zidane

K3 route, ignore NVC letters for I130?

25 posts in this topic

Filed: Other Country: China
Timeline
Yeah but in the long run CRs are WAY better as they can work a LOT sooner than a K3. If K3s have problem with AOS they can end up in deep da kine. For one end up being deported if anything should happen to the petitioner!

Getting to work soon is not an issue for some people. I'm hoping my husband will stay home with our daughter for at least a year and a half.

Also, if anything happened to the spouse before AOS, I would think the immigrant would like to return home for the support of family. not worry about deportation. :unsure:

Okay, I think I understand.

In one scenario, the USC decides to pursue the K3 and do AOS or continue with the immigrant visa process at a later date. If the USC dies before the spouse adjusts status or receives the immigrant visa, he/she will be deported.

On the other hand, the USC decides not to pursue the K3, and the spouse waits in his/her own country for the immigrant visa. If the USC dies before the spouse receives the immigrant visa, he/she won't be deported, only because he/she never left the country of origin.

I don't see how the person who pursues the K3 while continuing with the immigrant visa process (which is the topic of this thread) is at a disadvantage in this scenario.

They aren't. It's just more popular to adjust status, since continuing the immigrant visa process requires either the expense of a short notice or lengthy trip back home. For most, adjusting status is less expensive and more convenient.

Facts are cheap...knowing how to use them is precious...
Understanding the big picture is priceless. Anonymous

Google Who is Pushbrk?

A Warning to Green Card Holders About Voting

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

Wow... and here Iwas thinking I had to keep going forward with the I-130 even though I was going the K-3 route. I mean, it just never dawned on me that working on the I-130 while doing K-3 would be to no avail. Glad I read this thread. I guess that makes me appear really ignorant

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: Bangladesh
Timeline

Well, I got even confused reading whole thread...Confused about which one should I go for once I am approved? Is it K3 or CR1?

K3 takes appx. 2months after approval upto POE...

CR1 takes appx. 3+ (additional for AP depending on case) months

K3 additional 3-6 months to get greencard

CR1 usually 4-6 weeks....

Best case scenario with K3:

K3 visa stamped recieved within 2 months from the date of approval.

Fly to USA and live together with spouse.(Early Living with spouse)

AOS completed with 3 months and greencard recieved.

5 months from the date of USCISapproval.

Worst case scenario with K3:

K3 visa stamped recieved within 2-4 months(with additional paper works and AP) from the date of approval.

Fly to USA and live together with spouse.(Early Living with spouse)

AOS completed with 3-6 months and greencard recieved.

6-9 months from the date of USCIS approval.

Best case scenario with CR1:

CR1 visa stamped recieved within 3 months from the date of approval.

Fly to USA and live together with spouse.

4 months from the date of USCISapproval to get greencard.

Worst case scenario with CR1:

CR1 visa stamped recieved within 3-6 months(with additional paper works and AP) from the date of approval.

Fly to USA and live together with spouse.

7 months from the date of USCIS approval to get greencard.

am I right?

To start CRs are immigrant visas and receive their GC and SS card in the mail shortly after arriving in the US.

No need to go thru the $1010 cost, stress and hassle of doing the AOS. No need another interview or do biometrics.

Not having a SS card can prevent one doing a lot of things such as get drivers license, joint bank accounts etc.

K3 visas have to wait at about 3 months for EAD so they can get a SSN

K3s are nonimmigrant visas and have to go thru AOS. It can take a LONG time to get GC. Can be denied and deported also. Rare but the chance is still there.

If the relationship or petitioner goes belly up before the beneficiary has GC in hand they stand an excellent chance of being deported.

Yeah you aren't going to die!! Sh!t happens!

At this time if "done properly" it only takes about a month longer to do the CR-1 or IR-1.

The CR-1 recipient can almost immediately work, get drivers license, joint bank accounts, and anything else where a GC and SS card are required .

CR-1 doesn't have to deal with USCIS again for 21 months after arrival!

Edited by Haole

K1 denied, K3/K4, CR-1/CR-2, AOS, ROC, Adoption, US citizenship and dual citizenship

!! ALL PAU!

Timeline

Thank you so much...Now I am absolutely clear about the process....

21 months?

Well, I got married in March 2007, if I enter after my 2nd anniversary what kind of GC do I goin to receieve, if

Option 1: I would be CR1 stamped before my 2nd anniversary.

Option 2: I would be CR1 stamped After my 2nd anniversary.

OR Is it just depend on POE to be considered in order to determine my GC type?

Edited by soniasharmin

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Pakistan
Timeline
We are going the K3 route and proceeding with the I129F at the embassy. Should we ignore letters from the NVC we receive for the immigrant visa petition?

We got a letter from the NVC about a 'choice of agent' and a request to pay the AOS fee. Should we just ignore these?

Also what happens if a person were to go through this whole NVC process with the I130, and still take the K3 interview and come to the US on a K3 visa. All the fees and progress with the NVC with the I130 would then be wasted?

