Muh and me

Is the romance gone?

81 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Syria
Timeline
Thanks everyone!

Reading all of your posts made me teary about my situation. But only for a moment. I'm tough and I will survive. I've got plans. Forgive me for momentary weakness.

:star:

girl, you're allowed to feel weak. that is one of the great things about this group. We're not just here for the good times but we are here in the weaker moments as well. I think you and I could do some serious beetching together about the things our boys do that drive us batty!!! I, for one, love ya. take a deep breath and exhale slowly. we will soon find our inner "chi's " and come out of the tunnel much better, stronger, and wizer than ever before :thumbs:

:blush: Thank you for your kind words!

Nutty I live in Portland if you ever want to get together, if you would like some emotional support :star:

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thank you for your male perspective Brad!

I was going to say the same thing..you beat me to the punch! Thanks Brad!!! :thumbs:

good post brad! it is always good to get a man's perspective on these issues :thumbs:

Visited Jordan-December 2004

Interview-December 2005

Visa approved-December 2005, 1 week later after supplying "more information"

Arrived U.S.A.-December 2005

Removed Conditions-September 2008

Divorced in December 2013

lovingmemory.jpgInlovingmemory-2.gifmybabygirl-1-1.jpghenna_rose.jpg37320lovesaved-1.jpg

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline

I guess I'm weird... I actually was relieved about the not-celebrating-holidays/birthdays thing. We're both very hit and miss about it, and I even worried at times it might 'bite us' if he gets called for a ROC interview (I heard they sometimes ask what gifts you bought each other). We went so far as to 'assign' certain gifts to certain occasions after the fact (um... ok, if they ask, the GPS we bought in November last year was really a Christmas present). Even that sort of went by the wayside. I think if he gets interviewed, we'll just tell them we decided not to do gifts for celebrations, we just buy each other what we want when we can (I've always liked that philosophy, even before I met him).

As far as buying things in general - we get more starry eyed over thoughtful gestures than things that cost money anyway. For example, my ex is trying to take full custody of my kids. When I got in the car to go to see my lawyer one morning, I found a note from my husband (who had worked overnight) on the steering wheel, encouraging me and reminding me just to say "bismillah" and things like that. It made me very teary eyed, and I was so happy about it. I made sure to mention it to him as soon as possible (after I was home and he woke up).

:wub:

met online May 2006

visited him in Morocco July 2006

K-1 petition sent late September 2006 after second visit

December 2006 - third trip - went for his visa interview (stood outside all day)

visa approved! arrived here together right before Christmas 2006

married January 2007

AOS paperwork sent February 2007

RFE (yipee)

another RFE (yikes)

AOS approval July 2007

sent Removal of Conditions paperwork 01 May 2009

received I-751 NOA 14 May 2009

received ASC appt. notice 28 May 2009

biometrics appt. 12 June 2009

I-751 approval date 25 Sept 2009 (no updates on the system - still says 'received'/"initial review")

19 Oct 2009 - got text message "card production ordered"

24 Oct 2009 - actual card in the mail box!

sent his N-400 - 14 May 2010

check cashed 27 May 2010

NOA received 29 May 2010 (dated 24 May)

Biometrics Appointment Letter received 17 June 2010

Biometrics scheduled for 08 July 2010; walk-in successfully done in Philadelphia 07 July 2010

02 Oct 2010 - FINALLY got email saying the case was being transferred to the local office. Hoping to get his interview letter soon...

05 Oct 2010 - received interview letter!!!!

08 November 2010 - scheduled for N-400 interview

- went together for interview; file isn't there - need to wait to be rescheduled

Jan 2011 - went for Infopass

25 Feb 2011 - interview

19 April 2011 - Infopass

8 July 2011 - HE'S FINALLY A CITIZEN - WOO HOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

30 July 2011 - citizenship party

Filed: Timeline
I guess I'm weird... I actually was relieved about the not-celebrating-holidays/birthdays thing. We're both very hit and miss about it, and I even worried at times it might 'bite us' if he gets called for a ROC interview (I heard they sometimes ask what gifts you bought each other). We went so far as to 'assign' certain gifts to certain occasions after the fact (um... ok, if they ask, the GPS we bought in November last year was really a Christmas present). Even that sort of went by the wayside. I think if he gets interviewed, we'll just tell them we decided not to do gifts for celebrations, we just buy each other what we want when we can (I've always liked that philosophy, even before I met him).

