Waldo

Name Change

6 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Peru
Timeline

My wife is Peruvian. Right now were hung up on if we should change her name now or wait until she gets to the states. Also because of the latin' herritage she has four names. All of which are important to her and have meaning withen the family so she doesn't want to give them up. I'm the only son to pass my family name. I would prefer not to hyphonate our last names or combine them. With all the traveling and signing I do It's just impractical. We were married in Peru and we are working on the K3 right now if that makes any difference.

Can she have four names?

Should we change it now or wait until she comes to the US?

Any suggestions?

USCIS

12/03/2008...Sent I-130 form

12/04/2008...Papers reached Chicago LockBox (1Day)

12/11/2008...NOA1 (7days)

12/22/2008...NOA1 hard copy received (11 days ~ Heavy Snowfall Delayed Mail)

03/14/2009...NOA2 (92 days from NOA1)

03/24/2009...NOA2 Hard copy received (No touches or web approval)

NVC

04/06/2009...Received by NVC (23 days from NOA2)

DreAlphaBettas@aol.com

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Peru
Timeline
My wife is Peruvian. Right now were hung up on if we should change her name now or wait until she gets to the states. Also because of the latin' herritage she has four names. All of which are important to her and have meaning withen the family so she doesn't want to give them up. I'm the only son to pass my family name. I would prefer not to hyphonate our last names or combine them. With all the traveling and signing I do It's just impractical. We were married in Peru and we are working on the K3 right now if that makes any difference.

Can she have four names?

Any suggestions?

My husband is Peruvian also, he has 4 names as well :wacko: ... and yes, she can have 4 of them too but in case she initial her second name and use two last names, otherwise it will be too complicated and confusing. Will give you an example, on form for address change from the post office my husband received two confirmation letters, one of them had two names and first last name, the other one had first name (no middle)and two last names, so not to be confusing for all those institution that you will be applying/signing a forms(banks, post office, jobs, etc.) use only first name, middle initial and two last names. And good luck with all her names. :P

Hello everyone,

I also have a question regarding name change:

My husband and I were married in Bosnia 3 months ago, I came back to the US,we're getting ready to file the paperwork as soon as I figure out what to do:)

I took his last name at our marriage ceremony, and now I wonder if I should change my name and all documents (SS, DL,etc) BEFORE I file I-130, do I apply with my maiden name or do I apply with my new last name even though the marriage certificate is the only document with my new name? What is the right way to go about it? I know this sounds kind of stupid to ask, but I am so scared that I will make a stupid mistake and have it bite me at some point in this visa process. I don't even know what last name to put on the application :) :) :) lol

Thank you for all your help!

12/05/11.......................Filed I-751

12/06/11.......................NOA

01/03/12......................BIO

09/10/12..................... Approved

09/21/12..................... Received GC

Hello everyone,

I also have a question regarding name change:

My husband and I were married in Bosnia 3 months ago, I came back to the US,we're getting ready to file the paperwork as soon as I figure out what to do:)

I took his last name at our marriage ceremony, and now I wonder if I should change my name and all documents (SS, DL,etc) BEFORE I file I-130, do I apply with my maiden name or do I apply with my new last name even though the marriage certificate is the only document with my new name? What is the right way to go about it? I know this sounds kind of stupid to ask, but I am so scared that I will make a stupid mistake and have it bite me at some point in this visa process. I don't even know what last name to put on the application :) :) :) lol

Thank you for all your help!

I filed shortly after I was married and prepared all of the documents with my *new* last name, however, at that time all of my IDs were still in my previous name. I then went about changing my driver's license, passport, SS# and every thing else. Once I had the license changed, everything else was a piece of cake.

I didn't need any of my documents for the I-130 so it didn't matter that I had not changed my name before applying. Good Luck with your journey!

I-130 Journey

03/12/2008 I-130 Sent

03/17/2008 NOA1

05/07/2008, 05/08/2008 Touched

10/31/2008 Approved!!

