babybunny

YESTERDAY MY HONEY SHOULD ARRIVE, but he did not!!!!

179 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

are you actully saying that NO ONE can have a legal marriage in your country?

well better run to the embassy let all the CR1 and K-3 folks know the news.

They think K-1 is faster.

What? My country is America.

I did not and do not think the K-1 is faster. The K-3 was my first choice and was the plan when we went to Egypt for our wedding but the hassle with the Egyptian government took way too long and neither one of us could stay in Egypt for such a long time to get that taken care of. We were going to get our marriage certificate there and file DCF before I left to come back to America because we were told that would be the fastest way to do it but there was too much red tape to cut through there so I came home without a marriage license and had to file for K-1 since we weren't "legally" married. I don't know where you got that I said that no one in America can have a legal marriage.

you implied that getting a legal marriage is not exsitant in the country your SO is located. :huh:

shon.gif

• Replies 178
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I did not and do not think the K-1 is faster. The K-3 was my first choice and was the plan when we went to Egypt for our wedding but the hassle with the Egyptian government took way too long and neither one of us could stay in Egypt for such a long time to get that taken care of. We were going to get our marriage certificate there and file DCF before I left to come back to America because we were told that would be the fastest way to do it but there was too much red tape to cut through there so I came home without a marriage license and had to file for K-1 since we weren't "legally" married. I don't know where you got that I said that no one in America can have a legal marriage.

you implied that getting a legal marriage is not exsitant in the country your SO is located. :huh:

Nope. I said that it was too much of a pain for us. Neither one of us are Egyptian nationals and that made it more difficult for us. :star:

Nope. I said that it was too much of a pain for us. Neither one of us are Egyptian nationals and that made it more difficult for us. :star:

understandable for sure! I dont blame you for that. :yes:

how about the FLIP side..

There is a lady that got married in Korea. religous ceremony. USICS said her marriage was not valid.

she tried to apply for the k-3. USICS said she had to apply for the K-1. you know this girl right?

Cindishah. yall rember her? she is a prime example of the process taking her 4 years to sort out.

shon.gif

There is a lady that got married in Korea. religous ceremony. USICS said her marriage was not valid.

she tried to apply for the k-3. USICS said she had to apply for the K-1. you know this girl right?

Cindishah. yall rember her? she is a prime example of the process taking her 4 years to sort out.

and that would be the reason for me applying for K-1 now instead of K-3 :yes:

I wish the original plan would have worked out because I'm pretty sure he'd be here already. Oh well, nothing can do about it now but wait.

I still think it's pretty crappy what happened to this poster's husband/fiance. I hope she gets it worked out and he gets here soon. I know it must be terribly hard for her to have been so close to lose it now. And to make things worse I read that after all the horrible comments here she's not coming back here anymore? So sad.

I wish the original plan would have worked out because I'm pretty sure he'd be here already. Oh well, nothing can do about it now but wait.

I still think it's pretty crappy what happened to this poster's husband/fiance. I hope she gets it worked out and he gets here soon. I know it must be terribly hard for her to have been so close to lose it now. And to make things worse I read that after all the horrible comments here she's not coming back here anymore? So sad.

I don't think there have been any horrible comments made here, the topic may be difficult for her to discuss, due to the piqued emotions at this time. If goldenheart chooses not to continue her membership, it will be a shame.

"diaddie mermaid"

You can 'catch' me on here and on FBI.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Germany
Timeline

I don't think there have been any horrible comments made here, the topic may be difficult for her to discuss, due to the piqued emotions at this time. If goldenheart chooses not to continue her membership, it will be a shame.

Hello All,

I must agree that my emotions are very high at this moment. I want to thank all of you that have provided your inputs and I truly appreciate it.

I share my story with you because I do not want for any of you to endure the hardship that I have. I would not wish this pain on anyone.

