WhidbeyGirl

How much $

82 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: Nigeria
Timeline

I took $1,000 to Nigeria and left another $1,000 with a friend and another $1,000 with my mom.

I ended up spending $1,500 for a 10 day trip.

I rented a villa with a driver for 3 days. The other days I stayed at a pre-reserved hotel and my Fiance paid a few days when unexpected things popped up. I.E. on a Saturday there was an election (we didn't know about) which put everyone on lockdown until after 4pm. No buses, taxis...anyting. This was the same day we had to check out of the villa. We had to find a hotel that morning and it was not budgeted for. He paid. He also paid for the hotel on the day I missed my flight. His family paid for airline tickets to his town when we had to leave one day late (approx. $400USD). He also paid for a lot of things too. All in all, I believe my fiance and his family spent approx. $1,500 for this trip as well.

I ate fast food everyday. This adds up quickly. IMO, it was 2tx more expensive than US fast food. I ate at his family's house 2 days but we still ate fast food on those days. IMO, Nigeria was not cheap. Things were a bit cheaper outside of Lagos. I did little shopping.

The big whammy came when I missed my flight on my return and I had to pay nearly $600 to change my flight. I paid on my debit card.

Just be prepared.

Edited by imac

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Guinea
Timeline

Hi WB:

It looks like you got some great suggestions. I posted this on another topic I was reading first but I'll put it here too (sorry, a little behind the 8-ball so to speak).

I have been in and out of the Dakar airport (which is actually in N'Gor) a few times and can offer you a few suggestions.

Airport: You'll have to take a bus from the plane to the terminal. You'll need to fill out a quick little form for entry and they will definately ask you where you are staying. I've always flown in at 5am so baggage claim is pretty much deserted. Depending on when you are flying in it might be a crazy scene so be ready for that. The first time I flew into Conakry, Guinea I just about had a heart attack it was so crazy! At baggage claim, the men will descend upon you to help you with your baggage. The first time I went into that airport I accepted the help but then the guy argued with me that my 2000CFA ($5) tip wasn't enough! Are you kidding me? That's food for a day for you to push a cart 100 yards. Now, I always politely decline but they are pretty persistant. The last time I went, some guy grabbed the handle of my suitcase and would not let go. I was almost outside the airport, walking, holding onto my suitcase, he was holding on too, and I was saying No, sil vu plait NO, merci, NO and then my fiance came over and he let go. Also, before you exit the airport you will need to put your bags through an x-ray machine, and the guards may or may not ask you to open your bags. I try to look confident and so far they have not asked me to open my bags.

Money: I would advise against wiring yourself money or bringing traveler's cheques. Take crisp, new $100 bills with you to exchange at the airport and carry them in a moneybelt under your clothes. They will see you coming from a mile away and will try to take advantage of you. Be prepared and don't let them! The first thing to be aware of is that they will try and give you a crappy exchange rate. The exchange rate right now is about 443CFA for $1 but it fluxuates. Before you go, check the internet for the most current exchange rate and be firm in your negotiations. The other thing they will try to do is take a commission. The first time this happened to me I couldn't believe it. We exchanged $800 for the month I and they tried to take almost $250 in "commission!" I could not believe it. We were counting the money and I said c'est tu? Ehhh, NO. I seriously thought my fiance was going to blow a gasket as they don't even try that in Guinea. You might have to haggle for a while but you can get a fair exchange rate without them taking commission. If you go to the bank to exchange money, you will not be able to negotiate the rate and they will take a commission. Do it at the airport, and be confident and firm. It will be very helpful if you understand French numbers.

Taxis: Negotiate! Your SO should negotiate on your behalf and I'm sure he understands that when they see you coming they will jack up the rates. You should be able to get a taxi from the airport to the embassy for about 2000CFA ($5) and it's about a 20-30 minute ride depending on traffic.

Point of interest: There is a very large and very beautiful mosque on the beach on the way to the embassy. It's really quite breathtaking.

