jpcanon

My story- just beginning...

15 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Colombia
Timeline

Hello to everyone! Well, here goes nothing: I met a girl from Colombia online about 9 months ago. Long story short, we met in Miami in June of this year, as she HAD (key word), a tourist visa. Then in July, she came to New York and then to my home in California. At the end of August, I went to visit her in Colombia for a week, and had a great time meeting her family, including her son, and got engaged. I suggested she try to get a tourist visa for her son to be able to travel to U.S., so she got an appointment for Oct. 30th in Bogota. When she went there, they denied her request for her son's visa, which we figured would probably happen. But, they actually took her visa away- I am not sure what happened, but they did- we had no idea that would be a possibility : ( Anyway, I am actually here in Colombia now for a few days, and she had plans to fly back to California with me on Nov. 9th. We were thinking about getting married back here in U.S. and then petitioning for her son. But, now that isn't going to happen, because she cannot travel back to U.S. I guess i have to start the K1 process, when i get back.... just looking for any advice- one thing I heard was to maybe use another address instead of filing in my area (Los Angeles) like Virginia or something, because L.A. can take much longer due to many Mexican immigrants applying for various visas in this area- not sure if true or not....

Anyway, thanks for any info, especially regarding the fact she will be coming from Colombia (if that makes a difference?)

Joe

K1

11/11/2008 - I-129F Sent

11/13/2008 - I-129F NOA1 issue date

11/17/2008 - Received NOA1 hard copy in the mail

1/23/2009 - Received email stating I was approved (NOA2) on 1/22/2009

1/26/2009 - Recieved NOA2 hard copy in the mail

4/29/2009 - Embassy interview date - was put into AP (given a form with 221(g) box checked)

12/25/2009 - Still stuck in AP- almost 8 MONTHS and counting... :(

12/28/2009 - Embassy finally called my gal for another "interview"

1/14/2010 - VISA APPROVED at the second interview- took about 8 1/2 months of AP

1/21/2010 - Visa delivered by courier- BUT, she opened sealed envelope that was for U.S. Immigration at POE.

Now embassy in Bogota wants us to do the medicals all over again.... nightmare continues.....

2/22/2010 - She went back to Bogota to get labs and medical re-done. Then back to embassy where they finally

re-issued the visa. Is valid until July 13th

7/3/2010 - She made it to the U.S. finally!!! I filed on November 11th 2008 and went thru 8 1/2 months of AP

AOS

12/16/2010 - Sent in packet by Fed Ex to Chicago

1/7/2011 - Notified by email from USCIS packet was received

1/25/2011 - Notified by email we are receiving an RFE

2/4/2011 - Sent translated birth cert in (RFE)

2/9/2011 - Biometrics done

3/1/2011 - EAD/AP card received

Filed: Other Country: China
Timeline
Hello to everyone! Well, here goes nothing: I met a girl from Colombia online about 9 months ago. Long story short, we met in Miami in June of this year, as she HAD (key word), a tourist visa. Then in July, she came to New York and then to my home in California. At the end of August, I went to visit her in Colombia for a week, and had a great time meeting her family, including her son, and got engaged. I suggested she try to get a tourist visa for her son to be able to travel to U.S., so she got an appointment for Oct. 30th in Bogota. When she went there, they denied her request for her son's visa, which we figured would probably happen. But, they actually took her visa away- I am not sure what happened, but they did- we had no idea that would be a possibility : ( Anyway, I am actually here in Colombia now for a few days, and she had plans to fly back to California with me on Nov. 9th. We were thinking about getting married back here in U.S. and then petitioning for her son. But, now that isn't going to happen, because she cannot travel back to U.S. I guess i have to start the K1 process, when i get back.... just looking for any advice- one thing I heard was to maybe use another address instead of filing in my area (Los Angeles) like Virginia or something, because L.A. can take much longer due to many Mexican immigrants applying for various visas in this area- not sure if true or not....

Anyway, thanks for any info, especially regarding the fact she will be coming from Colombia (if that makes a difference?)

Joe

I'd start by studying the K1 Guide here, then file with the appropriate service center. California is currently processing as fast or faster than Vermont anyway. If she had come and married you with the intent to stay, that would have been visa fraud anyway. She probably would have been deported and face a 10 year to lifetime ban from US entry. So it's good you didn't try that.

Facts are cheap...knowing how to use them is precious...
Understanding the big picture is priceless. Anonymous

Google Who is Pushbrk?

A Warning to Green Card Holders About Voting

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

Timeline

Joe

I'd start by studying the K1 Guide here, then file with the appropriate service center. California is currently processing as fast or faster than Vermont anyway. If she had come and married you with the intent to stay, that would have been visa fraud anyway. She probably would have been deported and face a 10 year to lifetime ban from US entry. So it's good you didn't try that.

K1

11/11/2008 - I-129F Sent

4/29/2009 - Embassy interview date - was put into AP (given a form with 221(g) box checked)

1/14/2010 - VISA APPROVED at the second interview- took about 8 1/2 months of AP

1/21/2010 - Visa delivered by courier- BUT, she opened sealed envelope that was for U.S. Immigration at POE.

Now embassy in Bogota wants us to do the medicals all over again.... nightmare continues.....

2/22/2010 - She went back to Bogota to get labs and medical re-done. Then back to embassy where they finally

7/3/2010 - She made it to the U.S. finally!!! I filed on November 11th 2008 and went thru 8 1/2 months of AP

AOS

Timeline

Joe

Ahhh, good point- i don't want to screw up by submitting to a center outside my area....

