Michael&Guli

pre-interview: does embassy do any checks?

5 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Mongolia
Timeline

hi everyone,

we just got our nao2 yesterday... wondering about scenarios for scheduling the interview.

obviously too early to get any info from the embassy in mongolia, but scouting on their site i looked at interview procedures and found a calendar of available interview dates for non-imigrant visas. looks like they're available starting next week!

now, if that's accurate - do the embassies have to do any work on the visas prior to the interview (such as background checks, or verification of info on the app, etc) that would require processing time on their part - or do they look at it for the first time when she comes to the interview, armed with all the additional documentation she needs to bring (including the medical)?

just curious what other's experiences have been - wondering if we have all of our paperwork ready to go (and we nearly do) - would you guess it may be possible to schedule an interview date fairly soon after they receive the application?

many thanks!

• 2 weeks later...
Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Mongolia
Timeline
hi everyone,

we just got our nao2 yesterday... wondering about scenarios for scheduling the interview.

obviously too early to get any info from the embassy in mongolia, but scouting on their site i looked at interview procedures and found a calendar of available interview dates for non-imigrant visas. looks like they're available starting next week!

now, if that's accurate - do the embassies have to do any work on the visas prior to the interview (such as background checks, or verification of info on the app, etc) that would require processing time on their part - or do they look at it for the first time when she comes to the interview, armed with all the additional documentation she needs to bring (including the medical)?

just curious what other's experiences have been - wondering if we have all of our paperwork ready to go (and we nearly do) - would you guess it may be possible to schedule an interview date fairly soon after they receive the application?

many thanks!

The embassy in Ulaanbaatar was very easy to work with. I could call them anytime and they were helpful with answering any questions. If you have your noa2 then I am assuming your fiance has visited SOS medica for her medical, has all the proper papers and evidence ready to go? Once your case has left NVC the consulate should receive it shortly. I was able to make arrangements with the embassy there so that they would give my wife a call when her case arrived. It was then that I was able to schedule an appointment with them over the phone for an interview a couple of days later. Remember to get the visa fees paid at the bank and if she didn't get a police certificate get that also. Hope that helps!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Mongolia
Timeline
The embassy in Ulaanbaatar was very easy to work with. I could call them anytime and they were helpful with answering any questions. If you have your noa2 then I am assuming your fiance has visited SOS medica for her medical, has all the proper papers and evidence ready to go? Once your case has left NVC the consulate should receive it shortly. I was able to make arrangements with the embassy there so that they would give my wife a call when her case arrived. It was then that I was able to schedule an appointment with them over the phone for an interview a couple of days later. Remember to get the visa fees paid at the bank and if she didn't get a police certificate get that also. Hope that helps!

thanks jasan!

yeah, we have all the papers and police certs ready to go, but were waiting to get the appointment date to schedule the medical exam. she lives in ulgii if you're familiar - far-west, so she'll first have to fly into ub, early in order to make the medical.

was funny, i kept calling nvc to get the case number - when i finally did it started 'seo...' and i got worried - when i was in ub in sept. we stopped into the embassy and they said they had just started processing the k1 visas - we were so happy because it was going to be so much easier there, than having to go to seoul (where they used to do them) - so when we got 'seo..' i called the ub embassy and the guy that answered said 'sure, they're not in yet in the consular area so i'll just transfer you to her cell phone' and i was like - wow! that's aweseme! she said that seoul should ship our app to them in ub... then they'll email/call my fiancee. i asked if we could schedule the interview and she said no - they would assign her a date. maybe it's different for the k1... so that was last thurs here in CA that i called over there... i think seoul got the app monday, so i'm hoping ub should get it any day?

i'm planning on being there for the interview, just so nothing goes crazy... so waiting now for the appointment date so i can begin to book flights.

how long did it take you to get the visa, once the approval happened? for us, we'll go back to the embassy to pick it up.

also, did you do any vaccinations at the medco place? i'm wondering if we should just have that done there (for k1 visa she won't need it to enter us, but will need them for applying for the aos).

and thanks so much jasan - so nice to have someone who's been through the embassy there!

and where is your fiancee from? there in ub? an amazing place mongolia, i really loved it in the bayan-ulgii area - the altais are really wonderful.

MANY thanks!

michael

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Mongolia
Timeline

My wife had her interview on the 04/25/08 and we picked up the visa on 04/29/08.

She was getting a K3 since we already had been married in UB. She didn't have any vaccinations due to the fact that she was pregnant at the time but you can have them done there if you would like.

You are right, Mongolia is amazing. By the way she if from UB.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.