Madwoman

Nairobi Embassy Thread!

1,841 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Kenya
Timeline

Just checking in with everyone...how is everybody doing? Ben and I are wonderful (L)(F):luv: I can't believe it's 2013 already.

Some words of wisdom for those still going through the process...always stay positive; stay focused on the outcome; get to know The Nairobi Embassy (this thread should do that); be neat and organized with all your paperwork; and enjoy what you have now even if you are apart. I really miss certain aspects of our relationship when we were apart - believe it or not - it was "that good" and "that wonderful"! Cherish every single day...you will be together soon and then you will start a whole new chapter in your life. It's a stressful process; I know that. If you let it, it can really wreak havoc on you, your health, etc. Don't let that happen. Be strong and stick together. Grow within your relationship and talk about what you will do when you are together. Friday night was supposed to be pizza and movie night - ummmm, well, that never happened! LOL Ben isn't crazy about CHEESE...omggggggg! :huh::unsure::blink: So, everytime I get together with friends and they ask what I want to eat.............PIZZAAAAAAAAAAAAAA, lolololol.

Be strong, stay focused, and we are all here to help along the way. Just ask. You can do it...you will make it through and live a happy and beautiful fairy tale (without the pizza, haha) :bonk: Much love and shine on everyone, xo. ~Jill

Hello ,

Hope you are wonderful, i got a 29th April date for my interview, do you think its possible to reschedule to an earlier date after some time? Its almost 3months away.

Thanks

qS2up3.png

HZf6m4.png

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Kenya
Timeline

Hi Demmy, you can continue to check the website to see if an earlier date opens up (I kept checking, but the more I checked...the further away the openings were :( ). When we scheduled our K-1, the wait was only about two weeks.

I wanted to ask you, if you haven't heard from the Embassy yet, how did you schedule your medical? Doesn't IOM (medical offices) require the email from the Embassy? Just wondering - we needed that in order to schedule everything. Also, you won't receive a packet from Nairobi. When they send you an email that they've received your file, that email will contain instructions on where to go to prepare the rest of your paperwork. Everything you need is located on the Nairobi Embassy website. You should review your paperwork now...it can be overwhelming. Go here: http://nairobi.usembassy.gov/immigrant_visas.html and read through everything.

Nairobi can be a difficult Embassy. Being thorough, organized, and prepared is extremely important. Good luck with everything and stay blessed.

Men are like stars ~ there are a million of them, but only ONE can make your dreams come true. I found my STAR...

event.png

~K E N Y A~

Timeline

Hi Demmy, you can continue to check the website to see if an earlier date opens up (I kept checking, but the more I checked...the further away the openings were :( ). When we scheduled our K-1, the wait was only about two weeks.

I wanted to ask you, if you haven't heard from the Embassy yet, how did you schedule your medical? Doesn't IOM (medical offices) require the email from the Embassy? Just wondering - we needed that in order to schedule everything. Also, you won't receive a packet from Nairobi. When they send you an email that they've received your file, that email will contain instructions on where to go to prepare the rest of your paperwork. Everything you need is located on the Nairobi Embassy website. You should review your paperwork now...it can be overwhelming. Go here: http://nairobi.usembassy.gov/immigrant_visas.html and read through everything.

Nairobi can be a difficult Embassy. Being thorough, organized, and prepared is extremely important. Good luck with everything and stay blessed.

I only used my case number from NVC to schedule my medical appointment, i was advised to bring the letter from the embassy containing my case number on the day i show up for the medical. I have gone through the website and printed out all the forms i will need to fill online. I have filled them out with all the right info so that i can have an easy time during the online application. We are required to fill in the DS-160 form in addition to the other forms (DS-156, DS-156K and DS-230) i already filled the DS-160 and submitted online.....you do not need a case number for this. After submission, you get a confirmation page with a Bar-code, then you can print out the MRV receipt and pay the visa fees. After payment it is possible to schedule an interview date.

The wait is much longer now, there are no early interview dates available. I have a long time to prepare for the interview so i'll take your advise and be thorough. Thank you for the response. Much blessings your way!

qS2up3.png

HZf6m4.png

• 3 weeks later...
Timeline

I only used my case number from NVC to schedule my medical appointment, i was advised to bring the letter from the embassy containing my case number on the day i show up for the medical. I have gone through the website and printed out all the forms i will need to fill online. I have filled them out with all the right info so that i can have an easy time during the online application. We are required to fill in the DS-160 form in addition to the other forms (DS-156, DS-156K and DS-230) i already filled the DS-160 and submitted online.....you do not need a case number for this. After submission, you get a confirmation page with a Bar-code, then you can print out the MRV receipt and pay the visa fees. After payment it is possible to schedule an interview date.

