• Wow, this must be different for you
    • You're a Canadian "eh"
    • Oh, which part of Canada?
    • The weather here must be different for you
    • Wow, that's a long way
    • Are your documents in English?
    • All of the above

100 posts in this topic

But with few exceptions, everyone makes a comment with the word "eh" or "aboot" and/or "hoser" or "Moosehead beer".....the MacKenzie brothers were SOOO long ago now, I wonder if these Americans will ever GET OVER IT!! :lol:

Hubby is from B.C, so he really hates all of those Canadian sterotypes!!

Actually, a while ago we were at a furniture store, and when we started talking to a saleperson, she immediately looked at me and asked where I was from! (I was born and raised in Michigan, have been living in Kentucky for the last 5-6 years, so I thought I'd lost some of my Northern accent lol.) The real funny thing is that she didn't think that hubby the Canadian was an out-of-towner!

Are BC'ers different than other Canadians? :blink:

I would say the West Coast of both nations are different from the rest of the country/countries.

Yes!

:star:

SpiritAlight edits due to extreme lack of typing abilities. :)

You will do foolish things.

Do them with enthusiasm!!

Don't just do something. Sit there.

K1: Flew to the U.S. of A. – January 9th, 2008 (HELLO CHI-TOWN!!! I'm here.)

Tied the knot (legal ceremony, part one) – January 26th, 2008 (kinda spontaneous)

AOS: Mailed V-Day; received February 15th, 2007 – phew!

I-485 application transferred to CSC – March 12th, 2008

Travel/Work approval notices via email – April 23rd, 2008

Green card/residency card: email notice of approval – August 28th, 2008 yippeeeee!!!

Funny-looking card arrives – September 6th, 2008 :)

Mailed request to remove conditions – July 7, 2010

Landed permanent resident approved – August 23rd, 2010

Second funny looking card arrives – August 31st, 2010

Over & out, Spirit

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Canada is multi-cultural, America is the melting pot. ie: if you move to the US you are expected to melt/assimilate into American society. In Canada you are encouraged to keep your own native culture, which then enriches Canadian culture.

Honestly, I much prefer the Canadian multi-culturalism.

Don't forget about the flag waving.

Hahaha!

Tied the knot (legal ceremony, part one) – January 26th, 2008 (kinda spontaneous)

Green card/residency card: email notice of approval – August 28th, 2008 yippeeeee!!!

Over & out, Spirit

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Funny, my Husband just told me he gets asked if he is from Canada a lot :lol:

Then again he also gets asked if he is from Australia - depends on the words he is using I suppose.

He toned down his, not very strong, Aussie accent when he moved to Canada so he didn't have to keep repeating himself.

As a first generation Montrealer born to Greek immigrant parents, with brown hair, brown eyes, my skin gets golden brown in the sun, I can be from anywhere.

No one has ever placed me.

I can make anything up...although I don't, hee hee.

Yes, I have a strange accent, or so I am told.

My English is unique too.

Well, not unique for a Montrealer.

The order and choice of words is not typical at times.

Hence much miscommunication between my sweetie and I. Hahaha!

Funny though how in Montreal, no one cares about such things as it is truly more open to diversity.

No matter what, who you are.

Living in Vancouver for 13 years, people being more unilingual (English) thought I was exotic. Mmmmm.... :D

Ha!

No, Vancouver is not predominantly anglo and white, but in many neighbourhoods you wouldn't know anyone else existed.

It feels good to blend in with the locals wherever I travel.

Perhaps this has more to do with my attitude...

Over & out, Spirit

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline
I've often heard questions asked by both Americans and Canadians over the immigration process. Many in both countries have the mistaken belief that crossing the border to live is as easy as a simple "wave and a wink." Another question I've heard a lot is about citizenship. It seems a lot of people -- from the U.S. and Canada -- think that if you move to another country, you automatically lose your status as a citizen.

And definitely, I do agree with you. A lot of people who have asked about the immigration process have been surprised at how complex and arduous the journey is. A couple of my American friends went so far as to say that they presumed I was automatically a citizen, simply because I was married to an American. To be fair, until my husband and I decided to get married, I didn't have a single clue about the Canadian immigration process either - it really does go both ways.

