MaxOnline

Failed to find a Co-sponsor?!

23 posts in this topic

125% *is* a joke. That's barely getting by to begin with.

Hell, on my salary alone I easily cleared support for 6 people. (That's if both our former spouses were no longer with us and I had to support my husband and our combined 4 kids.) Yeah, we could probably survive but not well and if anything went wrong like a medical problem or the roof went, we'd be dead in the water.

Sent I-130 to VT 25-Oct-2007

I-130 Moved to California 6-August-2008

My petition has been in 3 states (1, twice) in 9 months!

Rec'd by CSC 8/9, touched 8/11, 8/12, 8/15, 8/20, 8/25

Approved Tuesday, 25-August-2008

10 months since we mailed the petition

Rec'd NVC 9/3, Invoice Generated 9/10, DS-3032 emailed 9/11.

Rec'd AOS invoice 9/15, paid online 9/15, Accepted as Paid 9/18, mailed I-864EZ 9/19

IV Invoiced 9/18, paid online 9/19, Accepted as paid 9/22

DS-230 sent 10/2

Case complete @NVC 10/8 - 11 months, 1 week and 6 days

Interview in Montreal December 18, 2008 - scheduled 1 year, 1 week and 3 days after the start of our journey. Takes place 1 year, 1 month, 3 weeks and 2 days after the start...

[X] Passed [ ] Failed Interview

Thursday, April 2, 2009 Activated Visa - 1 year, 5 months, 1 week and 1 day

The "once he/she is here it will be better economically" may be true but it also might not. So you're asking the US public to take a chance that it will work out as you hope but in the mean time, you can't actually afford one more dependent. And from my POV, if you can't afford one more dependent, you can't afford to bring over a fiance (not even a spouse but a fiance).

They also say that one of the worst reasons to remarry is the hope that you'll be better off financially. Money problems from the get go turn into relationship problems and that also decreases the chance that it will work out as you hope. And in turn, that means that we're (the US public) are taking an even greater chance than you probably realize.

Nothing is guaranteed, not even a huge income. The US has to make their decision based on statistical realities. I'm just saying that there are times and circumstances where a lack of income has a valid explanation and that explanation isn't always "hard times" or lack of ability to take on one more dependant. You are absolutely correct that marrying with the expectation of a better financial future is a trap that doesn't always work. However, it is not hard at all to make enough money to surpass the 125% line. If one is free to work and isn't in school, disabled, or raising a mentally ill child.

It is true that by far most immigrants are coming from countries where the typical resident is not as well off financially as the typical resident of the US. But it's not an absolute. And yes, the US is suspicious of situations where the beneficiary has money. It looks too much like one is buying their way into the US. But again, this is not an absolute. There are many countries which have the same or better standard of living than the US. When those people immigrate, they get to bring their assets and work history and employability. That should not be dismissed. My fiance has MUCH more resources than I do, financial and otherwise. Yet I am the one this process focuses on. That was my only point.

Madly and wildly in love

Life is best when shared with your soulmate.

Mailed I-129F: March 19, 2008

NOA-1: March 24, 2008

NOA-2: August 5, 2008

Packet 3: August 21, 2008

Medical: September 1, 2008

Returned Packet 3: September 6, 2008

Received Packet 4: September 22, 2008

Interview: October 21, 2008 APPROVED!!!!!

Moved to the US: November 28, 2008

Married!!!: February 20, 2009

Filed for AOS, AP, AED: July 24, 2009

NOA for all three: July 28, 2009

Transferred to CSC: August 20, 2009

Biometrics appt: August 27, 2009

AP letter: September 14, 2009

EAD card: September 18, 2009

AOS approved: September 29, 2009

Green Card Received: October 5, 2009

Filed: Country: Bosnia-Herzegovina
Timeline

I'm sorry but what in numbers would be considered 125% over the poverty line? As a Social Worker, I make betwen $30,000 to $40,000...would that make me 125% over poverty? Can I then be considered the only sponsor for my husband?

I'm sorry if it is a silly question.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline
I'm sorry but what in numbers would be considered 125% over the poverty line? As a Social Worker, I make betwen $30,000 to $40,000...would that make me 125% over poverty? Can I then be considered the only sponsor for my husband?

If it'll just be the two of you, then you're fine. The poverty level varies depending on how may people will be in your household or if you happen to live in Alaksa or Hawaii.

If you live in the 48 states and there will just be the two of you, the 2008 poverty level is $14,000. 125% of that is $17,500.

With a $30,000 income, you meet the 125% level with up to 4 people in your house (that would be you, your future spouse, and 2 dependents) in the contiguous 48 states. You will require a little more if you live in Alaska or Hawaii.

Filed: Country: Jamaica
Timeline

Yes, you are fine.

Life's just a crazy ride on a run away train

You can't go back for what you've missed

So make it count, hold on tight find a way to make it right

You only get one trip

So make it good, make it last 'cause it all flies by so fast

You only get one trip

The "once he/she is here it will be better economically" may be true but it also might not. So you're asking the US public to take a chance that it will work out as you hope but in the mean time, you can't actually afford one more dependent. And from my POV, if you can't afford one more dependent, you can't afford to bring over a fiance (not even a spouse but a fiance).

They also say that one of the worst reasons to remarry is the hope that you'll be better off financially. Money problems from the get go turn into relationship problems and that also decreases the chance that it will work out as you hope. And in turn, that means that we're (the US public) are taking an even greater chance than you probably realize.

