nunyab

hummmph MENA men!!

57 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: Morocco
Timeline

My husband will use very similar language -- it will be good if I will "do some sport," it will be good if I will lose some weight for my health, that sort of thing. But it's all in the attitude. I know when he says this it's because he cares about my health, and I DO need to exercise and lose weight. He means it simply as loving and practical advice, the same as if he advised me to get more sleep or not work so hard. He's not judging me as an individual because of my weight and fitness level. He still holds my hand and hugs me in public. He still treats me like I'm beautiful. Sure, first time I heard it I was hearing with my American ears, and to an American woman, that sort of comment is often a criticism followed by rejection. But in his case, it's just loving advice, pure and simple, from someone who wants us to be healthy together for a long, long time.

Glad you talked it out. Don't beat yourself up over it. You're still learning each other's language, just like we all are, and there are bound to be misunderstandings and miscommunication from time to time. He signed on, albeit unexpectedly, as your personal trainer, and there will be ways you can coach him as well during your life together.

I'm the USC.

11/05/2007........Conditional permanent residency effective date.

01/10/2008........Two-year green card in hand.

08/08/2009........Our son was born <3

08/08/2009........Filed for removal of conditions.

12/16/2009........ROC was approved.

11/05/2010........Eligible for Naturalization.

03/01/2011........Separated.

11/05/2012........Eligible for Naturalization.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: Timeline

OK...I am right there with ya! BOOTCAMP! I am getting up in the morning and going to the trail before work......Think ROCKY LOL....Thanks for the thread RAJ we can do it! Well be totally Hot! (I don't like MILF..but if I did...we'll be MILF's ) OMG my daughter just told me she is pregnant does that make me a GILF? ewwwwwwwwwww!!!!!!

OK

i know i am not over weight but i am not what i like to be he knows i am better when i exercise and martini olive i amthe same way. This visa process and work and single mom but you know there is no reason why i can't take an hour go to the club house and move my butt... it is Soooo on!!

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Morocco
Timeline
My husband will use very similar language -- it will be good if I will "do some sport," it will be good if I will lose some weight for my health, that sort of thing. But it's all in the attitude. I know when he says this it's because he cares about my health, and I DO need to exercise and lose weight. He means it simply as loving and practical advice, the same as if he advised me to get more sleep or not work so hard. He's not judging me as an individual because of my weight and fitness level. He still holds my hand and hugs me in public. He still treats me like I'm beautiful. Sure, first time I heard it I was hearing with my American ears, and to an American woman, that sort of comment is often a criticism followed by rejection. But in his case, it's just loving advice, pure and simple, from someone who wants us to be healthy together for a long, long time.

Glad you talked it out. Don't beat yourself up over it. You're still learning each other's language, just like we all are, and there are bound to be misunderstandings and miscommunication from time to time. He signed on, albeit unexpectedly, as your personal trainer, and there will be ways you can coach him as well during your life together.

we always talk things out... good for us we love eachother or definatly would be different. You are very right about the "american ears" so true... i have been concious of it over the years but i guess i relaxed a bit... anyway thanks ladies.... you're always there for me! :star:

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Morocco
Timeline
OK...I am right there with ya! BOOTCAMP! I am getting up in the morning and going to the trail before work......Think ROCKY LOL....Thanks for the thread RAJ we can do it! Well be totally Hot! (I don't like MILF..but if I did...we'll be MILF's ) OMG my daughter just told me she is pregnant does that make me a GILF? ewwwwwwwwwww!!!!!!

OK

i know i am not over weight but i am not what i like to be he knows i am better when i exercise and martini olive i amthe same way. This visa process and work and single mom but you know there is no reason why i can't take an hour go to the club house and move my butt... it is Soooo on!!

a GILF :rofl: tooo funny that might stick you know????

Filed: Timeline

OK

:rofl: GILF :rofl:

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Iraq
Timeline

OK

I knew a woman who was 32 years old when she became a granma. Though she herself was a young mom, she is married and has been working a great job since she was 19 at a hospital. Nothing bad about her at all and I think she looks great. She is 38 years old now and has 2 grandchildren.

Married: May 28th, 2007

Arrived in the US: December 10th, 2008

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Egypt
Timeline

Well from your pics I always think you are so pretty....

Well from your pics I always think you are so pretty.... I don't think you need to change at all

K1 process

10/05/2006 filled :)

05/03/2007 interview -> AP -> hell -> AP -> 9 months of AP Hell - 2 home visits :(

01/26/2008 visa in hand with a typo :(

02/03/2008 2 weeks more of waiting.... Visa in hand...... :)

2/20/2008 on US soil :)

2/21/2008 marriage :)

AOS

03/12/2008 Sent AOS/Work/Travel

03/16/2008 shows delivered chicago

4/12/2008 check cashed :)

4/13/2008 NOA's for all 3

4/18/2008 bio letter

4/29/2008 bio appt.

