honey19_sweety28

when to apply a citizenship

19 posts in this topic

its been 8 months now I am waiting for my 10 year green card from the time i submitted my paper works last activity was my biometric last march 2008.

we bought a house last june same location and filed online for change of address but till now we never heard anything or not even get a letter from uscis bout it..is it really like that? or do i need to call them? my next question is my 1 year extension will expire may 2009...can i apply for my citizenship feb. 2009 even i didnt hear from my removal of condition yet? comments and usggestions are appreciated...thanks

DELIGHT YOUR SELF TO THE LORD AND HE WILL GIVE THE DESIRES OF YOUR HEART

I-130 petition for my dad

06-01-2009 package sent

06-10-2009 check cashed

06-13-2009 noa 1 rec'd

09-10-2009 approved

09-25-2009 nvc assign case

10-01-2009 paid AOS fee

10-10-2009 mailed i-864

10-14-2009 paid iv bill

11-01-2009 got rfe

11-09-2009 sent the missing doc

11-28-2009 got email case completed

01-08-2010 interview APPROVED. 01-11-2010 visa on hand

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: China
Timeline

You wont get an notice about AR-11 filing, also did your SPONSOR/SPOUSE file I-865??

If you have a pending I-751, it would be a good idea to call USCIS and confirm address change.

You can file N-400 one year after you filed the I-751 or 90 days before your 3rd year of getting approved for your CR-Green-card, and I-751 does not need to be approved before you file N-400, filing for citizenship tends to jumpstart them on the I-751.

OUR TIME LINE Please do a timeline it helps us all, thanks.

Is now a US Citizen immigration completed Jan 12, 2012.

1428954228.1592.1755425389.png

CHIN0001_zps9c01d045.gifCHIN0100_zps02549215.gifTAIW0001_zps9a9075f1.gifVIET0001_zps0a49d4a7.gif

Look here: A Candle for Love and China Family Visa Forums for Chinese/American relationship,

Visa issues, and lots of info about the Guangzhou and Hong Kong consulate.

You wont get an notice about AR-11 filing, also did your SPONSOR/SPOUSE file I-865??

If you have a pending I-751, it would be a good idea to call USCIS and confirm address change.

You can file N-400 one year after you filed the I-751 or 90 days before your 3rd year of getting approved for your CR-Green-card, and I-751 does not need to be approved before you file N-400, filing for citizenship tends to jumpstart them on the I-751.

thank you...we didnt file I-865 what is that?

06-01-2009 package sent

06-10-2009 check cashed

06-13-2009 noa 1 rec'd

09-10-2009 approved

10-01-2009 paid AOS fee

10-10-2009 mailed i-864

10-14-2009 paid iv bill

11-01-2009 got rfe

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Colombia
Timeline

We had an incident where my son sold an old motorcycle to a college classmate for 50 bucks, the kid never registered the cycle, son just signed over the title. Two years later, he gets a fine from Madison, they found the bike abandoned and hit my kid for a 800 buck fine. He gave the police the name of the kid, but that wasn't good enough for them, they wanted his current address, took us a couple of days to find that. That taught us never to sign over a title that just about everybody does, but to back it up with a notarized bill of sale with full name and current address. The DMV does not warn this, and the police couldn't find anybody if that person was right under there nose. We either had to find him or pay the fine, we found him.

USCIS is that way also, ha can't even find a file on their desk at times. As typical with USCIS forms, they never come out in plain language and state exactly what a form is for. I-865 is such a form, but we all had to sign an I-864 to bring our spouses here, but this form infers that you may have sponsored someone that does not live with you. So as the sponsor, have to tell them exactly where you are.

I am no legal expert on this, but seems that if your spouse is living with you, the AR-11 should be sufficient for an address change, it appears that the I-865 is just to inform the USCIS where you live if you sponsored a person with an I-864 that doesn't live with you, others may want to comment on this. Was told by our attorney to keep a copy of the AR-11 handy in case we move, but he never mentioned the I-865, but I suppose if you are separated or divorced and your spouse is not yet a USC or meets the other conditions for I-864 dependency, you would have to file an I-865 so they can come and get you if your former spouse seeks state or federal aid.

