Kathryn41

Remembrance Day

23 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

Couple of things..

We do have the poppy thing here in WI. Not sure why they don't anywhere else in the US? I was just discussing these holidays with my husband last night,

like what's the difference between Remembrance day and Veteran's day. Remembrance day sounds more like remembering those who died and Veterans day

recognizes & thanks those who have served, are serving AND those who gave their life for their country. Where I live we've always had a big emphasis placed

on veterans and those currently serving in the military for the 4th of July. Veterans day, not so much (and yes I agree with you all, that's kinda weird).

But, we do have poppies being given out all all the stores and donations taken for the veterans.

There IS a great appreciation for our veterans where I live, but I think that the Vietnam war and the protestors of that war ruined the appreciation many had for veterans in

general. Just remember from a while back (well even now too I guess) when everyone was talking about the war in Iraq...not everyone is supportive. So much negativity.

I realize what the negativity is toward, but it does come out in a way that can be disrespctful toward those serving and their families. I suppose they feel it's not benefiting them directly to have troops in

Iraq, idk. And therefore people in general aren't all fired up about veterans day. It's sad really.

Now about the OP. My husband grew up near Chatham and has been there many times (me too) and it's weird that there's no sign recognizing this man. The sign you see

when driving into Chatham is..."Home of baseball hall of famer Ferguson Jenkins (sp?)" Hubby didn't even know about the man on the $10 bill and that he had lived in Chatham.

Obviously it was before his time if the guy retired to Ottawa and is/was 90 now. You'd think Chatham would want to memorialize him in some way since he lived there during

the prime years of his life. No?

3/5/11 sent LOC paperwork

3/9/11 date of NOA

?/?/?? biometrics appointment

Couple of things..

We do have the poppy thing here in WI. Not sure why they don't anywhere else in the US? I was just discussing these holidays with my husband last night,

like what's the difference between Remembrance day and Veteran's day. Remembrance day sounds more like remembering those who died and Veterans day

recognizes & thanks those who have served, are serving AND those who gave their life for their country.

I agree. I think the poppy is regional though, maybe the closer you are to Canada, the more it's used. Where I live we've always had a big emphasis placed

on veterans and those currently serving in the military for the 4th of July. Veterans day, not so much (and yes I agree with you all, that's kinda weird).

But, we do have poppies being given out all all the stores and donations taken for the veterans.

There IS a great appreciation for our veterans where I live, but I think that the Vietnam war and the protestors of that war ruined the appreciation many had for veterans in

general. Just remember from a while back (well even now too I guess) when everyone was talking about the war in Iraq...not everyone is supportive. So much negativity.

I realize what the negativity is toward, but it does come out in a way that can be disrespctful toward those serving and their families. I suppose they feel it's not benefiting them directly to have troops in

Iraq, idk. And therefore people in general aren't all fired up about veterans day. It's sad really.

Now about the OP. My husband grew up near Chatham and has been there many times (me too) and it's weird that there's no sign recognizing this man. The sign you see

when driving into Chatham is..."Home of baseball hall of famer Ferguson Jenkins (sp?)" Hubby didn't even know about the man on the $10 bill and that he had lived in Chatham.

Obviously it was before his time if the guy retired to Ottawa and is/was 90 now. You'd think Chatham would want to memorialize him in some way since he lived there during

the prime years of his life. No?

Yeah, good ol' Fergie. I remember going to a Blue Jays game one time and it was Fergie Jenkins day. He was playing for the Texas Rangers then. He didn't show up though. He was caught coming across the border with a couple of joints and detained! :o

I would think Chatham would want to memorialize him as well, and I think I'm going to google the city's website, and send an email to this effect to the mayor!

Edited by Carlawarla
carlahmsb4.gif

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline
Yeah, I just don't get it. Yesterday at work, all day long, not a single soul said anything about Veteran's Day or honouring vets or anything. And only one person bothered to ask me about the poppy and ribbon. I honestly wonder how many of them even knew it was Veteran's Day at all if I hadn't mentioned it!

I'm used to at least a moment of silence at 11am, my last job back home our entire buildings complex (2 highrises, one lowrise) the security manager would go over the building PA system at 11am and everyone would stop what we were doing. Here...nothing. But there's a sale at Macy's! :wacko:

Thanks btw Scotty, for your many years of service to all branches of the Canadian forces. We're all grateful, even if we don't always show it :D May you be one of those guys at 112 years old at the cenotaph ceremonies. :yes:

Amen to that. Thank ya, Flames.

My husband let it go without a word about it. I got my poppies through the mail now and will be wearing them for awhile. I guess Remembrance day for us is a solemn day, thinking about those who have died. And, although I find it weird, maybe veterans day here in the US is more to symbolize the importance of the military in general, past and present.

