Sprailenes

Have we talked about Wegmans yet? I think we have...

67 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

I don't think all of Western Canada believes that, but the people I have encountered who believe that are from Western Canada.

This is going the wrong way, and it seems some people are getting defensive about a comment I made regarding experiences I have had. I never said: "All" but the only people who have had problems with me being from Ontario were granolas from Western Canada. Different provinces produce different experiences.

I now live in 'Dirty Jersey'... I'm never gonna catch a break in regards to where I choose to live. :P

Donne moi une poptart!

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

U can thank the CBC, 9/10 hockey night in canada's they would show a damn maple leafs game!! talk about having to suffer!!

Canadians Visiting the USA while undergoing the visa process, my free advice:

1) Always tell the TRUTH. never lie to the POE officer

2) Be confident in ur replies

3) keep ur response short and to the point, don't tell ur life story!!

4) look the POE officer in the eye when speaking to them. They are looking for people lieing and have been trained to find them!

5) Pack light! No job resumes with you

6) Bring ties to Canada (letter from employer when ur expected back at work, lease, etc etc)

7) Always be polite, being rude isn't going to get ya anywhere, and could make things worse!!

8) Have a plan in case u do get denied (be polite) It wont harm ur visa application if ur denied,that is if ur polite and didn't lie! Refer to #1

Timeline
Perhaps I haven't been in Canada that long, but I do know human nature. The U.S. has had more than its share of issues like this. Just because you happen to meet some people in the past who were from Western Canada and didn't care for Ontario (and the Canadians living there), that doesn't mean all Canadians living in the western provinces are like that. Perhaps some people in Alberta or BC have met some Ontarians who were complete jerks. Does that mean all Canadians who live in Ontario are like that? Of course not.

If you want Canadians elsewhere to stop thinking incorrect ideas about Ontario, perhaps those from Ontario should do the same with those from other provinces. It works both ways, after all. B)

I also find it somewhat amusing that I'd be told that "I couldn't judge Canada" based upon my limited living experience here, while many of the Canadians in this forum have judged the United States and lack very much living experience there. That does seem a bit hypocritical, doesn't it?

I knew I was going to get a response like this. I haven't said anything in the two years I have been living here in the US about certain groups of Americans thinking or assuming things about other groups of Americans. I have no basis to judge on those things in my limited exposure to Americans from all areas. I also didn't say that ALL Westerners think this way. The people from Western Canada I have had close contact with, mostly Alberta, have had many of these feelings. That doesn't mean that they weren't great people or else they wouldn't have become my friends. If you want political correctness from me, though, you probably aren't going to get it.

Furthermore, I have thought nothing but the best about people from the West. I have quite a few good friends from there and also many friends that have moved there because they liked it so much. I don't, in all honesty, know what bad things I could come up with in reference to Westerners. I was merely pointing out that it never made me feel too good when they had impressions of Ontario (mostly Toronto) and how stuck up we supposedly are. Just different walks of life, that is all.

Any way-back to Wegmans.

"...My hair's mostly wind,

My eyes filled with grit

My skin's white then brown

My lips chapped and split

I've lain on the prairie and heard grasses sigh

I've stared at the vast open bowl of the sky

I've seen all the castles and faces in clouds

My home is the prairie and for that I am proud…

If You're not from the Prairie, you can't know my soul

You don't know our blizzards; you've not fought our cold

You can't know my mind, nor ever my heart

Unless deep within you there's somehow a part…

A part of these things that I've said that I know,

The wind, sky and earth, the storms and the snow.

Best say that you have - and then we'll be one,

For we will have shared that same blazing sun." - David Bouchard

Timeline
Perhaps I haven't been in Canada that long, but I do know human nature. The U.S. has had more than its share of issues like this. Just because you happen to meet some people in the past who were from Western Canada and didn't care for Ontario (and the Canadians living there), that doesn't mean all Canadians living in the western provinces are like that. Perhaps some people in Alberta or BC have met some Ontarians who were complete jerks. Does that mean all Canadians who live in Ontario are like that? Of course not.