Seems like just about everyone takes the I-751 seriously except the USCIS, still have bad feelings on that event, letting that one year extension expire because of their excessively long uncalled for delays making you panic for an infopass appointment and the like just so you can keep your job. And in many states including ours, keep your driver's license. If you forget to file, you can be deported, if you do file precisely 90 days in advance, get that stupid extension notice that means carrying two pieces of paper with you and you can't lose either one.

Still very bitter about this which is one reason we instantly applied for USC at the very earliest date, and they sure in the hell don't remind you to renew your ten year card, like you have a calendar that goes out that far. I posted my wife's I-751 filing date on our refrigerator door, got tired of looking at it. But after that is was following through, they don't tell you #######, but awfully damn quick to cash your check. Not a damn reason in the world they cannot issue that ten year card that use to be a lifetime card within the 90 days they ask for.

We had an incident where my son sold an old motorcycle to a college classmate for 50 bucks, the kid never registered the cycle, son just signed over the title. Two years later, he gets a fine from Madison, they found the bike abandoned and hit my kid for a 800 buck fine. He gave the police the name of the kid, but that wasn't good enough for them, they wanted his current address, took us a couple of days to find that. That taught us never to sign over a title that just about everybody does, but to back it up with a notarized bill of sale with full name and current address. The DMV does not warn this, and the police couldn't find anybody if that person was right under there nose. We either had to find him or pay the fine, we found him.

USCIS is that way also, ha can't even find a file on their desk at times. As typical with USCIS forms, they never come out in plain language and state exactly what a form is for. I-865 is such a form, but we all had to sign an I-864 to bring our spouses here, but this form infers that you may have sponsored someone that does not live with you. So as the sponsor, have to tell them exactly where you are.

I am no legal expert on this, but seems that if your spouse is living with you, the AR-11 should be sufficient for an address change, it appears that the I-865 is just to inform the USCIS where you live if you sponsored a person with an I-864 that doesn't live with you, others may want to comment on this. Was told by our attorney to keep a copy of the AR-11 handy in case we move, but he never mentioned the I-865, but I suppose if you are separated or divorced and your spouse is not yet a USC or meets the other conditions for I-864 dependency, you would have to file an I-865 so they can come and get you if your former spouse seeks state or federal aid.

Seems like just about everyone takes the I-751 seriously except the USCIS, still have bad feelings on that event, letting that one year extension expire because of their excessively long uncalled for delays making you panic for an infopass appointment and the like just so you can keep your job. And in many states including ours, keep your driver's license. If you forget to file, you can be deported, if you do file precisely 90 days in advance, get that stupid extension notice that means carrying two pieces of paper with you and you can't lose either one.

Still very bitter about this which is one reason we instantly applied for USC at the very earliest date, and they sure in the hell don't remind you to renew your ten year card, like you have a calendar that goes out that far. I posted my wife's I-751 filing date on our refrigerator door, got tired of looking at it. But after that is was following through, they don't tell you #######, but awfully damn quick to cash your check. Not a damn reason in the world they cannot issue that ten year card that use to be a lifetime card within the 90 days they ask for.

thank you very much for the clarification...my hubby and i are living together so i think ar11 is fine it shows the confirmation number in it..we decided if we didnt hear anything by february 08, 90 days before my extension expire I will file for n-400...i hope anyone here tried this kind of arrangement and become a citizen without a problem, please tell me if it is possible

06-01-2009 package sent

06-10-2009 check cashed

06-13-2009 noa 1 rec'd

09-10-2009 approved

10-01-2009 paid AOS fee

10-10-2009 mailed i-864

10-14-2009 paid iv bill

11-01-2009 got rfe

Filed: Other Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

thank you very much for the clarification...my hubby and i are living together so i think ar11 is fine it shows the confirmation number in it..we decided if we didnt hear anything by february 08, 90 days before my extension expire I will file for n-400...i hope anyone here tried this kind of arrangement and become a citizen without a problem, please tell me if it is possible

No you are not fine. Your sponsor must notify USCIS that they have moved. Your husband need to complete the I-865 it is a legal requirment it does not matter if they are living with you or not. The instructions clearly state it should be completed by the sponsor within 30 days of changing address.

