jhunjhun

How do I know if I'm US resident or Canadian resident

23 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

I just mailed my AOS application this week to US immigration. There was one posted message about receiving GST refund/credit from Canada while in the US. I don't know my residency here in USA. I'm pretty much sure that I'm still Canadian resident 'coz I assumed that my status in US immigration is undertermined at this time. I called the CRA about this and they referring me to cra website. I still have ties back in Canada...such as credit cards, bank accounts, and student loan. I'm Canadian visitor here in US, got married to my USC wife and just sent my AOS application. Can somebody help me to define my residency... I've received different answers...pls! thanks

"Have faith in God, Jesus answered. I'll tell you the truth. if anyone says to this mountain, Go, throw yourself to the sea, and that does not doubt in his heart but believes that what he says will happen. it will be done for him. Therefore I'll tell you, whatever you ask for in prayer, believe that you have received it, and it will be yours" (MARK 11:22-24)

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline
I just mailed my AOS application this week to US immigration. There was one posted message about receiving GST refund/credit from Canada while in the US. I don't know my residency here in USA. I'm pretty much sure that I'm still Canadian resident 'coz I assumed that my status in US immigration is undertermined at this time. I called the CRA about this and they referring me to cra website. I still have ties back in Canada...such as credit cards, bank accounts, and student loan. I'm Canadian visitor here in US, got married to my USC wife and just sent my AOS application. Can somebody help me to define my residency... I've received different answers...pls! thanks

I wouldn't cash that GST check if I were you. If you applied for AOS, I'm pretty sure you are not a Canadian resident any more. How long have you been in the US for?

Hold onto the GST check and give it back. Many horror stories about people owing thousands after they left the US and didn't realize they had to pay it back.

It's my understanding that if you live in Canada for more than 183 days in a year then you can consider yourself as canadian resident.

If you leave and apply to be a resident in another country, how could you still be considered a resident of your home country?

"...My hair's mostly wind,

My eyes filled with grit

My skin's white then brown

My lips chapped and split

I've lain on the prairie and heard grasses sigh

I've stared at the vast open bowl of the sky

I've seen all the castles and faces in clouds

My home is the prairie and for that I am proud…

If You're not from the Prairie, you can't know my soul

You don't know our blizzards; you've not fought our cold

You can't know my mind, nor ever my heart

Unless deep within you there's somehow a part…

A part of these things that I've said that I know,

The wind, sky and earth, the storms and the snow.

Best say that you have - and then we'll be one,

For we will have shared that same blazing sun." - David Bouchard

Timeline

I received a GST check last month and it was cashed. A month ago I didn't know about this issue. I arrived here in US on July 08 and I'm adjusting my status tru marriage. As I said, I just mailed my AOS application this week. You've mentioned about appliation for my AOS...I just APPLIED AND NO RESULTS/OUTCOMES YET from USCIS. Do you thinl I'm still eligible to receive a GST check for nxt year January for sure...or not...thanks in advance

Edited by jhunjhun

"Have faith in God, Jesus answered. I'll tell you the truth. if anyone says to this mountain, Go, throw yourself to the sea, and that does not doubt in his heart but believes that what he says will happen. it will be done for him. Therefore I'll tell you, whatever you ask for in prayer, believe that you have received it, and it will be yours" (MARK 11:22-24)

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

I don't think you should consider yourself a Canadian resident anymore. You don't live there anymore and you've applied to live in the US. You are in limbo, not one or the other. I think cashing the last cheque was probably okay unless they ask you on your next tax return what month you left Canada. So technically if you say you left Canada in JUly, you're no longer a resident.

In January you'll already have been out of Canada for over 6 months, so you should definitely not cash that cheque.

Removing Conditions

Sent package to VSC - 8/12/11

NOA1 - 8/16/11

Biometrics - 9/14/11

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

You are a Canadian resident until you have officially been granted a temporary working visa or permanent resident visa from the foreign country, period. Until such time you are considered a visitor and your country of residence is Canada.

If you try and visit the US and tell them that you are living with your girlfriend, fiancee, or wife, they will require that you have a visa in order to stay otherwise they can refuse you entry or they will limit your visit by giving you a I-94 form in your passport.

Just think of it like this, if you were to go on a 1 year vacation to anywhere in the world, even if you weren't living in Canada that entire year, you would still have to file for Canadian taxes and declare yourself a Canadian resident, not a resident of the country you are visiting. Residency is not based on where your "stuff" is, it's based on where you are legally residing. The only way you can denounce your Canadian residency is if you have a visa to work, study or live in another country. From reading your situation it doesn't sound like you fit any criteria for a non-Canadian resident.