If you want Canadians elsewhere to stop thinking incorrect ideas about Ontario, perhaps those from Ontario should do the same with those from other provinces. It works both ways, after all. B)

I also find it somewhat amusing that I'd be told that "I couldn't judge Canada" based upon my limited living experience here, while many of the Canadians in this forum have judged the United States and lack very much living experience there. That does seem a bit hypocritical, doesn't it?

I knew I was going to get a response like this. I haven't said anything in the two years I have been living here in the US about certain groups of Americans thinking or assuming things about other groups of Americans. I have no basis to judge on those things in my limited exposure to Americans from all areas. I also didn't say that ALL Westerners think this way. The people from Western Canada I have had close contact with, mostly Alberta, have had many of these feelings. That doesn't mean that they weren't great people or else they wouldn't have become my friends. If you want political correctness from me, though, you probably aren't going to get it.

Furthermore, I have thought nothing but the best about people from the West. I have quite a few good friends from there and also many friends that have moved there because they liked it so much. I don't, in all honesty, know what bad things I could come up with in reference to Westerners. I was merely pointing out that it never made me feel too good when they had impressions of Ontario (mostly Toronto) and how stuck up we supposedly are. Just different walks of life, that is all.

Any way-back to Wegmans.

Amander Commander... she speaks the truth. :D

Donne moi une poptart!

Timeline
U can thank the CBC, 9/10 hockey night in canada's they would show a damn maple leafs game!! talk about having to suffer!!

:rofl: I love it.. now it's all about Hockey.. way to be the peacemaker Flames :)

AOS:

2007-02-22: Sent AOS /EAD

2007-03-06 : NOA1 AOS /EAD

2007-03-28: Transferred to CSC

2007-05-17: EAD Card Production Ordered

2007-05-21: I485 Approved

2007-05-24: EAD Card Received

2007-06-01: Green Card Received!!

Removal of Conditions:

2009-02-27: Sent I-751

2009-03-07: NOA I-751

2009-03-31: Biometrics Appt. Hartford

2009-07-21: Touched (first time since biometrics) Perhaps address change?

2009-07-28: Approved at VSC

2009-08-25: Received card in the mail

Naturalization

2012-08-20: Submitted N-400

2013-01-18: Became Citizen

Timeline

:rofl: I love it.. now it's all about Hockey.. way to be the peacemaker Flames :)

:lol: He did make a very good effort.

"...My hair's mostly wind,

My eyes filled with grit

My skin's white then brown

My lips chapped and split

I've lain on the prairie and heard grasses sigh

I've stared at the vast open bowl of the sky

I've seen all the castles and faces in clouds

My home is the prairie and for that I am proud…

If You're not from the Prairie, you can't know my soul

You don't know our blizzards; you've not fought our cold

You can't know my mind, nor ever my heart

Unless deep within you there's somehow a part…

A part of these things that I've said that I know,

The wind, sky and earth, the storms and the snow.

Best say that you have - and then we'll be one,

For we will have shared that same blazing sun." - David Bouchard

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

Well if it's any consolation, I grew up in Southern Ontario and didn't think of myself as Canadian. Hell if I was outside Canada I'd always try and deny it, so maybe there is some truth to what the Canadian west think of Southern Ontario ha ha...

(Ok I'm probably the only exception)...

I'm just a wanderer in the desert winds...

Timeline

Oct - Job offer in US

Nov - Received my TN-1 to be authorized to work in the US

Nov - Moved to US

1998-2001

Recieved 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th TN

May - Met future wife at arts fest

Nov - Recieved 6th TN

Nov - Recieved 7th TN

Jul - Our Wedding

Aug - Filed for AOS

Sep - Recieved EAD

Sep - Recieved Advanced Parole

Jan - Interview, accepted for Green Card

Feb - Green Card Arrived in mail

Oct - I-751 sent off

Jan - 10 year Green Card accepted

Mar - 10 year Green Card arrived

Oct - Filed N-400 for Naturalization

Nov - Biometrics done

Nov - Just recieved Naturalization Interview date for Jan.

