titotomas

Processing times?

5 posts in this topic

Hi guys,

In a quandry as to what to do at this point. At first, wife (PR) wasn't sure she should apply immediately for citizenship, but has decided she definetly wants it for her and our daughter (my step-daughter age 9) who by now is completely "americanized". (Can you say: "nuh-UH!" and "Totally AWESOME, Dad!") LOL. The kid is growing up in this country and most definetly an American girl, even if she isn't "legally so"! Here's the concern, though:

Their Pilipinas passports expire in another month. We need to renew them, but wife is extremely stubborn (and tighter than I am with a dollar) and she says it'd be a waste of money since she is going to go for USC. I would agree as we haven't LEFT the U.S.A since they got here, but for one thing; the current USCIS processing times. We're in Minnesota (not sure I changed that on our profile, I better go look after this) and the current USCIS St Paul office processing chart looks like it is running (at this moment) ten months for an interview on the N400 (mom), and over one year for the N600 (kiddo). What scares ME is the dependability of the U.S government to stick to that timeline since we have a trip back to Manila planned for March of 2010.

I suppose we can go ahead and apply for everything including the passport renewals (just in case), and then if the citizenship thing goes through in time it's all good.....provided they could then get their new and then needed United States passports in time....... Aaugh!! This is why I have white hair.... :blink:

Thoughts?

Tom and Riza

Tom-U.S. Riza-Philippines

......Tale as old as time,

Song as old as rhyme......

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline

I think it is extremely foolish for anyone, immigrant or otherwise, not to have a valid passport at all times, excepting those times where you have sent it in for renewal.

PEOPLE: READ THE APPLICATION FORM INSTRUCTIONS!!!! They have a lot of good information in them! Most of the questions I see on VJ are clearly addressed by the form instructions. Give them a read!! If you are unable to understand the form instructions, I highly recommend hiring someone who does to help you with the process. Our process, from K-1 to Citizenship and U.S. Passport is completed. Good luck with your process.

I think it is the law that all foreign nationals should carry their "valid" passport along with immigration documents such as I-94, or I-551 Permanent Resident Card - A.K.A. Green Card.-

It doesn't matter whether you are planning to make the trip or not.

Technically your wife and daughter is "traveling" in U.S. with "permanent resident" intent.

So they need valid passport all the times until they get naturalized.

Edited by moonhunt

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline
So they need valid passport all the times until they get naturalized.
I don't think that's true at all. A P.R. is only required to carry the P.R. card, not their passport.

I don't even think a general traveler is legally required to carry the passport wherever they go.

Edited by akdiver

PEOPLE: READ THE APPLICATION FORM INSTRUCTIONS!!!! They have a lot of good information in them! Most of the questions I see on VJ are clearly addressed by the form instructions. Give them a read!! If you are unable to understand the form instructions, I highly recommend hiring someone who does to help you with the process. Our process, from K-1 to Citizenship and U.S. Passport is completed. Good luck with your process.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Colombia
Timeline
Hi guys,

In a quandry as to what to do at this point. At first, wife (PR) wasn't sure she should apply immediately for citizenship, but has decided she definetly wants it for her and our daughter (my step-daughter age 9) who by now is completely "americanized". (Can you say: "nuh-UH!" and "Totally AWESOME, Dad!") LOL. The kid is growing up in this country and most definetly an American girl, even if she isn't "legally so"! Here's the concern, though:

Their Pilipinas passports expire in another month. We need to renew them, but wife is extremely stubborn (and tighter than I am with a dollar) and she says it'd be a waste of money since she is going to go for USC. I would agree as we haven't LEFT the U.S.A since they got here, but for one thing; the current USCIS processing times. We're in Minnesota (not sure I changed that on our profile, I better go look after this) and the current USCIS St Paul office processing chart looks like it is running (at this moment) ten months for an interview on the N400 (mom), and over one year for the N600 (kiddo). What scares ME is the dependability of the U.S government to stick to that timeline since we have a trip back to Manila planned for March of 2010.

I suppose we can go ahead and apply for everything including the passport renewals (just in case), and then if the citizenship thing goes through in time it's all good.....provided they could then get their new and then needed United States passports in time....... Aaugh!! This is why I have white hair.... :blink:

Thoughts?

Tom and Riza

We are also in the St. Paul area, Wisconsin side, took a little more than five months from start to finish, according to their web site, St. Paul is processing applications 3Jan08, we should have at least another 3 month wait even before they look at my wife's application when my wife was done with her interview over three months ago. Can't believe the processing times.

Step daughter went three years without a passport, even though my wife had full custody divorce papers and I was legally responsible for her, Venezuela insisted that her biological father sign a form and is not even living in Venezuela. We filled out the form, he tried to blackmail us for $5,000.00 to sign it, and if we did, he could blackmail us again if our daughter did go back to Venezuela, would need his permission again for her to leave. Not sure about the laws in your country, could also be a hangup. Our daughter survived, actually waited until she was 19 before getting her passport, you do not need a foreign passport to stay her. We had to take a two day trip to Chicago to get it, was rather expensive and time consuming, you have to be there in person.

Your daughter should get her US citizenship for free, ours did a stupid thing by turning 18 before we could apply, has to wait another 18 months and we have to pay another 675 bucks if they don't have yet another fee increase.

Go for it and get it over with, cannot believe the change in attitude of my wife, she finally feels she belongs here and that heavy weight the USCIS puts on us, is gone. We have her certificate locked away, probably no need to look at it again and doesn't have to be concerned about carrying that green card nor keeping track of when it expires again.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.