NVC Journey

11/07/2008 I-130 Received; Case Number Assigned

11/12/2008 AOS Fee Bill Generated/DS3032 mailed

11/12/2008 Emailed DS3032 11/13/2008 Mailed DS3032 Hardcopy

11/15/2008 AOS Fee Bill Received in Mail (IIN Received in the mail)

11/17/2008 Paid AOS Fee Online

11/17/2008 DS3032 Accepted

11/18/2008 AOS Fee shows as Paid; Mailed AOS Packet overnight

11/18/2008 IV Fee Available, IV Fee Paid Online

11/20/2008 Mailed DS230 Packet Overnight, AOS Entered into the system (False RFE Message) Rec 11/21

11/24/2008 IV Bill hardcopy received (not needed since I paid online)

11/26/2008 NVC Case Complete 19 days!!

12/23/2008 CR1Visa In Hand

12/24/2008 POE San Juan

US Entry

01/09/2009 Welcome Letter/Card Processing ordered

01/15/2009 Green Card Received, 01/14/2009 SS Card Received

Removal of Conditions

10/16/2010 I751 Sent

10/25/2010 NOA Received NOA Date 10/19/2010

01/12/2011 Biometrics (Biometrics letter date 12/15/2010)

03/03/2011 Approved - Card Production Ordered

03/10/2011 GC Received

US Citizenship

10/13/2011 N400 Sent

10/18/2011 NOA 10/19/2011 Check Cashed

04/17/2012 Email bio letter sent (received 4/19/12)

04/24/2012 Early Bio due to travel plans (bio date orig 5/11/12)

04/30/2012 Interview letter received

Thank you for your response, msnoob!

12/05/11.......................Filed I-751

12/06/11.......................NOA

01/03/12......................BIO

09/10/12..................... Approved

09/21/12..................... Received GC

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Peru
Timeline

Can she have four names?

Any suggestions?

Hi,

It sounds like the names are important to her. There really isn't a problem with her keeping as many names as she wants. She could just add your last name to her other two last names, and then she'd still have 3 last names.

My husband has two last names. I wouldn't think of asking him to get rid of one just to make it more American. I added my husband's last name to mine. No hyphenation needed. So now I have two last names.

What does your traveling and signing things have to do with her signing her name? How is it impractical?

If and when you all have children, they can be your last name and her first last name. For example, you're Smith. She's, for example, after marriage, Rodriguez Garcia Smith. Your kids would be Smith Rodriguez. Totally cool! Your name would be carried on.

Not trying to be mean, but isn't it a lot to ask her to give up her cultural traditions just because she's coming here? The transition of just moving here is going to be huge...

Good luck!

AOS & getting the SSN & the I-693

6/13/08 Applied for SSN for David ----- TRIP 1; 6/23/08 Went back to SSA 'cuz the person didn't pc all documents (rec'd letter from them) ----- TRIP 2

7/2/08 Received David's health insurance cards! Yay!

7/3/08 Went back to SSA; they said come back 7/9 if he still hasn't received it ----- TRIP 3

7/8/08 Got list of vaccines he still needed from CS by fax/phone; tested for immunity to MMR (only vaccine still needed) at our family dr

7/9 & 7/10/08 Went back to SSA, card still not received - Denied opportunity to apply for replacement ----- TRIP 4; Went back to SSA again to apply for a replacement card - Talked to a supervisor this time, POE people entered his last name incorrectly ----- TRIP 5; went to get David's ID thru the State, denied - instructions wrong on website; measles test inconclusive, another test needed; requested new lease

7/14/08 SSA called me in regards to problems at local SSA office

7/15/08 INFOPASS appt to fix POE name input error and then went to airport to fix POE name error

7/17/08 Received SSN card in mail and went to get state ID

7/21/08 State ID received in the mail and tested again for measles immunity

7/29/08 MMR shot #2 given and dropped off papers at Civil Surgeon (CS)

7/31/08 Picked up I-693, completed by local CS, (I paid $25, don't be fooled)

8/3 - 8/6/08 Worked on forms I-485, G-325A, I-864, I-765 and I-131; sent to Chicago - YESSS!

8/11/08 NOA1 for AOS, EAD and AP; 9/2/08 Transfered to CSC; 9/4/08 Biometrics

10/24/08 Rec'd AP; 10/27/08 Rec'd EAD; 11/24/08 Rec'd GC

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.