Madwoman

Nairobi Embassy Thread!

1,841 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Kenya
Timeline

who has medical appointment 7aug?

Check with Rainyblue, I think the parents are going to do their medical on the 6th or something like that. As for me, my spouse already has his medical done. Just waiting for the interview now since I was not able to reschedule. Pray for me everyone. May Allah make it easier for us In shaa Allah.

02/15/13: Filed I-130 and got my NOA104/15/13: I-130 approved and got my NOA204/29/13: NVC received my file05/13/13: Case/IIN received05/13/13: DS-3032 sent05/24/13: DS-3032 1st email rejected, sent a second one and that one got rejected too on the same day.05/28/13: AOS bill invoiced and received email from NVC with all the info.05/28/13: Paid AOS bill right away.05/28/13: As soon as I received the official AOS email, I sent a 3rd DS-3032 email with "supervisor review" as the subject.05/29/13: NVC sent an email accepting the DS-3032 email smile.png (Alhamdulilah)O5/30/13: AOS bill shows PAID05/30/13: Received official DS-3032 Email and IV invoice info (waiting for the IV bill invoice to show up on payment portal)05/31/13: IV bill invoiced05/31/13: Pay IV Bill06/01/13: Sent out the AOS package (hoping In shaa Allah that I don't get a checklist)06/03/13: IV bill shows PAID06/04/13: Sent out the IV package (hoping In shaa Allah that I don't get a checklist)06/18/13: AOS package accepted (Alhamdulilah smile.png, no check list)06/20/13: IV package accepted (Alhamdulilah smile.png, no check list)06/20/13: Case complete at NVC dancin5hr.gifdancin5hr.gifdancin5hr.gifAlhamdulilah07/31/13: Medicaldancin5hr.gifdancin5hr.gifIn shaa Allah may Allah make it easier for him, Amiin.<p>08/14/13: Interview date at Nairobi Embassy dancin5hr.gifdancin5hr.gif In shaa Allah may Allah make it easier for him, Amiin. (Interview date changed because they had a problem finding the medical)01/07/2015: visa approved

Filed: Timeline

Hi everyone. My fiance's visa was approved yesterday! This thread has been such a big help to us throughout the process that I wanted to share our experiences here in case they can be of assistance to anyone else. I will try to give as much detail as possible, as that is what provided the greatest support to us. His 7 year old daughter was also approved. I mention details about her occasionally. Please message me if you have specific questions about what the process is like with a child. I had a hard time finding information about K-1 with kids involved.

Starting from NOA-2:

We received this in early June. By mid-June, our case was at the NVC. I called one time about 10 days after we received the NOA-2, and the woman at the NVC was able to confirm this for us. By the end of June, our case had reached Nairobi. I received an email confirming this and pointing us toward a page on the Nairobi consulate's website that listed instructions for Packet 3 and links to all required forms in preparation for the interview. We read conflicting directions from a few different sources--the instructions from the Nairobi consulate website had fewer requirements than were listed on the US Dept of State website, so we decided to fill out everything just to be safe. All forms, including DS-230 were needed at the interview.

Once all of our paperwork was complete, around mid-July, we called IOM to schedule his medical exam. We called several times over the course of a few days without reaching anyone. When we finally spoke to someone, she informed us that we needed to schedule by email. We had to wait a number of days to hear back via email as well, but were finally granted a medical exam for Aug 2. Directions on this email from IOM were confusing. See below for more explanation.

Then, through the CSC Visa Information Service website for Kenya, paid our MRV fee using mpesa (my fiance lives in Uganda) which was quite simple. Just follow the very clear directions given on the website. With the receipt from the MRV payment, we were able to schedule the visa interview in Nairobi. The calendar was pretty empty and we were able to schedule for the exact day we wanted, though there were appointments available as early as 4 days from when we logged in.