Filing for AOS does not mean you are a legal US resident, it just means you filed to become a PR. When you get approved for the AOS it will be from that point (date) on that you are considered a legal US resident. For all intents and purposes you are Canadian visiting another country. I know I've repeated myself with several different examples but I'm sure one of these examples will make sense to you.

History

12/2000 Met Online

02/14/2001 Started dating

04/20/2001 Met in person

03/2002 Moved in together in the US

2002 - 2007 working in US on TN-1 Visa

05/2005 Registered as Common-law

06/2005 Proposed and Engaged

08/30/2007 - Married

I-130 (156 Days)

02/20/2008 I-130 Filed

03/10/2008 NOA1 - CSC confirmation sent

03/12/2008 date on online tracking - Touched

08/11/2008 - NOA2 - I-130 APPROVED!!! USCIS page updated. (156 Days)

NVC

08/14/2008 - NVC received my application and has assigned me a case number. Waiting for Beneficiary letter.

08/15/2008 - e-mailed the NVC for choice of Agent DS-3032, not sure if I was suppose to do this before actually getting paperwork sent to me.

08/25/2008 - AOS Fee Bill and DS-3032 Generated

08/30/2008 - Letter Recieved

09/02/2008 - AOS Fee Bill Paid and DS-3032 Choice of Agent e-mail sent

09/03/2008 - AOS Fee Bill Recorded as Paid

09/10/2008 - NVC sends DS-3203 Receipt Confirmation

09/10/2008 - IV Fee Bill Available and Paid

09/11/2008 - IV Fee Bill Processed - PAID, Coversheet Generated

09/11/2008 - Following directions on James' Shortcuts for creating DS-230 Package

09/18/2008 - Sent in I-864 and DS-230 (FedEx Overnight)

09/29/2008 - NVC Case Completed!

09/??/???? - Packet never received (sent in with James' Shortcuts as soon as bill was paid)

12/03/2008 - Interview - APPROVED!

12/04/2008 - Visa Received

Timeline
Filing for AOS does not mean you are a legal US resident, it just means you filed to become a PR. When you get approved for the AOS it will be from that point (date) on that you are considered a legal US resident. For all intents and purposes you are Canadian visiting another country. I know I've repeated myself with several different examples but I'm sure one of these examples will make sense to you.

I agree with this.. from what CRA told me last year, they care only about the date on the green card. That was the date that was used when determining last year when I "left" Canada for good.

AOS:

2007-02-22: Sent AOS /EAD

2007-03-06 : NOA1 AOS /EAD

2007-03-28: Transferred to CSC

2007-05-17: EAD Card Production Ordered

2007-05-21: I485 Approved

2007-05-24: EAD Card Received

2007-06-01: Green Card Received!!

Removal of Conditions:

2009-02-27: Sent I-751

2009-03-07: NOA I-751

2009-03-31: Biometrics Appt. Hartford

2009-07-21: Touched (first time since biometrics) Perhaps address change?

2009-07-28: Approved at VSC

2009-08-25: Received card in the mail

Naturalization

2012-08-20: Submitted N-400

2013-01-18: Became Citizen

Timeline

Actually, that is not technically true. I did not receive my green card until May 26, 2006. I physically left Canada May 7, 2004. For income tax purposes I ceased to be a Canadian resident on May 7, 2004 not May 26, 2006. For GST purposes, the day you left your permanent residence in Canada - gave up your address and your belongings - and moved to the US, you are no longer a Canadian citizen. Tax residency requirements are different than immigration residency requirements.

You will be required to repay that GST amount, if not before your income taxes are filed, then when they review your exit income tax returns early in 2009. You are required to state the date you left Canada on your return and that is the date they use for tax related calculations. Your "tax' residency for both countries is the date you physically move to the US to live in the US, not when you apply for or receive your green card.

Edited by Kathryn41

“...Isn't it splendid to think of all the things there are to find out about? It just makes me feel glad to be alive--it's such an interesting world. It wouldn't be half so interesting if we knew all about everything, would it? There'd be no scope for imagination then, would there?”

. Lucy Maude Montgomery, Anne of Green Gables

5892822976_477b1a77f7_z.jpg

Another Member of the VJ Fluffy Kitty Posse!