The wait is much longer now, there are no early interview dates available. I have a long time to prepare for the interview so i'll take your advise and be thorough. Thank you for the response. Much blessings your way!

It sounds like you have everything under perfect control. You go, girl, lol. You'll be super fine. Stay blessed.

Men are like stars ~ there are a million of them, but only ONE can make your dreams come true. I found my STAR...

event.png

~K E N Y A~

Hi all,

How's everyone doing? I've been busy getting married and settling in. I just read Jill's and Joy's update. Beautiful pictures, Joy! I'll attach a picture of my wedding too. Things have been amazing. But I miss Mauritius like crazy. I miss the warm weather and the beach and the sand and the people and the food!! lol. I'm in New Jersey and the weather is cranky. And yes everyone seems to think pizza is staple food! I'm starting to hate pizza here. Other than that, I love the diverse cuisine and restaurants. I'm starting to have favorites. Also, i love free refills! I can never finish a cup to get a free refill, but the idea of getting a free refill is amazing!

Anyways, here's a picture for you.

Love of love.

Edited by Cotton Candy

Timeline

Hi all,

How's everyone doing? I've been busy getting married and settling in. I just read Jill's and Joy's update. Beautiful pictures, Joy! I'll attach a picture of my wedding too. Things have been amazing. But I miss Mauritius like crazy. I miss the warm weather and the beach and the sand and the people and the food!! lol. I'm in New Jersey and the weather is cranky. And yes everyone seems to think pizza is staple food! I'm starting to hate pizza here. Other than that, I love the diverse cuisine and restaurants. I'm starting to have favorites. Also, i love free refills! I can never finish a cup to get a free refill, but the idea of getting a free refill is amazing!

Love of love.

So pretty!! Your dress is gorgeous :)

We are still here, still waiting (since August) for ROC to come through. Sifa is eligible to apply for citizenship in July! Time flies.

K-1
09/09/09 - NOA1 :: 10/20/09 - NOA2 :: 01/11/10 - Interview :: 02/24/10 - POE :: 04/10/10 - Wedding

AOS
05/17/10 - NOA :: 06/08/10 - Transferred to CSC :: 07/02/10 - Biometrics :: 07/16/10 - EAD/AP Approved :: 10/26/10 - AOS Approved

ROC
08/16/12 - NOA :: 09/13/12 - Biometrics :: 04/12/13 - Approved :: 04/19/13 - GC received

Naturalization
08/22/13 - NOA :: 09/20/13 - Biometrics :: 01/30/14 - Interview - Approved :: 02/27/14 - Oath

Timeline

Cotton Candy...I "love" the picture! OMG, it's beautiful and so are you and your husband! Your dress is lovely! :blush:(F)(L) Congratulations. I laughed out loud when you said you are in New Jersey and the weather is cranky, LOL. Ben and I are in New Jersey, too. It will get better ~ Spring is on the way! :luv::yes: We will be filing ROC this October...again, I have to put together 'another' file - UGH :angry::blink: Oh well, at least after this we get a long break until Ben applies for citizenship. I won't complain, it's all worth it. Enjoy everything to the fullest and stay blessed. ~Jill

event.png

~K E N Y A~

Timeline

Wow...Cotton Candy....I love it!!! You both look amazing. Congratulations.

Katie & Sifa...im also waiting for my ROC approval.... :( The process requires a lot of patience :yes: Good luck and hope you guys get approved soon.

Ben & Jill, I wish you all the best in your preparations for ROC process.

About the weather....im so ready for summer............ :D :D :D

• 2 weeks later...
Timeline

Hi all,

Love of love.

Lovely pic, Zay :wow: Congratulations on your nuptials. I feel you on pizza :whistle: and for me the list extends to cheese or anything containing cheese, including tv food commercials...yikes! :alien:

Taatabunny,

My belated congratulations on the birth of your son :dance:

Joy,

Your wedding photos are beautiful (L) Congratulations to you and Aaron.

Jill,

We wish you all the best in your (Ben's) intended ROC.

Nyosh,

lol, summer B-) Having survived winter, I guess i'm so ready for more outdoor fun times ahead..spring (though its still so cold), SUMMER, fall B-)

To all those with recent approvals, congratulations and all the best on the rest of your visa journey. Those waiting for their approvals, I wish you a speedy process. Demmy and all those waiting for interviews, good luck.

