pawfectchis

Confused, confused, confused.

26 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Woah there is so much information in this one thread, some correct and some not, that we might be confusing the OP. Someone should clarify, maybe in some bullet points, on what exact the OP can and can't do.

"...My hair's mostly wind,

My eyes filled with grit

My skin's white then brown

My lips chapped and split

I've lain on the prairie and heard grasses sigh

I've stared at the vast open bowl of the sky

I've seen all the castles and faces in clouds

My home is the prairie and for that I am proud…

If You're not from the Prairie, you can't know my soul

You don't know our blizzards; you've not fought our cold

You can't know my mind, nor ever my heart

Unless deep within you there's somehow a part…

A part of these things that I've said that I know,

The wind, sky and earth, the storms and the snow.

Best say that you have - and then we'll be one,

For we will have shared that same blazing sun." - David Bouchard

Timeline
Ha ha. If you had said that in a business meeting, Amanda, .... guess who'd get the job? :lol:

:lol: NOT ME! haha It's what I like to call..passing the buck.... I do it every day ;) HAHA

My eyes filled with grit

Bottom line is she can't stay here once her current 6 months is up and she won't be able to come back for another 6. She may get away with visiting but she can't come to stay and if she does, she'd better not leave because chances are she won't be allowed back in. And then they'd need a waiver if she overstays. (But that can risk a ban if it is over a year I believe)

But then he's not even eligible to sponsor her for a K-1 because he's not divorced yet. So she's going to have to go back to Canada or find an alternative route into the US or risk a 3 year ban because until he's divorced, she has zero K-visa opportunity. I think the real question here is how long will this divorce take?

Sent I-130 to VT 25-Oct-2007

I-130 Moved to California 6-August-2008

My petition has been in 3 states (1, twice) in 9 months!

Rec'd by CSC 8/9, touched 8/11, 8/12, 8/15, 8/20, 8/25

Approved Tuesday, 25-August-2008

10 months since we mailed the petition

Rec'd NVC 9/3, Invoice Generated 9/10, DS-3032 emailed 9/11.

Rec'd AOS invoice 9/15, paid online 9/15, Accepted as Paid 9/18, mailed I-864EZ 9/19

IV Invoiced 9/18, paid online 9/19, Accepted as paid 9/22

DS-230 sent 10/2

Case complete @NVC 10/8 - 11 months, 1 week and 6 days

Interview in Montreal December 18, 2008 - scheduled 1 year, 1 week and 3 days after the start of our journey. Takes place 1 year, 1 month, 3 weeks and 2 days after the start...

[X] Passed [ ] Failed Interview

Thursday, April 2, 2009 Activated Visa - 1 year, 5 months, 1 week and 1 day

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

If she came into the USA with NO intent of staying then decided to stay,she COULD stay and AOS!! There are soem VJ members that have done this.

Canadians Visiting the USA while undergoing the visa process, my free advice:

1) Always tell the TRUTH. never lie to the POE officer

2) Be confident in ur replies

3) keep ur response short and to the point, don't tell ur life story!!

4) look the POE officer in the eye when speaking to them. They are looking for people lieing and have been trained to find them!

5) Pack light! No job resumes with you

6) Bring ties to Canada (letter from employer when ur expected back at work, lease, etc etc)

7) Always be polite, being rude isn't going to get ya anywhere, and could make things worse!!

8) Have a plan in case u do get denied (be polite) It wont harm ur visa application if ur denied,that is if ur polite and didn't lie! Refer to #1

Timeline
If she came into the USA with NO intent of staying then decided to stay,she COULD stay and AOS!! There are soem VJ members that have done this.

Like me...I went as a visitor and we ended up getting married. It was not my intention to marry when I first entered the US, but once I did get married we filed for AOS and I was in the US for almost a year without going home.

My eyes filled with grit

Timeline

yep like thetrbel stated!! 1 downside of going that route is that if you leave the USA before u can finish AOS or get Advance parole, is that you may not be allowed to reenter,then you have to start over with a k3 or cr-1! So if someone dies, big family event, you may not be able to go!! And of course u can't work! but its an option

4) look the POE officer in the eye when speaking to them. They are looking for people lieing and have been trained to find them!

6) Bring ties to Canada (letter from employer when ur expected back at work, lease, etc etc)

7) Always be polite, being rude isn't going to get ya anywhere, and could make things worse!!

8) Have a plan in case u do get denied (be polite) It wont harm ur visa application if ur denied,that is if ur polite and didn't lie! Refer to #1

The problem is that in this case, her intention is to marry and stay. And that is illegal.

Edited by MsZ

Rec'd AOS invoice 9/15, paid online 9/15, Accepted as Paid 9/18, mailed I-864EZ 9/19

DS-230 sent 10/2

Interview in Montreal December 18, 2008 - scheduled 1 year, 1 week and 3 days after the start of our journey. Takes place 1 year, 1 month, 3 weeks and 2 days after the start...

Timeline
The problem is that in this case, her intention is to marry and stay. And that is illegal.

She is already in the USA!!

Timeline

I think what MsZ is saythat is that if she leaves and then returns, THEN her intent in going to the US is to stay and marry, that's illegal

But her fiancee is not divorced yet and she's facing the end of the 6 months she's been permitted to stay.

It sounds like if you leave now, there's a good chance you wont' be allowed back in. So if you stay past your 6 months, will that complicate your case?

USCIS
August 12, 2008 - petition sent
August 16, 2008 - NOA-1
February 10, 2009 - NOA-2
178 DAYS FROM NOA-1

NVC
February 13, 2009 - NVC case number assigned
March 12, 2009 - Case Complete
25 DAY TRIP THROUGH NVC

Medical
May 4, 2009

Interview
May, 26, 2009

POE - June 20, 2009 Toronto - Atlanta, GA

Removal of Conditions
Filed - April 14, 2011
Biometrics - June 2, 2011 (early)
Approval - November 9, 2011
209 DAY TRIP TO REMOVE CONDITIONS

Citizenship

April 29, 2013 - NOA1 for petition received

September 10, 2013 Interview - decision could not be made.

April 15, 2014 APPROVED. Wait for oath ceremony

Waited...

September 29, 2015 - sent letter to senator.

October 16, 2015 - US Citizen

If he can get divorced before the next six months, she can probably get away with an overstay. But as stated earlier, she can't leave the US because it is too risky. Probably the thing to do is to risk the overstay for close to a year and then if he's not going to get divorced, voluntarily leave. Then they'll file a waiver when he petitions for a K-3 or K-1 or whatever. I mean if she's hell bent on staying in the US.

I wouldn't be able to do the above (of course I'm the USC, but my husband has been communting for a while now!) because it is risky and, I'd have to be independently wealthy since you can't work under these circumstances. And then having to return to Canada after a year away means you have to find work, a place to live, etc. and that's probably going to be challenging. So the above isn't without risk.

Not to cast aspersions but I'd also be very sure that it isn't him who is dragging out the divorce. It happens too often. So check that the papers have indeed been filed. They're a matter of public record. And push him to get his lawyer to push the court. I don't know where he lives but sitting on a divorce for no reason doesn't really happen often.

DS-230 sent 10/2

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.