Henia

Free calling to and from MENA

42 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline
Forgot to add the link:

Call PC to PC for FREE with SKYPE!

Now you guys are only a PC away from calling and seeing your loved ones for free. I seriously can't believe you people haven't heard of it. Where do you all live...Post Katrina Louisiana? :blink:

Haven't "you people" (you) heard of tact? :whistle:

Not everyone watches Oprah and runs to buy whatever she says is golden. :wacko:

Exactly.

In all seriousness, I think the last time I actually watched a part of an Oprah show, was when it was on the news...when Tom Cruise was jumping up and down like an azz over Katie Holmes. :lol:

I did see her election night! She looked marvelous! But her show...no thanks! :P

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Egypt
Timeline
Forgot to add the link:

Now you guys are only a PC away from calling and seeing your loved ones for free. I seriously can't believe you people haven't heard of it. Where do you all live...Post Katrina Louisiana? :blink:

are you always this rude when trying to give advice? geesh if you had actually read the OP you'd know that her family doesn't own a pc. Neither does my husband's family so skype isn't really an option unless you call from skype to their phone which btw isn't as cheap as most of the cards out there.

no no no, use magicjack. they plug it into their computer. You activate it and give it a number that is local to you. you pay like 26 dollars a year for it. send it to ur relative over seas. They plug it to their computer, and use it to call u. u can also call them and either way it is unlimited calling at no extra charge!!!! we use it alllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllll the time and the connection is fantastic! I highly recommend it!!!!!

:thumbs:

I agree w/ Amal. Even if your family has no computer. They can call you on YOUR magic jack and you can simply "miss call" them or text them to call you. That way its a local number for them and they can call ur "computer/magicjack" anytime! We love ours and the ones we sent to our family overseas. :star:

Ok can you explain again how magic jack would work if the people in Egypt dont' have a computer? I'm confuzzled.

They could either load it to a cafe computer OR a friends computer. U know how close they are with their friends so I'm sure it wouldn't be that difficult. If they don't have a pc at home, chances are that they hav eto go to a cafe anyway to talk via computer, so why not hook up magic jack on the pc they're at and make a free phone call while they're at it lol. They just have to remember to take "jack" with them when they leave.

Actually they don't go to a cafe so we have to wait until he saves up enough money to buy them a cheap computer. It's just his two sisters who are very very shy about walking into a cafe. We had them do it once when he first got here but it was their first time using a webcam and quite frankly for one of them first time using a computer!

"Only from your heart can you touch the sky" - Rumi

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Syria
Timeline

does the majic jack work well without high speed internet? i told my husband about it last july and told him to take one with him to syria and he said the internet is way to slow so he didnt think they would work well.

Forgot to add the link:

are you always this rude when trying to give advice? geesh if you had actually read the OP you'd know that her family doesn't own a pc. Neither does my husband's family so skype isn't really an option unless you call from skype to their phone which btw isn't as cheap as most of the cards out there.

no no no, use magicjack. they plug it into their computer. You activate it and give it a number that is local to you. you pay like 26 dollars a year for it. send it to ur relative over seas. They plug it to their computer, and use it to call u. u can also call them and either way it is unlimited calling at no extra charge!!!! we use it alllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllll the time and the connection is fantastic! I highly recommend it!!!!!

:thumbs:

I agree w/ Amal. Even if your family has no computer. They can call you on YOUR magic jack and you can simply "miss call" them or text them to call you. That way its a local number for them and they can call ur "computer/magicjack" anytime! We love ours and the ones we sent to our family overseas. :star:

Ok can you explain again how magic jack would work if the people in Egypt dont' have a computer? I'm confuzzled.

They could either load it to a cafe computer OR a friends computer. U know how close they are with their friends so I'm sure it wouldn't be that difficult. If they don't have a pc at home, chances are that they hav eto go to a cafe anyway to talk via computer, so why not hook up magic jack on the pc they're at and make a free phone call while they're at it lol. They just have to remember to take "jack" with them when they leave.

Actually they don't go to a cafe so we have to wait until he saves up enough money to buy them a cheap computer. It's just his two sisters who are very very shy about walking into a cafe. We had them do it once when he first got here but it was their first time using a webcam and quite frankly for one of them first time using a computer!