Timeline
Actually, that is not technically true. I did not receive my green card until May 26, 2006. I physically left Canada May 7, 2004. For income tax purposes I ceased to be a Canadian resident on May 7, 2004 not May 26, 2006. For GST purposes, the day you left your permanent residence in Canada - gave up your address and your belongings - and moved to the US, you are no longer a Canadian citizen. Tax residency requirements are different than immigration residency requirements.

mmm I'm SURE they told me to use the May date (GC date) not the Feb date as my date of residency for tax purposes. :wacko:

AOS:

2007-02-22: Sent AOS /EAD

2007-03-06 : NOA1 AOS /EAD

2007-03-28: Transferred to CSC

2007-05-17: EAD Card Production Ordered

2007-05-21: I485 Approved

2007-05-24: EAD Card Received

2007-06-01: Green Card Received!!

Removal of Conditions:

2009-02-27: Sent I-751

2009-03-07: NOA I-751

2009-03-31: Biometrics Appt. Hartford

2009-07-21: Touched (first time since biometrics) Perhaps address change?

2009-07-28: Approved at VSC

2009-08-25: Received card in the mail

Naturalization

2012-08-20: Submitted N-400

2013-01-18: Became Citizen

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

You will be required to repay that GST amount, if not before your income taxes are filed, then when they review your exit income tax returns early in 2009. You are required to state the date you left Canada on your return and that is the date they use for tax related calculations. Your "tax' residency for both countries is the date you physically move to the US to live in the US, not when you apply for or receive your green card.

:yes:

jhunjhun, as far as Canada is concerned, particularly the tax people, you are no longer a Canadian resident, and you will have to pay back anything that was paid to you (GST, etc). You also need to inform them that you no longer reside in Canada.

think about it, if you have the temp EAD or the regular EAD, and are working, you are already paying taxes on your income (which means you are a resident as far as the IRS is concerned), but you aren't a resident yet (conditional or permanent) as far as USCIS is concerned.

*Cheryl -- Nova Scotia ....... Jerry -- Oklahoma*

Jan 17, 2014 N-400 submitted

Jan 27, 2014 NOA received and cheque cashed

Feb 13, 2014 Biometrics scheduled

Nov 7, 2014 NOA received and interview scheduled

MAY IS NATIONAL STROKE AWARENESS MONTH
Educate Yourself on the Warning Signs of Stroke -- talk to me, I am a survivor!

"Life is as the little shadow that runs across the grass and loses itself in the sunset" ---Crowfoot

The true measure of a society is how those who have treat those who don't.

Filed: Other Timeline

I'll third that.

divorced - April 2010 moved back to Ontario May 2010 and surrendered green card

PLEASE DO NOT PRIVATE MESSAGE ME OR EMAIL ME. I HAVE NO IDEA ABOUT CURRENT US IMMIGRATION PROCEDURES!!!!!

Timeline

If that the case that I need to pay the GST check that I cashed last month (obtober 2008), does the CRA will consider/use my Non-refundable Federal credit worth $7000's CAD to pay that amount? or this is didderent thing?

Timeline

Thank you....I knew I wasn't going insane.

When I had filed for AOS, I was not still a visitor in another country. I in fact had no legal status, including that of a visitor. Considering you can't go home to your country unless approved, how can you be deemed a visitor. It is all very logical.

Edited by thetreble

"...My hair's mostly wind,

My eyes filled with grit

My skin's white then brown

My lips chapped and split

I've lain on the prairie and heard grasses sigh

I've stared at the vast open bowl of the sky

I've seen all the castles and faces in clouds

My home is the prairie and for that I am proud…

If You're not from the Prairie, you can't know my soul

You don't know our blizzards; you've not fought our cold

You can't know my mind, nor ever my heart

Unless deep within you there's somehow a part…

A part of these things that I've said that I know,

The wind, sky and earth, the storms and the snow.

Best say that you have - and then we'll be one,

For we will have shared that same blazing sun." - David Bouchard

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline
If that the case that I need to pay the GST check that I cashed last month (obtober 2008), does the CRA will consider/use my Non-refundable Federal credit worth $7000's CAD to pay that amount? or this is didderent thing?

Was that a 2007 tax refund? If so then no repayment, because you were a resident in Canada for your 2007 tax year.

Removing Conditions

Sent package to VSC - 8/12/11

NOA1 - 8/16/11

Biometrics - 9/14/11

Timeline

I believe my GST credit was calculated based on my 2007 tax return.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.