xtinab

Extension of Stay??

16 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: Canada
Timeline

So yesterday I was doing some more research on how I can avoid overstaying and such, and came across this link right here:

http://help.cbp.gov/cgi-bin/customs.cfg/ph...amp;p_topview=1

And halfway down it clearly says:

"If you are from Canada, the length of stay for tourism is 6 months. Canadians may file for an extension of stay with the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services."

So I went onto the USCIS and found another page where it says the same thing, and the "apply here" link takes you to the immigration forms. The most amount of info I got on it says to fill out an I-539, so when I looked at that application, it was only the instructions on how to apply for it. It also says that you have to fill it out before your I-94 expires. I didn't get an I-94 as the site even says, most Canadians don't receive one.

So here's what I'm curious about. Will it help my frequency of visits to ask for an I-94 to fill out, then apply for an extension of stay? Does anybody know about the conditions for applying for overstays? Or any experience at all about it? I really don't want to overstay, but really, when I'm back in TO, I just want to be back here. Personally, I'm ready to take the risk and start filing, but I've always been the risk taker, and BB the smart, and thoughtful one. He wants to be absolutely sure its right for us, as we haven't been romantically involved for even a year yet. I totally understand this, but at the same time, I hate being in limbo in regards to overstaying. I don't enjoy having no independence and not being able to help out more with the financials.

I've looked around a bit but nothing really that tells me what I want to know about it. Any info would rock :)

chris4.jpg

"May our love last another day.....and then some"

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline

Well, sure you can file for an extension. But just remember that this is government we're talking about here. So you'll need to do this ahead of time to accommodate the lack of urgency and disinterest the government may have in this issue. It'll get done, but don't expect it to be speedy process.

Timeline

Well at this point I cant fill anything out because I don't have an I-94. According to what I have read, I need to have one of those filled out first. I'm debating whether I should ask for one or not, if it even is something you ask for, or if it's something they have to decide you get. (They being border patrol)

chris4.jpg

Filed: Timeline
Well at this point I cant fill anything out because I don't have an I-94. According to what I have read, I need to have one of those filled out first. I'm debating whether I should ask for one or not, if it even is something you ask for, or if it's something they have to decide you get. (They being border patrol)

Did you get your passport stamped?

If you don't ask for the extension you could be in trouble later in your process :(

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

To be honest with you, not many of us here probably have experiences with filing for extensions. Most Canadians, it seems, don't have the need for it.

"...My hair's mostly wind,

My eyes filled with grit

My skin's white then brown

My lips chapped and split

I've lain on the prairie and heard grasses sigh

I've stared at the vast open bowl of the sky

I've seen all the castles and faces in clouds

My home is the prairie and for that I am proud…

If You're not from the Prairie, you can't know my soul

You don't know our blizzards; you've not fought our cold

You can't know my mind, nor ever my heart

Unless deep within you there's somehow a part…

A part of these things that I've said that I know,

The wind, sky and earth, the storms and the snow.

Best say that you have - and then we'll be one,

For we will have shared that same blazing sun." - David Bouchard

Timeline

I just found the form and I showed it to BB, he said he doesn't think that's for me as I really don't have a reason except that I don't want to leave him, heh...besides its the same amount as if we were to file a K1/K3 so who knows....it was just something that came up and I wanted to know more info about as an option.

chris4.jpg

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

You also need to check on if you have Provincial Health Care coverage. If you are out of Canada for over 6 months you are no longer covered, you need to come back.