5/06/2008 RFE 2007 tax return

5/07/2008 returned RFE overnight

5/08/2008 received-lees summit

5/12/08 case updated online/RFE received

5/27/08 checked the website for the third time today -says AP and EAD approval letter sent 5/24- it was not updated online till today - and no e-mail update either

5/27/08 emails sent in afternoon AP and EAD approvals

5/29/08 AP touch

5/29/08 email EAD card production ordered

6/02/08 AP in hand

6/03/08 email EAD card mailed

6/05/08 EAD card in hand :)

7/28/08 AOS letter received

9/02/08 AOS interview

9/10/08 card production ordered email :)

9/17/08 welcome letter email and snail mail arrive same day

9/19/08 Greencard in hand :)

Filed: Other Timeline

Ha, my hubby and I had a similar misunderstanding last year - I said I was going to start going back to the gym and wanted to lose some weight - he said 'that's good'... :huh: I took it the wrong way and was really hurt until he said he didn't mean that I needed to lose weight, just that exercise is good...whatever.... Men are so clueless in general about women's weight and it can be such a minefield to talk about, hard to sort out concerns for health from 'does he think I'm attractive?'. As for myself I would be concerned if G gained a lot of weight since his father was recently diagnosed with diabetes and recent research shows that S. Asians are more susceptible to it than other groups, they do not need to be that overweight in order for diabetes to develop. A little padding is OK but I told Govi someday I want to do the Annapurna Circuit AND Everest Base Camp treks and he had better be able to keep up with me, LOL...

thkirby-1.gifpetblink46.gif
BuddhaEyesGlobe.gif1433707c1j51myzp6.gif

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline
when we talk health i tell him i will walk more when he stops smokeing you would be surprised how fast the subject changes :whistle:

:thumbs:

love0038.gif

For Immigration Timeline, click here.

big wheel keep on turnin * proud mary keep on burnin * and we're rollin * rollin

Timeline

Hmm interesting post. I would love to lose some weight (I know my husband would love it to), but I really can't figure out when I would have time to get to the gym. I work 40 hrs a week, go to grad school part time, have a preschooler to work with and a 2 yr old. Yea right. I don't get enough sleep, exercise is sorta outta the question. We've implemented a new diet plan however so hopefully that might help.

My husband is more direct than any of the comments I've read so far. But we've been together for almost 5 years now so there's not much sense in beating around the bush. He's also said that he wouldn't want to "feel my bones" so now it's just achieving a happy medium.

May 11 '09 - Case Approved 10 yr card in the mail

June - 10 yr card recieved

Feb. 19, 2010 - N-400 Application sent to Phoenix Lockbox

April 3, 2010 - Biometrics

May 17,2010 - Citizenship Test - Minneapolis, MN

July 16, 2010- Retest (writing portion)

October 13, 2010 - Oath Ceremony

Journey Complete!

s-age.png

s-age.png

Timeline

Yeah, it took me a little while to get used my my husband's straight up comments. I think it's just a 'translation' kind of thing - different ways of talking. Anyway, it's nice in a way to not have to guess what a man really means! I keep in mind that he's not being rude, just not sugar coating things or putting them as gently as some others might. Also, he's really sweet to me in general, so I know he's not being a jerk to me. It's just his way of talking. Still, I have occasionally let him know (nicely) that sometimes he's a little TOO honest and blunt... I've definitely gotten more immune to it. And it's really nice to be able to be straight-forward with him too; although I make sure to preface my statements with something like "I'm not trying to be mean" or "I don't want to upset you" - and he's been doing the same for me.

:D

met online May 2006

visited him in Morocco July 2006

K-1 petition sent late September 2006 after second visit

December 2006 - third trip - went for his visa interview (stood outside all day)

visa approved! arrived here together right before Christmas 2006

married January 2007

AOS paperwork sent February 2007

RFE (yipee)

another RFE (yikes)

AOS approval July 2007

sent Removal of Conditions paperwork 01 May 2009

received I-751 NOA 14 May 2009

received ASC appt. notice 28 May 2009

biometrics appt. 12 June 2009

I-751 approval date 25 Sept 2009 (no updates on the system - still says 'received'/"initial review")

19 Oct 2009 - got text message "card production ordered"

24 Oct 2009 - actual card in the mail box!

sent his N-400 - 14 May 2010

check cashed 27 May 2010

NOA received 29 May 2010 (dated 24 May)

Biometrics Appointment Letter received 17 June 2010

Biometrics scheduled for 08 July 2010; walk-in successfully done in Philadelphia 07 July 2010

02 Oct 2010 - FINALLY got email saying the case was being transferred to the local office. Hoping to get his interview letter soon...

05 Oct 2010 - received interview letter!!!!

08 November 2010 - scheduled for N-400 interview

- went together for interview; file isn't there - need to wait to be rescheduled

Jan 2011 - went for Infopass

25 Feb 2011 - interview

19 April 2011 - Infopass

8 July 2011 - HE'S FINALLY A CITIZEN - WOO HOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

30 July 2011 - citizenship party

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.