Makes sense...my hubbys sister and/or his two female cousins would not venture into a netcafe in Cairo. Thank god they have internet/computers at home. As for my cousins and female friends in Jordan (including myself while I was there) it was more acceptable and more comfortable. Funny how it differs from country to country.

Filed: Country: Iran
Timeline
In all seriousness, I think the last time I actually watched a part of an Oprah show, was when it was on the news...when Tom Cruise was jumping up and down like an azz over Katie Holmes. :lol:

I did see her election night! She looked marvelous! But her show...no thanks! :P

It's actually my grandmother that watches Oprah all the time so I had to watch it by default when I was with her. I noticed even they use Skype when video interviewing people that couldn't make it to the studio.

Well, I can see why Tom would make an azz of himself over a woman half his age. I'm sure I'd do the same if I were a middle-aged woman with a 20-something yr old guy. No wait, I forget. I don't want to be a mother. :P:D

It's actually my grandmother that watches Oprah all the time so I had to watch it by default when I was with her. I noticed even they use Skype when video interviewing people that couldn't make it to the studio.

Well, I can see why Tom would make an azz of himself over a woman half his age. I'm sure I'd do the same if I were a middle-aged woman with a 20-something yr old guy. No wait, I forget. I don't want to be a mother. :P:D

:lol:

Haven't you people heard of Skype? She didn't say she didn't know about Skype. She was asking if there was anything that is FREE to mobiles or landlines using the internet. Not internet to internet. Don't you people watch Oprah? Sheesh, I thought everyone used Skype to video chat with their family over the PC. Just so u know, there is also paltalk, netmeeting, yahoo video chat, msn video chat, jillian, there is wayyyyyyyyyy more than just Skype to internet/internet chat with loved ones over seas.

:wacko:

You can call a landline or mobile phone using Skype but it costs something. good to know, but the OP was looking for something that was free. I think it's cheaper than if you just call using a regular phone though.

Now that my old mum has figured out how to use Skype we talk every day. :dance:

Visited Jordan-December 2004

Interview-December 2005

Visa approved-December 2005, 1 week later after supplying "more information"

Arrived U.S.A.-December 2005

Removed Conditions-September 2008

Divorced in December 2013

lovingmemory.jpgInlovingmemory-2.gifmybabygirl-1-1.jpghenna_rose.jpg37320lovesaved-1.jpg

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Egypt
Timeline
Forgot to add the link:

Dang baby, where you life? Are you in post Katrina Louisiana? I thought everyone heard of Magic Jack :girlwerewolf2xn:

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline

I've heard magic jack is similar to vonage? And it should work overseas as long as there's an internet connection. Anyone have experience with either/or for that (overseas, not here) ? I'm looking into setting that up in Morocco for the in-laws

Wish-upon-a-star-1.jpg

2009-07-11 AOS packet mailed (and supposedly delivered the same day)

2009-07-15 NOA1 for I-485, I-131, I-765 (USCIS rec'd date is 07-12)

2009-08-05 Case transferred to CSC

2009-08-12 no biometrics yet.......called on 30 day mark to report no biometrics, a service inquiry has been made on the case.....

2009-08-25 - received Biometrics appointment letter!

2009-08-27 I-131 (AP) approved

2009-09-15 Biometrics appointment

2009-09-15 EAD Card production ordered!

2009-09-23 EAD Card received

2009-10-06 GC approved/card production ordered

2009-10-13 GC received in the mail!

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Morocco
Timeline

My brother in law installed it for my in-laws when he was visiting Morocco last month. They can now call our house anytime they would like for free of charge. When they call it shows up as a number from a small local city. It is always the same number.

The only complaints I have heard is through my MIL who claims that it is sometimes hard to get or keep a connection, so she will call from her cell phone to save time.

When they first got it they were calling our house two and three times a day if not more.

1/17/07: Filed I130

1/26/07: NOA 1

4/9/07: NOA 2

5/22/07: Received DS3032/AOS bill

5/22/07 Sent choice of agent email

5/23/07: Paid AOS fee

6/7/07: Received IV bill

6/8/07: Paid IV bill

6/10/07: IV bill received by NVC

06/15/07: Sent I-864 Packet to NVC

6/28/07: Mailed DS230

7/16/07: Case complete!