K1

11/11/2008 - I-129F Sent

AOS

Filed: IR-5 Country: Philippines
Timeline

Good luck on your journey Joe. Better start the soonest possible time and get all the paperworks and documents under lock and key. Take care!

Re the different address to use in the application, I am not so sure. I see the point in your inquiry but I am not very comfortable answering your question. Anybody there? What are your thoughts?

ppe47ozqawgdn.png

HappyDancer is a proud wife to a country boy in KY.

I-130 for Parents (Mom and Dad)

3.15.2014: Mailed I-130 Packet for Mom and Dad

3.21.2014: Received email notification with case # for both petitions; case forwarded to NBC for processing

3.21.2014: Check cashed

3.22.2014: Hard copy NOA1 received

4.08.2014: Both I-130 approved (notification received via email) - It only took three weeks!!!

4.11.2014: Received NOA2 approval notice in the mail.

5.01.2014: Called NVC to ask for status of paperwork. Advised they received both application on 4.28. Advised to call in 30 business days for an update.

6.02.2014: Email notification received from NVC that shows parents' NVC case number and instructions to pay AOS Fee and fill out DS 261.

6.03.2014: Paid AOS fee ($88 for both petitions)

N400:
4.26.2013: Mailed N400 Packet

5.21.2013: Biometrics

7.18.2013: Testing and Interview

9.25.2013: Oath Ceremony

Medical at St. Lukes:
http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/183224-experience-medical-at-st-lukes-extension-clinic/

K1 with K2 Visa Interview:
http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/184246-usem-interview-on-march-10-at-7am-approved/page__p__2728465#entry2728465

CFO:Review, tips and advise:
http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/186123-cforeview-tips-and-advise/

Timeline

Oops, i have to figure out how to post properly! Thanks for the tip on using the visa center in my area- will do that...

K1

11/11/2008 - I-129F Sent

AOS

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

For the k-1 visa you will need a few original documents from here, some American Style passport photo's (there is a pdf file around here saying exactly what that is), the G325 forms filled out with her original signature, and recommended by this site a letter of intent to marry with an original signature. That'll save you some postage when you get home and the time it takes to be shipped. The k-1 guides on this site will give you all the information you need, I just point out that one part because it's easier and faster to take care of those docs while you are there instead of having them sent to you after you go home.

Good luck on your journey Joe. Better start the soonest possible time and get all the paperworks and documents under lock and key. Take care!

Re the different address to use in the application, I am not so sure. I see the point in your inquiry but I am not very comfortable answering your question. Anybody there? What are your thoughts?

Your application has to be sent to the Centre depending on where you live. Each Service Centre has specific States that it accepts. The OP is in California, and his application will go there.

carlahmsb4.gif

Timeline

Your application has to be sent to the Centre depending on where you live. Each Service Centre has specific States that it accepts. The OP is in California, and his application will go there.

Petitions are sent to service centers. Visa applications come later and for most K1's are carried to an Embassy or Consulate.

Google Who is Pushbrk?

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

Timeline

I will make sure to post a timeline of events- seems like that is the norm on the site! As I said, I am in Colombia now, until Sunday, then head back home to Cali- as in California! I have to study and print the k1 forms and see if there are some things I or she can do while I am actually still here for the next few days, like have her sign some of the paperwork, or something????

Thanks much,

Joe

K1

11/11/2008 - I-129F Sent

AOS

I wouldnt worry about the processing time, our K visa went through California from Houston (where the local offices also have looooooong lines of people from south of the border) our timeline was about average - a little over 200 days from the date we mailed the application until the interview date at the embassy, and 178 days from filing to approval.

The trouble with using a different address is that your address goes on the I129F, the G325A (address history) and on the DS-156 visa application that your fiance will file (Section 24 - US address and telephone where your fiance will be staying in the US). The address is also on the I134F, tax returns, W2's that are submitted to the embassy at interview. A misrepresentation like that builds throughout the process and may come back to haunt you. Unraveling a potential discrepency is likely not going to be worth it.

i don't get it.

Timeline
I will make sure to post a timeline of events- seems like that is the norm on the site! As I said, I am in Colombia now, until Sunday, then head back home to Cali- as in California! I have to study and print the k1 forms and see if there are some things I or she can do while I am actually still here for the next few days, like have her sign some of the paperwork, or something????

Thanks much,

Joe

Download and fill out the G325a and have her sign all four copies. Then make sure you have all the information you need to file the I-129F. Bring back a few passport pictures of her. Get copies of any divorce decrees etc. Keep boarding passes and receipts from your travel.

Google Who is Pushbrk?

Timeline

Just got back from Colombia (Pereira) Sunday night. Thanks for the tips- my fiance signed the325A forms and also got a passport style photo from her. Filled out the I-129F and sentthe packet in today fed ex since no mail today. Turns out the CA. service center in Laguna Niguel is about 20 minutes from me! So, now I guess my "journey" begins.....

Joe

K1

11/11/2008 - I-129F Sent

AOS

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: New Zealand
Timeline

Welcome to VJ and good luck.

It would serve you well to study the GUIDES, FAQ and the rest of the information on this website to familiarize yourself with the process as you wait. Being informed and prepared as best you can will make the process as smooth as possible. ;)

timeline.jpg

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.