dreamcircus

Married but K3 not yet filed, entering U.S. should we go through separately?

8 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

I'm an Australian married to a U.S. citizen and we are returning to the U.S. tomorrow. I'm travelling on the 3-month visa-waiver. When we are in the States she will petition me for the K3, but we have not started the process yet.

My question is, tomorrow when we enter the U.S., at immigration checkpoint should she go through the U.S. citizens booth and I go the aliens booth? Does this make it safer that I am not refused entry because they might see that we are married and say to me something like "you intend to file for immigration don't you, so why are you here on the visa-waiver for visit purposes, you are not just visiting blah blah"?

Or is it OK for us to just go through the same booth and say we are married state the facts etc? Which is safer? Thanks.

When I (non-USC) enter to the US, I always go through the citizen line with my husband (USC) and never had any problem.

We usually tell IOs that we both live in Japan and the purpose of visit is visiting family in the US.

Good luck!

Immigration Process (DCF Japan)

08/06/2008 I-130 petition at Tokyo, Japan

08/13/2008 I-130 approved

|

| Waited until we were ready to move back

|

07/13/2009 IV interview at Tokyo, Japan

07/15/2009 IV(IR-1) in hand

Post-DCF

07/29/2009 POE at Las Vegas

08/17/2009 GC(10yrs) received

Click here for the detailed timeline.

Done with USCIS until

- naturalization in May 2012 or

- GC replacement in February 2019

CXmLm7.png

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: Netherlands
Timeline

I hope you don't have a problem with that, because when my husband tried to come on his visa waiver, they didn't allow him into the US. He had to go back home and they made me file the papers to bring him. Thus, the problem we are in now.

Filed: Other Country: China
Timeline
I'm an Australian married to a U.S. citizen and we are returning to the U.S. tomorrow. I'm travelling on the 3-month visa-waiver. When we are in the States she will petition me for the K3, but we have not started the process yet.

My question is, tomorrow when we enter the U.S., at immigration checkpoint should she go through the U.S. citizens booth and I go the aliens booth? Does this make it safer that I am not refused entry because they might see that we are married and say to me something like "you intend to file for immigration don't you, so why are you here on the visa-waiver for visit purposes, you are not just visiting blah blah"?

Or is it OK for us to just go through the same booth and say we are married state the facts etc? Which is safer? Thanks.

It would be safer to enter separately and state a truthful but generic purpose for your visit, like "visiting friends and family" etc.

Facts are cheap...knowing how to use them is precious...
Understanding the big picture is priceless. Anonymous

Google Who is Pushbrk?

A Warning to Green Card Holders About Voting

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

It would be safer to enter separately and state a truthful but generic purpose for your visit, like "visiting friends and family" etc.

But what if either one of them is asked if they were traveling with someone or traveling alone that day? I am pretty sure I have been asked that before. Then they have to say they were traveling with their spouse, and it will look very, very strange that they were trying to go through separately, as if they had reason to conceal that they were entering together.

My Crafting Blog - On a Roll - Blogspot

3179788211_95b93e62af_t.jpg3179788215_6a1e497e9b_t.jpg3165849344_f296789fd3_t.jpg

US Immigration Timeline

-------------------------

24 Feb 2007 - Sent I-130 to London USCIS office (I'm the petitioner)

25 May 2007 - NOA2

2 June 2007 - Received Packet 3

12 Oct 2007 - Sent Packet 3 back by special delivery

5 Nov 2007 - Interview in London - Approved without any hitches!

7 Nov 2007 - Visa and MBE arrived by SMS! :)

30 Jan 2008 - Fly to Michigan!! :)

*Note: Any delays in our case are only due to us taking things slowly

Filed: Other Country: China
Timeline

But what if either one of them is asked if they were traveling with someone or traveling alone that day? I am pretty sure I have been asked that before. Then they have to say they were traveling with their spouse, and it will look very, very strange that they were trying to go through separately, as if they had reason to conceal that they were entering together.

In my experience, people traveling together will approach the CBP booth together. When approaching alone, (many times and only alone in my case) I've never been asked if I was traveling with anybody. It's a possibility but not likely. The answer to the question would be "My spouse is in the other line because they (are or are not as the case may be) a US Citizen. No need to penalize or be suspicious of somebody following instructions.

Facts are cheap...knowing how to use them is precious...
Understanding the big picture is priceless. Anonymous

Google Who is Pushbrk?

A Warning to Green Card Holders About Voting

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

Yes I would definately enter in on the non Citizen side and say you are just visiting. We were almost denied entry from Canada and Mexico because he tried to enter with me. The Canadian side took him to a back room to question him. It was all very scary. I would just enter and say you are visiting family and friends. Have your wife enter on the citizen side. I don't think he was asked if he was travelling with someone the last time he entered on the non-citizen side.

In my experience, people traveling together will approach the CBP booth together. When approaching alone, (many times and only alone in my case) I've never been asked if I was traveling with anybody. It's a possibility but not likely. The answer to the question would be "My spouse is in the other line because they (are or are not as the case may be) a US Citizen. No need to penalize or be suspicious of somebody following instructions.

I-130 Sent : 2008-06-14

I-130 NOA1 : 2008-06-20

I-129F Sent : 2008-07-17

I-129F NOA1 : 2008-07-21

I-129F NOA2 : 2008-09-26

Touched - 2008-07-23

Touched - 2008-09-18

Touched - 2008-09-19

Emailed DS3230 - 10-08-08

Received AOS Package - 10-14-08

Paid AOS Bill - 10-15-08

Mailed hard copy DS3230 - 10-15-08

NVC Received DS3230 - 10-20-08

Paid IV Bill - 10-23-08

IV Bill Paid - 10-24-08

Mailed IV Package - 10-23-08

Received DS-230 at NVC - 10-24-08

CASE COMPLETE - 11-5-08

Interview - 1-13-09

Visa in Hand - 1-20-09

POE - LAX - 1-22-09 Woohoo!!!!

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

I second that...truthful and generic is the way to go.

*k3 Visa*

08-10-2008: NOA1

03-05-2009: NOA2

05-18-2009: K3 visa approved (Mumbai Consulate)

05-22-2009: POE LAX

*IR Visa*

07-10-2008: NOA1

03-05-2009: NOA2

08-13-2009: IR1 visa approved (Montreal, Canada)

08-15-2009: POE LAX

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.