ROC

Sept 9/11 - Sent I-751 Package in Mail

Sept 12/11 - Package received at CSC

Sept 15/11 - Cheque cashed

Sept 16/11 - Receive NOA for I-751

Sept 19/11 - Receive Biometrics Appointment Letter dated 9/15/2011

Oct 7/11 - Biometrics Appointment

Dec 2/11 - Greencard production ordered

Dec 3/11 - received email from USCIS advising card production

AOS

Aug 6/09 - Sent AOS, EAD, AP Package in mail

Aug 8/09 - Packaged received in Chicago

Aug 13/09 - Cheque cashed

Aug 17/09 - Receive NOA for I-485, I-765 and I-131

Aug 21/09 - Receive Notice for Biometrics Appt

Aug 24/09 - RFE Sent in Mail

Aug 29/09 - RFE recieved

Sept 3/09 - Mail back RFE package

Sept 5/09 - RFE package received

Sept 10/09 - I-485 case resumed

Sept 10/09 - Address changed on I-485, I-765 and I-131

Sept 15/09 - Biometrics Appt

Sept 28/09 - AP Approved, EAD Card Production Ordered Email #1

Oct 1/09 - Received AP Hardcopy in Mail, EAD Card Production Ordered Email #2

Oct 5/09 - Received EAD Card

Oct 29/09 - Received Interview Letter

Dec 2/09 - Interview --APPROVED!!!!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

I'd like to offer my unsoliticited advice if I may... we went through a similar situation where we just weren't ready to file for a K1(well i was, but he wasn't). Long distance relatioinships can work, but you need to keep yourself busy in Toronto while you are dating and waiting for the right time. That has been my saving grace. Once it does come time to file, that's still going to be a long wait, and you need to spend an equal amount of time in Toronto while it's happening. Enjoy your time in Toronto as much as you do when you are in Columbus and ensure that you are independent and financially sound in Toronto before making the big move. Not only will time go by faster, you'll be so prepared and ready. Your time will come and it will be amazing.

I actually wanted to file last November, but we ended up waiting until June. I seriously would've gone mad if I didn't have my career, family and friends here to keep my busy. I don't plan my life around visits, but just integrate visits into my life, that doesn't mean that he isn't everything to me, he is... and we talk every single day etc. But I've just really had to find a balance and not go crazy.

I also don't think they will give you an I-94, even if you asked for it. I've had my passport stamped a few times though and that has a date and expiry on it. You could always ask for a stamp.

Good Luck :star:

Removing Conditions

Sent package to VSC - 8/12/11

NOA1 - 8/16/11

Biometrics - 9/14/11

Timeline

The odds of you getting approved for an extension because you just want to stay are about slim to none. There needs to be extenuating circumstances on the need to stay longer than is permitted.

Knowledge itself is power - Sir Francis Bacon

I have gone fishing... you can find me by going here http://**removed due to TOS**

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline
The odds of you getting approved for an extension because you just want to stay are about slim to none. There needs to be extenuating circumstances on the need to stay longer than is permitted.

Listen to zyggy, he is the man on this topic.

I third this motion.

I don't know what you do for a living but it sounds to me like you don't work or go to school. If this is the case it will be very difficult for you to remain in the US legally without filing for a K-1 visa at least. This is a relatively long process if you leave the US and then file for it, by long I mean 6-8months which feels like forever when you're in a relationship and you really want to be with the one you love.

If the POE knows that you intend on entering the US with any intent to immigrate to the US they will deny you entry unless you have already filed for a K-1 or similar visa.

If you are a working professional, you have more options for staying in the US and being productive. You can find a job that fits the criteria for a TN Visa and you can get a 3 year temporary work visa to work. That should be plenty of time for you and your SO to figure things out and if he decides he wants to propose and get married to you then you can file for an adjustment of status while you're in the US working with a TN Visa.

And regarding the I-94, I would say, don't ask don't tell. Without an I-94 they can't really track how long you've been in the US unless they can only tell how many times you've entered the country. However, if you get an I-94 placed into your passport you're not necessarily flagged but you're at least a blip on their radar. Also, if you enter the US and stay more than 6 months and you are caught doing so you will be black listed and can be barred from entry for 3 or more years. I can't remember what the numbers are but I over stayed my TN Visa for 3 months which in itself wasn't illegal, but not something the POE likes to hear when you're trying to reenter the country. The POE officer told me had I stayed over 6 months past my visa expiry I would have automatically been barred for 3 years. If you are caught for more serious offenses you can be barred for 11years. The only way to remove a bar from yourself is to get a congressman or someone significantly high up in the US political system to pardon you.

So now you know the rewards and risks it's really up to you to decide what to do.