K1 visa journey

1/10/12 - NOA1
6/ 8 /12 - NOA2
6/20/12 - Received at NVC
6/21/12 - Assigned case number and sent to consulate
6/25/12 - Received at Nairobi Embassy
6/27/12 - Email from Nairobi Embassy (packet 3/instructions)
8/22/12 - Interview - APPROVED
8/29/12 - Received visa
10/14/12 - POE (Boston)
12/12/12 - Wedding ❤❤❤

AOS/EAD/AP

1/18/13 - Package delivered at Chicago lockbox
1/24/13 - NOA1 (email and text)for AOS/EAD/AP
1/25/13 - Received biometrics appointment letter and NOA1s letters
2/12/13 - Biometrics at 1.00pm (Lawrence, MA)
3/15/13 - EAD/AP approved, 3/21/13 mailed
3/23/13 - Received EAD/AP combo

8/27/13 - AOS approved & subsequent card production ordered (no interview)

Got my NOA2 today after 191 days!! So happy. Now on to NVC and then awaiting an interview in Nairobi. Anyone recently go through the interview process that can tell me how long it took between case complete at NVC until they scheduled your interview? I am getting excited/nervous about everything now that we will finally be moving forward. Any advice would be much appreciated!

2013 began CR1 process

Fast forward to:

2/24/16- Husband received 10 year green card

Starting the process over again for our daughter (IR2):

1/13/16 NOA1 from Potomac Service Center

4/5/16 NOA2!

4/7/16 Case sent to NVC

4/22/16 Received NVC Case and Invoice Numbers

4/22/16 Submitted DS-261

4/22/16 Invoice for AOS Received. Paid AOS Fee

4/25/16 AOS Fee shows as PAID

4/27/16 Invoice for IV Received. Paid IV Fee

4/29/16 IV Fee Shows as PAID

4/29/16 Submitted DS-260

5/6/16 Sent AOS and IV packages

5/9/16 AOS and IV packages received by NVC

5/9/16 Scan Date

6/10/16 Case Complete

8/8/16 Received Interview Date

9/20/16 Interview Date

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Kenya
Timeline

Hi all,

I haven't posted to the forum before, but I've been following everyone's conversations to get tips and tricks since last August when my fiancé and I submitted the I-129F. It was recently approved and now we've started gathering all the materials for the interview (date yet to be set).

One quick question about the police certificates: on the K visa instructions sheet, it says that "Each applicant is required to submit a police certificate from the police authorities OF EACH locality of the country of the applicant’s nationality or current residence where the applicant has resided for at least six months since attaining the age of sixteen." Since my fiancé has lived in three localities for 6 months or more, does this mean he needs to get police certificates from each one?

As far as we were aware, the police certificate issued is by the CID in Nairobi is a "Certificate of Good Conduct" not limited to one locality, but applying to the entire country. Is this a correct interpretation? In your experiences is this the only one you/your fiancé(e)'s obtained?

Thanks for your help!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Uganda
Timeline

One quick question about the police certificates: on the K visa instructions sheet, it says that "Each applicant is required to submit a police certificate from the police authorities OF EACH locality of the country of the applicant’s nationality or current residence where the applicant has resided for at least six months since attaining the age of sixteen." Since my fiancé has lived in three localities for 6 months or more, does this mean he needs to get police certificates from each one?

As far as we were aware, the police certificate issued is by the CID in Nairobi is a "Certificate of Good Conduct" not limited to one locality, but applying to the entire country. Is this a correct interpretation? In your experiences is this the only one you/your fiancé(e)'s obtained?

My (now) husband has lived in multiple cities in Uganda, but he only obtained one certificate of good conduct from the main police station in Kampala, and this was sufficient at the interview in Nairobi. So, it seems likely that this would also be the case for Kenya, but hopefully some past Kenyan applicants can comment?

Good luck!

Edited by afoyoswa

Joy (& Aaron, who doesn't read/post here yet)

Dec. 27, 2010: First met each other in Entebbe, Uganda while I was visiting my friend/his cousin (12/27/10 - 1/10/11) (visited again Jul. 2-9, 2011 and Dec. 24, 2011 - Jan. 9, 2012; engaged 1/7/12)

K-1

Feb. 18, 2012: I-129F sent (delivered 2/21 per USPS & USCIS; NOA1 notice date 2/23/12; check cashed/email/text 2/24)

Aug. 9, 2012: NOA2!!! [NOA1 +168 days] (reached NVC 8/17, left NVC 8/20; @embassy 8/24; embassy confirmed receipt 9/5)

Oct. 24 - Nov. 8, 2012: I visited again (Nairobi: medical 10/31; interview 11/5 [NOA1 +256 days]; result--APPROVED!!!!!!!)