In Nairobi, Medical:

Preparing for his medical exam, my fiance's email from IOM said he needed to pay before his actual exam by obtaining a payment slip from IOM the day before. This was confusing, since the directions also state that the exact fees cannot be determined until you have your exam and are informed which vaccines are necessary. He went to IOM (which has moved but is now around the corner from the US Embassy. The physical address listed in the email they send you is now correct) the day before his medical to obtain the payment slip but they were very busy and told him not to worry about paying and to just come back the next day for his exam. He returned the following day (a Friday) for his exam. He consulted with the doctor who gave him the short list of vaccines he and his daughter needed and took his chest x-ray and blood work. His daughter had her skin TB test done as well. They received their payment slips with the total amount owed. Fortunately, the bank where IOM asks you to make the payment is just down the street from the clinic and located within Village Market, a lovely mall with food, shopping and free wifi. This day was very quick. They arrived around 8am and were out before 10am. They noted that the facility was packed and very cold, however they were allowed in and out during their wait, and food and beverages were also permitted.

Day 2 of the medical exam was on Monday. All results from tests and the x-ray were back and my fiance and his daughter received their vaccines. The doctor who examined them was nice and friendly. Their visa interviews were scheduled for that Wed, so my fiance inquired to ensure that the medical report would reach the embassy in time (IOM sends it automatically) and he assured them it would be fine and even wrote that this case was urgent. This process was easy, but took a long time. They arrived at 8am and didn't leave until 2pm.

In Nairobi, Interview:

My fiance and his daughter had their interview scheduled for 7:15am that Wednesday. They arrived by 6:45am and were immediately let into the building and waited in a short line. During the next hour or so, they were called up to 3 different windows and submitted all of the paperwork and supporting documentation through various people. Everyone was kind and polite.

After a short wait, they were called into their interview. The woman who interviewed them was a young American and was very friendly. She asked my fiance:

1. How did you and your fiance meet?

2. What does she do?

My fiance has legal guardianship of his daughter and brought proof of this through the court orders. The interviewer asked to see these, but didn't have any questions about them and did not speak to my fiance's daughter at all. I have read a number of threads debating whether or not court orders work for proving legal guardianship. Many say no, but we had no problems.

The woman then told them everything looked fine and that their visa was approved. She told them their passports would be ready to be collected from a DHL office within a week, but most likely sooner, and that we can track them online.

It wasn't until he returned to his hotel that my fiance realized the embassy had kept his and his daughter's original birth certificates and a few other original copies of important paperwork. Not sure if this is normal. I've looked around a bit for help, but there are differing thoughts. We called the embassy back after realizing this and they said they should be returned to us in a folder when we pick up the passports. I hope so!

That's our story! We still sort of can't believe we are through this step and can now breathe a sigh of relief. A few things we learned from observing others' in the process:

1. Bring correct sized passport photos and bring more than enough copies. We were asked for extras at the interview.

2. Bring 2 copies of all documents with you to the interview, even if it doesn't say that you need them.

3. If you are unsure of whether or not to sign a document, don't sign. They will help you at the embassy.

4. Female interviewers seemed nicer than men. I've read that a lot on this site, and didn't want to believe it, but my fiance also noticed that the male interviewers were cold and less polite. That being said, don't despair if you get a man. Tell the truth and you will be fine.

5. Select the DHL at Village Market to pick up your passport. It is the closest location to the embassy, so its likely to get there sooner than the other locations.

Tips for staying in Nairobi if you are also from Uganda:

1. It is more expensive here than in Uganda. Be prepared.

2. There are many cheap hotels in the city center. We stayed at Terminal Hotel. It is in a great location--across from a Nakumatt and a Java's Coffee. It is around $30 a night and is clean with hot water, mosquito nets and free wifi. It is about a $10 taxi ride from there to IOM and the embassy.

3. Learn the bus and matatu routes--they are far cheaper than taking a taxi everywhere.

4. Plan to stay there longer than you'd think. We've been here over a week now and have a few more days wait until the passports are ready.

Best of luck to all. Feel free to message me with any other questions.

Cheers,

k and r

Timeline

I was having a lot of trouble trying to find out how long it usually takes to get the green card in the mail after entering the USA (CR1 visa). My husband entered July 15, 2013. I called the USCIS today (1800-375-5283) to see what the status of it was. The rep told me that it usually takes 30 days from when you payed the new immigrant fee of $165 to get your green card, BUT they are currently backed up with the applications and the CURRENT PROCESSING TIME IS 45 DAYS FROM WHEN YOU PAYED THE NEW IMMIGRANT FEE.

I hope this helps others. It was difficult for me to even figure out where to call to find this information.

