stacyscotland

Legal Advice for K-1 Visa

10 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

Hey everyone! I just got through a grueling process of looking for a cheap lawyer to help me with my Fiance Visa forms, cheap and lawyer doesn't exist!! So I wanted to help you guys who might be in the same spot I was...Don't pay the crazy $250/hr I was charged...I found out prepaid legal was a great service for me and my (soon to be) fiance, and it was only $16/month to ask as many questions as I wanted to!! We ended up doing the paper work ourselves but I was scared to death at filling them out wrong and getting a delay of any kind. The service told me WHICH forms to use and gave me peace of mind by asking them a million and one questions along the way...If you are like we are and already spend all your money on phone bills, flights, and saving for a wedding...this is the way to go! Honestly saved us $7200 (total quote we got)!! Thought it would help someone, wish I had known earlier. Good luck to you!! If you don't know how to sign up, write me back and I'll help ya. :) And...another money saver...SKYPE!! Its free and it'll save you the long distance upsets of not seeing each other, don't think we'd survive without it!

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Philippines
Timeline

Many couples have used this site and saved even the $16 per month. This site is free. The guides are correct and make filing very easy. Why pay anything at all when its all right here, unless your petition is very complicated with overstays, etc.

Chris

1_948852256l.jpg

Gretchen montage

Davao July 07

our friendster

08/12/08 AOS sent

08/13/08 AOS received

08/15/08 NOA1 received EAD

08/15/08 NOA1 received AOS

08/19/08 Checks cashed

08/23/08 biometrics appt letter

09/09/08 biometrics

10/27/08 EAD approved

Filed: Timeline
Hey everyone! I just got through a grueling process of looking for a cheap lawyer to help me with my Fiance Visa forms, cheap and lawyer doesn't exist!! So I wanted to help you guys who might be in the same spot I was...Don't pay the crazy $250/hr I was charged...I found out prepaid legal was a great service for me and my (soon to be) fiance, and it was only $16/month to ask as many questions as I wanted to!! We ended up doing the paper work ourselves but I was scared to death at filling them out wrong and getting a delay of any kind. The service told me WHICH forms to use and gave me peace of mind by asking them a million and one questions along the way...If you are like we are and already spend all your money on phone bills, flights, and saving for a wedding...this is the way to go! Honestly saved us $7200 (total quote we got)!! Thought it would help someone, wish I had known earlier. Good luck to you!! If you don't know how to sign up, write me back and I'll help ya. :) And...another money saver...SKYPE!! Its free and it'll save you the long distance upsets of not seeing each other, don't think we'd survive without it!

I just couldn't wait one more day than I absolutely had to to be with the man I love...so taking that chance to NOT double check that my forms were correctly done with a lawyer, wasn't worth the risk for us, but then again...I had 2 friends who made one tiny mistake on their apps and got set back months because of it. I think the $16 is more than worth the peace of mind I needed. The wait was just too long already for me, didn't want to risk another day let alone months. :)

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: South Korea
Timeline

We "interviewed" 3 lawyers who specially advertized that they do imigrations work (the only 3 in my fiancee's area) and not one of them had the knowledge I had, just from reading online (and that was even before I found this site) - I would have liked to go through a lawyer as well just for the peace of mind, but basic questions convinced me that they would do more harm than good (for a standard filing - I am all for lawyers if yours is a spacial case or really complicated) We filed ourselves ... only time will tell if it was the right choice.

SO ... What questions would be good questions to ask a potential lawyer of you decide to go that route for peace of mind?

A: How do I proof we have met in the last 2 years.

(all 3 lawyers told me photos and letters from friends and family - not one mentioned plane tickets, credit card reciepts or any other documentary proof)

B: How long is this gonna take?

(If they tell you 2 months - at the most - like one lawyer told me ... walk out, they clearly have never done this or anything like this)

What other questions can show you the lawyer knows what he/she is doing?

Beni

2008-09-22: Mailed I-129f package.