Make sure that the USCIS confirms that they have your new address in their system. You don't want your 10yr GC to be missing because USCIS sent it to your old address.

As to filing the N400, as long as you meet the other eligibility requirements, you will be able to file 3 months prior to the 3rd anniversary of you green card even if your I-751 is still pending.

08/17/08: Mailed N400 to TSC

08/19/08: USPS attempted delivery

08/20/08: TSC received N400

08/21/08: TSC cashed check

09/02/08: Received NOA...........Priority date: 08/20/08

..............................................Notice date : 08/22/08

09/02/08: Received Biometrics Notification

09/18/08: Biometrics completed - Charlotte DO

10/24/08: Received Interview Letter

12/08/08: Interview @ 1:00pm. APPROVED!

01/05/09: Oath Ceremony 10:00AM. Now officially a USC!!!

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

01/17/09: Applied for US Passport and passport card

01/28/09: Received US Passport

01/29/09: Received US passport card

01/29/09: Received naturalization certificate back from passport office

Filed: Other Country: Philippines
Timeline
its been 8 months now I am waiting for my 10 year green card from the time i submitted my paper works last activity was my biometric last march 2008.

we bought a house last june same location and filed online for change of address but till now we never heard anything or not even get a letter from uscis bout it..is it really like that? or do i need to call them? my next question is my 1 year extension will expire may 2009...can i apply for my citizenship feb. 2009 even i didnt hear from my removal of condition yet? comments and usggestions are appreciated...thanks

While my case was pending, I filed changed of address both AR11, a call to the USCIS confirming I had I-751 pending at that time and my ex I-865. I received a notice from USCIS about my change of address and the receipt number too. You filed online so did you made a copy of it? Even if your I-751 is pending if you're qualified to file the N400, you can do so. Make sure you are, the fees are non-refundable..

I-R5 at USCIS California Service Center

Consulate: Manila Philippines

5/19/09 Filed I-130 at Chicago Lockbox

5/22/09 USCIS rcvd I-130

6/01/09 Checks cashed

6/03/09 NOA1 rcvd for both parents

8/12/09 Email approval for Dad

8/17/09 Rcvd NOA2 for Dad

8/20/09 Rcvd RFE email for Mom

9/08/09 Email approval for Mom

9/12/09 Rcvd NOA2 for Mom

NVC

8/19/09 NVC rcvd dad's case

9/18/09 NVC rcvd mom's case

9/22/09 Emailed DS3032

9/28/09 Paid AOS/ I-864 fee of $70 for both

10/08/09 rcvd emails: DS3032 accepted

10/08/09 sent I-864

10/09/09 IV bill generated for both cases

10/10/09 Paid IV bill $800 for both

10/13/09 I-864 rcvd by NVC

10/15/09 DS230 mailed to NVC

10/16/09 I-864 accepted & entered into the system

10/19/09 DS230 rcvd by NVC

11/02/09 rcvd checklist emails

11/09/09 sent RFE to NVC via UPS

11/12/09 NVC received RFE

11/19/09 AVR: checklist response rcvd 11/18/09

11/28/09 Log-in failed for both

12/01/09 Case complete as of 11/30/09

12/14/09 rcvd emails of interview date

01/04-05/09 medical @ St.Lukes done

01/11/10 Interview @ USEmbassy Manila 6:30am

Timeline

Strange I was the I-864 sponsor of my wife, but was never made aware of the I-865, sure was about the AR-11. But all that is history now that she is a USC, the AR-11, the I-864, the I-865, the I-90 can all be forgotten. We certainly applied well before her ten year green card came in, was accepted and she is now going on two months as a USC. It's a relief when it's all over, make a poster for your refrigerator door for your earliest application date, have all of your evidence gathered, read the M-476 manual and N-400 instructions, and save up the 675 bucks unless they have yet another fee increase, and get it over with.

yes i filed for citizenship (and am now a citizen) while my I-751 was pending. i had no problems!

Lord blessed be Your name!