Timeline

For everyone: this is my spouse experience. ***Alwayz make sure that the embassy got your medical*** so you don't go through this. (See below)

My husband had a problem though. He was told that they didn't have his medical. He did his medical in Mombasa so he was told to reschedule his appointment as they can't seem to locate his medical. Apparently the consular lady that I spoke to claimed that he said he did his medical at IOM...and my spouse told them that he did it in Mombasa (so there was a miscommunication). I checked with the Mombasa doctor and they gave me an airway bill #, I checked DHL website and it was received on August 7th. It was sitting in the Mail room. I think this was the consular's fault, they should check their mail room and not claim things that they don't know. Anywayz, I called the consular services and told them that it was received at the embassy. I told them I had waited a long time for interview date and since this was their fault and not ours, we should be rescheduled asap, She told me to have my spouse come this wednesday august 14th at 7am. I was relieved and I thanked God.

02/15/13: Filed I-130 and got my NOA104/15/13: I-130 approved and got my NOA204/29/13: NVC received my file05/13/13: Case/IIN received05/13/13: DS-3032 sent05/24/13: DS-3032 1st email rejected, sent a second one and that one got rejected too on the same day.05/28/13: AOS bill invoiced and received email from NVC with all the info.05/28/13: Paid AOS bill right away.05/28/13: As soon as I received the official AOS email, I sent a 3rd DS-3032 email with "supervisor review" as the subject.05/29/13: NVC sent an email accepting the DS-3032 email smile.png (Alhamdulilah)O5/30/13: AOS bill shows PAID05/30/13: Received official DS-3032 Email and IV invoice info (waiting for the IV bill invoice to show up on payment portal)05/31/13: IV bill invoiced05/31/13: Pay IV Bill06/01/13: Sent out the AOS package (hoping In shaa Allah that I don't get a checklist)06/03/13: IV bill shows PAID06/04/13: Sent out the IV package (hoping In shaa Allah that I don't get a checklist)06/18/13: AOS package accepted (Alhamdulilah smile.png, no check list)06/20/13: IV package accepted (Alhamdulilah smile.png, no check list)06/20/13: Case complete at NVC dancin5hr.gifdancin5hr.gifdancin5hr.gifAlhamdulilah07/31/13: Medicaldancin5hr.gifdancin5hr.gifIn shaa Allah may Allah make it easier for him, Amiin.<p>08/14/13: Interview date at Nairobi Embassy dancin5hr.gifdancin5hr.gif In shaa Allah may Allah make it easier for him, Amiin. (Interview date changed because they had a problem finding the medical)01/07/2015: visa approved

Filed: IR-5 Country: Uganda
Timeline

Yay!!!!! My parents were approved. They said there were a lot of people at Kenya embassy but all went well. Will put up a review for those interested later but they were only asked 3 questions.

1. How many times has petitioner been married? (They think it was a trick question) . Been married once.

2. What does petitioner do?

3. What does spouse do?

They then said visa has been granted, check website and they were out in 3 hours.

I would like to thank VJ members for their input and help.

Edited by rainyblue

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Uganda
Timeline

Yay!!!!! My parents were approved. They said there were a lot of people at Kenya embassy but all went well. Will put up a review for those interested later but they were only asked 3 questions.

1. How many times has petitioner been married? (They think it was a trick question) . Been married once.

2. What does petitioner do?

3. What does spouse do?

They then said visa has been granted, check website and they were out in 3 hours.

I would like to thank VJ members for their input and help.

Congrats!

• 1 month later...
Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Uganda
Timeline

Hello everyone,

My fiance filled petition in jan 2013, it was approved on 23rd Aug, then NVC recieved it on 16 Sept. It has taken over 9 months for all that to happen.

After NVC recieving the file they sent email with NRB number which i used to have my medicals done inclusive my son.

Could someone advise if this could affect during my interview at the embassy since medicals were done way earlier before my file gets to the embassy in Nairobi?

I will be grateful hearing your views.

Thanks,

Lyne

Edited by LYNE

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Kenya
Timeline

What format is the NVC tracking number so you may book an appointment?

For Kenya the police certificate is the certificate of good conduct from CID correct? Plus how do yo get an interview scheduled? By NVC or yourselves and were their dates closer than 2 months for Embassy appointments? Finally in Kenya there is no packet 3 you just make the appointment once it’s at NVC correct? Please provide guidance on this.