Market: I know you mentioned your funds are limited, but if you go to the market, once again be prepared to negotiate. We automatically cut any given price in half. You can get 6 meters of cotton wax print fabric for 4000CFA, but when you ask they'll first tell you 8000CFA. If you buy nothing else, you should find a good tailor and have one embroidered outfit to bring home with you. (I posted this before but it looks like your SO is having outfits made for you so that is very nice!) PM me and I can send you some photos of the outfits I've had made. The most expensive outfit I have is my wedding outfit, it's embroidered high quality bazan (cotton w/ a subtle design woven in) and the total cost was about $40.

Side note: While you are there you should pick up a couple of the calling cards to call visa services at the embassy. Your fiance will need that card to make his appointment for his interview when the time comes.

Clothing: I was only in Dakar/N'Gor and did not travel to the interior but I mainly wear tank tops and lappas (long wrap skirts). You can go to JoAnn's and pick up 2 yards of quilter's batik to wrap as a skirt. I cannot bear to cover my arms in that heat and I don't cover my head either. In Guinea I dress the same. You've already received good advice, at the very least keep your legs from the knee up covered. The only sun-screen I've found to be sweatproof is No-Ad. I live in Vermont so I too have a difficult time with the heat. Make sure you have good sunglasses.

Mosquitoes: When I was in Guinea I was eaten alive, it looked like a rash! In Senegal not so much, but again I never went to the interior. You might want to consider a malaria medication. I took Malarone and my insurance covered it. At the very least, bring some deet. A mosquito net is a good idea if it's possible.

Insurance: You should definately purchase at least a travel medical plan. You can typically get really good coverage for a $30 or $40 premium. I use American Express travel insurance. In Guinea I burned my leg on a motorcycle and was really happy I had the medical coverage because it got infected. Er... good idea to wear jeans if travelling by motorcycle but it's so damn hot!

Budget: If your SO is taking care of the expenses, I think a budget of $20 for your own personal expenses is a good plan. You probably won't be able to use a credit card outside of Dakar but it's good to have one just in case. As a point of reference, we pay 70,000CFA a month for my fiance's room, which is in a private house and he has his own bathroom. You can get lodging for more or less depending on where you are. A lot of people say "well the MAN needs to pay for everything" but I totally disagree. As Zee said, everybody's situation is different. I pay for everything because my SO comes from a family who has absolutely NOTHING. He contributes in other ways (like waiting on my hand and foot when I'm in Africa and massaging my feet after dance class). Just take care of each other in whatever ways work for you.

Food: Restaurants are really expensive and I find the food to be not worth the expense. I budget about 5000CFA ($12) a day for us both to eat. We don't always use that much, sometimes we use more. We stay in N'Gor and eat street food served in little "tent" restaurants, things like omelet sandwiches, rice and sauce, roasted chicken with onions and french fries, or sometimes a beef sandwich. You can get a bowl of rice and sauce that will serve two for about 500CFA. Cold drinks cost that much too, sometimes more depending on where you buy them. I've never had any problems eating meat over there because they cook it to oblivion. I'll eat fruits and veggies while I'm there but if I can't cook or peel it then I wash it with a mixture of bottled water and a little tiny bit of bleach. If you use too much bleach you can taste it, all you need is a little splash to kill any critters that might be lurking. The mangos are huge! Enjoy the tea. They cook green tea with spearmint and lots of sugar, then they shake it so it gets foamy on top. So nice! I also love cafe touba, it's coffee with some sort of funky sweetness. I don't know what they call them in Senegal, but there are two drinks in little baggies that are usually cold and just heavenly. One is made from hibiscus flowers and sugar and it's deep red (in Guinea they call it bisap) and the other is orange and made from sugar and ginger root (they call it ginga in Guinea). Some might warn you about drinking ginga because the water is not boiled, but I believe the ginger kills anything harmful and I've never had a problem drinking it. Oh and they let eggs sit out and don't refrigerate them, so don't eat eggs that have already been hardboiled and sitting out.

