Dave and Jess

Denial of Entry at Airport

27 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline
There has only been one recent British case that I can think of off the top of my head....you might be able to dig it up in some of the older threads. I think it had something to do with the OH having visited several times in a short period of time.

In general, the Brits (likely after Canadians) have the easiest time getting through POE's compared to people of other nationalities.

Um, no I wouldn't say that.

Brits get turned back all the time.

I don't have any hard statistics...I'm just gauging off what I've seen on these boards.

Whether or not the numbers are good/bad I still feel terrible for those that do get turned away.

wtf-picard.jpg

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Scotland
Timeline

Hi All

My last visit to the USA ended 31st of August 2008. I was told when going through POE in Chicago at the end of July at the start of my visit, that I was a few days short of the 180 day limit for visits and that I would be denied entry to the USA if I visited again anytime soon!

OK, it will soon be the start of a new year, and I'm planning on going over for 10 days either Jan/Feb - keeping my fingers crossed that I've had enough of a break between visits.

My passport is full of stamps as my fiance and I have been together for two and a half years and I always get questioned pretty thoroughly when going through. They say to me ... "you have a lot of stamps in your passport" and I just reply "yeah - but that's two and a half years worth". I took a letter from work last time, bank statements showing direct debits, but all the officer was interested in was my return ticket.

We should be filing the I-129F in the next couple of weeks. A few more months of waiting and then I can start living my life!!

Have a good week everyone ...

K-1

All information is in my timeline ....

AOS

08.22.09 ~~~ Posted AOS docs to Chicago

08.28.09 ~~~ Notice Date

08.31.09 ~~~ Received 3 x NOA's in the mail

09.01.09 ~~~ Date changed on status tracker - a "touch" woot ....

09.04.09 ~~~ Appointment notice arrived for Biometrics

09.22.09 ~~~ Biometrics

09.22.09 ~~~ A wee touch to AOS and EAD

09.23.09 ~~~ Another touch to both - email re transfer to Calfornia

10.05.09 ~~~ Emails to say both EAD and AP are approved!

10.06.09 ~~~ Touches to both EAD and AP

10.07.09 ~~~ Touch to EAD

10.08.09 ~~~ Touch and email advising card production for EAD

10.13.09 ~~~ EAD received!

10.15.09 ~~~ Applied for SS Number .....

10.20.09 ~~~ Email saying AOS approved and card being produced!!

10.24.09 ~~~ Green card received!

I believe Gemmie nearly got turned away after the officer saw how many entry stamps she had in her passport for the same POE. She just got asked a load of questions then they let her through.

Yeah, I'm not sure if I just got unlucky with the officer as I was standing on the line (in front of the booth) for quite a while as the person in front of me was asked for their return ticket... then when it was my turn, he asked me many questions once he saw my stamps, and asked for my return ticket. I also gave him my university letter and he asked me more questions about my rights and my plans. When he asked where I was getting married, I told him we hadn't gotten that far yet and that was the last question he asked. Looking back though, he obviously meant "which country are you getting married in" but I took that as "where in the US are you getting married" so I did technically answer honestly!

I'm trying again in 6 weeks and I'm really nervous, this will be my last visit before I have my visa. I'm planning on saying I'm here to visit my fiance for the holidays, and if he asks/seems suspicious, I'll offer my return ticket and/or university letter stating when the Christmas break ends.

Hi All

My last visit to the USA ended 31st of August 2008. I was told when going through POE in Chicago at the end of July at the start of my visit, that I was a few days short of the 180 day limit for visits and that I would be denied entry to the USA if I visited again anytime soon!

OK, it will soon be the start of a new year, and I'm planning on going over for 10 days either Jan/Feb - keeping my fingers crossed that I've had enough of a break between visits.

My passport is full of stamps as my fiance and I have been together for two and a half years and I always get questioned pretty thoroughly when going through. They say to me ... "you have a lot of stamps in your passport" and I just reply "yeah - but that's two and a half years worth". I took a letter from work last time, bank statements showing direct debits, but all the officer was interested in was my return ticket.

We should be filing the I-129F in the next couple of weeks. A few more months of waiting and then I can start living my life!!

Have a good week everyone ...