To the Muslimahs: It is your preference if you choose to file the K1 or K3, however, I know we are restricted from meeting the man prior to marriage, however, it is better for you to marry and than file. I was placed in a situation where the Imam told me that I could not register my Islamic Ceremony because my fiance was not in the country to sign the certificate. He told me that the ceremony was NOT honored in the USA. The ceremony was only proof in front of witnesses that if I became pregnant during my travel to Germany, my fiance/husband could not refute that he was the father of the child. It was sort of a protection plan for the woman's honor.

The Imam never gave me any more information about this. I was under the belief and still is that I am not legally married.

Eventhough my emotions are high at this moment, I must focus on what needs to be done to get my honey back home. I will continue to accept advice from anyone that is willing to provide it to me. Please PM me.

Again, Thank you all and may God Bless you!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Egypt
Timeline

I dont get religous marriage not being real. please please explain this. its a hard concept really. why profess your love to god. but call it not real? is it not real because, its not registared? please explain this..

Every couple has a different reason for their visa choices. Our marriage was real in the sense that we committed ourselves in front of God to be husband and wife. But, getting legally married in Egypt was very difficult time wise and parentwise (parents would have basically disowned me if we had done anything legally binding). So, because we couldn't in good concious live together before marriage, we were religiously married, but choice to be legally married in the US to honor my parents.

must be a culture thing.

your parents would have disowned you for your marriage being legal. then you legally married in the US to honor my parents ? :unsure:

This is a prime example as to those comming here on K-1 saying they are not married!

Not legally married no, but religiously married yes. The K-1 visa is for people who wish to legally marry in the United States. The advice I received from a lawyer (through a well known immigration book) at the beginning of our visa journey was that there was a distinct difference between the two and that all the INS (at the time) cared about was that we weren't legally married. We weren't.

The circumstances surrounding our choices are complex, but sufice to say, we made the right choice, didn't do anything to break our religious sensibilities and managed to keep my parents from going postal on us. Mission accomplished :thumbs:

10/14/05 - married AbuS in the US lovehusband.gif

02/23/08 - Filed for removal of conditions.

Sometime in 2008 - Received 10 year GC. Almost done with USCIS for life inshaAllah! Huzzah!

12/07/08 - Adopted the fuzzy feline love of my life, my Squeaky baby th_catcrazy.gif

02/23/09 - Apply for citizenship

06/15/09 - Citizenship interview

07/15/09 - Citizenship ceremony. Alhamdulilah, the US now has another american muslim!

irhal.jpg

online rihla - on the path of the Beloved with a fat cat as a copilot

These comments, information and photos may not be reused, reposted, or republished anywhere without express written permission from UmmSqueakster.

Filed: Country: United Kingdom
Timeline
I will continue to accept advice from anyone that is willing to provide it to me. Please PM me.

Based on the misinformation that frequently gets passed around, it's a better policy to not solicit or accept immigration advice in private message or email. At least when it's posted on the board it can be corrected if needed, and it provides valuable information for other readers.

Now That You Are A Permanent Resident

How Do I Remove The Conditions On Permanent Residence Based On Marriage?

Welcome to the United States: A Guide For New Immigrants

Yes, even this last one.. stuff in there that not even your USC knows.....

Here are more links that I love:

Arriving in America, The POE Drill

Dual Citizenship FAQ

Other Fora I Post To:

alt.visa.us.marriage-based http://britishexpats.com/ and www.***removed***.com

censored link = *family based immigration* website

Inertia. Is that the Greek god of 'can't be bothered'?

Met, married, immigrated, naturalized.