Gifts: I think it would be a good idea to show up with small gifts for your SO and his family. You don't need to spend a lot and they are always so appreciative. I usually take T-shirts with some sort of logo for the guys (get at Kohl's for $5) and small purses, perfume, or earrings for the girls. Little toys pour les petites. Wal-Mart!

Please feel free to PM me if you have any questions about the trip or the embassy. I'm going back Dec 17th but I'm not sure if I'll be in Guinea or Senegal. We've been on AP for six months and if my fiance's clearance comes through before then we're going to Guinea. If not, we're staying in N'Gor.

Bon voyage ma soeur!

Merci WonTanNara.

Everything everyone has said has be so valuable!

VISA JOURNEY

USCIS Journey

02/23/09 ............I-130 sent

03/27/09.............NOA2

TOTAL 32 DAYS

NVC Journey

04/15/09.............Case # Assigned

07/10/09.............Interview assigned

TOTAL 105 DAYS

Embassy Journey

07/14/09.............Forward the case to Embassy in Dakar, Senegal

09/28/09.............Visa in Hand

TOTAL 80 DAYS

VISA GRAND TOTAL 217 DAYS

US CITIZENSHIP JOURNEY

Conditional Resident Journey

09/29/09.............POE New York PIECE OF CAKE!!!

10/27/09.............2 year Green card received

TOTAL 29 DAYS

Removal of Conditions Journey

07/18/11.............I-751 packet sent

03/23/12............10yr GC Received

TOTAL 249 DAYS

Naturalization Journey

07/03/12.............N-400 packet sent

07/23/12.............Resent N-400 packet (husband FORGOT check!)

08/23/12.............Biometrics done

09/12/12.............Interview letter received

10/16/12.............Interview scheduled

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline
Hi WB:

It looks like you got some great suggestions. I posted this on another topic I was reading first but I'll put it here too (sorry, a little behind the 8-ball so to speak).

I have been in and out of the Dakar airport (which is actually in N'Gor) a few times and can offer you a few suggestions.

Airport: You'll have to take a bus from the plane to the terminal. You'll need to fill out a quick little form for entry and they will definately ask you where you are staying. I've always flown in at 5am so baggage claim is pretty much deserted. Depending on when you are flying in it might be a crazy scene so be ready for that. The first time I flew into Conakry, Guinea I just about had a heart attack it was so crazy! At baggage claim, the men will descend upon you to help you with your baggage. The first time I went into that airport I accepted the help but then the guy argued with me that my 2000CFA ($5) tip wasn't enough! Are you kidding me? That's food for a day for you to push a cart 100 yards. Now, I always politely decline but they are pretty persistant. The last time I went, some guy grabbed the handle of my suitcase and would not let go. I was almost outside the airport, walking, holding onto my suitcase, he was holding on too, and I was saying No, sil vu plait NO, merci, NO and then my fiance came over and he let go. Also, before you exit the airport you will need to put your bags through an x-ray machine, and the guards may or may not ask you to open your bags. I try to look confident and so far they have not asked me to open my bags.

Money: I would advise against wiring yourself money or bringing traveler's cheques. Take crisp, new $100 bills with you to exchange at the airport and carry them in a moneybelt under your clothes. They will see you coming from a mile away and will try to take advantage of you. Be prepared and don't let them! The first thing to be aware of is that they will try and give you a crappy exchange rate. The exchange rate right now is about 443CFA for $1 but it fluxuates. Before you go, check the internet for the most current exchange rate and be firm in your negotiations. The other thing they will try to do is take a commission. The first time this happened to me I couldn't believe it. We exchanged $800 for the month I and they tried to take almost $250 in "commission!" I could not believe it. We were counting the money and I said c'est tu? Ehhh, NO. I seriously thought my fiance was going to blow a gasket as they don't even try that in Guinea. You might have to haggle for a while but you can get a fair exchange rate without them taking commission. If you go to the bank to exchange money, you will not be able to negotiate the rate and they will take a commission. Do it at the airport, and be confident and firm. It will be very helpful if you understand French numbers.