Edited by MD & NM

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Kenya
Timeline

Hello everyone,

My fiance filled petition in jan 2013, it was approved on 23rd Aug, then NVC recieved it on 16 Sept. It has taken over 9 months for all that to happen.

After NVC recieving the file they sent email with NRB number which i used to have my medicals done inclusive my son.

Could someone advise if this could affect during my interview at the embassy since medicals were done way earlier before my file gets to the embassy in Nairobi?

I will be grateful hearing your views.

Thanks,

Lyne

LYNE according to9 my understanding the earlier your Medical the better but its taking 1 week for your file to get to Nairobi track it here .

https://ceac.state.gov/CEACStatTracker/Status.aspx?

Hi everyone. My fiance's visa was approved yesterday! This thread has been such a big help to us throughout the process that I wanted to share our experiences here in case they can be of assistance to anyone else. I will try to give as much detail as possible, as that is what provided the greatest support to us. His 7 year old daughter was also approved. I mention details about her occasionally. Please message me if you have specific questions about what the process is like with a child. I had a hard time finding information about K-1 with kids involved.

Starting from NOA-2:

We received this in early June. By mid-June, our case was at the NVC. I called one time about 10 days after we received the NOA-2, and the woman at the NVC was able to confirm this for us. By the end of June, our case had reached Nairobi. I received an email confirming this and pointing us toward a page on the Nairobi consulate's website that listed instructions for Packet 3 and links to all required forms in preparation for the interview. We read conflicting directions from a few different sources--the instructions from the Nairobi consulate website had fewer requirements than were listed on the US Dept of State website, so we decided to fill out everything just to be safe. All forms, including DS-230 were needed at the interview.

Once all of our paperwork was complete, around mid-July, we called IOM to schedule his medical exam. We called several times over the course of a few days without reaching anyone. When we finally spoke to someone, she informed us that we needed to schedule by email. We had to wait a number of days to hear back via email as well, but were finally granted a medical exam for Aug 2. Directions on this email from IOM were confusing. See below for more explanation.

Then, through the CSC Visa Information Service website for Kenya, paid our MRV fee using mpesa (my fiance lives in Uganda) which was quite simple. Just follow the very clear directions given on the website. With the receipt from the MRV payment, we were able to schedule the visa interview in Nairobi. The calendar was pretty empty and we were able to schedule for the exact day we wanted, though there were appointments available as early as 4 days from when we logged in.

In Nairobi, Medical:

Preparing for his medical exam, my fiance's email from IOM said he needed to pay before his actual exam by obtaining a payment slip from IOM the day before. This was confusing, since the directions also state that the exact fees cannot be determined until you have your exam and are informed which vaccines are necessary. He went to IOM (which has moved but is now around the corner from the US Embassy. The physical address listed in the email they send you is now correct) the day before his medical to obtain the payment slip but they were very busy and told him not to worry about paying and to just come back the next day for his exam. He returned the following day (a Friday) for his exam. He consulted with the doctor who gave him the short list of vaccines he and his daughter needed and took his chest x-ray and blood work. His daughter had her skin TB test done as well. They received their payment slips with the total amount owed. Fortunately, the bank where IOM asks you to make the payment is just down the street from the clinic and located within Village Market, a lovely mall with food, shopping and free wifi. This day was very quick. They arrived around 8am and were out before 10am. They noted that the facility was packed and very cold, however they were allowed in and out during their wait, and food and beverages were also permitted.

Day 2 of the medical exam was on Monday. All results from tests and the x-ray were back and my fiance and his daughter received their vaccines. The doctor who examined them was nice and friendly. Their visa interviews were scheduled for that Wed, so my fiance inquired to ensure that the medical report would reach the embassy in time (IOM sends it automatically) and he assured them it would be fine and even wrote that this case was urgent. This process was easy, but took a long time. They arrived at 8am and didn't leave until 2pm.

In Nairobi, Interview:

My fiance and his daughter had their interview scheduled for 7:15am that Wednesday. They arrived by 6:45am and were immediately let into the building and waited in a short line. During the next hour or so, they were called up to 3 different windows and submitted all of the paperwork and supporting documentation through various people. Everyone was kind and polite.

