SGTJCwife

Tips for K3 interview in Montreal

6 posts in this topic

Hi there! Im new to the forum and I joined because I have my K3 visa interview in one week and I am INCREDIBLY NERVOUS. MY husband and I have been working through this immigration process for a long time, he is currently deployed in Iraq and I am alone with our 7 month old daughter running around trying to get her citizenship and my immigration in order! its been crazy, it seems like EVERYTIME we get one step ahead, there is always something that pushes us back...and now that the interview is coming up and I am flying from Vancouver to Montreal with our 7 month old for this next week...im terrified im going to miss something. So I thought I would come on here, and see if anyone had any great tips for me ? and I had a few questions too...

I have already submitted all of my original documents to NVC(along with two pictures)...so I do not need to bring anything with me other than the envelope, appt letter, a portfolio of supporting evidence of my valid marriage (such as photos, letters, phone bills, emails etc) my wallet/ID, unopened medical exam, and interview fee of $130 correct? I am asking this because I amm confused, they ask for me to bring along two more photos, and there is a section in the interview packet that explains which AOS to bring....(we have already submitted the I-864 to NVC) do I need to bring another AOS with me?

any tips, help with my questions is GREATLY appreciated!!

thankyou all and good luck to you :)

Hi there! Im new to the forum and I joined because I have my K3 visa interview in one week and I am INCREDIBLY NERVOUS. MY husband and I have been working through this immigration process for a long time, he is currently deployed in Iraq and I am alone with our 7 month old daughter running around trying to get her citizenship and my immigration in order! its been crazy, it seems like EVERYTIME we get one step ahead, there is always something that pushes us back...and now that the interview is coming up and I am flying from Vancouver to Montreal with our 7 month old for this next week...im terrified im going to miss something. So I thought I would come on here, and see if anyone had any great tips for me ? and I had a few questions too...

I have already submitted all of my original documents to NVC(along with two pictures)...so I do not need to bring anything with me other than the envelope, appt letter, a portfolio of supporting evidence of my valid marriage (such as photos, letters, phone bills, emails etc) my wallet/ID, unopened medical exam, and interview fee of $130 correct? I am asking this because I amm confused, they ask for me to bring along two more photos, and there is a section in the interview packet that explains which AOS to bring....(we have already submitted the I-864 to NVC) do I need to bring another AOS with me?

any tips, help with my questions is GREATLY appreciated!!

thankyou all and good luck to you :)

oh and just to correct its a CR1 interview...not a K3

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Show up,lol The interview is normally the easiest portion of the whole journey for us canucks!! Since you have already sent in ur originals you should be good to go. Ensure u bring photocopies of the originals (u did make photocopies??,lol) Not a big deal if you did not, but they are nice to have! Ensure that your police background check is less than a year old. Not sure on the fee, I was a cr-1, but didnt pay for anything at the consulate. Did you DCF? (direct consular file)

Some evidence is fine, pics,letters, 99.9% of the time they don't ask for it, but it is good to have. They don't allow big bags into the consulate!! So I bought a legal size 13 pouch plastic accordian binder and organized stuff into it. As wel no electronics/cell phone! I'm sure others that have gone through the cr-1 process will chirp in,keep in mind the weekends tend to be a little slow in the Cdn forum!! Best of luck, and a safe return for ur husband.

Canadians Visiting the USA while undergoing the visa process, my free advice:

1) Always tell the TRUTH. never lie to the POE officer

2) Be confident in ur replies

3) keep ur response short and to the point, don't tell ur life story!!

4) look the POE officer in the eye when speaking to them. They are looking for people lieing and have been trained to find them!

5) Pack light! No job resumes with you

6) Bring ties to Canada (letter from employer when ur expected back at work, lease, etc etc)

7) Always be polite, being rude isn't going to get ya anywhere, and could make things worse!!

8) Have a plan in case u do get denied (be polite) It wont harm ur visa application if ur denied,that is if ur polite and didn't lie! Refer to #1

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Hi SGTJCwife. Welcome to VJ. :star:

Here is the list of materials I brought with me to my interview in August. I was feeling the same way, even though I knew it was supposed to be a breeze. And it was! I sent all of my originals in like you and brought copies of everything just in case.

Something commonly missed is the xpresspost mailer or getting the wrong size. Double check that its the right one. Otherwise you have to leave the consulate to get the right one and come back and wait longer. Just annoying really, not detrimental to your application.

The interview itself was short. The gentleman basically started with, "this won't take very long, so don't bother sitting" (in a friendly sounding way). I didn't have to show any supporting documentation or anything, asked a few simple questions (how did you meet, where will you be living, what does your husband do for work), and said he say no reason to not approve the application. That was it, skipped on out of there with a big ol' smile on my face.

I brought 2 more passport photos to the interview just because I am ####### but I never needed those because I had sent 2 in with my DS-230. I just took them as a safety blanket because the letter asked for more.

As for the $130, are you perhaps reading for K-3/K-1 visas? CR-1 visas don't normally pay anything at the interview. Unless you're DCF like flames said, but I know 0 about that. If you're a regular CR-1 you shouldn't have any fees at the interview.

Bring the AOS copies to the interview just in case. However, the consulate should have the original copy your husband filled out.

Wishing you a very stress free trip to Montreal and a safe return for your husband.

Cat

Tell me if I'm missing something, this is what I have:

1) medical results and xray

2) gigantic xpressport mailer

3) 2 passport photos

4) valid passport

5) about 10 or so photos from our life together

6) interview letter

7) copy of police certificate

8) copy of marriage certificate

9) copy of long form birth certificate

10) 3 years of tax returns (they sure don't look like Canadian tax returns)

11) NOA2 from USCIS

12) a sampling of plane ticket stubs

I don't have a copy of the DS-230. I never printed two versions - I am sure that is not a big deal.

Anything else - other than a paper bag or inhaler?

GREAT! thank you so much for clearing this all up for me :)

I filed through NVC so Im guessing that you must be right about there not being a fee (i will bring it just in case of course!)

I am bringing copies of everything and making sure I have everything I can provide....even if I dont need it, Id rather be safe than sorry!)

did anyone take there children with them? I have no one to watch our 7 month old, so she will be coming with me. They said it was ok....the only thing I am worried about is the stroller and her food...I wonder if they will let me bring her baby food and diapers and such (does anyone know what they allow as far as babies go?)

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.