Taxis: Negotiate! Your SO should negotiate on your behalf and I'm sure he understands that when they see you coming they will jack up the rates. You should be able to get a taxi from the airport to the embassy for about 2000CFA ($5) and it's about a 20-30 minute ride depending on traffic.

Point of interest: There is a very large and very beautiful mosque on the beach on the way to the embassy. It's really quite breathtaking.

Market: I know you mentioned your funds are limited, but if you go to the market, once again be prepared to negotiate. We automatically cut any given price in half. You can get 6 meters of cotton wax print fabric for 4000CFA, but when you ask they'll first tell you 8000CFA. If you buy nothing else, you should find a good tailor and have one embroidered outfit to bring home with you. (I posted this before but it looks like your SO is having outfits made for you so that is very nice!) PM me and I can send you some photos of the outfits I've had made. The most expensive outfit I have is my wedding outfit, it's embroidered high quality bazan (cotton w/ a subtle design woven in) and the total cost was about $40.

Side note: While you are there you should pick up a couple of the calling cards to call visa services at the embassy. Your fiance will need that card to make his appointment for his interview when the time comes.

Clothing: I was only in Dakar/N'Gor and did not travel to the interior but I mainly wear tank tops and lappas (long wrap skirts). You can go to JoAnn's and pick up 2 yards of quilter's batik to wrap as a skirt. I cannot bear to cover my arms in that heat and I don't cover my head either. In Guinea I dress the same. You've already received good advice, at the very least keep your legs from the knee up covered. The only sun-screen I've found to be sweatproof is No-Ad. I live in Vermont so I too have a difficult time with the heat. Make sure you have good sunglasses.

Mosquitoes: When I was in Guinea I was eaten alive, it looked like a rash! In Senegal not so much, but again I never went to the interior. You might want to consider a malaria medication. I took Malarone and my insurance covered it. At the very least, bring some deet. A mosquito net is a good idea if it's possible.

Insurance: You should definately purchase at least a travel medical plan. You can typically get really good coverage for a $30 or $40 premium. I use American Express travel insurance. In Guinea I burned my leg on a motorcycle and was really happy I had the medical coverage because it got infected. Er... good idea to wear jeans if travelling by motorcycle but it's so damn hot!

Budget: If your SO is taking care of the expenses, I think a budget of $20 for your own personal expenses is a good plan. You probably won't be able to use a credit card outside of Dakar but it's good to have one just in case. As a point of reference, we pay 70,000CFA a month for my fiance's room, which is in a private house and he has his own bathroom. You can get lodging for more or less depending on where you are. A lot of people say "well the MAN needs to pay for everything" but I totally disagree. As Zee said, everybody's situation is different. I pay for everything because my SO comes from a family who has absolutely NOTHING. He contributes in other ways (like waiting on my hand and foot when I'm in Africa and massaging my feet after dance class). Just take care of each other in whatever ways work for you.

Food: Restaurants are really expensive and I find the food to be not worth the expense. I budget about 5000CFA ($12) a day for us both to eat. We don't always use that much, sometimes we use more. We stay in N'Gor and eat street food served in little "tent" restaurants, things like omelet sandwiches, rice and sauce, roasted chicken with onions and french fries, or sometimes a beef sandwich. You can get a bowl of rice and sauce that will serve two for about 500CFA. Cold drinks cost that much too, sometimes more depending on where you buy them. I've never had any problems eating meat over there because they cook it to oblivion. I'll eat fruits and veggies while I'm there but if I can't cook or peel it then I wash it with a mixture of bottled water and a little tiny bit of bleach. If you use too much bleach you can taste it, all you need is a little splash to kill any critters that might be lurking. The mangos are huge! Enjoy the tea. They cook green tea with spearmint and lots of sugar, then they shake it so it gets foamy on top. So nice! I also love cafe touba, it's coffee with some sort of funky sweetness. I don't know what they call them in Senegal, but there are two drinks in little baggies that are usually cold and just heavenly. One is made from hibiscus flowers and sugar and it's deep red (in Guinea they call it bisap) and the other is orange and made from sugar and ginger root (they call it ginga in Guinea). Some might warn you about drinking ginga because the water is not boiled, but I believe the ginger kills anything harmful and I've never had a problem drinking it. Oh and they let eggs sit out and don't refrigerate them, so don't eat eggs that have already been hardboiled and sitting out.