Nothing is guaranteed, not even a huge income. The US has to make their decision based on statistical realities. I'm just saying that there are times and circumstances where a lack of income has a valid explanation and that explanation isn't always "hard times" or lack of ability to take on one more dependant. You are absolutely correct that marrying with the expectation of a better financial future is a trap that doesn't always work. However, it is not hard at all to make enough money to surpass the 125% line. If one is free to work and isn't in school, disabled, or raising a mentally ill child.

It is true that by far most immigrants are coming from countries where the typical resident is not as well off financially as the typical resident of the US. But it's not an absolute. And yes, the US is suspicious of situations where the beneficiary has money. It looks too much like one is buying their way into the US. But again, this is not an absolute. There are many countries which have the same or better standard of living than the US. When those people immigrate, they get to bring their assets and work history and employability. That should not be dismissed. My fiance has MUCH more resources than I do, financial and otherwise. Yet I am the one this process focuses on. That was my only point.

I think the current rules for support are fair. You are correct that the "majority" is not an absolute. Unfortunately, rules are made for the majority and those that fall in the statistical tails may suffer. The 125% rule is something that the government came up with to lessen the chances of someone coming to the US and receiving aid from US tax dollars. Since this isn't an absolute, they also put in place the possibility of a co-sponsor. If you have a "special" situation that is explainable, then a family member or close friend could co-sponsor your fiance. If they agree that once your future husband arrives, the income situation will not be a problem, they could assist you in bringing your fiance over.

As for the original question, I think that if you fail to meet the 125% guideline and you fail to get a co-sponsor, the petition is denied.

I don't think the economic situation will directly affect the immigration process as a whole. It may affect personal situations making it more difficult to financially support dependents, but not the process from the government's perspective.

I-130 Journey

03/12/2008 I-130 Sent

03/17/2008 NOA1

05/07/2008, 05/08/2008 Touched

10/31/2008 Approved!!

NVC Journey

11/07/2008 I-130 Received; Case Number Assigned

11/12/2008 AOS Fee Bill Generated/DS3032 mailed

11/12/2008 Emailed DS3032 11/13/2008 Mailed DS3032 Hardcopy

11/15/2008 AOS Fee Bill Received in Mail (IIN Received in the mail)

11/17/2008 Paid AOS Fee Online

11/17/2008 DS3032 Accepted

11/18/2008 AOS Fee shows as Paid; Mailed AOS Packet overnight

11/18/2008 IV Fee Available, IV Fee Paid Online

11/20/2008 Mailed DS230 Packet Overnight, AOS Entered into the system (False RFE Message) Rec 11/21

11/24/2008 IV Bill hardcopy received (not needed since I paid online)

11/26/2008 NVC Case Complete 19 days!!

12/23/2008 CR1Visa In Hand

12/24/2008 POE San Juan

US Entry

01/09/2009 Welcome Letter/Card Processing ordered

01/15/2009 Green Card Received, 01/14/2009 SS Card Received

Removal of Conditions

10/16/2010 I751 Sent

10/25/2010 NOA Received NOA Date 10/19/2010

01/12/2011 Biometrics (Biometrics letter date 12/15/2010)

03/03/2011 Approved - Card Production Ordered

03/10/2011 GC Received

US Citizenship

10/13/2011 N400 Sent

10/18/2011 NOA 10/19/2011 Check Cashed

04/17/2012 Email bio letter sent (received 4/19/12)

04/24/2012 Early Bio due to travel plans (bio date orig 5/11/12)

04/30/2012 Interview letter received

You are the one being focused on because you are the USC and you are the one who is SPONSORING the other person. And you are the one held responsible for that person's well-being in the US whether or not your relationship works out. And if you get a co-sponsor, they take on that responsibility as well.

This is no small matter as far as I'm concerned. Having children means that I have to take care of them, protect them, etc. etc. etc. and to add another person to the mix that I am responsible for means that I'd darn well better be able to fulfill my obligation. While my husband makes a good wage and his company is transfering him to the US when the time comes, I know that it is _my_ $$ on the line here and it is _my_ responsibility, not his, by virtue of the paperwork I signed in my affidavit of support. And, it is my kids' future.

In reality, all of us, ex-spouses and my husband and I, make good money. And at a ratio of 1:1 parent:kid, we're in terrific shape. But the bottom line is that I had to put the number 6 down on my affidavit because I am responsible for 6 people should the others be unable to contribute. And I take that responsibility seriously.

These aren't just numbers we put down on forms so we can get someone into the US. They're contracts and they matter (or at least they should).

Sent I-130 to VT 25-Oct-2007

I-130 Moved to California 6-August-2008

My petition has been in 3 states (1, twice) in 9 months!

Rec'd by CSC 8/9, touched 8/11, 8/12, 8/15, 8/20, 8/25

Approved Tuesday, 25-August-2008

10 months since we mailed the petition

Rec'd NVC 9/3, Invoice Generated 9/10, DS-3032 emailed 9/11.

Rec'd AOS invoice 9/15, paid online 9/15, Accepted as Paid 9/18, mailed I-864EZ 9/19

IV Invoiced 9/18, paid online 9/19, Accepted as paid 9/22

DS-230 sent 10/2

Case complete @NVC 10/8 - 11 months, 1 week and 6 days

Interview in Montreal December 18, 2008 - scheduled 1 year, 1 week and 3 days after the start of our journey. Takes place 1 year, 1 month, 3 weeks and 2 days after the start...

[X] Passed [ ] Failed Interview

Thursday, April 2, 2009 Activated Visa - 1 year, 5 months, 1 week and 1 day

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.