Ilya R.

Wife interview scheduled

27 posts in this topic

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: Russia
Timeline
DHL is fairly reliable in Russia (packages from Kursk to Austin take 4 days, Austin to Kursk take 6). I've gone ahead and bought the tickets anyway, with the holiday season coming up. Lena's flying out on Nov. 15th, and the interview was done on Oct. 29th.

In your situation, I would suggest that you buy tickets now for 2 weeks after the interview. This is mainly because Dec is always a busy traveling season and you may not actually be able to find tickets at any kind of reasonable price if you wait until after interview is done, unless you want her to leave after New Years. And if the worst comes to worst and her visa is delayed more than 2 weeks due to administrative processing...fine, you can pay extra $150-$300 to reschedule.

Btw, Singapore Airlines is currently selling Moscow-Houston tickets (one way) at $850, hell of a deal.

P.S. I remember flying in Dec and there were no tickets left for the standard Frankfurt connections, so I had to fly from SpB to Moscow to Italy to the US, except of course that in Moscow I arrived in SVO1 and was flying out of SVO2...you can imagine my surprise.

hey AIS,

after your wife's interview how long did it take to receive visa?

Interview was Wed morning, by Saturday she had it (and she lives in Kursk).

Thank you

did she go to DHL to pick it up or delivered?

I just checked, and DHL delivered the passport + immigration POE packet on Sat, so basically we got ours within 3 days.

And she did not have to present any copies at the interview.

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Russia
Timeline

I feel like a counter-scenario is appropriate. After our interview, we received the visas (we picked them up at DHL directly) about 3 weeks later. Please keep in mind that sometimes, through no fault of your own, these things CAN (not MUST) go into bureaucratic limbo. Plan accordingly. Changing airline tickets (3 times, in my case) can be a costly affair.

That said, statistics show that you will probably not have any problems, and I sincerely wish you and yours the very best of luck!

------------------K1 Timeline------------------

05 Jul 2007: Mailed I129F petition

06 Jul 2007: CSC received petition

09 Jul 2007: NOA-1 Issued

10 Jul 2007: My check clears the bank

13 Jul 2007: I receive NOA-1 in the US Mail

19 Nov 2007: Touched

19 Nov 2007: USCIS website shows APPROVED

23 Nov 2007: I receive NOA-2 in the US Mail

12 Dec 2007: NVC receives petition

14 Dec 2007: NVC ships petition to Moscow embassy

19 Dec 2007: Moscow embassy receives petition

26 Feb 2008: Interview at Moscow embassy

13 Mar 2008: Received visa

18 Mar 2008: POE in Atlanta

09 May 2008: Wedding

-----------------AOS Timeline------------------

16 Jun 2008: Submittal for AOS

23 Jun 2008: NOA1 for AOS (I485, I765, I131)

24 Jun 2008: AOS checks cashed

15 Jul 2008: Biometrics appointment

04 Sep 2008: Received I-485 Interview letter

05 Sep 2008: AP/EAD Approved

08 Sep 2008: AP/EAD Received

29 Sep 2008: I-485 Interview (I-551 Stamp received)

07 Oct 2008: Green cards received

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: Russia
Timeline
I feel like a counter-scenario is appropriate. After our interview, we received the visas (we picked them up at DHL directly) about 3 weeks later. Please keep in mind that sometimes, through no fault of your own, these things CAN (not MUST) go into bureaucratic limbo. Plan accordingly. Changing airline tickets (3 times, in my case) can be a costly affair.

That said, statistics show that you will probably not have any problems, and I sincerely wish you and yours the very best of luck!

True. What Ilya needs to do is basically apply the "Fastest. Cheapest. Safest. Pick two" rule.

Fastest and cheapest: buy tickets now for 1.5-2 weeks after the interview.

Fastest and safest: Buy tickets now for 1.5-2 weeks after the interview, but buy not economy class tickets that have rescheduling fee but more expensive ones that allow you to change the date without paying $200.

Cheapest and safest: wait until you have visa then buy cheapest tickets for after new Years.

Considering the odds of getting into KGs' situation and price and availability of tickets in December and their desire to get to the US as soon as possible I think the fastest and cheapest approach would work best.

Filed: Timeline
Considering the odds of getting into KGs' situation and price and availability of tickets in December and their desire to get to the US as soon as possible I think the fastest and cheapest approach would work best.