2008-09-25: NOA1

2009-01-13: RFE

2009-02-17: NOA2

2009-02-25: NVC

2009-03-03: Package 3

Filed: Other Country: China
Timeline
We "interviewed" 3 lawyers who specially advertized that they do imigrations work (the only 3 in my fiancee's area) and not one of them had the knowledge I had, just from reading online (and that was even before I found this site) - I would have liked to go through a lawyer as well just for the peace of mind, but basic questions convinced me that they would do more harm than good (for a standard filing - I am all for lawyers if yours is a spacial case or really complicated) We filed ourselves ... only time will tell if it was the right choice.

SO ... What questions would be good questions to ask a potential lawyer of you decide to go that route for peace of mind?

A: How do I proof we have met in the last 2 years.

(all 3 lawyers told me photos and letters from friends and family - not one mentioned plane tickets, credit card reciepts or any other documentary proof)

B: How long is this gonna take?

(If they tell you 2 months - at the most - like one lawyer told me ... walk out, they clearly have never done this or anything like this)

What other questions can show you the lawyer knows what he/she is doing?

Beni

I generally fall in the "no lawyer" camp but it takes little reading here to see that many people just don't have the aptitude, patience or whatever to deal with reading carefully, interpreting literally and answering accurately or to learn and understand the process. Attention to detail and excellent English language reading and writing skills are a must to have success in the visa process going it alone. Many people are wise to seek assistance from lawyers or experts. The Catch 22 is that it takes similar skills to select a competent attorney.

Facts are cheap...knowing how to use them is precious...
Understanding the big picture is priceless. Anonymous

Google Who is Pushbrk?

A Warning to Green Card Holders About Voting

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

You could always make an INFOPASS appointment to have your I-129F form checked the first time before you mail it, if that makes you feel better. If you do take a lawyer, they will be of no help at all during the interview stage, which is where most applications are denied. You will have to read through VJ to get the most accurate advice.

Filed: Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

I think by just reading through all the guides here and also reading through the embassy websites (which actually have quite a lot of info) then it is simple to do it by yourself. Just be prepared to do a lot of reading and note taking. I wrote lists of exactly what I needed and what I needed to do in what order.

Filed: Country: Jamaica
Timeline

I searched the internet to see what other people's issues had been when filing. I read and reread what people had done on here. I studied the guides. I read the USCIS web site. I read the Jamaican embassy web site. I carefully put together our information. I double checked and then triple checked that I had done it all correctly.

In the end, we had no issues whatsoever. I am defintely in the no lawyer camp. A lawyer cannot do anything better then I did myself. And, I did it on my time. Not waiting longer for someone else to do what I could've done in the first place.

Life's just a crazy ride on a run away train

You can't go back for what you've missed

So make it count, hold on tight find a way to make it right

You only get one trip

So make it good, make it last 'cause it all flies by so fast

You only get one trip

Filed: Other Country: China
Timeline
I searched the internet to see what other people's issues had been when filing. I read and reread what people had done on here. I studied the guides. I read the USCIS web site. I read the Jamaican embassy web site. I carefully put together our information. I double checked and then triple checked that I had done it all correctly.

In the end, we had no issues whatsoever. I am defintely in the no lawyer camp. A lawyer cannot do anything better then I did myself. And, I did it on my time. Not waiting longer for someone else to do what I could've done in the first place.

It's probably true a lawyer couldn't have done anyting better than YOU did yourself but this is not true for all members. "Can" is an individual thing.

Facts are cheap...knowing how to use them is precious...
Understanding the big picture is priceless. Anonymous

Google Who is Pushbrk?

A Warning to Green Card Holders About Voting

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

We did hire a lawyer however we only paid $500 which is not bad compared to some, she filled out the forms for us and all we had to do was sign,

however had we have found this site before filing we believe we would be comfortable filling out the forms and askingg questions here along the way, everyone is so helpful here and are happy to assist you should you need anyhelp.

thankyou vjers

met on 29-5-2005

filed k1 25-07-2008

noa1 11-08-2008

touch 14-08-2008

touch 06-10-2008

touch 07-10-2008

visited 14 times since 2005

first visit august 19th 2005

10146.gif

.png

NOA2 16th DECEMBER!!!!!!!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.