Madwoman

Nairobi Embassy Thread!

1,841 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Kenya
Timeline

My husband was denied a CR-1 visa. I am a USC based in TX. I emailed the embassy and they said they are going to send my case back to the DHS/USCIS and i will need to contact them if i need further info on the case. I am in the process of getting an immigration lawyer and contacting my senator in TX. Has anyone gone through this before? How long did it take before the case was re-affirmed or NOIR was sent to petitioner? How long will the whole phase be assuming case is re-affirmed and he gets an interview? thank you in advance.

Timeline

My husband was denied a CR-1 visa. I am a USC based in TX. I emailed the embassy and they said they are going to send my case back to the DHS/USCIS and i will need to contact them if i need further info on the case. I am in the process of getting an immigration lawyer and contacting my senator in TX. Has anyone gone through this before? How long did it take before the case was re-affirmed or NOIR was sent to petitioner? How long will the whole phase be assuming case is re-affirmed and he gets an interview? thank you in advance.

Anyone with insight on this? The red slip my husband was given had two points checked...failed to establish bona-fide relationship. The other was something to do "...for immigration purposes" has anyone had this experience? What kind of evidence can I provide to fight this? I am currently trying to get a lawyer to see if my case can be adjudicated a second time at the nairobi embassy so I can attend and we provide more evidence. Any help will be appreciated.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Uganda
Timeline

Anyone with insight on this? The red slip my husband was given had two points checked...failed to establish bona-fide relationship. The other was something to do "...for immigration purposes" has anyone had this experience? What kind of evidence can I provide to fight this? I am currently trying to get a lawyer to see if my case can be adjudicated a second time at the nairobi embassy so I can attend and we provide more evidence. Any help will be appreciated.

I'm so sorry! This is terrible. Has your husband emailed you a copy of the red slip he was given? If not, he should do that so you can provide it to your lawyer. My lawyer provided me with a document to give to the consular officer if the visa was denied, which requested that the petition not be returned but be kept in Kenya for a second hearing. Talk with your lawyer about the possibility of having something like that sent there. I wish I had more advice to give! Best wishes sent your way!

K-1

May - Oct2008 – Meet in Uganda, meet his family, live with his family

Oct '08-'11 - correspond, work together through a common non-profit

June-July 2011 - Return to Uganda; we get engaged!!

Aug 22, 2011 – NOA1

Jan 25, 2012 – NOA2

Feb 16, 2012 – NVC Clearance

March 16-19 2012 - Medical exam

March 22, 2012- Interview, refused pending Kenya police certificate

April 5, 2012 Police Certificate issued

April 10, 2012 Police certificate and passport delivered to consulate

April 13, 2012 Email from consulate notifying of visa APPROVAL!!!!!!

April 18th, 2012 Approximate pick-up date of passport

April 20th, 2012 Actual day passport ready for pick-up; visa in hand!

April 29th, 2012 Anticipated entry to the US!!! (Boston, Logan international)

Timeline

I'm so sorry! This is terrible. Has your husband emailed you a copy of the red slip he was given? If not, he should do that so you can provide it to your lawyer. My lawyer provided me with a document to give to the consular officer if the visa was denied, which requested that the petition not be returned but be kept in Kenya for a second hearing. Talk with your lawyer about the possibility of having something like that sent there. I wish I had more advice to give! Best wishes sent your way!

Thank you for your response. I will ask the lawyer about that when I talk to him this coming week.

Timeline

Hi,

I am a naturalized US citizen based in TX. I am Kenyan and so is my husband and there is a 3 year age difference between us. My first petition was rejected as improperly filed so after talking to an immig. lawyer they said it is okay to withdraw and file when I am ready. So wrote a letter and withdrew it at that point and my husband tried to come visit in the meantime. In 2008 and 2009 he was denied a visa because he does not qualify not enough ties in his country. Then in 2010 when i was graduating I invited him for my graduation, but they denied him and told him that I should file for him since I had a green card at that time. So I filed for him in 2010 and in that file i did state that i had filed for him before and the result USCIS gave me as rejected.