Interview: 9/6/07@8:00 a.m.

9/7/07 Visa in hand!!

11/15/07: Green Card Arrives

DSC01907-1.jpg

I know that in the beginning, hubsters family had slow connection and it worked pretty well. Every once-in-a-while, they'd have to hang up and call back coz the connection wasn't very good but that only happened a couple times. It was STILL better than the internet voice chatting coz you are free to move about your home as you like (unless you have a phone with a cord, in which case.....seriously its the 2000's, get a cordless! lol!! j/k)

Visited Jordan-December 2004

Interview-December 2005

Visa approved-December 2005, 1 week later after supplying "more information"

Arrived U.S.A.-December 2005

Removed Conditions-September 2008

Divorced in December 2013

lovingmemory.jpgInlovingmemory-2.gifmybabygirl-1-1.jpghenna_rose.jpg37320lovesaved-1.jpg

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Egypt
Timeline

Before kamal left morocco, his brother set him up with a vonage account. Whats nice about this, is that we can call there like we are calling San Deigo. And it only costs his brothr $25.00 a month for this service for the family. Mom can call us anytime and not be charged, except for if she calls a cell phone, there is a big charge! And that i don't know why.

07/21/11 filed AOS off tourist visa

07/28/11 USCIS cashed check

07/30/11 Recieved NOA1 and Biometrics letter

08/24/2011 Biometrics

08/25/2011 RFE sent to us for some info we've already sent in

08/30/2011 sent in the rest of info USCIS asked for

09/13/2011 went to congressman's office to sign papers for expedite of work permit, due to financial hardship

09/15/2011 Work permit expedite approved!! He can finally find a job!

09/24/2011 work permit arrives

09/26/2011 Apply for social security number!

09/30/2011 Letter is sent for interview

11/07/2011 INTERVIEW!!!

Its 2012 and still no approval! Still waiting

01/27/2012 Letter sent stating that file was sent on for more review :(

9iad5hjppr.png

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Algeria
Timeline

Hi everyone!

Thanks for the tips but ovoo I only got 1 free minute then it asked me to buy more credit. I cannot use Skype since I cannot buy the credit (no credit cards in Algeria and I canceled all my accounts in the US when I moved here) and my mom who I want to talk with doesn't have PC (doesn't know how to use one and doesn't want to learn, very stubborn ... rather pay high bills ... but not me! If I can I want it FREE LOL!)

I will try this magicstick out but I have to ask again .... I have Internet at home (DSL) here in Algeria but my mom in the US doesn't have a PC ... can we use this? Thanks everyone! Have a great day!

OMg what the HLL did I write magicstick ... it's magicjack ... jeez I was thinking what a werid name! LOL!Sorry!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Morocco
Timeline

salam

where is ur mother is she in the US?? if so u can call her cellphone or landline using www.ICall.com its free totally to call usa and canada !!!!!

PS: its limited to 5 minutes but u can call back again for another 5 min and so on!!!!!!

i hope that helps!!

Edited by Herolmounia

In the name of Allah most gracious most merciful

AOS Timeline

04/03/2009 Vaccination updated (form I-693)

08/11/2009 AOS application sent

08/13/2009 USCIS received AOS application

08/18/2009 NOAS I-485,I-765, I131 DATED

08/19/2009 Check cashed

08/21/2009 NOAS HARD COPIES RECEIVED

08/31/2009 Biometric letter received dated 8-26-09

09/08/2009 Applied for State ID

09/09/2009 State ID issued

09/10/2009 Case transferred to CSC

09/14/2009 Received the transfer notice in the mail

09/17/2009 Case received and pending

09/22/2009 Biometric Appointment 11:00 AM, Touched on I-485 and I-765

09/23/2009 Touched on I-485 and I-765

10/09/2009 I-131 APPROVED, I-765 card ordered

10/14/2009 I-765 card ordered again

10/15/2009 I-765 touched, AOS Approved

10/16/2009 Touched I-485, AP received in mail

10/19/2009 EAD approval sent Oct 16th, EAD received in mail

10/20/2009 AOS approval sent

10/21/2009 Welcome letter received

10/22/2009 GC received alhamdulillah

Done with uscis until ... 10/14/2011

preg.png

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.