updated. (156 Days)

NVC

08/14/2008 - NVC received my application and has assigned me a case number. Waiting for Beneficiary letter.

08/15/2008 - e-mailed the NVC for choice of Agent DS-3032, not sure if I was suppose to do this before actually getting paperwork sent to me.

08/25/2008 - AOS Fee Bill and DS-3032 Generated

08/30/2008 - Letter Recieved

09/02/2008 - AOS Fee Bill Paid and DS-3032 Choice of Agent e-mail sent

09/03/2008 - AOS Fee Bill Recorded as Paid

09/10/2008 - NVC sends DS-3203 Receipt Confirmation

09/10/2008 - IV Fee Bill Available and Paid

09/11/2008 - IV Fee Bill Processed - PAID, Coversheet Generated

09/11/2008 - Following directions on James' Shortcuts for creating DS-230 Package

09/18/2008 - Sent in I-864 and DS-230 (FedEx Overnight)

09/29/2008 - NVC Case Completed!

09/??/???? - Packet never received (sent in with James' Shortcuts as soon as bill was paid)

12/03/2008 - Interview - APPROVED!

12/04/2008 - Visa Received

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline

I'm thinking of getting Canadian citizenship simply so I'll never have to deal with the government again in that capacity. Of course, when that time comes around, I'll have to be extra careful that the government spells my name right. Apparently, they can't be bothered to correct it.

Timeline
What, you have Canadian and Ontarion? :dance::devil:

Only an Ontarion would say that. BTW Toronto is not the center of the universe :P

Negative, I'm from Sask. lol

Canadians Visiting the USA while undergoing the visa process, my free advice:

1) Always tell the TRUTH. never lie to the POE officer

2) Be confident in ur replies

3) keep ur response short and to the point, don't tell ur life story!!

4) look the POE officer in the eye when speaking to them. They are looking for people lieing and have been trained to find them!

5) Pack light! No job resumes with you

6) Bring ties to Canada (letter from employer when ur expected back at work, lease, etc etc)

7) Always be polite, being rude isn't going to get ya anywhere, and could make things worse!!

8) Have a plan in case u do get denied (be polite) It wont harm ur visa application if ur denied,that is if ur polite and didn't lie! Refer to #1

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Ontario should have it's own passport as we are obviously the country's most important part :lol: DUH!

No, I have Canadian and British citizenship.

The advantages of getting US citizenship would be to vote, and to also never have to worry about losing status if I left here with my husband to go and live in Canada. I think many of us hold the dream that some day we will go back to live....but if it doesn't work out, I would like to be able to go back to the US freely without any consequences.

I would not, however, use a US passport to travel. Just my feelings.

"...My hair's mostly wind,

My eyes filled with grit

My skin's white then brown

My lips chapped and split

I've lain on the prairie and heard grasses sigh

I've stared at the vast open bowl of the sky

I've seen all the castles and faces in clouds

My home is the prairie and for that I am proud…

If You're not from the Prairie, you can't know my soul

You don't know our blizzards; you've not fought our cold

You can't know my mind, nor ever my heart

Unless deep within you there's somehow a part…

A part of these things that I've said that I know,

The wind, sky and earth, the storms and the snow.

Best say that you have - and then we'll be one,

For we will have shared that same blazing sun." - David Bouchard

Timeline

Ontario reminds me a lot of New York -- a remarkable degree of self-importance with an ego so large that it believes it's the center of the universe. I wonder if it's any coincidence that New York and Ontario are so near each other. ;)

Hi Everyone,

Lol....if Ontario and New York are so close to each other, then why is there something called a "border" and an "immigration process" that one has to go through to move from one place to the other that's not too far apart? Gee...all the extra hassle, money, time, etc. that I had to go through just to move 300km/150miles!...Oh, the things one does for love.....

Btw...Small Rural Town New York State (or small town anywhere) is totally different than Big City Ontario (or big city anywhere). And given the choice, I'd pick any small town anyday (no wait, I think I picked that to live in already...lol...), where the people are so much friendlier and nicer, and all people are thought of as equals, in "the middle of nowhere"....

Ant (Small town NYSer...)

Ontario reminds me a lot of New York -- a remarkable degree of self-importance with an ego so large that it believes it's the center of the universe. I wonder if it's any coincidence that New York and Ontario are so near each other. ;)
Edited by AntandD

**Ant's 1432.gif1502.gif "Once Upon An American Immigration Journey" Condensed Timeline...**

2000 (72+ Months) "Loved": Long-Distance Dating Relationship. D Visited Ant in Canada.

