pete wilson

The US fiance changed his mind

19 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Ethiopia
Timeline

I am an American man, married to an Ethiopian, who I brought here sucessfully via a k1 visa over a year ago. This web site was a lifeline through the whole long and painful process. Thanks!

My wife's sister recently came here on a K1 visa. With a month left before her 90 days is up, her fiance decided he does not want to get married after all, and wants to send her back to Ethiopia. She wants to stay here in the US.

Can she? How?

Can she at least get an extension on her K1 visa?

Can my wife and I, as family members, help her in any way with another kind of visa, or sponsorship?

Any help is appreciated!

Pete and Amsale

As she arrived on the K1 if she does not marry the petioner in the 90 day period she will have to leave

You can look at other options to bring her back but she can not stay legally

I am an American man, married to an Ethiopian, who I brought here sucessfully via a k1 visa over a year ago. This web site was a lifeline through the whole long and painful process. Thanks!

My wife's sister recently came here on a K1 visa. With a month left before her 90 days is up, her fiance decided he does not want to get married after all, and wants to send her back to Ethiopia. She wants to stay here in the US.

Can she? How?

Can my wife and I, as family members, help her in any way with another kind of visa, or sponsorship?

Any help is appreciated!

Pete and Amsale

When her I-94 expires AND she did not marry the intended US Citizen, she will no longer be legal in the US. Best advice is for her to not overstay her visa should she intend to return one day. :thumbs:

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

Can she? How?

Any help is appreciated!

Pete and Amsale

You can apply to bring her back over as a family member but for now she will have to leave once her 90 day period is up. Staying in the US after that would seriously damage any change for her to get a legal visa in the future.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: China
Timeline

K-1 is for marriage to the I-129F petitioner, there is no way to stay after the I-94 expires other than marriage to the petitioner.

If not married to the petitioner, overstay will accumulate, and cannot adjust status based on marriage to someone else.

OUR TIME LINE Please do a timeline it helps us all, thanks.

Is now a US Citizen immigration completed Jan 12, 2012.

1428954228.1592.1755425389.png

CHIN0001_zps9c01d045.gifCHIN0100_zps02549215.gifTAIW0001_zps9a9075f1.gifVIET0001_zps0a49d4a7.gif

Look here: A Candle for Love and China Family Visa Forums for Chinese/American relationship,

Visa issues, and lots of info about the Guangzhou and Hong Kong consulate.

Filed: Other Country: China
Timeline
K-1 is for marriage to the I-129F petitioner, there is no way to stay after the I-94 expires other than marriage to the petitioner.

If not married to the petitioner, overstay will accumulate, and cannot adjust status based on marriage to someone else.

To answer your other question, no the visa cannot be extended.

Facts are cheap...knowing how to use them is precious...
Understanding the big picture is priceless. Anonymous

Google Who is Pushbrk?

A Warning to Green Card Holders About Voting

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

No extensions on K-1 visa.

No chances of you or your spouse sponsoring her. She is over 21 I assume and not related to you. In-laws cannot sponsor.

If the OP's wife becomes a citizen, she could petition for her sister, but it would be a long wait for a visa. A petition for a brother or sister takes 8-10 years the last time I checked. Regardless, she can't stay and obtain legal status without marrying the original K-1 petitioner.

Edited by spookyturtle

R.I.P Spooky 2004-2015

Filed: Timeline
No extensions on K-1 visa.

No chances of you or your spouse sponsoring her. She is over 21 I assume and not related to you. In-laws cannot sponsor.

If the OP's wife becomes a citizen, she could petition for her sister, but it would be a long wait for a visa. A petition for a brother or sister takes 8-10 years the last time I checked. Regardless, she can't stay and obtain legal status without marrying the original K-1 petitioner.

My bad - should have said not NOW. :rolleyes:

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Philippines
Timeline

She should go home to avoid problems if ever she will have another chance of marrying an american bcos she entered as k1.

An additional comment - note the penalties for overstaying (six months, one year, etc.). She should leave on time if she really wants to come back legally. She must marry the petitioner listed on her visa, or return within the 90 day limit.

3dflags_ukr0001-0001a.gif3dflags_usa0001-0001a.gif

Travelers - not tourists

Friday.gif

She could stay in USA and become one of the 14 millions illegal aliens living in USA.

youregonnalovemynutsf.jpg

"He always start the fire here in VJ thread and I believe all people will agree with me about it"

What about some kind of refugee/humanitarian status?

Ethiopia is a mess...

I think you have to apply for that sort of thing before you get here. Unless the situation develops after you arrive (like in The Terminal) :lol:

She could stay in USA and become one of the 14 millions illegal aliens living in USA.

No doubt - hold on for the next amnesty call! :rofl:

3dflags_ukr0001-0001a.gif3dflags_usa0001-0001a.gif

Travelers - not tourists

Friday.gif

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.