I met my husband in 2000, while still in kenya, started dating in 2002, I came to the US in 2006 through green card lottery (he proposed before I left). Got married in 2007. I have visited him 4 times out of the 5 years we have been away from each other. All the times I went was about 2 weeks or maximum 3 weeks which was my vacation time from work. His interview went smoothly until the woman asked him do you have a son? He said no. She asked him about his previous interviews and he said nothing about a son came up at his last interview and that he does not have a son (no recollection of such conversations with any officer). Then she said we can't continue with this interview till you tell me about your son and he said i do not have a son. Then she crossed her hands and said you probably have another wife somewhere and we don't know...well then I will deny your visa and send it back to the USCIS and it will take another year. Gave him a red slip 221g failed to establish bona-fide relationship and married for immigration purposes (the two parts were checked). They also checked the part that said case is being returned to US. Both my husband and I have not been married before and we have an oath from Kenya (where we got married to show that). My husband is also working on getting a form from the law courts to show that he has no child or any dependants.

When I filed here i put all the basic requirements but it seems like i will have to send them more evidence, pictures and call logs. I am trying to get my senator and congressman to see if they can help and also an immigration lawyer to see if he can help stop the case from being returned. I have read here that Marc Ellis is a good one for such cases.

Let me know your insight. Thanks.

Edited by jabulani

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Kenya
Timeline

So sorry to hear about your situation. They can be very tough! The CO studies his case and picks questions intentionally that may trip him up. Obviously they have written in his file that he stated he had a son at a previous interview. That seems really really strange that they would have recorded that while he says he never said it. All I know is that many applicants for tourist visas in Kenya will claim that they have children or spouses even if they don't, so that they can better 'prove' ties to Kenya so they are not denied. I hate to admit it but my husband actually contemplated it when he tried to come to the US for a conference. Using better judgement, he was honest and was the only member of his committee denied for the conference. But now we are thankful and sure it was the right decision. It's got to be one of two things, either your husband mentioned something about a child, or there was a huge huge misunderstanding at one of his interviews. If the latter is the case, it is going to be tough to overcome this denial and prove that he never said that, because 1: the CO is always protected and 2: 'lying' during an interview can result in a permanent ban from the US. I think you have the best idea in mind; consult with an immigration attorney for advice and assistance. Definitely try to get a government official or someone with some authority on board, someone with a good deal of clout, and ask if they can get more specific details on his denial. I have a feeling that an email from you to the Embassy will only result in a generic response informing you that "Section XXX of the US Government immigration law yada yada states that blah blah blah." Some auto answer garbage! Use every resource you can think of and try your best to stay positive. Good luck with everything. I'll be praying for you both!!

Timeline

So sorry to hear about your situation. They can be very tough! The CO studies his case and picks questions intentionally that may trip him up. Obviously they have written in his file that he stated he had a son at a previous interview. That seems really really strange that they would have recorded that while he says he never said it. All I know is that many applicants for tourist visas in Kenya will claim that they have children or spouses even if they don't, so that they can better 'prove' ties to Kenya so they are not denied. I hate to admit it but my husband actually contemplated it when he tried to come to the US for a conference. Using better judgement, he was honest and was the only member of his committee denied for the conference. But now we are thankful and sure it was the right decision. It's got to be one of two things, either your husband mentioned something about a child, or there was a huge huge misunderstanding at one of his interviews. If the latter is the case, it is going to be tough to overcome this denial and prove that he never said that, because 1: the CO is always protected and 2: 'lying' during an interview can result in a permanent ban from the US. I think you have the best idea in mind; consult with an immigration attorney for advice and assistance. Definitely try to get a government official or someone with some authority on board, someone with a good deal of clout, and ask if they can get more specific details on his denial. I have a feeling that an email from you to the Embassy will only result in a generic response informing you that "Section XXX of the US Government immigration law yada yada states that blah blah blah." Some auto answer garbage! Use every resource you can think of and try your best to stay positive. Good luck with everything. I'll be praying for you both!!

Thanks for your response!!!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Uganda
Timeline

Approved!!!!!

We got the visa on Friday!

Yay!!!!!

Congratulations!!! It's so encouraging to hear about positive outcomes from Nairobi. You both must be so excited: hooray! :dance:

Joy (& Aaron, who doesn't read/post here yet)

Dec. 27, 2010: First met each other in Entebbe, Uganda while I was visiting my friend/his cousin (12/27/10 - 1/10/11) (visited again Jul. 2-9, 2011 and Dec. 24, 2011 - Jan. 9, 2012; engaged 1/7/12)

K-1

Feb. 18, 2012: I-129F sent (delivered 2/21 per USPS & USCIS; NOA1 notice date 2/23/12; check cashed/email/text 2/24)

Aug. 9, 2012: NOA2!!! [NOA1 +168 days] (reached NVC 8/17, left NVC 8/20; @embassy 8/24; embassy confirmed receipt 9/5)

Oct. 24 - Nov. 8, 2012: I visited again (Nairobi: medical 10/31; interview 11/5 [NOA1 +256 days]; result--APPROVED!!!!!!!)