The problem is that many years ago, if an American citizen married a foreigner, the foreign spouse would automatically gain citizenship. I believe this changed sometime during one of the wars, since a lot of American soldiers were arriving home with their new "war brides." I'd also imagine that the population growth in the U.S. has something to do with it, as well. While Canada may have a somewhat "easier" immigration process, its total population is less than the state of California. Plus, there's far less illegal immigration.

Something interesting to note is that for quite a long time, the process to get a passport was far easier in the United States. There's no such thing as "guarantors" and no references are required, which means all Americans have to do is fill out a form and mail it. U.S. passports do take longer to process, but once again, there's more people to handle. Passports in the United States also last 10 years, whereas a Canadian passport is only good for five.

Canada is multi-cultural, America is the melting pot. ie: if you move to the US you are expected to melt/assimilate into American society. In Canada you are encouraged to keep your own native culture, which then enriches Canadian culture.

Honestly, I much prefer the Canadian multi-culturalism.

Maybe that's the idea (or the intention), but it rarely works out that way. The U.S. has been called a "melting pot," but anyone who has some knowledge of American history/politics, will realize that individuals rarely assimilate. There are plenty of sections within cities that have been culturally influenced. I see the U.S. as a nation full of many warring factions, all trying to get what they feel is owed to them. There would be far fewer lawsuits (and politically correct nonsense) if people didn't attempt to "keep to their own" and actually merged together.

Timeline

The problem is that many years ago, if an American citizen married a foreigner, the foreign spouse would automatically gain citizenship. I believe this changed sometime during one of the wars, since a lot of American soldiers were arriving home with their new "war brides." I'd also imagine that the population growth in the U.S. has something to do with it, as well. While Canada may have a somewhat "easier" immigration process, its total population is less than the state of California. Plus, there's far less illegal immigration.

How many many years ago was this? Surely longer than anyone can remember? I think it's just a common fallacy rather than something based on U.S. Citizenship history.

Maybe that's the idea (or the intention), but it rarely works out that way. The U.S. has been called a "melting pot," but anyone who has some knowledge of American history/politics, will realize that individuals rarely assimilate. There are plenty of sections within cities that have been culturally influenced. I see the U.S. as a nation full of many warring factions, all trying to get what they feel is owed to them. There would be far fewer lawsuits (and politically correct nonsense) if people didn't attempt to "keep to their own" and actually merged together.

And human nature, in general, dictates that this doesn't happen, although maybe over many many generations it might - haven't seen it yet. The idea that people should or would assimilate is - well - silly - in my opinion.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline
How many many years ago was this? Surely longer than anyone can remember? I think it's just a common fallacy rather than something based on U.S. Citizenship history.

I was talking to my realtor about this. He seems to think it wasn't so long ago. Someone find out!

"...My hair's mostly wind,

My eyes filled with grit

My skin's white then brown

My lips chapped and split

I've lain on the prairie and heard grasses sigh

I've stared at the vast open bowl of the sky

I've seen all the castles and faces in clouds

My home is the prairie and for that I am proud…

If You're not from the Prairie, you can't know my soul

You don't know our blizzards; you've not fought our cold

You can't know my mind, nor ever my heart

Unless deep within you there's somehow a part…

A part of these things that I've said that I know,

The wind, sky and earth, the storms and the snow.

Best say that you have - and then we'll be one,

For we will have shared that same blazing sun." - David Bouchard

Timeline

I was talking to my realtor about this. He seems to think it wasn't so long ago. Someone find out!

I think your realtor falls in to the common fallacy arena lol

I know that at least it wasn't as far back as the 1940's - I couldn't find any info on it.

Edited by trailmix

• 2 weeks later...

Do I love this kind of quirkiness because I am Canadian?!

See for yourself...especially the video.

http://blog.canoe.ca/canoedossier/2008/11/..._1812_sculpture

Douglas Coupland is the coolest.

Yes, I've met him...

:star:

Over & out, Spirit

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.