amal

The MENA Sultan's Kitchen Cookbook

114 posts in this topic

The recipes are coming along well. I am not sure who did and who didn't post a copyrighted recipe. What I've done so far is post EXACTLY what was posted in the pinned thread, edit spelling errors (a couple I wasn't sure so I left them exactly as they were), put quotes on some items that the poster originally stated, put the date the recipe was originally posted, and leave the name of the book/chef the recipe was taken from. I think that should be ok, don't you all think?

So far it is only something I'm doing for the MENA forum but I am including all the recipes that were submitted...coz they are recipes that the MENA girls have tried, used, and recommended. I think they might be interesting gifts for relatives and/or co-workers who are interested in MENA recipes and/or other tried and true recipes from ur friends. I've got about 50 or so recipes copied down so far and have only gotten to page 30 of Sultan's Kitchen.

In this thread, I'm looking for ideas for names for the cookbook. I'd like to keep it VJ related coz this is where it began. So far, I've thought about...

Sultan's Kitchen

VJ's MENA Cookbook - Direct from the Sultan's Kitchen

Sultan's Kitchen - A taste of ME/NA

Sultan's Pocket Recipes

These are just some ideas. Please help me out to find the most fun name for our MENA cookbook.

I'd also like to add that I will be adding recipes up until about the 1st week of November so if you have a recipe you want to add, please do so ASAP so I can get it into the book. Whatever recipes you all use a lot in ur homes will be accepted. ME/NA type recipes are, of course, preferred since it IS a MENA cookbook (for the most part)

If you want to quote a recipe from somewhere, please leave the information on who/what/where you got the recipe so credit can be given where credit is due.

I will be using the VJ screen name of the person that posted the recipe AND the date of which it was posted. If you do not want your VJ name used, please let me know so I can change ur name to "unknown".

If you know some ppl that used to play in MENA and are not regular posters anymore, feel free to contact them and see if they'd be interested in a copy as well. I will be needing addresses too but not right now. I'll wait until I'm a bit further with the project before I take that information.

What price would you all feel is fair? $25? $20? 15?

Ok, that is enough from me for now. leave any feedback here and I'll do my best to consider every recommendation.

Thanks everyone!

(F) amal (F)

Visited Jordan-December 2004

Interview-December 2005

Visa approved-December 2005, 1 week later after supplying "more information"

Arrived U.S.A.-December 2005

Removed Conditions-September 2008

Divorced in December 2013

lovingmemory.jpgInlovingmemory-2.gifmybabygirl-1-1.jpghenna_rose.jpg37320lovesaved-1.jpg

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: Timeline

:star: Amal you rock girl!! :star:

IMO 15/20 bucks is fair.

As for a name I like:

1) Sultan's Kitchen - A taste of ME/NA

2) A Journey Thru Sultan's Kitchen

OR

If someone could come up with something creative using the words "Passport" or "Visa"....that would be pretty cool too...Not that talented when it comes to funny and catchy...Sorry! LOL Like: 3) Sultan's Kitchen - Your Visa(Passport) To ME/NA Cuisine :P

Thanks for thinking of this...I can't wait!!! :dance: :dance:

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline

Totally love this idea!!! I like Nawal's suggestion: A Journey thru Sultan's Kitchen.

I will send you the recipe for my MIL's Moroccan chicken (unless you want me to post on the thred...let me know!!)

$20.00 is really fair!

Let me know if you need any help.....D-vette (LOL)

The recipes are coming along well. I am not sure who did and who didn't post a copyrighted recipe. What I've done so far is post EXACTLY what was posted in the pinned thread, edit spelling errors (a couple I wasn't sure so I left them exactly as they were), put quotes on some items that the poster originally stated, put the date the recipe was originally posted, and leave the name of the book/chef the recipe was taken from. I think that should be ok, don't you all think?

So far it is only something I'm doing for the MENA forum but I am including all the recipes that were submitted...coz they are recipes that the MENA girls have tried, used, and recommended. I think they might be interesting gifts for relatives and/or co-workers who are interested in MENA recipes and/or other tried and true recipes from ur friends. I've got about 50 or so recipes copied down so far and have only gotten to page 30 of Sultan's Kitchen.

