birdie0808

Montreal Interview - Original copies needed?

9 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Hello,

I am a new user to this board, but have been a lurker for about a year or so :)

I have my interview (CR-1 visa) in Montreal on October 29th and just want to double check the type of forms I need.

I have read tons of reviews but am a bit of a worry wart and just want some clarification (everybody seems to be so helpful on this board).

Anyways, I have sent all of my original documents to the NVC (i.e., birth certificate, marriage certificate, police records etc) and I only have copies with me. Now, I assume I take the copies with me to the interview and the consulate will give me package with my original documents at the time of the interview?? The reviews I have read just state that the interveiwer asks for your documents and you are supposed to hand them over, does this mean the copies or originals?

My interview letter that I received from the NVC (the checklist page) shows that all of the appropriate forms have been received and reviewed.

Basically, at what point are you given your originals back and at what point to you need them during the interview?

Thanks for your help!!

Timeline
Hello,

I am a new user to this board, but have been a lurker for about a year or so :)

I have my interview (CR-1 visa) in Montreal on October 29th and just want to double check the type of forms I need.

I have read tons of reviews but am a bit of a worry wart and just want some clarification (everybody seems to be so helpful on this board).

Anyways, I have sent all of my original documents to the NVC (i.e., birth certificate, marriage certificate, police records etc) and I only have copies with me. Now, I assume I take the copies with me to the interview and the consulate will give me package with my original documents at the time of the interview?? The reviews I have read just state that the interveiwer asks for your documents and you are supposed to hand them over, does this mean the copies or originals?

My interview letter that I received from the NVC (the checklist page) shows that all of the appropriate forms have been received and reviewed.

Basically, at what point are you given your originals back and at what point to you need them during the interview?

Thanks for your help!!

Hi there!

Birdie you have been a lurker for a year and never posted? You have to tell us why you never have :lol:

Congratulations on the interview.

I'm just guessing here but I think that perhaps you have been reading some reviews of K visa interviews - hence the - when the interviewer asks for your documents - part of the interview you mention.

That doesn't apply to CR1/IR1 visa interviews as - like you say - you have already sent your information to NVC and the interviewer will already have all of those documents/forms.

They should return your original marriage certificate and birth certificate (and any other original documents you have submitted), they will not return the original police report.

Timeline

Yes, since ur a cr-1/ir-1 u already sent in your originals 9as u stated) so u are GOOD TO GO!! bring your copies with you as back up! Some people like me get carried away and purchase 2 originals,lol ,but not required. At the Mtl Consulate they hand you back the originals and some of the paperwork to verify things are correct (ur address hast changed, etc--if it has, you can change it then) At the end they will give you most of your originals back to keep! I think the only one of mine they kept was the RCMP police check!

Canadians Visiting the USA while undergoing the visa process, my free advice:

1) Always tell the TRUTH. never lie to the POE officer

2) Be confident in ur replies

3) keep ur response short and to the point, don't tell ur life story!!

4) look the POE officer in the eye when speaking to them. They are looking for people lieing and have been trained to find them!

5) Pack light! No job resumes with you

6) Bring ties to Canada (letter from employer when ur expected back at work, lease, etc etc)

7) Always be polite, being rude isn't going to get ya anywhere, and could make things worse!!

8) Have a plan in case u do get denied (be polite) It wont harm ur visa application if ur denied,that is if ur polite and didn't lie! Refer to #1

Timeline

Thank you for your quick replies!!

LOL don't ask me why I've never posted, I guess I've never been big on posting on the internet, so perhaps it's just because I'm weird. But I have found this board to be very helpful.

I realize that I asked somewhat of a silly question and now that you point it out, I was reading all of the K interview experiences.

Thanks for putting my mind at ease.

Welcome to VJ officially and best of luck at your interview!!! :star:

Let's Keep the Song Going!!!

CANADA.GIFUS1.GIF

~Laura and Nicholas~

IMG_1315.jpg

Met online November 2005 playing City of Heroes

First met in Canada, Sept 22, 2006 <3

September 2006 to March 2008, 11 visits, 5 in Canada, 6 in NJ

Officially Engaged December 24th, 2007!!!

Moved to the U.S. to be with my baby on July 19th, 2008 on a K1 visa!!!!

***10 year green card in hand as of 2/2/2012, loving and living life***

Hmmm maybe we should move back to Canada! lol smile.png

Timeline
Thank you for your quick replies!!

LOL don't ask me why I've never posted, I guess I've never been big on posting on the internet, so perhaps it's just because I'm weird. But I have found this board to be very helpful.

I realize that I asked somewhat of a silly question and now that you point it out, I was reading all of the K interview experiences.

Thanks for putting my mind at ease.