They aren't looking at how long you've been in the US for a calendar year. They look at how long you've been in the US in the 12 months preceding your current entry. If you plan to go in January 2009, look at how many days you've been in the US since January 2008.

05/16/2005 I-129F Sent

05/28/2005 I-129F NOA1

06/21/2005 I-129F NOA2

07/18/2005 Consulate Received package from NVC

11/09/2005 Medical

11/16/2005 Interview APPROVED

12/05/2005 Visa received

12/07/2005 POE Minneapolis

12/17/2005 Wedding

12/20/2005 Applied for SSN

01/14/2005 SSN received in the mail

02/03/2006 AOS sent (Did not apply for EAD or AP)

02/09/2006 NOA

02/16/2006 Case status Online

05/01/2006 Biometrics Appt.

07/12/2006 AOS Interview APPROVED

07/24/2006 GC arrived

05/02/2007 Driver's License - Passed Road Test!

05/27/2008 Lifting of Conditions sent (TSC > VSC)

06/03/2008 Check Cleared

07/08/2008 INFOPASS (I-551 stamp)

07/08/2008 Driver's License renewed

04/20/2009 Lifting of Conditions approved

04/28/2009 Card received in the mail

Ok, here's my two bits worth...do you guys say two pence worth??

This is a post I made ages ago about my conversation with CBP on the subject just to add another bit of info to the question.

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/index.ph...p;#entry1948785

My fiance was never denied, but 3 weeks was the longest he ever stayed and 3 trips in a year was the most he ever came. He always said "I'm here on holiday to visit friends." When they commented once, "you sure come here alot" he said, "Yeah, I like it here. I always have fun." And also he's old :rofl: and didn't look suspicious. There are at least a few good things that come with age.

I personally think a holiday visit that's not anywhere near pushing the 90 day limit is going to be fine.

England.gifENGLAND ---

K-1 Timeline 4 months, 19 days 03-10-08 VSC to 7-29-08 Interview London

10-05-08 Married

AOS Timeline 5 months, 14 days 10-9-08 to 3-23-09 No interview

Removing Conditions Timeline 5 months, 20 days12-27-10 to 06-10-11 No interview

Citizenship Timeline 3 months, 26 days 12-31-11 Dallas to 4-26-12 Interview Houston

05-16-12 Oath ceremony

The journey from Fiancé to US citizenship:

4 years, 2 months, 6 days

243 pages of forms/documents submitted

No RFEs

See I always thought saying the purpose of your visit is to see friends is a lie. If the CBP asks more about those friends (which is likely if you have a lot of stamps), he'll know straight away that you mean your fiance. :huh:

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: England
Timeline
Ok, here's my two bits worth...do you guys say two pence worth??

"Two penneth", Nich.

Naturalization Timeline:

Event

Service Center : Phoenix AZ Lockbox

CIS Office : Saint Louis MO

Date Filed : 2014-06-11

NOA Date : 2014-06-16

Bio. Appt. :

Interview Date :

Approved :

Oath Ceremony :

Comments :

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Scotland
Timeline
They aren't looking at how long you've been in the US for a calendar year. They look at how long you've been in the US in the 12 months preceding your current entry. If you plan to go in January 2009, look at how many days you've been in the US since January 2008.

I visited for 174 days in total since January 2008. My last visit ended 31st of August and I won't be going back to the USA until mid Jan/Feb. If they are going to calculate it like that - I won't be able to visit because the bulk of my visiting was done in the first six months of 2008 ... :crying:

K-1

All information is in my timeline ....

AOS

08.22.09 ~~~ Posted AOS docs to Chicago

08.28.09 ~~~ Notice Date

08.31.09 ~~~ Received 3 x NOA's in the mail

09.01.09 ~~~ Date changed on status tracker - a "touch" woot ....

09.04.09 ~~~ Appointment notice arrived for Biometrics

09.22.09 ~~~ Biometrics

09.22.09 ~~~ A wee touch to AOS and EAD

09.23.09 ~~~ Another touch to both - email re transfer to Calfornia

10.05.09 ~~~ Emails to say both EAD and AP are approved!

10.06.09 ~~~ Touches to both EAD and AP

10.07.09 ~~~ Touch to EAD

10.08.09 ~~~ Touch and email advising card production for EAD

10.13.09 ~~~ EAD received!

10.15.09 ~~~ Applied for SS Number .....

