Devildog

Fiancee background check in US

12 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: South Korea
Timeline

My Fiancee was here on a F-1 Student Visa before from Aug, 07 to Aug 08. She has some hospital bills that's not paid off by her school insurance and the hospital has turned the balance over to the collection agency. Would that affect her coming to US on K1 visa? What do they check when they check on her background? I just wanted to make sure nothing would stop or delay the time for her to arrive here in the US. I've filed the I-129 in July and waiting for NOA-2 sometime at the end of this month or by next month.

Thank you in advance for your response!

07/03/2008: I-129f sent via USPS

07/07/2008: I-129f received at CSC

07/22/2008: NOA-1 issued

11/11/2008: Touched

11/14/2008: Touched

11/14/2008: NOA-2 Approved

11/20/2008: NVC Received

11/21/2008: NVC Approved and sent to Embassy

11/24/2008: Embassy Received

12/15:2008: Medical Exam

01/22/2009: Interview - K-1 Visa Approved

01/28/2009: Visa Received

03/01/2009: POE (San Francisco, CA)

04/18/2009: Court Marriage (Chicago, IL)

05/13/2009: AOS Package sent via USPS

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Colombia
Timeline

They only care about felonies that a person was charged or has been charged for. If her police certificate doesn't show any criminal activity, then she's fine.

Diana

CR-1

02/05/07 - I-130 sent to NSC

05/03/07 - NOA2

05/10/07 - NVC receives petition, case # assigned

08/08/07 - Case Complete

09/27/07 - Interview, visa granted

10/02/07 - POE

11/16/07 - Received green card and Welcome to America letter in the mail

Removing Conditions

07/06/09 - I-751 sent to CSC

08/14/09 - Biometrics

09/27/09 - Approved

10/01/09 - Received 10 year green card

U.S. Citizenship

03/30/11 - N-400 sent via Priority Mail w/ delivery confirmation

05/12/11 - Biometrics

07/20/11 - Interview - passed

07/20/11 - Oath ceremony - same day as interview

My Fiancee was here on a F-1 Student Visa before from Aug, 07 to Aug 08. She has some hospital bills that's not paid off by her school insurance and the hospital has turned the balance over to the collection agency. Would that affect her coming to US on K1 visa? What do they check when they check on her background? I just wanted to make sure nothing would stop or delay the time for her to arrive here in the US. I've filed the I-129 in July and waiting for NOA-2 sometime at the end of this month or by next month.

Thank you in advance for your response!

Not a great way to start off her journey in the US. If I were you I'd pay them so she can get a clean start.

K1 denied, K3/K4, CR-1/CR-2, AOS, ROC, Adoption, US citizenship and dual citizenship

!! ALL PAU!

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline

You had better learn what is covered in the definition of a Crime involving Moral Turpitude is... Depending on circumstance, you could have issues

YMMV

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: South Korea
Timeline
You had better learn what is covered in the definition of a Crime involving Moral Turpitude is... Depending on circumstance, you could have issues

What do you mean? Can you explain that in detail? Does having a debt in collection agency count as a moral turpitude?

07/03/2008: I-129f sent via USPS

07/07/2008: I-129f received at CSC

07/22/2008: NOA-1 issued

11/11/2008: Touched

11/14/2008: Touched

11/14/2008: NOA-2 Approved

11/20/2008: NVC Received

11/21/2008: NVC Approved and sent to Embassy

11/24/2008: Embassy Received

12/15:2008: Medical Exam

01/22/2009: Interview - K-1 Visa Approved

01/28/2009: Visa Received

03/01/2009: POE (San Francisco, CA)

04/18/2009: Court Marriage (Chicago, IL)

05/13/2009: AOS Package sent via USPS

Having unpaid bills is a civil matter. This has nothing to do with crimes of moral turpitude.

What do you mean? Can you explain that in detail? Does having a debt in collection agency count as a moral turpitude?

Crimes of moral turpitude are the second category of crimes that can impact a non-citizen’s ability to be allowed K1 visa approval into the United States. Federal circuit court decisions and the Board of Immigration Appeals define these crimes. Generally, a crime of moral turpitude is defined as a crime that encompasses a base or vile act. Although the case law interpreting the term is not entirely uniform, the following types of crimes have been held to involve moral turpitude:

* crimes (felonies or misdemeanors) in which either an intent to defraud or an intent to steal is an element;

* crimes (felonies or misdemeanors) in which there is an element of intentional or reckless infliction of harm to persons or property;

* felonies, and some misdemeanors, in which malice is an element;

* sex offenses, in which some “lewd” intent is an element.

Thus, murder, rape, voluntary manslaughter, robbery, burglary, theft, arson, aggravated forms of assault, forgery, prostitution and shoplifting have all been consistently held to involve moral turpitude.

The advise that this senior VJ member gave you is unfounded. As long as your fiance doesn't have a felony or misdemeanor in the United States you have absolutely nothing to worry about, but if she was here for over 6 months she will need a police clearance.

Mike

Edited by mikelovesgracey

Timeline

I guess you missed DEPENDING ON CIRCUMSTANCES... I cannot say with 100% certainty that this is either only in the hands of a collection agency or even on the civil side of the ledger... If circumstances do not exist then no problems... I however am not going to be so bold as to say no problem... Only with an understanding of where the "lines" are, can then and only then the OP make that determination.

Edited by payxibka

YMMV

Timeline
........................ but if she was here for over 6 months she will need a police clearance.

Mike

Also, a Police report from the USA is NOT needed at any time for an alien's presence in the USA as the USCIS can and will do it as a part of the process...

Edited by payxibka

YMMV

........................ but if she was here for over 6 months she will need a police clearance.

Mike

Also, a Police report from the USA is NOT needed at any time for an alien's presence in the USA as the USCIS can and will do it as a part of the process...

Ok I stand corrected on the police report. It Isn't required.

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: Albania
Timeline

I don't think it will affect her getting her visa but it will affect if you ever want to rent or buy a house together. She may be unable to get a cell phone without a large down payment. Credit cards, forget about it. Pay them now! The dept collectors will find you and her. I had one hospital debt collector track me down for a bill of $20.31! (My insurance didn't cover one test and I moved before I got the bill.)

(On a personal note, I think it's incredibly rude for someone to use a service and not pay for it, it's called stealing and it makes it more expensive for the rest of us. I don't care if it is a candy bar or medical services, it's stealing. I'm sorry, I feel very strongly about this matter)

Sheep: Baa-ram-ewe, baa-ram-ewe. To your breed, your fleece, your clan be true. Sheep be true. Baa-ram-ewe.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.