As far as buying things in general - we get more starry eyed over thoughtful gestures than things that cost money anyway. For example, my ex is trying to take full custody of my kids. When I got in the car to go to see my lawyer one morning, I found a note from my husband (who had worked overnight) on the steering wheel, encouraging me and reminding me just to say "bismillah" and things like that. It made me very teary eyed, and I was so happy about it. I made sure to mention it to him as soon as possible (after I was home and he woke up).

:wub:

OH I LOVE the leaving the notes thing! Personally I like sweet thoughtful gestures more than material gifts...with the exception of the wedding ring thing *eh hem* so if my husband leaves me notes, cooks me dinner or even makes me some really good mint tea, there will be a happy ending LOL for sure :yes:

Thanks ladies - you gave me a few great laughs (and some serious stuff too) with this. Honestly, we (men) really are trainable :lol: Just help us adapt culturally - with kindness and love. :star: Women are wonderful, complex creatures, and men have an unbelievably tough time figuring out what our women need sometimes.

After my Viktoria moved back to Ukraine, I spent a pretty awesome week with her in her hometown. Towards the end of the week she said that we needed to talk about something important. Alarm bells were going off in my thick male head. She asked me why, after we had spent almost a week together, that I had never once brought flowers. She patiently explained how important this gesture was for Ukrainian women (she used the term Slavic women), and I promptly created some barely believable excuse that she ignored completely. The real problem is that my Russian wasn't up to ordering flowers.

Within 15 minutes walk of my apartment, there was about a half mile of flower vendors near Ushakova St. It is a beautiful sight, and I come back every time kicking myself for not taking pictures. I thought "OK - these folks want to sell me flowers, and I want to buy them. We can probably work this out!" Sure enough, after a few minutes of VERY slow/often repeated Russian I had a decent looking bunch of flowers. To this day I think Vika likes flowers more than almost any other gift.

My point of course is that she had to teach me what she needed. No way would I have thought that a few flowers would make her so happy. No matter if it is a flower, card, or slingin' a mop - tell us what you need. We want you to be happy, but we are men, and that means we are just not hard-wired to figure it out on our own.

Take Care

Brad, that is so true. Thank you for your honesty. I also tell my husband, "tell me what you need. I am not a mind reader." Sometimes, I think he gets the point.

Men and women both do this :lol: We assume that our wants and needs are so obvious that they cannot be missed or misunderstood. I believe that men are far less intuitive generally (at least I am), so all we can do is ask questions and try different things - to see what our woman really likes. But sometimes you have to tell us directly!

My pleasure - if any of my goofy insight is helpful.

I was going to say the same thing..you beat me to the punch! Thanks Brad!!! :thumbs:

;)

My point of course is that she had to teach me what she needed. No way would I have thought that a few flowers would make her so happy. No matter if it is a flower, card, or slingin' a mop - tell us what you need. We want you to be happy, but we are men, and that means we are just not hard-wired to figure it out on our own.

Take Care

This is exactly what my husband tells me. There have been so many times when I have thought that if I hint at something he'll figure it out...:no:

Apparently my husband needs me to spell it out for him :lol:

The part I struggle with at times is taking the periodic "review of Brad's behavior" in the spirit in which it was intended. Sometimes I don't understand the difference between being criticized and being helped to understand her needs.

good post brad! it is always good to get a man's perspective on these issues :thumbs:

It sounds like we all agree :thumbs:

3dflags_ukr0001-0001a.gif3dflags_usa0001-0001a.gif

Travelers - not tourists

Friday.gif

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Iran
Timeline
Thanks everyone!

Reading all of your posts made me teary about my situation. But only for a moment. I'm tough and I will survive. I've got plans. Forgive me for momentary weakness.

:star:

girl, you're allowed to feel weak. that is one of the great things about this group. We're not just here for the good times but we are here in the weaker moments as well. I think you and I could do some serious beetching together about the things our boys do that drive us batty!!! I, for one, love ya. take a deep breath and exhale slowly. we will soon find our inner "chi's " and come out of the tunnel much better, stronger, and wizer than ever before :thumbs:

:blush: Thank you for your kind words!

Nutty I live in Portland if you ever want to get together, if you would like some emotional support :star:

Thanks so much for your offer!!!! (F) But I don't want to start crying on people's shoulders in the real world.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.