In this thread, I'm looking for ideas for names for the cookbook. I'd like to keep it VJ related coz this is where it began. So far, I've thought about...

Sultan's Kitchen

VJ's MENA Cookbook - Direct from the Sultan's Kitchen

Sultan's Kitchen - A taste of ME/NA

Sultan's Pocket Recipes

These are just some ideas. Please help me out to find the most fun name for our MENA cookbook.

I'd also like to add that I will be adding recipes up until about the 1st week of November so if you have a recipe you want to add, please do so ASAP so I can get it into the book. Whatever recipes you all use a lot in ur homes will be accepted. ME/NA type recipes are, of course, preferred since it IS a MENA cookbook (for the most part)

If you want to quote a recipe from somewhere, please leave the information on who/what/where you got the recipe so credit can be given where credit is due.

I will be using the VJ screen name of the person that posted the recipe AND the date of which it was posted. If you do not want your VJ name used, please let me know so I can change ur name to "unknown".

If you know some ppl that used to play in MENA and are not regular posters anymore, feel free to contact them and see if they'd be interested in a copy as well. I will be needing addresses too but not right now. I'll wait until I'm a bit further with the project before I take that information.

What price would you all feel is fair? $25? $20? 15?

Ok, that is enough from me for now. leave any feedback here and I'll do my best to consider every recommendation.

Thanks everyone!

(F) amal (F)

So far we've got takers on these 2 titles. Any more suggestions?

The cost has been a roaring approval for $20.00 thus far. More thoughts on this are appreciated.

I'm up to around 100 recipes and hubster is currently working for a design for the cover!

If any of you want to post pictures of the foods in Sultan's Kitchen, please feel free to do so and I can put them with the recipes they belong with. Just let me know which post you are adding the picture to. easy peasy!

Any new recipes can be added to the Sultan's Kitchen pinned thread until the cut off date. I'm not sure when that date is yet so POST AWAY until further notice.

Go ahead and post your request for a book in this thread or via pm (pm is probably better so I can save them and keep the best track. If you want more than 1, just tell me the quantity you will be wanting to purchase as there is no limit to the amount of books we can make (as of yet lol). We will be mailing the books to the requestees so I will need to get addresses to send them to.

Don't forget to let me know if you are NOT ok with having your VJ ID posted along with the recipe and I will make sure to put the name as "unknown".

Interview-December 2005

lovingmemory.jpgInlovingmemory-2.gifmybabygirl-1-1.jpghenna_rose.jpg37320lovesaved-1.jpg

Timeline

$15-$20 is definitely fair, I like the names suggested also. If you wanted to add *visa* or *passport* to the name, it could be something like: Passport to the Sultan's Kitchen (Recipes from VJ's ME/NA)

Just a thought. I'll try to get you a pic of my Bstilla (which has gotten rave reviews from all who have used the recipe). You may also use my *real* name if you like (Noura) or my screen id Me~n~Him. Either is fine.

I'll post (or re-post, cuz I don't know if they're there) my recipes for Preserved Lemon, MBP's Harissa, and some other classics that we make at home regularly. Also, the L'Khobz (bread) originally came from either MBP or Bosco, but it's tried & true here! Definitely a keeper! :thumbs:

BJsTm6.png

*No conflict when the flute is playing, for then I see every movement emanates from God's Holy Dance* ~ Hafiz

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Egypt
Timeline

I like the name ideas especially the last one Annie came up with. Lol. And i think 15-20 is fair for a cookbook.

07/21/11 filed AOS off tourist visa

07/28/11 USCIS cashed check

07/30/11 Recieved NOA1 and Biometrics letter

08/24/2011 Biometrics

08/25/2011 RFE sent to us for some info we've already sent in

08/30/2011 sent in the rest of info USCIS asked for

09/13/2011 went to congressman's office to sign papers for expedite of work permit, due to financial hardship

09/15/2011 Work permit expedite approved!! He can finally find a job!