It just always is a sad day for me.

"...My hair's mostly wind,

My eyes filled with grit

My skin's white then brown

My lips chapped and split

I've lain on the prairie and heard grasses sigh

I've stared at the vast open bowl of the sky

I've seen all the castles and faces in clouds

My home is the prairie and for that I am proud…

If You're not from the Prairie, you can't know my soul

You don't know our blizzards; you've not fought our cold

You can't know my mind, nor ever my heart

Unless deep within you there's somehow a part…

A part of these things that I've said that I know,

The wind, sky and earth, the storms and the snow.

Best say that you have - and then we'll be one,

For we will have shared that same blazing sun." - David Bouchard

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline

As an American, I can say that some people really do care about Veteran's Day. Usually this is the case if they have a close family member who has served or is currently serving. If someone lacks any of that, they'll generally consider Veteran's Day as "just another day at work." I don't particularly agree with that stance, but many in the U.S. are so self-absorbed that if something doesn't directly benefit them, they want no part in it. Not all Americans are like that, of course. But enough are to react that way and see Veteran's Day as nothing more than a good excuse to go shopping during some sales.

I honestly think the attitude has become worse in recent years. There are so many distractions in life now (cell phones, iPods, the Internet and so on), that many people lose their focus and ability to concentrate unless they're being entertained or kept busy 24/7. Immediate gratification and self indulgence, I'd say, are the core issues.

Timeline
I honestly think the attitude has become worse in recent years. There are so many distractions in life now (cell phones, iPods, the Internet and so on), that many people lose their focus and ability to concentrate unless they're being entertained or kept busy 24/7. Immediate gratification and self indulgence, I'd say, are the core issues.

I wonder how much worse this will get. It isn't just in the US, it is global now. I see kids only a few years younger than me and the way they grew up is so totally different. My sister-in-law who is 21 can't have dinner at the table without sending texts the entire time. Are your friends REALLY saying something of importance that you text them for hours?

I just don't understand. What happened to alone time? I believe alone time has a good deal with understanding who you are and enjoying yourself. I also think it makes you a lot more independent. I think the world has set itself up for a bunch of dependent, never satisfied, whiners.

My eyes filled with grit

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline

I wonder how much worse this will get. It isn't just in the US, it is global now. I see kids only a few years younger than me and the way they grew up is so totally different. My sister-in-law who is 21 can't have dinner at the table without sending texts the entire time. Are your friends REALLY saying something of importance that you text them for hours?

I just don't understand. What happened to alone time? I believe alone time has a good deal with understanding who you are and enjoying yourself. I also think it makes you a lot more independent. I think the world has set itself up for a bunch of dependent, never satisfied, whiners.

I absolutely agree. Some people do need their cell phones on all the time (such as my dad, who's a physician), but the average person -- especially teenagers -- are not so important or necessary to get ahold of at anytime they need to be like that. I have no problem with someone keeping their cell phone on while walking around or in a store. I tend to dislike cell phone use in restaurants (more so if someone at my table answers their cell), classrooms and while driving.

I'm not that old (I'm currently 29), but many people less than 10 years younger than me have a completely different outlook on life. They automatically take for granted the Internet, cell phones (I remember car phones!) and other technology that's widely available today but wasn't always. For instance, I clearly remember using MS-DOS. How many kids today even know what that is? They think the Windows OS has been around forever (and the same is true of the Internet). I've heard teens ask, "Before the Internet? What did you do for fun?" Oh, I don't know... maybe we did stuff in real life.

Don't get me wrong. I love technology and I can be something of a "gadget nut." The Internet is what enabled me to meet my wife and talk on here. However, it's still no substitute for real life activities.

Even worse than an addiction to computers is that many teens despise reading. I've been told (and I quote) that "reading is gay" and that "no one reads for fun." :wacko:

Timeline

:lol:

I'm 24 and even I understand what you speak of. I started out on DOS (those were the days..) and maybe it is because I have a 30 year old brother but I remember what a big deal CDs were!!! I still make regular trips to a local small CD store and get about 10 cds at a time.

It's such a shame that reading has gone by the way side, although I blame that as much on parents as I do on kids. My parents read with me and to me constantly as a child. Sticking your kid in front of a tv with a wii is now the way of the future. I remember that before I was 15 or 16, any computer use I had was at school as we did not get a computer to I was almost 17.

Now it seems like teens spend so much time on the computer and on their phones I wonder how they have productive lives. I'm at a computer 9 hours a day, 5 days a week and I absolutely hate it! When I go home, getting on my home computer is the last thing on my mind.

Because I work at a university I see these things now too. With the age of helicopter parents and dependent children upon us, you don't know how many parents of 22 year old college seniors I have call me instead of their kids! (I'm only two years older than they are!)

My eyes filled with grit

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.