Gifts: I think it would be a good idea to show up with small gifts for your SO and his family. You don't need to spend a lot and they are always so appreciative. I usually take T-shirts with some sort of logo for the guys (get at Kohl's for $5) and small purses, perfume, or earrings for the girls. Little toys pour les petites. Wal-Mart!

Please feel free to PM me if you have any questions about the trip or the embassy. I'm going back Dec 17th but I'm not sure if I'll be in Guinea or Senegal. We've been on AP for six months and if my fiance's clearance comes through before then we're going to Guinea. If not, we're staying in N'Gor.

Bon voyage ma soeur!

Oh how I LOVE Bissap.....

I fell in LOVE with this "tea" about 4 years ago when I was dating a man from Senegal. This is the most refreshing, delicious, delectable, wonderful drink in the WORLD to me. I now buy Bissap (which is known as Zobo in Nigeria) each and every month, and I make a batch of it on Sundays to last me through the week.

I can't believe someone else has finally written about this heavenly beverage. It is SO delicious. It is also very, very CHEAP to make. I get a month's supply at the African Market for about 5 US dollars. I make it exactly as I make tea, but I also add pineapple juice to it, just like the guy I once dated made it.......It is a well-known drink in other cultures too, but it has various different names. But, as you mentioned, it is from Hibiscus flowers. It makes a beautiful, deep red tea that tastes just like fruit punch.

Consulate : London, United Kingdom

Spent month in Africa 06/2007

Spent month in UK 02/2008

I-129F Sent : 03-05

I-129F NOA1 : 03-07

I-129 NOA1 Hard Copy: 03-15

Touched: 03-11

Touched: 03-13

Touched: 03-14

Touched: 07-22.

I-129F NOA2 :07-22

Touched: 07-23

I-129 NOA2 Hard Copy:07-28

NVC Received : 07-28

NVC Left : 07-30

Consulate Received : 08-06

Packet 3 Received : 08-15

Packet 3 Sent : 09-04 and 10-2

Packet 4 Received : 10-6

Interview Date : 10-16

Comment: Issued blue slip at interview to get Police Certs AGAIN :-(

Timeline
Oh how I LOVE Bissap.....

I fell in LOVE with this "tea" about 4 years ago when I was dating a man from Senegal. This is the most refreshing, delicious, delectable, wonderful drink in the WORLD to me. I now buy Bissap (which is known as Zobo in Nigeria) each and every month, and I make a batch of it on Sundays to last me through the week.

I can't believe someone else has finally written about this heavenly beverage. It is SO delicious. It is also very, very CHEAP to make. I get a month's supply at the African Market for about 5 US dollars. I make it exactly as I make tea, but I also add pineapple juice to it, just like the guy I once dated made it.......It is a well-known drink in other cultures too, but it has various different names. But, as you mentioned, it is from Hibiscus flowers. It makes a beautiful, deep red tea that tastes just like fruit punch.

Yummy... I'd love to know how you make it! My fiance gave me a little bag of hibiscus flowers but I'm not sure what to do with them! A little OT but everybody could benefit from drinking bissap! Tee hee....

Merci WonTanNara.

De rien ma souer, bonne chance! Too bad you will be leaving before I get there but I cannot wait to hear about your experience!

Merci WonTanNara.

De rien ma souer, bonne chance! Too bad you will be leaving before I get there but I cannot wait to hear about your experience!

Je parle français un peu. Mon fiancé dit que je le parlerai couramment avant que je parte. (translation courtesy Babel Fish :))

I could "miss" my flight....LOL!