09/24/2011 work permit arrives

09/26/2011 Apply for social security number!

09/30/2011 Letter is sent for interview

11/07/2011 INTERVIEW!!!

Its 2012 and still no approval! Still waiting

01/27/2012 Letter sent stating that file was sent on for more review :(

9iad5hjppr.png

Timeline

Go ahead and use mine and my User ID - no issues here ;)

May 11 '09 - Case Approved 10 yr card in the mail

June - 10 yr card recieved

Feb. 19, 2010 - N-400 Application sent to Phoenix Lockbox

April 3, 2010 - Biometrics

May 17,2010 - Citizenship Test - Minneapolis, MN

July 16, 2010- Retest (writing portion)

October 13, 2010 - Oath Ceremony

Journey Complete!

s-age.png

s-age.png

"Passport to the Sultan's Kitchen (Recipes from VJ's ME/NA)" submitted by Noura. I like that one too!

So now we have :

3) Passport to the Sultan's Kitchen (Recipes from VJ's ME/NA)

$20.00 is still the going price for now

requests for the book from this thread are:

Noura

MrsAmera

Turia

mo&melinda

Henia

HisLittleMasriyah

Q-vette

Nawal

Let me know if I miss anybody

and also, Noura, I don't think I'd recognize you as me~n~him lol. I think I'll stick with Noura :)

Edited by amal

Interview-December 2005

Timeline

I will be interested in getting a copy of the book as well. Love the title ideas and the $20 price tag sounds fare.

P.S. Noura, please make sure that your recipe for the chicken with green olives and french fries is added as well. I made it this weekend and it was huge hit.

DC.

Citizenship (N-400)

09/15/2009 - Application mailed to Texas Lockbox

09/17/2009 - Delivered to the Lockbox

09/21/2009 - Check cashed

09/24/2009 - NOA dated 9/18/09

09/26/2009 - RFE mailed out dated 9/25 (biometrics notice)

10/14/2009 - Biometrics completed

01/01/2010 - finally an update - awaiting interview letter

02/08/2010 - interview (Garden City, NY) -- PASSED

03/03/2010 - Oath Ceremony in Brooklyn

03/13/2010 - U.S. Passport in hand

DONE!!!

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Egypt
Timeline
I will be interested in getting a copy of the book as well. Love the title ideas and the $20 price tag sounds fare.

P.S. Noura, please make sure that your recipe for the chicken with green olives and french fries is added as well. I made it this weekend and it was huge hit.

DC.

Green olives and French fries? Oh Noura would you please PM it to me! I made the b'stilla again for our aniversery, Kamal loves it!

07/21/11 filed AOS off tourist visa

07/28/11 USCIS cashed check

07/30/11 Recieved NOA1 and Biometrics letter

08/24/2011 Biometrics

08/25/2011 RFE sent to us for some info we've already sent in

08/30/2011 sent in the rest of info USCIS asked for

09/13/2011 went to congressman's office to sign papers for expedite of work permit, due to financial hardship

09/15/2011 Work permit expedite approved!! He can finally find a job!

09/24/2011 work permit arrives

09/26/2011 Apply for social security number!

09/30/2011 Letter is sent for interview

11/07/2011 INTERVIEW!!!

Its 2012 and still no approval! Still waiting

01/27/2012 Letter sent stating that file was sent on for more review :(

9iad5hjppr.png

So now we have :

3) Passport to the Sultan's Kitchen (Recipes from VJ's ME/NA)

$20.00 is still the going price for now

Requests for the book from this thread are:

Noura

MrsAmera

Turia

mo&melinda

Henia

HisLittleMasriyah

Q-vette

Nawal

Dorothy

Let me know if I miss anybody

Interview-December 2005

Filed: Country: Morocco
Timeline

I'm not sure I want a copy. When is the date we have to decide by? I've already gone through page by page of the Sultan's Kitchen post and copied the recipes I found interesting a long time ago. But you are welcome to take the recipes I've posted but some are copywrited so....*shrug*

"It's far better to be alone than wish you were." - Ann Landers

world-map.jpg

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.