K1:

NOA 1 - March 31 2004

NOA 2 - July 7

to Manila - July 30

called embassy for interview date - Aug 17

Recvd K packet - Aug 24

CFO - Sept 7

Medical - Sept 15 & 16

Interview - Oct 8

Visa on hand - Oct 13 YES! thank You God!

POE - October 23

AOS & EAD:

Marriage at the beautiful St. Croix U.S. Virgin Islands - Nov 6

SSN - Nov 29

State ID - Dec 1

AOS & EAD applied for - Dec. 6

NOAs for AOS & EAD - recvd mail on Dec 15 but receipt date is Dec 8

got TD shot for AOS - Dec. 15 paid $15

passd written exam for DL- Jan 03 2005

Biometrics for EAD & AOS - Jan 10

Biometrics AGAIN (???) - Feb 2

EAD recved - Jan 29

recved AOS interview letter - march 2

AOS interview - april 27 SUCCESS!! Thank You so much God! You never fail.

welcome to America letter - may 2

recvd "green" card - may 5 2005

got driver's license - may 20

removing conditions:

lifting of conditions on GC - jan 31 2007

NOA date - february 06

recvd NOA - february 26

recvd biometrics apptmnt letter - march 2

biometrics appt - march 12

citizenship:

sent N-400: february 25, 2008

recved: february 27

priority date: february 27

notice date: march 4

recved NOA1: march 6

recved biometrics letter: march 10

biometrics: march 19

intrvw letter rec'd: april 3

intrvw: may 13 - APPROVED!

Oath - Sept. 17

US Passport - Sept 26

.png

Timeline

yes i filed for citizenship (and am now a citizen) while my I-751 was pending. i had no problems!

Wife uses that word, "pending" quite a bit, I prefer stagnating, decaying, rotting, or lost instead.

Strange I was the I-864 sponsor of my wife, but was never made aware of the I-865,

Yes you were. The I-864 says

Do I Have to Report My Change of Address If I Move?

Federal law requires that every sponsor report every change ofaddress to the USCIS within 30 days of the change. To do this, send a completed Form I-865, Sponsor's Change of Address, to the Service Center having jurisdiction over your new address.

That text appears right on the I-864 instructions, which are part of the I-864 pdf that you download and fill out. You can see it here:

USCIS I-864

Also, note that, just a wee bit above your signature on the I-864, it says:

If you do not file a properly completed Form I-865 within 30 days of any change of address, USCIS may impose a civil fine for your failing to do so.

The requirement for the I-865 is separate from the requirement for the AR-11. If both the sponsor and beneficiary move, they've got to submit both forms, even if they're sharing the same household both before and after the move.

04 Apr, 2004: Got married

05 Apr, 2004: I-130 Sent to CSC

13 Apr, 2004: I-130 NOA 1

19 Apr, 2004: I-129F Sent to MSC

29 Apr, 2004: I-129F NOA 1

13 Aug, 2004: I-130 Approved by CSC

28 Dec, 2004: I-130 Case Complete at NVC

18 Jan, 2005: Got the visa approved in Caracas

22 Jan, 2005: Flew home together! CCS->MIA->SFO

25 May, 2005: I-129F finally approved! We won't pursue it.

8 June, 2006: Our baby girl is born!

24 Oct, 2006: Window for filing I-751 opens

25 Oct, 2006: I-751 mailed to CSC

18 Nov, 2006: I-751 NOA1 received from CSC

30 Nov, 2006: I-751 Biometrics taken

05 Apr, 2007: I-751 approved, card production ordered

23 Jan, 2008: N-400 sent to CSC via certified mail

19 Feb, 2008: N-400 Biometrics taken

27 Mar, 2008: Naturalization interview notice received (NOA2 for N-400)

30 May, 2008: Naturalization interview, passed the test!

17 June, 2008: Naturalization oath notice mailed

15 July, 2008: Naturalization oath ceremony!

16 July, 2008: Registered to vote and applied for US passport

26 July, 2008: US Passport arrived.

Timeline
Strange I was the I-864 sponsor of my wife, but was never made aware of the I-865,

Yes you were. The I-864 says

Do I Have to Report My Change of Address If I Move?

