rrafaty

I'm nervous

28 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Brazil
Timeline

Hello

Long story but to get to the point...Here we go...

I have an aunt that has a vendetta to ruin my life. She has left a message for me stating so. She knows I am in the process of obtaining K1 visa for my fiance in Brazil. She is starting to say that she is going to do do everything she can to ensure my fiance does not obtain her visa. I am just really starting to get nervous. We've received our NOA2 and we are currently waiting for our interview date. Does anyone know if she really can do something? Everything is legit and all we want is to be together but this person has serious mental issues and is trying cause me and my fiance alot of grief and heartache. I have an immigration lawyer and he has said this sort of thing happens often but is usually an ex-wife or girlfriend. Am I just worrying too much or do I really have a reason to worry. Has anyone experienced or heard of a similar issue? Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks

RR

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline

I haven't heard of anything similar to that case, but what did your lawyer had to say? And I can't seem to think how she could ruin anything. Maybe someone else can be of better help to you.

Good luck in your journey!

(Puerto Rico) Luis & Laura (Brazil) K1 JOURNEY
04/11/2006 - Filed I-129F.
09/29/2006 - Visa in hand!

10/15/2006 - POE San Juan
11/15/2006 - MARRIAGE

AOS JOURNEY
01/05/2007 - AOS sent to Chicago.
03/26/2007 - Green Card in hand!

REMOVAL OF CONDITIONS JOURNEY
01/26/2009 - Filed I-751.
06/22/2009 - Green Card in hand!

NATURALIZATION JOURNEY
06/26/2014 - N-400 sent to Nebraska
07/02/2014 - NOA
07/24/2014 - Biometrics
10/24/2014 - Interview (approved)

01/16/2015 - Oath Ceremony

*View Complete Timeline

Filed: Timeline

I know how you feel. My own mother has told me that she thinks I need help mentally and that I am bringing a terrorist into the US. :blink: My ex-husband has also tried to make it difficult for me. My mother told me that she will do everything in her power to stop me from taking my daughter to just visit my fiance. She said that if I try to take my daughter out of the country, "It's going to get nasty.".

I haven't found anything that either my ex-husband or my mother can legally do to stop me from taking my daughter out of the country or from marrying someone from another country. My attorney has said that there isn't anything they can do.

I know it's not fun to deal with family in the first place; but especially when they intentionally try to make life harder for you. I just moved this weekend to get further away from my family. It's me and my daughter and by the end of this year, my fiance will be with us.

They are missing out on a lot. Soon they will see that all of their worries were for nothing. :no:

I feel for you and your situation. It isn't easy to deal with. Try to keep your distance from her as much as you can. The less information she has, the better. ;)

I haven't found anything that either my ex-husband or my mother can legally do to stop me from taking my daughter out of the country or from marrying someone from another country...

I'm no expert on the matter (read: not a lawyer), but I have witnessed nasty divorce and custody battles that have centered around somewhat similar issues. Your ex might not be able to prevent a visit to Morocco for your daughter, but if you and your husband-to-be were ever to decide to return to Morocco together with your daughter, he might indeed be able to stop you from taking his daughter to Morocco. It depends on a lot of factors.

As well, although I'm sure your fiance is a lovely man, if your ex ever felt that he was a danger to your daughter, he could indeed petition for sole custody. I'm not saying that these things would or should happen. But an ex who is a parent of a child has entirely different rights from exes who did not parent children.

I think your lawyer is barking up the wrong tree, and if your ex has shown himself to be the jealous type, you should find and retain a more competent family lawyer. Just my 2 cents.

Abby (U.S.) and Ewen (Scotland): We laughed. We cried. Our witness didn't speak English. Happily married (finally), 27 December 2006.

Latest news: Green card received 16 April 2007. USCIS-free until 3 January 2009! Eligible to naturalize 3 April 2010.

Click on the "timeline" link at the left to view our timeline. And don't forget to update yours!

The London Interviews Thread: Wait times, interview dates, and chitchat for all visa types

The London Waivers Thread: For I-601 or I-212 applicants in London (UK, Ireland, and Scandinavia)

The London Graduates Thread: Moving stateside, AOS, and OT for London applicants and petitioners

all the mud in this town, all the dirt in this world

none of it sticks on you, you shake it off

'cause you're better than that, and you don't need it

there's nothing wrong with you

--Neil Finn

On second thought, let us not go to Camelot. 'Tis a silly place.