I-130 filed Aug02

USC Jul06

No Deje Piedras Sobre El Pavimento!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Algeria
Timeline

I told Hachemi about goldenheart's situation and it has worried him so much. He started calling me his wife soon after we fell in love and knew we wanted to be together. I know it is a cultural thing. And since I have told him this, he has not called me his wife. I guess he is trying not to call me his wife to prepare for his interview. When I went to Algeria the first time, I had intentions to get legally married, but the hoops you had to jump through to get a license was so time consuming and I was not going to be there that long. We did the religous ceremony just so we could be together alone. I have no papers to say we are married in Islam and in Algeria you do the religous and then the civil to get the legal document. In Algeria the religous marriage is not recongnized without the civil one. He also had to get a document of no marriage for the interview. He had to go to the public office and get a certified document from them that he has never applied for marriage and also had to have two witness sign it and it was certified.

Goldenheart. I pray for you everyday. I hope this will be over soon. Please keep us informed. I want to thank you for sharing your story. I am sure it will help so many people as it did us. Stay stong, Inshaallah, you fiance will be with you soon.

Meriem (F)

glitterfy200428648Z.gif

I think someone said it takes like 45 days to get married in Morrocco. :huh: that is along time. whew.

in PK it took me 6 days to get married. I had to go to court 2 times.

one we did the marriage ceremony it took 1 day to get the papers registared and legalized.

it was alot of running around in circles for sure. :yes:

shon.gif

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Germany
Timeline

UPDATE!!!!

Remember when I said my fiance english was not so good? Well, after the shock has calm down a bit I finally got the full picture of what occured that day.

He said he entered Atlanta POE and walk through the NON-USC line. He gave them his passport and brown envelope. They asked him his reasons for entering USA. He said, to get married to my fiance. They said ok. Go downstairs.

Downstairs...they question him again. Why do you want to enter USA? .He replied, to get married to my fiance. They asked generic questions (i.e. name, age, address, etc). They then told him to sign a paper to go back to Germany. He said, Why would I do that? They said, because we told you to do so and it is better for you to sign this. He ask them again, Why are you not allowing me to enter? They replied, we are doing our job and just sign the paper. He refused. So they put him in jail over night.

The next morning they got him out of the jail and asked him if he was ready to sign the papers. At this time he was confused, exhausted and desperate. He cried out, that his fiance will kill him if he go back to Germany. They asked him why? It was then he told them that he has made a commitment to marry me. He explain to them that in Islam you have to perform a ceremony to request the woman's hand in marriage. He said that it is not a legal ceremony, but it is necessary to be alone with a woman. He told them that in his religion and culture I'm considered his wife and he can't turn his back on me. He told them that he made the committment to me in March 2005 and it is a must he follow through with the committment. They then told him to go back into the detention center and 5 hours later he was on a plane headed back to Germany.

The deportation papers states that he was deported because he disclosed that he was already Islamically married. It also states that Yasin had a wedding band and a receipt of the wedding band purchase on his person which is dated March 2005. This is a lie, because I have the reciept in my photo album and the wedding bands were purchased in April. I seriously doubt the reason for his deportation is the fact he told them about the islamic ceremony. Because Yasin said they wanted him to leave before he told them about the ceremony. If they thought he was a bad person, why not put this on the deportation papers.

I share this story with you because, it does not matter what your fiance say (fiance or wife), the law is written that it is the discreation of the POE if they want the immigrant to enter the USA or not. I'm now face with a different situation, should I spend money on an attorney to have this happen to him again. Because if there was other reasons for deportation it will come out through other avenues, such as, denying his AOS application etc... Right now I'm thinking the best option is to move to another country.

It is a shame for me, because I served my country from the age of 19-32. Most of my time was served as an active duty member in the U.S. Air Force . While I was in the military I became disable with a lower back injury. It really place a deep pain in my heart that the same country I shared so much of my life with would punish me because I choose to marry a non-USC.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Algeria
Timeline

Wow, that is so not right! They had already decided to send him back. Why in the world would they do this? Please dont give up on getting him here. I am hoping the attorney can help him. Thanks for the update.

Meriem (F)

glitterfy200428648Z.gif

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline

I am so sorry to hear this. I hope that no matter what you choose to do that you are happy and together with your fiance. I am truly sorry for the pain you have gone through and I hope the best for you both.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.