Needhelpp

Greencard divorce

5 posts in this topic

Filed: Other Timeline

Hi everyone:

I am confused about greencard divorce. I got my GC in April 2008 for 10 years to 2018. Recently, my husband wants a divorce. How will this affect my GC status if I get a divorce since I only got my GC 6 months ago. Does it have any bearing in my status since my GC is so new? I have been married for almost 4 years. We have no kids but have properties together.

Also, do I need an immigration attorney or a regular divorce attorney will be enough?

Please help.

Thanks.

Filed: Other Country: Philippines
Timeline
Hi everyone:

I am confused about greencard divorce. I got my GC in April 2008 for 10 years to 2018. Recently, my husband wants a divorce. How will this affect my GC status if I get a divorce since I only got my GC 6 months ago. Does it have any bearing in my status since my GC is so new? I have been married for almost 4 years. We have no kids but have properties together.

Also, do I need an immigration attorney or a regular divorce attorney will be enough?

Please help.

Thanks.

I'm a little confused about your timeline, How did you get married four years ago and just now get the GC? Doesn't really matter though.

As I understand it, there is little anyone can do to you once the Conditional Status is removed. You are a LPR. As long as you maintain/renew that status, or become a Citizen, you are legal. It's all in your hands. It doesn't remove the legal obligations of the I-864 from your husband. But that's not really your problem either...

Regards,

Filed: Other Timeline

Thanks for your help. It took USCIS over a year to process my GC after the conditional 2 years.

Hope you have a good day.

Hi everyone:

Please help.

Thanks.

I'm a little confused about your timeline, How did you get married four years ago and just now get the GC? Doesn't really matter though.

As I understand it, there is little anyone can do to you once the Conditional Status is removed. You are a LPR. As long as you maintain/renew that status, or become a Citizen, you are legal. It's all in your hands. It doesn't remove the legal obligations of the I-864 from your husband. But that's not really your problem either...

Regards,

Hi everyone:

Please help.

Thanks.

Regards,

OP has successfuly removed conditions to residency, and has her 10 year greencard....the timeline is right. The OP is now a Permanent Resident, not an LPR.

Needhelp, the divorce, if it comes to that has no bearing whatsoever on your residency status. You will need a divorce attorney to handle the legal aspects of the divorce and property divisions, but you do not need an immigration attorney unless and/or if you get ready to apply for US citizenship. You will be eligible to apply for after you've reached 5 years of residency. (This is calculated from the date shown on your greencard...5 years from the date you became a resident). If you remain married you are eligible to apply for citizenship 3 years after the date you become a resident, but that does not apply to you as you're divorcing. So just a bit of a longer wait, otherwise the divorce doesn't affect your GC status.

good luck,

-P

funny-dog-pictures-wtf.jpg

The OP is now a Permanent Resident, not an LPR.

The OP is both a Permanent Resident and an LPR (Legal Permanent Resident) and has been both since the approval of the conditional permanent residence, but no longer has conditions associated with the LPR status.

05/16/2005 I-129F Sent

05/28/2005 I-129F NOA1

06/21/2005 I-129F NOA2

07/18/2005 Consulate Received package from NVC

11/09/2005 Medical

11/16/2005 Interview APPROVED

12/05/2005 Visa received

12/07/2005 POE Minneapolis

12/17/2005 Wedding

12/20/2005 Applied for SSN

01/14/2005 SSN received in the mail

02/03/2006 AOS sent (Did not apply for EAD or AP)

02/09/2006 NOA

02/16/2006 Case status Online

05/01/2006 Biometrics Appt.

07/12/2006 AOS Interview APPROVED

07/24/2006 GC arrived

05/02/2007 Driver's License - Passed Road Test!

05/27/2008 Lifting of Conditions sent (TSC > VSC)

06/03/2008 Check Cleared

07/08/2008 INFOPASS (I-551 stamp)

07/08/2008 Driver's License renewed

04/20/2009 Lifting of Conditions approved

04/28/2009 Card received in the mail

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.