2006 (<1 Month) "Visited": Ant Visited D in America. B-2 Visa Port of Entry Interrogation.

2006 (<1 Month) "Married": Wedding Elopement. Husband & Wife, D and Ant !! Together Forever!

2006 ( 3 Months I-485 Wait) "Adjusted": 2-Years Green Card.

2007 ( 2 Months) "Numbered": SSN Card.

2007 (<1 Months) "Licensed": NYS 4-Years Driver's License.

2009 (10 Months I-751 Wait) "Removed": 10-Years 5-Months Green Card.

2009 ( 9 Months Baby Wait) "Expected": Baby. It's a Boy, Baby A !!! We Are Family, Ant+D+BabyA !

2009 ( 4 Months) "Moved": New House Constructed and Moved Into.

2009 ( 2 Months N-400 Wait) "Naturalized": US Citizenship, Certificate of Naturalization. Goodbye USCIS!!!!

***Ant is a Naturalized American Citizen!!***: November 23, 2009 (Private Oath Ceremony: USCIS Office, Buffalo, NY, USA)

2009 (<1 Month) "Secured": US Citizen SSN Card.

2009 (<1 Month) "Enhanced": US Citizen NYS 8-Years Enhanced Driver's License. (in lieu of a US Passport)

2010 ( 1 Month) "Voted": US Citizen NYS Voter's Registration Card.

***~~~"The End...And the Americans, Ant+D+BabyA, lived 'Happily Ever After'!"...~~~***

I'm thinking of getting Canadian citizenship simply so I'll never have to deal with the government again in that capacity. Of course, when that time comes around, I'll have to be extra careful that the government spells my name right. Apparently, they can't be bothered to correct it.

One thing about Canadian immigration however is that if you gained your LPR status thru marriage, and if you move to another country, but remain living with and married to your Canadian spouse, you do not lose your Canadian LPR. So you could move back to the US for a couple years if you wanted, and easily return to Canada with no hassle.

The US does not reciprocate this policy however. :P

divorced - April 2010 moved back to Ontario May 2010 and surrendered green card

PLEASE DO NOT PRIVATE MESSAGE ME OR EMAIL ME. I HAVE NO IDEA ABOUT CURRENT US IMMIGRATION PROCEDURES!!!!!

Timeline
Hi Everyone,

Lol....if Ontario and New York are so close to each other, then why is there something called a "border" and an "immigration process" that one has to go through to move from one place to the other that's not too far apart? Gee...all the extra hassle, money, time, etc. that I had to go through just to move 300km/150miles!...Oh, the things one does for love.....

That's not really the point. Yeah, there's a border and it's enforced, but all I was getting at was Ontario and New York seem similar in attitudes and perception. In some ways, Texas and Alberta seem similar too. They don't share a border. It's all about how the majority tends to think. ;)

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline
That's not really the point. Yeah, there's a border and it's enforced, but all I was getting at was Ontario and New York seem similar in attitudes and perception. In some ways, Texas and Alberta seem similar too. They don't share a border. It's all about how the majority tends to think. ;)

To be honest, I really don't think most Ontarians think this way...outside of maybe Ottawa or Toronto. My parents, who live in Kitchener-Waterloo, are pretty blue collar. K-W has half a million people, but with all the plants, people have stayed pretty humble. Not that I'd ever go live there again, but I do miss that about it.

I think many provinces in Canada think they are/should be the most important. Quebec is an obvious one, in my opinion. Albertans also have also come to think since they are bringing in so much cash to the country, the spotlight should be on them instead of Ontario. At the end of the day, Ontario has the most people and that is why it seems so much is always going on there. But by no means is it the most important. The wonderful part about Canada, in my opinion, is that each province has a little something different to offer its people, and the world.

"...My hair's mostly wind,

My eyes filled with grit

My skin's white then brown

My lips chapped and split

I've lain on the prairie and heard grasses sigh

I've stared at the vast open bowl of the sky

I've seen all the castles and faces in clouds

My home is the prairie and for that I am proud…

If You're not from the Prairie, you can't know my soul

You don't know our blizzards; you've not fought our cold

You can't know my mind, nor ever my heart

Unless deep within you there's somehow a part…

A part of these things that I've said that I know,

The wind, sky and earth, the storms and the snow.

Best say that you have - and then we'll be one,

For we will have shared that same blazing sun." - David Bouchard

Timeline

So you have lived in Texas and Alberta long enough to observe how the majority think in those two places and draw parallels? <_<

If so, how do the majority tend to think in those two places, in your opinion?

Edited by trailmix

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.