WonTanNara

VT W. African Dance and Drum Festival

30 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Nigeria
Timeline

Thank you for sharing! When I was exploring options for hotel accommodations, which were few, I discovered a drum school that offered overnight accommodations and lessons for $1000 for a week.

I am so tempted to go, but I will have to wait until next year. Hopefully my husband will be here and we can make a weekend of it.

<object width="660" height="525"><param name="movie" value="

name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="
type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="660" height="525"></embed></object>

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Guinea
Timeline
Thank you for sharing! When I was exploring options for hotel accommodations, which were few, I discovered a drum school that offered overnight accommodations and lessons for $1000 for a week.

I am so tempted to go, but I will have to wait until next year. Hopefully my husband will be here and we can make a weekend of it.

Yes yes! Come next year! It's so much fun.

There is also Camp Fereta in California in July. This is the link for the 2008 camp but they will update it soon.

Camp Fareta

We are blessed to have so many incredible W. African artists here in America. If it wasn't for my dance teacher here in VT I would not have made the trip to Guinea and subsequently met my fiance. Getting connected in your community might help some of you that are waiting to pass the time! I know I'd be a lump w/out my community here.

Filed: Country: Senegal
Timeline

http://www.nathanielturner.com/katherinedunhamdancinge.htm

I am enjoying West African dance and drum lessons for a donation ( $ 5 to $10 per week ) about 30 min from my home.

Our group performs for schools, libraries, events, state fairs etc. and is an offshoot from a group that was under the great Katherine Dunham.

Timeline
http://www.nathanielturner.com/katherinedunhamdancinge.htm

I am enjoying West African dance and drum lessons for a donation ( $ 5 to $10 per week ) about 30 min from my home.

Our group performs for schools, libraries, events, state fairs etc. and is an offshoot from a group that was under the great Katherine Dunham.

Nice! What countries rhythms do you study? I find similarities yet very distinct difference between Guinean, Senegalese, and Malian rhythms. Music from Ghana and Ivory Coast seems to be totally different. My preference is obviously Guinean, I think it's because it's what I am most familiar with. I've tried Senegalese sabar and it's tough! They make it look so dang easy.

Timeline

I started a couple months ago and have not even got one single dance down from start to finish to have an opinion. It will take me much longer to even begin to differentiate between the rhythms. Still trying to " listen " to the drum talking to me and interpret what the heck it is supposed to be saying to me as instructed by the teacher :rofl::wacko:

Making baby steps progress but sorry I can't answer your question......yet. The jumping is extremely difficult for me , especially the quick turns of direction. Am jiving more with the slow to medium pace.

The group is looking into going on youtube soon so I will post a link when that happens. I will do whatever I have to not to be on there :rolleyes:

Timeline
I started a couple months ago and have not even got one single dance down from start to finish to have an opinion. It will take me much longer to even begin to differentiate between the rhythms. Still trying to " listen " to the drum talking to me and interpret what the heck it is supposed to be saying to me as instructed by the teacher :rofl::wacko:

Making baby steps progress but sorry I can't answer your question......yet. The jumping is extremely difficult for me , especially the quick turns of direction. Am jiving more with the slow to medium pace.

The group is looking into going on youtube soon so I will post a link when that happens. I will do whatever I have to not to be on there :rolleyes:

Where is your teacher from? If you can find a teacher from Mali, Malian dance is a lot less jumpy and more grounded than Guinean or Senegalese. The jumping really is tough and it's taken my feet years to develop good callouses. I always have to soak my feet after class but it's so worth it!

Here is a link to our group!

Timeline

Very cool, thanks for sharing . Man ,I find it very, very difficult to dance around the drum and keep the rhythm going with the drum so I just drum.

It will take years for me to get advanced like that .

My teacher is African American and was taught from the split away group who learned under K. Dunham.

She is a stickler for authenticity which is good though but oh my poor feet and legs......... :rolleyes:

I am just there to get some exercise and learn and not into performing all though they are insisting I go along for the performances which I have not done yet.

Timeline
Very cool, thanks for sharing . Man ,I find it very, very difficult to dance around the drum and keep the rhythm going with the drum so I just drum.

It will take years for me to get advanced like that .

My teacher is African American and was taught from the split away group who learned under K. Dunham.

She is a stickler for authenticity which is good though but oh my poor feet and legs......... :rolleyes:

I am just there to get some exercise and learn and not into performing all though they are insisting I go along for the performances which I have not done yet.

I think it's awesome you are dancing! It really is hard on the feet. One thing that helps are these nifty little half socks called dance paws. I don't wear them every class because I want to keep my callouses for dancing on that darn concrete in Africa, but they allow me to dance 3-4 times a week without bruising my tootsies!

The African rhythms are so different from our Western music and it does take years of practice. Your hubby will be so happy to see you dance I'm sure!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

Where is your teacher from? If you can find a teacher from Mali, Malian dance is a lot less jumpy and more grounded than Guinean or Senegalese. The jumping really is tough and it's taken my feet years to develop good callouses. I always have to soak my feet after class but it's so worth it!

Here is a link to our group!

That was OUTSTANDING!

Vermont is rockin'

I especially enjoyed seeing all the different races/cultures of people all together, dancing, enjoying, and really getting into the meaning of the dances.

Why can't the WORLD be this way? Can you imagine a world where everyone celebrated each others cultures so openly and freely? I have faith and hope that we will oneday see that day.

It also looks like a workout that burns thousands of calories. I would love to join a class around here now. But I don't know if my old bones could do some of those moves. This seems more strenuous than my Tae Bo, Step Aerobics and Walk Aerobics by far!