I'll be the voice of opposition then. :) Remember that KG didn't think he would be in his situation either. Go back and read his blow-by-blow account, it's a real nail-biter. Yes, it's rare to have these delays, but they still happen. And even though it's the US Consulate, it's still Russia.

So rather than rolling the dice and hoping against snake eyes, the wiser course of action is just to decide if you can afford the worst case. What would you do if the visa was delayed 3 or more weeks? If it wouldn't cause a financial hardship, then I say go for it, throw caution to the wind because you can afford it. But if it would put a financial strain on you, then you're better off waiting to buy tickets until she has visa in hand.

Don't go into it hoping against the best, go into it prepared for the worst.

Filed: Country: Russia
Timeline

Thanks guys!!

I hope everything works out!! :))

Here is my story. I've lived problem free life, payed my taxes. One day I decided to marry this girl. But to do so would require her to come to US of A, and so it started. My problem free live turned in to free problems from USCIS! Sure things turned to unsure, certain dates turned to aproximation within months. All logical thinking was out the door, as I filed my papers withing famous Vermont Centre!

I-130 Received

12-12-07

I-130 Approved

8-28-2008

NVC

Date Package Received By NVC : 09-05-08

-- Received DS-3032 / I-864 Bill : 09-11-08

-- Pay I-864 Bill :09-11-08

-- Receive I-864 Package :09-15-08

-- Return I-864 Package :09-16-08

-- Return Completed DS-3032 :09-11-08

-- Receive IV Bill :09-17-2008

-- Pay IV Bill :09-17-2008

-- Receive Instruction Package :09-17-08

-- Case Completed at NVC :10-16-08

Date Package Left From NVC :10-31-08

Date Received By Consulate :11-05-08

Date Rec Instructions (Pkt 3) :11-05-08

Date Complete Instructions (Pkt 3) :11-05-08

Date Rec Appointment Letter (Pkt 4):11-25-08

Interview Date (IR-1/CR-1 Visa):12/08/08

Date IR-1/CR-1 Visa Received :12-11-08

Date of US Entry :12-17-08

Timeline

hey guys, quick questions for those who knows. I received NVC interview letter for my wife, is she suppose to receive one too? Or can she have a copy of mine?

Here is my story. I've lived problem free life, payed my taxes. One day I decided to marry this girl. But to do so would require her to come to US of A, and so it started. My problem free live turned in to free problems from USCIS! Sure things turned to unsure, certain dates turned to aproximation within months. All logical thinking was out the door, as I filed my papers withing famous Vermont Centre!

I-130 Received

12-12-07

I-130 Approved

8-28-2008

NVC

Timeline
hey guys, quick questions for those who knows. I received NVC interview letter for my wife, is she suppose to receive one too? Or can she have a copy of mine?

Her letter should be in the packet sent from the consulate.

Well I got the letter too, but I mean incase the packet doesnt get to her in time, can I make a copy of interview letter and email it to her?

I-130 Received

12-12-07

I-130 Approved

8-28-2008

NVC

Filed: Timeline

Her letter should be in the packet sent from the consulate.

Well I got the letter too, but I mean incase the packet doesnt get to her in time, can I make a copy of interview letter and email it to her?

Sure. :) But it's not necessary. They'll have her on the invitation list at the consulate.

Once again I'll post it -

What's the rush?

You're going to be in the U.S. for a long time and it's extremely expensive to go back and forth. Take some time after the interview, go back home, get all your affairs in order, say goodbye to friends and family and just enjoy Russia for a few weeks.

Русский форум член.

Ensure your beneficiary makes and brings with them to the States a copy of the DS-3025 (vaccination form)

If the government is going to force me to exercise my "right" to health care, then they better start requiring people to exercise their Right to Bear Arms. - "Where's my public option rifle?"

Timeline
Once again I'll post it -

What's the rush?

You're going to be in the U.S. for a long time and it's extremely expensive to go back and forth. Take some time after the interview, go back home, get all your affairs in order, say goodbye to friends and family and just enjoy Russia for a few weeks.

There is no general rush, but he havent seen each other in forever over 7 months.

I-130 Received

12-12-07

I-130 Approved

8-28-2008

NVC

There is no general rush, but he havent seen each other in forever over 7 months.

You'll see plenty of each other in the future......

Русский форум член.

Ensure your beneficiary makes and brings with them to the States a copy of the DS-3025 (vaccination form)

If the government is going to force me to exercise my "right" to health care, then they better start requiring people to exercise their Right to Bear Arms. - "Where's my public option rifle?"

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.