--Monty Python and the Holy Grail

Filed: Country: Canada
Timeline

I haven't found anything that either my ex-husband or my mother can legally do to stop me from taking my daughter out of the country or from marrying someone from another country...

I'm no expert on the matter (read: not a lawyer), but I have witnessed nasty divorce and custody battles that have centered around somewhat similar issues. Your ex might not be able to prevent a visit to Morocco for your daughter, but if you and your husband-to-be were ever to decide to return to Morocco together with your daughter, he might indeed be able to stop you from taking his daughter to Morocco. It depends on a lot of factors.

As well, although I'm sure your fiance is a lovely man, if your ex ever felt that he was a danger to your daughter, he could indeed petition for sole custody. I'm not saying that these things would or should happen. But an ex who is a parent of a child has entirely different rights from exes who did not parent children.

I think your lawyer is barking up the wrong tree, and if your ex has shown himself to be the jealous type, you should find and retain a more competent family lawyer. Just my 2 cents.

My ex has threatened something similar if I try to take Anna out of the country to live. Right now we have joint custody(yech) but he's not a proactive dad...just uses his claim to her as his leverage to make life miserable for me. But...your ex CANNOT keep you from taking her to visit. You will need a letter stating that he is aware of the plans, he'll need a copy of the flight itinerary (at least I had to have all this when I traveled). Getting the letter from the ex is the hard part....I had to fight tooth and nail to get that piece of paper. My fiancé is a much better father than her own dad has ever been.

Before we could return to Canada to live, Anna will have to be at least 18 OR petition the court on her own, when she's of legal age to make the decision on her own, for the right to leave the US to live in Canada. This is just what I've learned from asking questions and seeking legal counsel. But I would seek the counsel of a lawyer well versed in family and custody laws.

Good luck dear :)

Teaching is the essential profession...the one that makes ALL other professions possible - David Haselkorn

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline

Yes, they could cause a problem for you. It is called TPC (third party correspondence). It could be a email, letter, or phone call to the consulate where the interview will take place. You won't know about it, but if the consulate wishes to investigate, then you will get a 221g while your petition is under review (AR). It is sad but true that this does happen, although probably not as often as rumor would have it. I know of 2 cases right now, 1 took 9 months to overcome, the other is still in AR back in the states now, waiting 1+year.

Edited by wodengdaini

August-December 2004---------Together my baby.

June 2005-----------Together again.

November 2005-----Together again.

March 2006---------Together again.

July 2006------------Together again.

October-November 2006-------Together again.

April 28, 2006--------NOA1.

May 2006-------------IMBRA.

May 27, 2006--------Touched.

June 1, 2006---------Touched.

June 2, 2006---------Touched.

June 3, 2006---------Touched.

June 14, 2006-------Touched.

June 15, 2006-------Touched.

June 16, 2006-------Touched.

June 17, 2006-------Touched.

July 3, 2006---------Touched.

July 4, 2006---------Touched.

July 5, 2006---------Touched.

July 18, 2006--------Touched.

July 22, 2006--------Received IMBRA RFE.

July 24, 2006--------RFE returned Next Day Air to CSC.

July 25, 2006--------CSC receives RFE.

August 1, 2006------Touched 3 times.

August 1, 2006------Preliminary processing completed email.

August 2, 2006------Touched.

August 3, 2006------Touched.

August 7, 2006------Touched.

September 7, 2006---Touched.

September 7, 2006---Approved.

September 8, 2006---Touched.

September 11, 2006--Receive NOA2.

October 12, 2006-----Left NVC.

If your child doesn't already have a passport, your ex can prevent your bringing her to Morocco by refusing to sign the application for a passport. She can't travel without a valid passport.

If she already has a passport, then you're right that there's nothing he can do to stop you. He can however, charge you with child abduction if you fail to return her for his visitation. Even though it's not required if you're just going for a visit, it really is better for you to have his permission. You could show him your return tickets, have him call your workplace and inquire when they are expecting you to return, anything to ease his mind that you're not kidnapping his daughter to a country which has no reciprocal child abduction agreement with the US.

Filed: Country: Canada
Timeline
If your child doesn't already have a passport, your ex can prevent your bringing her to Morocco by refusing to sign the application for a passport. She can't travel without a valid passport.

If she already has a passport, then you're right that there's nothing he can do to stop you. He can however, charge you with child abduction if you fail to return her for his visitation. Even though it's not required if you're just going for a visit, it really is better for you to have his permission. You could show him your return tickets, have him call your workplace and inquire when they are expecting you to return, anything to ease his mind that you're not kidnapping his daughter to a country which has no reciprocal child abduction agreement with the US.