10.20.09 ~~~ Email saying AOS approved and card being produced!!

10.24.09 ~~~ Green card received!

There has only been one recent British case that I can think of off the top of my head....you might be able to dig it up in some of the older threads. I think it had something to do with the OH having visited several times in a short period of time.

In general, the Brits (likely after Canadians) have the easiest time getting through POE's compared to people of other nationalities.

What nationality gets turned away second least? I definitely would have thought it was British as well, proportionally.

My Crafting Blog - On a Roll - Blogspot

3179788211_95b93e62af_t.jpg3179788215_6a1e497e9b_t.jpg3165849344_f296789fd3_t.jpg

US Immigration Timeline

-------------------------

24 Feb 2007 - Sent I-130 to London USCIS office (I'm the petitioner)

25 May 2007 - NOA2

2 June 2007 - Received Packet 3

12 Oct 2007 - Sent Packet 3 back by special delivery

5 Nov 2007 - Interview in London - Approved without any hitches!

7 Nov 2007 - Visa and MBE arrived by SMS! :)

30 Jan 2008 - Fly to Michigan!! :)

*Note: Any delays in our case are only due to us taking things slowly

What nationality gets turned away second least? I definitely would have thought it was British as well, proportionally.

I would have thought Mexicans :P

I have to admit I have never tried entering the US since applying for visa - we've met up in Canada instead or he's come here as we didnt want to run the risk.

I dont know if it's because Im British, but I always sailed through POE when visiting him before. I was never asked to show my return ticket or produce any evidence. I was once asked how long I planned to stay (21 days, couldnt get more leave from work) but that's it. From reading some of the experiences here I guess I was lucky :unsure:

Edited by desilu

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: England
Timeline

I visited for 174 days in total since January 2008. My last visit ended 31st of August and I won't be going back to the USA until mid Jan/Feb. If they are going to calculate it like that - I won't be able to visit because the bulk of my visiting was done in the first six months of 2008 ... :crying:

My advise to you is make your 10 day trip at least 180 days after August 31st. Because it's said that you have to spend the most time in your home country. so spending over the time you spent in America at home would be very important.

My husband visited me 3 times here in the US and stayed the limit every time, he never had a problem until the last time when they said that he should look into visas because he was using the VWP so much. that was over 2 years. I had a problem going to England almost every time, almost having to fight my way through, always telling the truth and they sometimes treated me like a criminal. They've gone through my bags and held me for 2 hours and also lied to me about calling and telling my husband that they had me. not to mention that was my very first trip out of America! What a way to meet the Brits. The last time I went to England it was for 2 weeks, I had a note from my employer, copy of our visa paper work (because they don't want me to marry in England), a hole itinerary for the 2 week stay and they still kept me for about 20 min questioning me. I don't know what I did wrong, I never once lied and I never stayed longer then I was allowed to, I never worked and I didn't marry there, so who knows why I'm hated so much!

flag45.gif Damian & Kelly 1502.gif

Rugby, England >> Harrisburg, PA.

Summer 2005 -- Met on Pokerstars.com

June 15th, 2006 -- Met in Person

Feb 1st, 2008 -- Filed I-129F

May 2nd, 2008 -- Visa Interview = Approved. (91days)

May 27th, 2008 -- Damian moves to America!

July 23rd - 30th, 2008 -- Damian's Mum Comes to the US for our wedding.

July 25th, 2008 -- Wedding Day!

March 16th, 2009 -- AOS Sent

May 8th, 2009 -- EAD & AP Approved (51days)

July 14th, 2009 -- AOS Approved!! (118days)

July 21st, 2009 -- Green Card Received (125days)

No RFEs the whole process :) All done myself.

December 4th - 30th, 2009 -- Visited England

April 8th - 30th, 2010 -- Damian's Brother visits us here in PA.

January 19th, 2010 -- Damian got his PA license.

December 10th - 19th, 2010 -- Visited England

September 16th - 30th, 2011 -- Damian's Parents came to visit us here in PA.

June 1st, 2011 -- Mailed ROC to Vermont.

February 21st, 2012 -- 10 Year Green Card Received

April 14th, 2012 -- N-400 Sent to Dallas Lockbox

November 26th, 2012 – Damian Became a US Citizen!!!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.