If I were you, I would only tell the POE Officer that you are visiting if questioned. If they ask who, you can be truthful and tell them your SO. They may ask you how long your stay is, make sure to give them an end date. At this point they may give you a I-94 based on the answer you give them. Therefore, if you say that you are going to stay for 3 months then they will give you 3 months on the I-94. If they are being particularly nice they may just give you a I-94 for 6 months. Whatever you do, don't overstay 6 months with an I-94 or you risk being barred.

Good luck.

History

12/2000 Met Online

02/14/2001 Started dating

04/20/2001 Met in person

03/2002 Moved in together in the US

2002 - 2007 working in US on TN-1 Visa

05/2005 Registered as Common-law

06/2005 Proposed and Engaged

08/30/2007 - Married

I-130 (156 Days)

02/20/2008 I-130 Filed

03/10/2008 NOA1 - CSC confirmation sent

03/12/2008 date on online tracking - Touched

08/11/2008 - NOA2 - I-130 APPROVED!!! USCIS page updated. (156 Days)

NVC

08/14/2008 - NVC received my application and has assigned me a case number. Waiting for Beneficiary letter.

08/15/2008 - e-mailed the NVC for choice of Agent DS-3032, not sure if I was suppose to do this before actually getting paperwork sent to me.

08/25/2008 - AOS Fee Bill and DS-3032 Generated

08/30/2008 - Letter Recieved

09/02/2008 - AOS Fee Bill Paid and DS-3032 Choice of Agent e-mail sent

09/03/2008 - AOS Fee Bill Recorded as Paid

09/10/2008 - NVC sends DS-3203 Receipt Confirmation

09/10/2008 - IV Fee Bill Available and Paid

09/11/2008 - IV Fee Bill Processed - PAID, Coversheet Generated

09/11/2008 - Following directions on James' Shortcuts for creating DS-230 Package

09/18/2008 - Sent in I-864 and DS-230 (FedEx Overnight)

09/29/2008 - NVC Case Completed!

09/??/???? - Packet never received (sent in with James' Shortcuts as soon as bill was paid)

12/03/2008 - Interview - APPROVED!

12/04/2008 - Visa Received

Timeline

Thanks everybody for their input. To clarify a few things, I do work in Toronto. I work in hospitality and have shifted to catering. Right now, the job is completely flexible. They send out an email with available shifts and you sign up for the ones you can or want to work. First come first serve basis. So when Im there, I can work as much as I want, and they dont care if you arent there. And during peak seasons the financial opportunity is awesome. I have my degree in f&B management, but under the TN, I dont qualify. In the hospitality field, they only offer Hotel Managers TN Visas. I already checked it out :P

Up until this point we've always done exactly what you suggested, say Im visiting my SO and staying for so long, and this is how I'm getting back and its been smooth sailing. With the exception of the last time....I could be paranoid but it seems like he was asking more questions. And he seemed to be entering my info. Im just worried that they flagged me! Ive heard horror stories about that and the last thing I want is to be banned. That would totally suck!!

Thanks also for the info on the I94. Its what I assumed, but I just wanted to be sure :)

chris4.jpg

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline
Without an I-94 they can't really track how long you've been in the US unless they can only tell how many times you've entered the country. However, if you get an I-94 placed into your passport you're not necessarily flagged but you're at least a blip on their radar.

I'm not trying to be offensive, but can you stop giving people this advice? It just is not true. Unless you have facts to back this, I believe it's unethical to tell people "yeah go to the US and stay as long as you want..as long as you don't come back out and go back in a few times, they won't know..."

Overstay is overstay...period. Whether you get caught or not, well, who knows...but telling people they won't get caught is going to get someone really upset when they think it is okay and they are the ones that get caught!

"...My hair's mostly wind,

My eyes filled with grit

My skin's white then brown

My lips chapped and split

I've lain on the prairie and heard grasses sigh

I've stared at the vast open bowl of the sky

I've seen all the castles and faces in clouds

My home is the prairie and for that I am proud…

If You're not from the Prairie, you can't know my soul

You don't know our blizzards; you've not fought our cold

You can't know my mind, nor ever my heart

Unless deep within you there's somehow a part…

A part of these things that I've said that I know,

The wind, sky and earth, the storms and the snow.

Best say that you have - and then we'll be one,

For we will have shared that same blazing sun." - David Bouchard

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.