Federal law requires that every sponsor report every change ofaddress to the USCIS within 30 days of the change. To do this, send a completed Form I-865, Sponsor's Change of Address, to the Service Center having jurisdiction over your new address.

That text appears right on the I-864 instructions, which are part of the I-864 pdf that you download and fill out. You can see it here:

USCIS I-864

Also, note that, just a wee bit above your signature on the I-864, it says:

If you do not file a properly completed Form I-865 within 30 days of any change of address, USCIS may impose a civil fine for your failing to do so.

The requirement for the I-865 is separate from the requirement for the AR-11. If both the sponsor and beneficiary move, they've got to submit both forms, even if they're sharing the same household both before and after the move.

See you also had a long timeframe with the I-751, completely forgot about that section in the I-864 instructions, it wasn't a very comforting form to read, kind of like sticking your head in a guillotine. Ha, did put a note on my refrigerator door in case we moved, but didn't for the I-865, but no problem, never moved.

But probably would have if I recalled the I-865, first, I have this insatiable urge to fill out forms, and second and most important, the filing charge for the I-865 is $0.00, you don't see very many USCIS forms with a zero dollar filing fee.

Shame the USCIS doesn't print out a huge poster in red print with all the things you have to do, really have to dig deep to find this stuff. Like they are trying their best to hang you.

Shame the USCIS doesn't print out a huge poster in red print with all the things you have to do, really have to dig deep to find this stuff. Like they are trying their best to hang you.

It would be nice if they highlighted the important stuff.

Problem is, there's too much important stuff to highlight. And if everything is highlighted, the result is that nothing stands out.

Furthermore, some of it only becomes important under some circumstances. In our case, we didn't move between the first visa and the final citizenship oath, so the I-865 wasn't something we needed to know about in our circumstances. So they shouldn't have highlighted the I-865 for us, but for others, it deserves more emphasis. And on the day they fill out the I-864, many people don't know whether or not they'll be moving before the I-864 terminates.

It's like tax forms. I wish they'd make a form that highlights all the deductions I qualify for, and leaves out all the stuff that doesn't apply to my situation, so I know what to skip over. But they're not going to do that.

04 Apr, 2004: Got married

05 Apr, 2004: I-130 Sent to CSC

13 Apr, 2004: I-130 NOA 1

19 Apr, 2004: I-129F Sent to MSC

29 Apr, 2004: I-129F NOA 1

13 Aug, 2004: I-130 Approved by CSC

28 Dec, 2004: I-130 Case Complete at NVC

18 Jan, 2005: Got the visa approved in Caracas

22 Jan, 2005: Flew home together! CCS->MIA->SFO

25 May, 2005: I-129F finally approved! We won't pursue it.

8 June, 2006: Our baby girl is born!

24 Oct, 2006: Window for filing I-751 opens

25 Oct, 2006: I-751 mailed to CSC

18 Nov, 2006: I-751 NOA1 received from CSC

30 Nov, 2006: I-751 Biometrics taken

05 Apr, 2007: I-751 approved, card production ordered

23 Jan, 2008: N-400 sent to CSC via certified mail

19 Feb, 2008: N-400 Biometrics taken

27 Mar, 2008: Naturalization interview notice received (NOA2 for N-400)

30 May, 2008: Naturalization interview, passed the test!

17 June, 2008: Naturalization oath notice mailed

15 July, 2008: Naturalization oath ceremony!

16 July, 2008: Registered to vote and applied for US passport

26 July, 2008: US Passport arrived.

thanks for all the input i just called the uscis they told me that i only have to do is filed the ar11 online then after that look at the lower right corner it will i ask me if i have a pending application and what is it I-751 put my receipt number and new address, then lady said to call back again after 2-3days to make sure I am on the system. my mistake was i just filed the ar11 i didnt read the choices below if i have a pending application or not...she said it has two different system ar11 and my pending application... and wait for the confirmation number in my mail box... That's all

06-01-2009 package sent

06-10-2009 check cashed

06-13-2009 noa 1 rec'd

09-10-2009 approved

10-01-2009 paid AOS fee

10-10-2009 mailed i-864

10-14-2009 paid iv bill

11-01-2009 got rfe

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.