VISA JOURNEY

USCIS Journey

TOTAL 32 DAYS

NVC Journey

TOTAL 105 DAYS

Embassy Journey

TOTAL 80 DAYS

US CITIZENSHIP JOURNEY

TOTAL 29 DAYS

TOTAL 249 DAYS

Naturalization Journey

Filed: Country: Senegal
Timeline

Edible Hibiscus Flowers

Ingredients :

1/4 cup of edible hibiscus flowers , about 6-8

1 vanilla bean split , use the seeds

2 tablespoons honey

2 cups of water

2 mint leaves crushed

2 tablespoons of lemon juice

Take all the ingredients, except the flowere in a saucepan and bring to a boil , Add the flowers and let it seep for atleast 10 minutes .cool and serve chill ! Alternatively , you can make a granita out of it .

Bissap, Traditional African Hibiscus and Mint tea

Filed: Country: Senegal
Timeline

2–3 cups of bissap flowers

1 cup sugar

sprig of mint

1/2 cup lemon juice

Preparation

Jus de Bissap Preparation:

Method:

Rinse the flowers under cold water then set aside. Meanwhile add 2l cold water to a saucepan and bring to the boil.

As soon as the water's boiling add the flowers. Immediately remove from the heat and allow to seep for ten to fifteen minutes. After this time pour the tea through a strainer into a pitcher (make sure you don't pour any of the flower sediment in). Stir in the sugar and lemon juice. Add the sprig of mint then transfer to the fridge to allow the drink to chill completely. This tart drink makes an excellent accompaniment to any West African dish

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Guinea
Timeline
Hi WB:

Bon voyage ma soeur!

:thumbs: Good advice I will be be there Dec 14th until Jan 11th, I hope to see you there, My Fiance will be taking care of all of my living arrangemets when i get there I will be renting a apartment, She has a very big family and I am meeting more and more of her Family here in states people that I have known for years but didnt know that they were her peeps. But I know that I will have a good time there, The hard part will be me coming back home alone and going through the visa process again. I dont know how you do it going and coming and being away from your Fiance like that . I will have you in my prayers that you can get everything cleared this time .

My wife you are simply beautiful and perfect for mehttp://da.daisypath.com/w3wlm4.png

Timeline
:thumbs: Good advice I will be be there Dec 14th until Jan 11th, I hope to see you there, My Fiance will be taking care of all of my living arrangemets when i get there I will be renting a apartment, She has a very big family and I am meeting more and more of her Family here in states people that I have known for years but didnt know that they were her peeps. But I know that I will have a good time there, The hard part will be me coming back home alone and going through the visa process again. I dont know how you do it going and coming and being away from your Fiance like that . I will have you in my prayers that you can get everything cleared this time .

Hi D, I guess we're OT but c'est la vie! I hope to see you in Guinea too! It would be nice to have somebody to speak English with. Our visa situation is completely out of our hands, and it's even out of the embassy's hands. Our fate rests with Washington now and not even a congressman can help us. :crying: The good news is that we don't need another interview and once that security clearance comes through we are good to go. Hopefully it will come before the middle of December because I don't want to spend a month in Senegal. I want to go to Guinea and see our friends and my fiance's family and watch Les Ballets Africains rehearse and dance with my Bijioux! Insh-Allah... Nonetheless, we are not going back to Guinea unless my fiance has his envelope in his hands.

As far as leaving your fiance, it's tough, I won't sugarcoat that one. I've had to do it 3 times in the last year and I cry on the plane every time. But, our love is very strong. You will be ok. You will be hitting the Vermont SC at a good time, winter is always slower. I really don't think you'll have the same AP problem as us because your fiance is female. If we had not gotten stuck in security clearance, we would have had our visa in 3 months from when I filed the petition.

FYI Guinea is a LOT cheaper than Senegal so your budget will be significantly less. The prices in FG are the same (ie 2000 for a 20 minute taxi ride, 500 for a bowl of rice or a cold drink, 6000 for 6M of fabric) but there are about 4000FG for $1. Your money will go 100 times further in Guinea (another reason I don't want to stay in Senegal for a month).