Thanks for sharing. I really enjoyed the video WanTaNara.....which lady were you? :)

Consulate : London, United Kingdom

Spent month in Africa 06/2007

Spent month in UK 02/2008

I-129F Sent : 03-05

I-129F NOA1 : 03-07

I-129 NOA1 Hard Copy: 03-15

Touched: 03-11

Touched: 03-13

Touched: 03-14

Touched: 07-22.

I-129F NOA2 :07-22

Touched: 07-23

I-129 NOA2 Hard Copy:07-28

NVC Received : 07-28

NVC Left : 07-30

Consulate Received : 08-06

Packet 3 Received : 08-15

Packet 3 Sent : 09-04 and 10-2

Packet 4 Received : 10-6

Interview Date : 10-16

Comment: Issued blue slip at interview to get Police Certs AGAIN :-(

Timeline
That was OUTSTANDING!

Vermont is rockin'

I especially enjoyed seeing all the different races/cultures of people all together, dancing, enjoying, and really getting into the meaning of the dances.

Why can't the WORLD be this way? Can you imagine a world where everyone celebrated each others cultures so openly and freely? I have faith and hope that we will oneday see that day.

It also looks like a workout that burns thousands of calories. I would love to join a class around here now. But I don't know if my old bones could do some of those moves. This seems more strenuous than my Tae Bo, Step Aerobics and Walk Aerobics by far!

Thanks for sharing. I really enjoyed the video WanTaNara.....which lady were you? :)

Ah Stevi I'm so happy you enjoyed it! We are definately blessed here in Burlington, Vermont. Everybody seems to get along just fine and it makes the winters well worth it. I just wish my fiance had been able to come this summer to have a little time to adjust, have a feeling he's going to be arriving in the dead of winter! And yes, dancing like this burns a zillion calories. I always come home exhausted after class. Here is a link that lists classes by state, maybe there is something in your area.

African Dance Teachers by State

Here is another little ditty about our conference last year. In this one you can see two of our Guinean artists up close and personal and some really cute little girls with attitude!

As far as which lady I am, you'll have to come to Vermont to see! Hee hee... really, the only spot you can see my face clearly is in the first video in one of the still shots under the classes section. We're all in class in the studio and I'm wearing a brown and ivory lappa w/ an ivory top. Dark brown hair, all slicked back from sweat! :dance:

I've been so sad the last few weeks waiting for our AP to be over and sharing this has perked me right up, so I thank you for your interest!

Won tan nara (it's Susu and it means we walk together).

Timeline

Thanks again WanTaNara. I will go back to the first video and try to find you :)

I am really getting excited about the possibility of finding a class here in my town. And I also just saw the pictures of your wedding rings. They are exquisite. I have not yet looked at the second video, but I am going to do so as soon as I post this.

You have such great info to share. Whenever my SO gets here, we might have to look into Vermont as a possible relocation spot :)

Timeline
Thanks again WanTaNara. I will go back to the first video and try to find you :)

I am really getting excited about the possibility of finding a class here in my town. And I also just saw the pictures of your wedding rings. They are exquisite. I have not yet looked at the second video, but I am going to do so as soon as I post this.

You have such great info to share. Whenever my SO gets here, we might have to look into Vermont as a possible relocation spot :)

Ohhhh our rings, I'm so happy about them!

Who'd a' thought, but we have a really strong African community here in Vermont. We have artists from Guinea, Senegal, and Ivory Coast. A couple from Ghana runs our African market, and I don't know any of them personally but I know there are several Nigerians and Sudanese here too. Ah, there's a couple guys from Togo too. We'll be here if you ever need help relocating or want to come visit! Insh-Allah... our men will be here soon.

Filed: Other Timeline
That was OUTSTANDING!

Vermont is rockin'

Ah Stevi I'm so happy you enjoyed it! We are definately blessed here in Burlington, Vermont. Everybody seems to get along just fine and it makes the winters well worth it. I just wish my fiance had been able to come this summer to have a little time to adjust, have a feeling he's going to be arriving in the dead of winter! And yes, dancing like this burns a zillion calories. I always come home exhausted after class. Here is a link that lists classes by state, maybe there is something in your area.

African Dance Teachers by State

Here is another little ditty about our conference last year. In this one you can see two of our Guinean artists up close and personal and some really cute little girls with attitude!

As far as which lady I am, you'll have to come to Vermont to see! Hee hee... really, the only spot you can see my face clearly is in the first video in one of the still shots under the classes section. We're all in class in the studio and I'm wearing a brown and ivory lappa w/ an ivory top. Dark brown hair, all slicked back from sweat! :dance:

I've been so sad the last few weeks waiting for our AP to be over and sharing this has perked me right up, so I thank you for your interest!

Won tan nara (it's Susu and it means we walk together).

figures they wouldn't have a school in Iowa :blush:

I am all that the Potter created me to be.

I celebrate, liberate and dedicate my life to His Glory.

I Am Uno!

Timeline

I just fell in love with Vermont!

I enjoyed the second video too. I always imagined Vermont as being quiet, quaint and just completely opposite of what I watched in the video. I had no idea.....

My project for this weekend will be to devote some time to surfing the web reading more about Vermont. It seems to be very welcoming.

I'm going to bed early tonight. Thanks again for the nice entertainment WanTaNara.

Hugs,

Stevi

figures they wouldn't have a school in Iowa :blush:

There you are, Uno....

I was missin' you.

Goodnight

Edited by stevi1123

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.