Nov. 15, 2012: Visa in hand (was ready for retrieval 11/12/12)

Nov. 20, 2012: POE, Boston!!! (legal marriage 12/12/12; family/friends wedding ceremony 1/12/13) (276 days)

AOS/EAD/AP

Feb. 4, 2013: AOS packet sent (delivered 2/6, NOA1 text/email & check cashed 2/11 midnight)

Feb. 11, 2013: NOA1 notice date for I-485, EAD, AP (I-485/EAD NOA1 hard copies & biometrics appt letter arrived 2/16, badly mangled AP NOA1 arrived 2/27; biometrics done 3/4/13)

Apr. 3, 2013: EAD & AP approved (received card 4/11)

Aug. 16, 2013: I-485 approved & green card production ordered!!!! (card arrived 8/26/13) (193 days)

ROC

2015 sometime? I've slept since then.

Naturalization

Dec. 20, 2019: N-400 submitted online (Boston, MA field office)

Jan. 9, 2020: Biometrics

Feb. 4, 2020: updated wait time = 4 months (estimated case completion June 2020)

Aug. 7, 2020: interview scheduled (!), but no idea when

Sept. 16, 2020: interview, Boston (approved)

Sept. 24, 2020: oath ceremony, Boston---DONE!!! (279 days from submission)

230Hm5.pngxrcBm5.png

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Uganda
Timeline

Approved!!!!!

Yay!!!!!

Thanks everyone so much for your help!

Beaulahluo I lived in Mukono for a while! Love it there! Glad to hear you guys got yours!!!!

Hooray! I'm SO happy for you :) That's cool you lived in Mukono - what a small world :) And I agree it is encouraging to read about approvals in Nairobi! Best of luck to all those yet to interview there and those still navigating the consulate.

K-1

May - Oct2008 – Meet in Uganda, meet his family, live with his family

Oct '08-'11 - correspond, work together through a common non-profit

June-July 2011 - Return to Uganda; we get engaged!!

Aug 22, 2011 – NOA1

Jan 25, 2012 – NOA2

Feb 16, 2012 – NVC Clearance

March 16-19 2012 - Medical exam

March 22, 2012- Interview, refused pending Kenya police certificate

April 5, 2012 Police Certificate issued

April 10, 2012 Police certificate and passport delivered to consulate

April 13, 2012 Email from consulate notifying of visa APPROVAL!!!!!!

April 18th, 2012 Approximate pick-up date of passport

April 20th, 2012 Actual day passport ready for pick-up; visa in hand!

April 29th, 2012 Anticipated entry to the US!!! (Boston, Logan international)

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Kenya
Timeline

Approved!!!!!

Yay!!!!!

Beaulahluo I lived in Mukono for a while! Love it there! Glad to hear you guys got yours!!!!

Congrats KelseyGrace. :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance:

Timeline

That's a really good idea...see if you can manage to get the Embassy to keep the file there for a second interview. I know it takes them a little while to send them back, so email them ASAP and see if it's a possibility to keep it there. Let us know how it goes. I will pray that they let it stay at the Embassy...that will save you soooo much time and grief. Lots and lots of luck to you. Keep us posted.

Approved!!!!!

Yay!!!!!

Congratulations! That's great news! Always wonderful to hear of approvals out of Nairobi. :dance::star::D

Men are like stars ~ there are a million of them, but only ONE can make your dreams come true. I found my STAR...

event.png

~K E N Y A~

Timeline

Got white paper with dhl details to collect passport after two days so I guess that means we were approved?!!

It was one tough interview with lots of questions

Yes, it sounds like you were approved! Congratulations...so happy for you! :star::star: When you have some time, please post your experience here on the thread with what questions were asked, and who you were interviewed by (male or female Consular Officer---was it the infamous blonde woman? [LOL]). It would be most helpful for others going through Nairobi. Congrats again and stay blessed.

Men are like stars ~ there are a million of them, but only ONE can make your dreams come true. I found my STAR...

event.png

~K E N Y A~

Timeline

Jill

I will do so soon. It was the blonde lady.....now to begin winding up my life in Kenya! Thanking God for his favor and grace.

Jill

I will do so soon. It was the blonde lady.....now to begin winding up my life in Kenya! Thanking God for his favor and grace.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.