Ayup....it took me nearly a year to get permission from my ex to obtain a passport for Anna...what an a$$!

Teaching is the essential profession...the one that makes ALL other professions possible - David Haselkorn

Timeline

Wow! I didn't know those. A third party can just come in and say "don't let them be together?" this is awful! Is there a way to protect yourself from it? Stay ahead and warn that your mother/ex/whomever wants to prevent you from getting married?

11/15/2006 - MARRIAGE

AOS JOURNEY

NATURALIZATION JOURNEY
07/02/2014 - NOA
07/24/2014 - Biometrics

*View Complete Timeline

Wow! I didn't know those. A third party can just come in and say "don't let them be together?" this is awful!

I sincerely doubt it's quite that simple. A third party would have to present probable cause that fraud, abuse, or the like was going on, and an investigation would have to result.

Abby (U.S.) and Ewen (Scotland): We laughed. We cried. Our witness didn't speak English. Happily married (finally), 27 December 2006.

Latest news: Green card received 16 April 2007. USCIS-free until 3 January 2009! Eligible to naturalize 3 April 2010.

Click on the "timeline" link at the left to view our timeline. And don't forget to update yours!

The London Interviews Thread: Wait times, interview dates, and chitchat for all visa types

The London Waivers Thread: For I-601 or I-212 applicants in London (UK, Ireland, and Scandinavia)

The London Graduates Thread: Moving stateside, AOS, and OT for London applicants and petitioners

all the mud in this town, all the dirt in this world

none of it sticks on you, you shake it off

'cause you're better than that, and you don't need it

there's nothing wrong with you

--Neil Finn

On second thought, let us not go to Camelot. 'Tis a silly place.

--Monty Python and the Holy Grail

Timeline

I know I know, I am thinking brazilian law wise right now, that yes, a third party can inform of some illegality. And I see how that would be done and how it would have to be researched and all. But I am thinking that without any legal basis it wouldn't affect their process.

11/15/2006 - MARRIAGE

AOS JOURNEY

NATURALIZATION JOURNEY
07/02/2014 - NOA
07/24/2014 - Biometrics

*View Complete Timeline

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

My family here in the UK are not very happy that I am selling my home and moving all the way to America just to be with my man. Especially my brother - he doesnt like the idea of me marrying an american man, plus he is white, and doesnt have his own house yet - he feels he wont be able to support me - but all our paperwork shows he can - he just had hard times in the past that hasnt allowed him to buy property (been renting most his life). I hope my brother or any other family member wouldnt do anything from stopping me going - I think the only thing my brother would do is disown me:( which I am very very upset by. He did that to another sister who moved to California to marry an american - although they are now divorced - he thinks that all american men are like my other sisters ex. I personally dont tell him exactly in detail what stage we are at so if he wanted to contact London embassy and say I should be denied he cant, he doesnt know my beloved's full name or any details. Best to keep your distance from family that are trying to ruin your life - I have finally come to that decision myself:) Good luck

Lina (UKC)

PLEASE REMEMBER TO UPDATE YOUR TIMELINE AS THE STATISTICS ON THIS FORUM ARE CALCULATED VIA THE TIMELINES. PLEASE GO TO: http://www.visajourney.com/timeline/

WAITING FOR AN INTERVIEW DATE AT LONDON? COME JOIN US HERE: <a

London Interview list

http://www.frappr.com/visaapplicantsvianebraska/map]http://www.frappr.com/visaapplicantsvianebraska/map</a>

Frapper map of the world for those who applied for marriage based visa through Nebraska, It's a good way to actually see where people are, if anyone is near you, send messages to discuss, vent, or share even meet up!!!

27 Feb. 2006: K1 petition sent to Nebraska Service Centre

2 March 2006: NOA1 dated (received in mail on 9 March 2006)

4 May 2006: NOA2!!!!! (DAY 66)

8 May 2006: File Sent to NVC (as stated on email dated 9 May)

24 May 2006: NVC sends our file to London Embassy

8 June 2006: Packet 3 arrives (DAY 101)

25 August 2006: Pack 3 sent to London Embassy registered post

29 August 2006: London Embassy receives my Pack 3 - 9/9/06 pack 4 arrives

SEPT 2006:APPLICATION PUT ON HOLD - WE HAD A FALLING OUT.

