to_hope

So THAT'S why coke tastes different in the USA

130 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

I can't handle all the caffeine in the pop here either. Not only do they have caffeine in most of the pop i thinks theres a higher amount of caffeine then we are used too. I had a really bad reaction one night after a few too many drinking A&W cream soda I never even thought they would have caffeine in it since they dont put it in the root beer. I though I was going to die my heart just kepted racing I could'nt catch my breath. Very scary now I'm like you I check the lables very carefully for artificial sweetners and now caffeine. I'm allergic to artificial sweetners so I'm used to looking for that now its just another thing to avoid. Good thing i'm not that big on pop.

As for VEGETABLE OIL into pop. EWWWWW

Edited by Ontarkie
Spoiler

Met Playing Everquest in 2005
Engaged 9-15-2006
K-1 & 4 K-2'S
Filed 05-09-07
Interview 03-12-08
Visa received 04-21-08
Entry 05-06-08
Married 06-21-08
AOS X5
Filed 07-08-08
Cards Received01-22-09
Roc X5
Filed 10-17-10
Cards Received02-22-11
Citizenship
Filed 10-17-11
Interview 01-12-12
Oath 06-29-12

Citizenship for older 2 boys

Filed 03/08/2014

NOA/fee waiver 03/19/2014

Biometrics 04/15/14

Interview 05/29/14

In line for Oath 06/20/14

Oath 09/19/2014 We are all done! All USC no more USCIS

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline
I can't handle all the caffeine in the pop here either. Not only do they have caffeine in most of the pop i thinks theres a higher amount of caffeine then we are used too. I had a really bad reaction one night after a few too many drinking A&W cream soda I never even thought they would have caffeine in it since they dont put it in the root beer. I though I was going to die my heart just kepted racing I could'nt catch my breath. Very scary now I'm like you I check the lables very carefully for artificial sweetners and now caffeine. I'm allergic to artificial sweetners so I'm used to looking for that now its just another thing to avoid. Good thing i'm not that big on pop.

As for VEGETABLE OIL into pop. EWWWWW

Oh wow... Cream soda, too? I mean, I know I've had the arguments with my fiancé over what colour cream soda is (it's red, okay? Unless it's a fancy brand or American!), but it never occurred to me that cream soda could be a no go down there! Orange was enough of a shocker. I hadn't encountered cream soda yet (apparently it's not a common flavour where I was buying pop before, and I've mostly bought juice when visiting since then).

March 13, 2009--Visa application handed to the post office.

March 16, 2009--Visa application received by Vermont Service Centre at 11:01 am. Let's hope that he actually put in everything he thought he did and they don't send it back to us!!

March 23, 2009--Got the whole package back. The cheque was apparently filled out incorrectly, thanks to the fact that his moronic flatmates helped him and instructed him wrong for the first cheque he ever filled out.

March 30, 2009--NOA1

August 12, 2009--Touched

September 1, 2009, received Package 1 from Montreal--but where is our NOA2???

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Whats really funny they have kinda carmel colour of cream soda down here. The red one we are used to is just a strawberry pop at least thats what i've been finding they tast different too.

Spoiler

Met Playing Everquest in 2005
Engaged 9-15-2006
K-1 & 4 K-2'S
Filed 05-09-07
Interview 03-12-08
Visa received 04-21-08
Entry 05-06-08
Married 06-21-08
AOS X5
Filed 07-08-08
Cards Received01-22-09
Roc X5
Filed 10-17-10
Cards Received02-22-11
Citizenship
Filed 10-17-11
Interview 01-12-12
Oath 06-29-12

Citizenship for older 2 boys

Filed 03/08/2014

NOA/fee waiver 03/19/2014

Biometrics 04/15/14

Interview 05/29/14

In line for Oath 06/20/14

Oath 09/19/2014 We are all done! All USC no more USCIS

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline
Whats really funny they have kinda carmel colour of cream soda down here. The red one we are used to is just a strawberry pop at least thats what i've been finding they tast different too.

There's a couple "glass bottle" brands that I've seen that have the caramel coloured cream soda in Canada. Stewarts I think has one and Dads. I'm thinking that Jones might, but I'm not positive on that one.

March 13, 2009--Visa application handed to the post office.

March 16, 2009--Visa application received by Vermont Service Centre at 11:01 am. Let's hope that he actually put in everything he thought he did and they don't send it back to us!!

March 23, 2009--Got the whole package back. The cheque was apparently filled out incorrectly, thanks to the fact that his moronic flatmates helped him and instructed him wrong for the first cheque he ever filled out.

March 30, 2009--NOA1

August 12, 2009--Touched

September 1, 2009, received Package 1 from Montreal--but where is our NOA2???

You can get coca cola with sugar cane sugare instead of high fructose here in los angeles, and most southern states. You just have to find it at a Mexican Market.