Well, glad to have you here now :thumbs:

Please don't think your question is silly, it's truly not. The CR1/IR1 and K visas are very dissimilar in their procedures and sometimes very similar in submissions (just at different times in the process).

It's very easy to get the two intertwined - i'm sure you notice that there are K visa questions thrown in the IR1 forum and IR1 questions in the K visa forum - it just happens in threads and if you don't know the procedure 100% - well you get the picture.

Anyway, just wanted to say that and I hope you won't hesitate to post anything that comes to mind, we like to help if we can :)

Timeline

Congratulations on your interview date and thanks for asking an excellent question. I had the same question in mind since I also sent in all my original documents as per DS-230 instructions I followed from James' Shortcuts. I actually forgot to make any copies of things so I don't know how that's going to affect me. I have a duplicate original of my birth certificate and my wife has a duplicate copy of our marriage certificate but I forgot to make a copy of the police report. I'm sure they will have all my documents though.

BTW does anyone know if I need to bring extra passport photos if I already took them and sent them in with my DS-230?

History

12/2000 Met Online

02/14/2001 Started dating

04/20/2001 Met in person

03/2002 Moved in together in the US

2002 - 2007 working in US on TN-1 Visa

05/2005 Registered as Common-law

06/2005 Proposed and Engaged

08/30/2007 - Married

I-130 (156 Days)

02/20/2008 I-130 Filed

03/10/2008 NOA1 - CSC confirmation sent

03/12/2008 date on online tracking - Touched

08/11/2008 - NOA2 - I-130 APPROVED!!! USCIS page updated. (156 Days)

NVC

08/14/2008 - NVC received my application and has assigned me a case number. Waiting for Beneficiary letter.

08/15/2008 - e-mailed the NVC for choice of Agent DS-3032, not sure if I was suppose to do this before actually getting paperwork sent to me.

08/25/2008 - AOS Fee Bill and DS-3032 Generated

08/30/2008 - Letter Recieved

09/02/2008 - AOS Fee Bill Paid and DS-3032 Choice of Agent e-mail sent

09/03/2008 - AOS Fee Bill Recorded as Paid

09/10/2008 - NVC sends DS-3203 Receipt Confirmation

09/10/2008 - IV Fee Bill Available and Paid

09/11/2008 - IV Fee Bill Processed - PAID, Coversheet Generated

09/11/2008 - Following directions on James' Shortcuts for creating DS-230 Package

09/18/2008 - Sent in I-864 and DS-230 (FedEx Overnight)

09/29/2008 - NVC Case Completed!

09/??/???? - Packet never received (sent in with James' Shortcuts as soon as bill was paid)

12/03/2008 - Interview - APPROVED!

12/04/2008 - Visa Received

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline
Congratulations on your interview date and thanks for asking an excellent question. I had the same question in mind since I also sent in all my original documents as per DS-230 instructions I followed from James' Shortcuts. I actually forgot to make any copies of things so I don't know how that's going to affect me. I have a duplicate original of my birth certificate and my wife has a duplicate copy of our marriage certificate but I forgot to make a copy of the police report. I'm sure they will have all my documents though.

BTW does anyone know if I need to bring extra passport photos if I already took them and sent them in with my DS-230?

If I recall correctly, you send a pair with your DS-230, bring a pair to your medical appointment, and bring another pair to the interview.

And Birdie can I ask what date your case was completed at NVC? Trying to get a clearer picture of how long of a wait I'm in for, and I don't see any other October interviews in our CR-1/IR-1 Timeline thread. :)

CSC
I-130

2008-03-12: NOA1 issued
2008-08-12: NOA2 issued

2008-08-18: NVC Received
2008-09-30: Case Complete
2008-10-16: Interview date assigned

2008-12-04: Interview
2008-12-08: Visa in hand

2008-12-11: POE: Buffalo NY Land Border Crossing
2008-12-23: Applied for SSN at local office (no record despite checking box to apply on DS-230)
2008-12-30: Welcome to the United States letter received
2009-01-06: SSN Received
2009-01-06: Greencard Received

2014-01-23: Sent N-400 package via express delivery

2014-01-27: NOA-1
2014-02-07: Biometric appointment letter mailed
2014-02-19: Biometric appointment
2014-02-21: Placed in line for interview scheduling

2014-03-25: Interview

2014-07-25: Oath Ceremony

Timeline

If I recall correctly, you send a pair with your DS-230, bring a pair to your medical appointment, and bring another pair to the interview.

And Birdie can I ask what date your case was completed at NVC? Trying to get a clearer picture of how long of a wait I'm in for, and I don't see any other October interviews in our CR-1/IR-1 Timeline thread. :)

My case was completed at the NVC on July 30th.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.