MAY 2007:RESUMED THE VISA APPLICATION

6 June 2007: Medical @ 2.30pm - need to get anew GP letter and psychiatric evaluation

7 June 2007: INTERVIEW @ 10am - waiting for new police record letter

3 July 2007: APPROVED/Visa arrives

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Someone threatened me with this too. Said she was calling and saying I was a terrorist..... anyway either she did not call or they put her call in the crazy pile. I would not be overly concerned.

*January 24 2006 - mailed in I129-F petition

*January 25 2006 - I129-F received at CSC

*January 30 2006 - packet returned.....arggggggggg we forgot one signature!!

*January 31 2006 - sent I129-F back to the CSC, hope we did not forget anything else

*February 1 2006 - I129-F received at CSC again

*February 3 2006 - NOA1

*April 20 2006 - NOA2!!!!!

*April 24 2006 - Touched!

*May 15 2006 - NVC received petition today!

*May 17 2006 - Case left NVC today!!

*May 30 2006 - Received Packet 3 from Vancouver!

*May 30 2006 - Faxed back Packet 3!!

*June 6 2006 - Received packet 4!

*June 20 2006 - Medical in Saskatoon

*June 28 2006 - Interview in Vancouver!!

*June 28 2006 - GOT THE VISA!!!*June 30 2006 - Moving day!

*July 3 2006 - Home at last!!

*July 28 2006 - married!

*September 13 2006 - Mailed AOS/EAD package

*September 25 2006 - Received NOA for AOS/EAD

*October 6 2006 - Biometrics appointments

*October 10 2006 - Touched!

*October 19 2006 - Transferred to CSC!

*October 26 2006 - Received by CSC

*October 27 2006 - Touched

*October 28 2006 - Touched again

*October 31 2006 - Touched again

*November 2 2006 - Touched again

*November 3 2006- and another touch

*November 7 2006- touched

*November 7 2006 - My case approved, still waiting for kids!

*November 8 2006 - Touched my case again

*November 13 2006 - Greencard arrived...yeah I can work!

*November 14 2006 - Touched my case again

*January 2007 - RFE for kids Greencard.

*February 2007 - kids medical and sent in RFE

*February 2007 - Received kids greencards

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline
I know I know, I am thinking brazilian law wise right now, that yes, a third party can inform of some illegality. And I see how that would be done and how it would have to be researched and all. But I am thinking that without any legal basis it wouldn't affect their process.

It does not have to have legal basis, or even be true. It is the effect it can/does cause due to the review of the information needed (possible AR) to prove it not true.

August-December 2004---------Together my baby.

June 2005-----------Together again.

November 2005-----Together again.

March 2006---------Together again.

July 2006------------Together again.

October-November 2006-------Together again.

April 28, 2006--------NOA1.

May 2006-------------IMBRA.

May 27, 2006--------Touched.

June 1, 2006---------Touched.

June 2, 2006---------Touched.

June 3, 2006---------Touched.

June 14, 2006-------Touched.

June 15, 2006-------Touched.

June 16, 2006-------Touched.

June 17, 2006-------Touched.

July 3, 2006---------Touched.

July 4, 2006---------Touched.

July 5, 2006---------Touched.

July 18, 2006--------Touched.

July 22, 2006--------Received IMBRA RFE.

July 24, 2006--------RFE returned Next Day Air to CSC.

July 25, 2006--------CSC receives RFE.

August 1, 2006------Touched 3 times.

August 1, 2006------Preliminary processing completed email.

August 2, 2006------Touched.

August 3, 2006------Touched.

August 7, 2006------Touched.

September 7, 2006---Touched.

September 7, 2006---Approved.

September 8, 2006---Touched.

September 11, 2006--Receive NOA2.

October 12, 2006-----Left NVC.

Timeline

bleh they can do that?

* K1 Timeline *
* 04/07/06: I-129F Sent to NSC
* 10/02/06: Interview date - APPROVED!
* 10/10/06: POE Houston
* 11/25/06: Wedding day!!!

* AOS/EAD/AP Timeline *
*01/05/07: AOS/EAD/AP sent
*02/19/08: AOS approved
*02/27/08: Permanent Resident Card received

* LOC Timeline *
*12/31/09: Applied Lifting of Condition
*01/04/10: NOA
*02/12/10: Biometrics
*03/03/10: LOC approved
*03/11/10: 10 years green card received

* Naturalization Timeline *
*12/17/10: package sent
*12/29/10: NOA date
*01/19/11: biometrics
*04/12/11: interview
*04/15/11: approval letter
*05/13/11: Oath Ceremony - Officially done with Immigration.

Complete Timeline

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.