Cons: Don't count on having running water, and electricity usually comes on only at night. Usually. Be careful with the things you plug in, sometimes the current is too strong and it blew out one of my voltage converters. One night my fan caught on fire (THAT was an experience). The mosquitoes are horrific in Conakry, you will want a net for sleeping and malaria pills if possible. Once people understand you are American, you will more than likely constantly be asked for money. It's hard, I'd love to help each and every Guinean but it's just not possible. I have a vision in my head that will haunt me forever, walking across a bridge mobbed with people and this crippled man looking up at me with his hand stretched out. My fiance was carrying the money and was walking too quickly for us to stop so I wasn't able to help him. After that, I would keep a few small bills or coins in my pocket to give as I'm walking by somebody like that who really needs help. Roads are rough, take good shoes for walking.

Pros: MUSIC! If at all possible you should take drum classes. PM me I can set you up, my fiance's cousin is the lead djembe soloist for Les Ballets Africains. It would be a shame if you did not experience the music in Guinea. Classes are about $15 for 90 minutes and you can bring home a really nice djembe for $150. At the very least, go watch a ballet rehearse. MADINA! It's the craziest market I've ever seen in my life. You need to see Madina. SORO! If possible, take an overnight boat trip out to one of the Islands. Ohh I'm getting goosebumps remembering our trip to Soro. KINDIA! It's where all that fabulous indigo fabric comes from and site of one of the most beautiful waterfalls I've ever seen. Street food is great, try anything and everything, especially BISSAP (pronounced BEE-sap). You can't leave Guinea without tasting this yummy red drink, almost always served cold because they freeze it in little baggies the night before they take it out to sell.

I strongly suggest taking gifts for your fiance and her family. You don't need to spend a lot and a little gesture goes a long way. From our PM talks it sounds like your fiance's family is better off than most, but most of the people in Guinea are so heartbreakingly poor... take little gifts. I have found that the guys love T-shirts with US logos on them and the women love big bling earrings. I brought little matchbox cars and lipglosses and gave them out to kids on the street.

One thing that I absolutely loved was all the kids running up to me saying "fotay nara fotay nara ehhh fotay!" and wanting to shake my hand. It basically means "here's a white person." The kids are SO CUTE. You are foray though, so they won't be calling you fotay. ;) I should teach you some Susu so you can surprise your fiance, assuming she is Susu? I don't know any Malinke or Fular.

Ohhhhhhhhhhhhh now I wanna go back to Guinea sooooooooooooooooo badly! Insh-Allah we will be in Guinea at the same time...

Timeline
2–3 cups of bissap flowers

1 cup sugar

sprig of mint

1/2 cup lemon juice

Preparation

Jus de Bissap Preparation:

Method:

Rinse the flowers under cold water then set aside. Meanwhile add 2l cold water to a saucepan and bring to the boil.

As soon as the water's boiling add the flowers. Immediately remove from the heat and allow to seep for ten to fifteen minutes. After this time pour the tea through a strainer into a pitcher (make sure you don't pour any of the flower sediment in). Stir in the sugar and lemon juice. Add the sprig of mint then transfer to the fridge to allow the drink to chill completely. This tart drink makes an excellent accompaniment to any West African dish

Omoba merci beaucoup!

Timeline
Merci WonTanNara.

Je parle français un peu. Mon fiancé dit que je le parlerai couramment avant que je parte. (translation courtesy Babel Fish :))

Your fiance might be a little crabby if you miss your flight tee hee...

I am really hoping to be in Guinea during that time, Insh-Allah!

Merci WonTanNara.

Your fiance might be a little crabby if you miss your flight tee hee...

I am really hoping to be in Guinea during that time, Insh-Allah!

Actually I was talking about missing my flight home - think my husband would actually like that :)

VISA JOURNEY

USCIS Journey

TOTAL 32 DAYS

NVC Journey

TOTAL 105 DAYS

Embassy Journey

TOTAL 80 DAYS

US CITIZENSHIP JOURNEY

TOTAL 29 DAYS

TOTAL 249 DAYS

Naturalization Journey

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.