Nov. 15, 2012: Visa in hand (was ready for retrieval 11/12/12)

Nov. 20, 2012: POE, Boston!!! (legal marriage 12/12/12; family/friends wedding ceremony 1/12/13) (276 days)

AOS/EAD/AP

Feb. 4, 2013: AOS packet sent (delivered 2/6, NOA1 text/email & check cashed 2/11 midnight)

Feb. 11, 2013: NOA1 notice date for I-485, EAD, AP (I-485/EAD NOA1 hard copies & biometrics appt letter arrived 2/16, badly mangled AP NOA1 arrived 2/27; biometrics done 3/4/13)

Apr. 3, 2013: EAD & AP approved (received card 4/11)

Aug. 16, 2013: I-485 approved & green card production ordered!!!! (card arrived 8/26/13) (193 days)

ROC

2015 sometime? I've slept since then.

Naturalization

Dec. 20, 2019: N-400 submitted online (Boston, MA field office)

Jan. 9, 2020: Biometrics

Feb. 4, 2020: updated wait time = 4 months (estimated case completion June 2020)

Aug. 7, 2020: interview scheduled (!), but no idea when

Sept. 16, 2020: interview, Boston (approved)

Sept. 24, 2020: oath ceremony, Boston---DONE!!! (279 days from submission)

230Hm5.pngxrcBm5.png

Timeline

Got my NOA2 today after 191 days!! So happy. Now on to NVC and then awaiting an interview in Nairobi. Anyone recently go through the interview process that can tell me how long it took between case complete at NVC until they scheduled your interview? I am getting excited/nervous about everything now that we will finally be moving forward. Any advice would be much appreciated!

Hi :star: Just letting you know how happy I am that you got your approval. Our process was different (K-1) so I honestly don't know how long the wait is for a CR-1 interview. It could be a few months so again...hang in there! You could try calling NVC and asking them ~ perhaps they would have some insight. I hope all goes smooth the rest of the way!

event.png

~K E N Y A~

Timeline

Hi all,

I haven't posted to the forum before, but I've been following everyone's conversations to get tips and tricks since last August when my fiancé and I submitted the I-129F. It was recently approved and now we've started gathering all the materials for the interview (date yet to be set).

Thanks for your help!

Congratulations on your NOA2 and welcome to this thread, averie. I confirm that your interpretation is correct. Your fiancé needs only ONE police certificate in Kenya (Certificate of Good Conduct) and this is presumably valid for the specific year in which it is obtained. The certificate may be obtained from any of the three localities where your fiancé has lived (whichever is convenient for him as his fingerprints will, in any case, be sent to CID headquarters in Nairobi for all necessary police checks and the certificate will eventually be sent back to the locality where he made the application). If he is in Nairobi, he should go directly to the CID headquarters along Kiambu road and he'll be able to get his certificate within approximately 2 weeks of his application (or earlier if he is lucky). The only advantage of applying for/obtaining a police certificate directly from Nairobi is that it will take a shorter time compared to applying for it from other localities within Kenya.

Mrsaloto,

Congratulations :dance: and all the best in the rest of your visa journey. As our process (just like Jill's) was a K1, i'm not in a position to offer any advice on CR-1 timeframe.

K1 visa journey

1/10/12 - NOA1
6/ 8 /12 - NOA2
6/20/12 - Received at NVC
6/21/12 - Assigned case number and sent to consulate
6/25/12 - Received at Nairobi Embassy
6/27/12 - Email from Nairobi Embassy (packet 3/instructions)
8/22/12 - Interview - APPROVED
8/29/12 - Received visa
10/14/12 - POE (Boston)
12/12/12 - Wedding ❤❤❤

AOS/EAD/AP

1/18/13 - Package delivered at Chicago lockbox
1/24/13 - NOA1 (email and text)for AOS/EAD/AP
1/25/13 - Received biometrics appointment letter and NOA1s letters
2/12/13 - Biometrics at 1.00pm (Lawrence, MA)
3/15/13 - EAD/AP approved, 3/21/13 mailed
3/23/13 - Received EAD/AP combo

8/27/13 - AOS approved & subsequent card production ordered (no interview)

Timeline

It sounds like you have everything under perfect control. You go, girl, lol. You'll be super fine. Stay blessed.

Oh yeah and i am happy now, i finally got approved this past Thursday, i was able to push my date a month early! Hope you and Ben are doing great!

qS2up3.png

HZf6m4.png

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.