No, your money would not be wasted.

I just called NVC today. They explained that a person can either adjust status once in the US on a K3 visa OR continue with the I130 immigrant visa process. If you choose the latter, you will have to travel back to the country of origin for the immigrant visa interview at the US embassy.

...i have a question about this, so its obivous for the K3 to be filed in the country of marriage meaning the interview for K3 would be at the US embassy of where the marriage took place? what about for the CR-1 or the IR-1? does the interview have to be in the spouse's country of origin or where our marriage took place (you see our country of marriage is in the philippines and my husbands country of origin is pakistan). in my I 130...to that question...i put US Embassy, manila philippines as our consulate...we prefer that he does the interview in the Philippines rather than going back home to pakistan...anyone have any idea?

June 2004...i sat down on the bench to tie my shoelaces (literally) not knowing i would marry the man i just sat down next to...

Oct. 18, 2007...Married

Oct. 27, 2007...my beautiful son is born

USCIS IR-1/CR-1 Visa Journey

Service Center : Vermont Service Center

Consulate: Manila, Philippines

Feb. 05, 2009: I 130 sent

Feb. 12, 2009: NAO1

Feb. 17, 2009: first touch

Feb. 18, 2009: Touch

May 01, 2009: Touch and NAO2 mailed...yeah hey!

May 08, 2009: NAO2 in the mail

NVC Journey

May 15, 2009: NVC case number

May 18, 2009: Gave email add to NVC

May 28, 2009: Received DS 3032 / I-864 Bill

June 1, 2009: Paid I-864 Bill

June 5, 2009: sent AOS stuff

June 29, 2009: sent DS 230

June 28 - Aug. 8: i spent time with my boys in the philippines

IN A BIG HUGE BLUR...OUR CASE WAS COMPLETED AUGUST 5, 2009 (AFTER RFE: HUSBAND'S ORIGINAL BIRTH CERTIFICATE) AND MY HUSBANDS INTERVIEW WILL BE SEPTEMBER 25, 2009...WE HOPE AND PRAY WE GET IT!

CURRENTLY DOING: PREPARING DOCUMENTS FOR MY SON'S PETITION!

...I am one day further from the last time I saw you but I am one day closer to the next time I will...

Timeline
To start CRs are immigrant visas and receive their GC and SS card in the mail shortly after arriving in the US.

No need to go thru the $1010 cost, stress and hassle of doing the AOS. No need another interview or do biometrics.

Not having a SS card can prevent one doing a lot of things such as get drivers license, joint bank accounts etc.

K3s are nonimmigrant visas and have to go thru AOS. It can take a LONG time to get GC. Can be denied and deported also. Rare but the chance is still there.

If the relationship or petitioner goes belly up before the beneficiary has GC in hand they stand an excellent chance of being deported.

At this time if "done properly" it only takes about a month longer to do the CR-1 or IR-1.

The CR-1 recipient can almost immediately work, get drivers license, joint bank accounts, and anything else where a GC and SS card are required .

21 months?

Well, I got married in March 2007, if I enter after my 2nd anniversary what kind of GC do I goin to receieve, if

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Jordan
Timeline

If the relationship or petitioner goes belly up before the beneficiary has GC in hand they stand an excellent chance of being deported. Yeah you aren't going to die!! Sh!t happens!

The CR-1 is def better for the immigrant if things dont work out,yes.

I think everyone has summed it up very well here.

The CR-1/IR-1 is the "easier to live with" visa. It may take longer but, spouse can work faster,no AOS hassle, if the relationship goes sour, they arent entirely dependent on the USC spouse.

The K-3 allows a slightly faster reunion, but wait 90 days to work and get "established on paper", AOS cost and interview.

For many, it's not that doing the k3 and AOS are "popular", its the couple's personal choice.

everyone has different priorities.

We were totally going to do the CR-1 at first, but just recently changed our minds after some discussion and research.

We might be one of those couples posting in a couple years saying...we should have done the CR-1, oh well lol

21 months?

After 2 years the CR-1 is an IR-1 whats the difference...no idea, thats where my knowledge of that ends :)

"you fondle my trigger then you blame my gun"

Timeline: 13 month long journey from filing to visa in hand

If you were lucky and got an approval and reunion with your loved one rather quickly; Please refrain from telling people who waited 6+ months just to get out of a service center to "chill out" or to "stop whining" It's insensitive,and unecessary. Once you walk a mile in their shoes you will understand and be heard.

Thanks!

Well, would rather just get my spouse here the fastest way I can, I believe. I sure aint getting any younger! hehe Am just tired of this, and even one day faster would be worth it to me. I can deal with anything, as long as I got my wife here with me. And I guess we will just take that gamble that I dont die before it all gets approved. hehe ;)

Take care y'all

Brian From Tennessee

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: Nepal
Timeline

K3s are nonimmigrant visas and have to go thru AOS.

No, K3s have the choice of either going through AOS or continuing with the immigrant visa process.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.