After a short wait, they were called into their interview. The woman who interviewed them was a young American and was very friendly. She asked my fiance:

2. What does she do?

My fiance has legal guardianship of his daughter and brought proof of this through the court orders. The interviewer asked to see these, but didn't have any questions about them and did not speak to my fiance's daughter at all. I have read a number of threads debating whether or not court orders work for proving legal guardianship. Many say no, but we had no problems.

The woman then told them everything looked fine and that their visa was approved. She told them their passports would be ready to be collected from a DHL office within a week, but most likely sooner, and that we can track them online.

It wasn't until he returned to his hotel that my fiance realized the embassy had kept his and his daughter's original birth certificates and a few other original copies of important paperwork. Not sure if this is normal. I've looked around a bit for help, but there are differing thoughts. We called the embassy back after realizing this and they said they should be returned to us in a folder when we pick up the passports. I hope so!

That's our story! We still sort of can't believe we are through this step and can now breathe a sigh of relief. A few things we learned from observing others' in the process:

1. Bring correct sized passport photos and bring more than enough copies. We were asked for extras at the interview.

2. Bring 2 copies of all documents with you to the interview, even if it doesn't say that you need them.

3. If you are unsure of whether or not to sign a document, don't sign. They will help you at the embassy.

4. Female interviewers seemed nicer than men. I've read that a lot on this site, and didn't want to believe it, but my fiance also noticed that the male interviewers were cold and less polite. That being said, don't despair if you get a man. Tell the truth and you will be fine.

5. Select the DHL at Village Market to pick up your passport. It is the closest location to the embassy, so its likely to get there sooner than the other locations.

2. There are many cheap hotels in the city center. We stayed at Terminal Hotel. It is in a great location--across from a Nakumatt and a Java's Coffee. It is around $30 a night and is clean with hot water, mosquito nets and free wifi. It is about a $10 taxi ride from there to IOM and the embassy.

3. Learn the bus and matatu routes--they are far cheaper than taking a taxi everywhere.

4. Plan to stay there longer than you'd think. We've been here over a week now and have a few more days wait until the passports are ready.

Cheers,

k and r

KLRM Many thanks for posting your experience it was Awesome for people needing information.

Timeline

Hello everyone,

My petition is still in transit after being sent from NVC on 04.10.2013 (last friday),

1- Does anyone know how many days it takes to get to the Nairobi Embassy?.

2-I am trying to put all my paper work together however if someone has had an interview mid last month or early this month please advise if I need to fill form DS-260/ 261 SINCE I have read on the website that this form replaced DS-230, BUT they go ahead and say " Beneficiaries submitting new cases that arrive at the National Visa Center from U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) on or after September 1 , 2013 will be instructed to complete the DS-260/261 in lieu of the DS-230/3032. We will not require DS-260s for beneficiaries of documentary qualified cases already in process at NVC on September 1, 2013. For all other cases where NVC has occasion to send a “checklist” of missing documents after September 1, 2013 NVC will instruct petitioners/agents/beneficiaries to submit the DS-260 along with those missing documents, even if a DS-230 was already on file" PLEASE ADVISE ON WHAT THIS COULD EXACTLY MEAN BECAUSE I AM ALITTLE CONFUSED.

3- I have filled in forms, DS-156 DS-156K duplicate for me and one for my son, please elite me if I need to fill out more documents since I am going in for interviews with my 10 year old son...

I will be delighted, and thank you in advance.

Timeline

Starting from NOA-2:

In Nairobi, Medical:

In Nairobi, Interview:

2. What does she do?

Cheers,

k and r

Hello Kand R- your message is so helpful, and Congs upon getting the visa, my question here is did your fiance and his daughter share the came case number while doing the medicals or each had a different number, why I am asking is because I and my son did our medicals after NVC had given me the NRB2013..... before file was sent to Nairobi office... A little worried because on checking case online they say case is ready for interview however there are two different numbers,e.g NRB2013.....01 NRB AND NRB2013.....02 NRB.

Please advise

Filed: Timeline

Hi LYNE,

Thanks for the kind words and I am happy to see your case progressing. My fiance and his daughter also had different case numbers, but it is fine to use yours for all of the official things, such as for your medicals. You will be fine having done that.

Let me know if you have any other questions and best of luck.

K

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.