Yes, or at Costco! We just bought bottled coke from Mexico there and it tastes like it does at home. I am not a big pop drinker, but my husband is from a Mexican family and has the same issues with the pop in the US.

BTW I am very close friends with another couple called Rob and Mei in Canada:)

Concurrent I-130 and AOS

Nov 30 2007 - I enter US as a tourist to spend the ski season with my sweetie and figure out what we both want outta life - we plan on ending up in Canada, but...

Jan 30 2008 - We get married in Vegas! We decide to stay in the US.

Feb 08 2008 - File I-130, I-485, AP and EAD

Feb 11 2008 - Package arrives in Chicago

Feb 19 2008 - Receive NOA 1 for everything except I-485. NOA date Feb 15th

Feb 19 2008 - Touch I-130, AP, EAD

Feb 21 2008 - Receive I-485 NOA 1. NOA Date Feb 15th

Feb 22 2008 - Receive Biometrics notice, dated Feb 20th, for appointment March 11th

Feb 27 2008 - Walk in to Denver field office and have Biometrics taken early as the 11th March I'll be away

Apr 16 2008 - EAD card production ordered

Apr 16 2008 - AP approval sent

Apr 21 2008 - AP received in mail

Apr 21 2008 - EAD card production email received again - strange

Apr 24 2008 - EAD card approval notice sent email

Apr 26 2008 - EAD card received

May 03 2008 - Interview notice received -June 27th

May 22 2008 - Touch on I-485

June 09 2008 - I-130 finally shows up online and shows a touch that day, so does I-485

Jun 27 2008 - Interview - approved, stamped, received card production email. Ya-hoo!!!!

July 10 2008 - Card received

Total time from filing - approval: 4.5 months

MOVED TO SAN DIEGO!!

Lifting of Conditions

June 11 2010 - Package mailed

June 16 2010 - NOA date

July 2 2010 - Bio letter received - July 27th date

July 9 2010 - Early biometrics walk in San Marcos CA

Sept 16 2010 - Card production ordered

Filed: Country: Canada
Timeline

After reading Fast Food Nation about 3 christmases or so ago, maybe 4, Ive stopped drinking pop altogether unless its mixed with some form of Gold Rum (Coke) or vodka (seven up). However, Buddy drinks lots of pop, and theres always sales of 12 packs for about 2.50 a case or less here :s so I'll make an exception. Anything but Coke on its own.

All this as I drink a red bull which is probably WAY worse! heh!

chris4.jpg

"May our love last another day.....and then some"

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline
After reading Fast Food Nation about 3 christmases or so ago, maybe 4, Ive stopped drinking pop altogether unless its mixed with some form of Gold Rum (Coke) or vodka (seven up). However, Buddy drinks lots of pop, and theres always sales of 12 packs for about 2.50 a case or less here :s so I'll make an exception. Anything but Coke on its own.

I don't know if that's good or bad....watching fast food nation turned you to alcohol to wash coke down and you also took up red bull :lol:

Timeline

I don't know if that's good or bad....watching fast food nation turned you to alcohol to wash coke down and you also took up red bull :lol:

LOL!

No no, I didn't replace the pop with alcohol :P That was my only exception to drinking pop! And Rockstar > Red Bull ;)

chris4.jpg

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

LOL!

No no, I didn't replace the pop with alcohol :P That was my only exception to drinking pop! And Rockstar > Red Bull ;)

Rockstar is greater than red bull? Or it's worse than red bull :lol:

Timeline

Heh, on one of our drives from TO, we stopped in a small rural gas station and while paying I accidentally knocked half a stack of $1 off Rockstar coupons. I didnt notice that Buddy had grabbed the half stack that fell, and we used them all up when we got back to Columbus! Heh! On the day they expired, we picked up the last 8. Not as good a saving as 24 for 30 bucks, but it was still good for us!

chris4.jpg

Filed: Country: Pitcairn Islands
Timeline
FYI - Germany is primarily a Coca Cola only country (no Pepsi please).. :dance:

Whatever. I went to Kaufland all time for Pepsi Max.

I thought the Coke there and Coke Light was nasty. I mean, I drank it, but I have absolutely no idea how they ruined both of them.

If you are looking for another HFCS free item and live around the Great Lakes, Meijer has some really good store brand jam called Three Fruits. It is manufactured in Canada.

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline
Heh, on one of our drives from TO, we stopped in a small rural gas station and while paying I accidentally knocked half a stack of $1 off Rockstar coupons. I didnt notice that Buddy had grabbed the half stack that fell, and we used them all up when we got back to Columbus! Heh! On the day they expired, we picked up the last 8. Not as good a saving as 24 for 30 bucks, but it was still good for us!

yeah we figured it would cost him about 60 bucks a month if he got one rockstar every day he went to work :o

mvSuprise-hug.gif

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.