Jan - Naturalization Interview Completed

Feb - Oath Letter recieved

Feb - Oath Ceremony

Feb 21 - Finally a US CITIZEN (yay)

THE END

Timeline

That's sad that you would deny being from such a great place.

It's more of an attitude that Southern Ontario is very consumed with itself. It's over populated, covered in concrete and full of big box stores. They're judging the golden horseshoe, and that doesn't represent all of Ontario. Ontario is a huge province.

Obviously these people have never driven around Lake Superior or seen Manitoulin Island, or have stood at the shores of Hudson Bay. But like every province, Ontario is unique, and has its own offerings.

I have lived in Quebec, I have lived in Alberta and I have spent some time in Nunavut. I have traveled my country and I think the entire place is gorgeous and wonderful.

You know what all of Canada needs though?

Wegmans. :)

Donne moi une poptart!

Timeline
What is a granola? (aside from a grain cereal?) :blink:

Is this a prairie dweller reference?

No, a granola is a neo-hippie.

You know the kinds of people who spend their summers planting trees and playing the bongos. :lol:

Donne moi une poptart!

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

You know the kinds of people who spend their summers planting trees and playing the bongos. :lol:

Ahhhh I seeeee

Timeline

:rofl: I have a friend.. that's EXACTLY what he did last summer.. oh sooooo funny.. his pics on FB were priceless!!!

AOS:

2007-02-22: Sent AOS /EAD

2007-03-06 : NOA1 AOS /EAD

2007-03-28: Transferred to CSC

2007-05-17: EAD Card Production Ordered

2007-05-21: I485 Approved

2007-05-24: EAD Card Received

2007-06-01: Green Card Received!!

Removal of Conditions:

2009-02-27: Sent I-751

2009-03-07: NOA I-751

2009-03-31: Biometrics Appt. Hartford

2009-07-21: Touched (first time since biometrics) Perhaps address change?

2009-07-28: Approved at VSC

2009-08-25: Received card in the mail

Naturalization

2012-08-20: Submitted N-400

2013-01-18: Became Citizen

From the Urban Dictionary (it's the most accurate definition I found):

"An adjective used to describe people who are environmentally aware (flower child, tree-hugger), open-minded, left-winged, socially aware and active, ####### or #######-positive, anti-oppressive/discriminatory (racial, sexual, gender, class, age, etc.) with an organic and natural emphasis on living, who will usually refrain from consuming or using anything containing animals and animal by-products (for health and/or environmental reasons), as well as limit consumption of what he or she does consume, as granola people are usually concerned about wasting resources. Usually buy only fair-trade goods and refrain from buying from large corporations, as most exploit the environment as well as their workers, which goes against granola core values. The choice of not removing body hair (see amazon) and drug use are not characteristics that define granola people, and people, regardless of granola status, may or may not partake in said activities. This definition is sometimes confused with hippy."

I just love looking stuff up and finding their meaning :)

Timeline

From the Urban Dictionary (it's the most accurate definition I found):

"An adjective used to describe people who are environmentally aware (flower child, tree-hugger), open-minded, left-winged, socially aware and active, ####### or #######-positive, anti-oppressive/discriminatory (racial, sexual, gender, class, age, etc.) with an organic and natural emphasis on living, who will usually refrain from consuming or using anything containing animals and animal by-products (for health and/or environmental reasons), as well as limit consumption of what he or she does consume, as granola people are usually concerned about wasting resources. Usually buy only fair-trade goods and refrain from buying from large corporations, as most exploit the environment as well as their workers, which goes against granola core values. The choice of not removing body hair (see amazon) and drug use are not characteristics that define granola people, and people, regardless of granola status, may or may not partake in said activities. This definition is sometimes confused with hippy."

I just love looking stuff up and finding their meaning :)

So spiritalight is like our resident granola. :D

jk jk maybe ;)

Donne moi une poptart!

Timeline

:rofl: I have a friend.. that's EXACTLY what he did last summer.. oh sooooo funny.. his pics on FB were priceless!!!

Wait wait wait... did he wear hemp jewelery and grow dreds? :rofl:

Tree planters.. ahh gotta love em. :lol:

Donne moi une poptart!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.