SweetSugahDumplin

Yardies, at home and a farrin (part 8)

6,160 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Jamaica
Timeline
love, where u went? fi go buy wah? :)

We got some fry chicken, vanilla fudge, pineapple zucchini bread, sweet potato bread, some fresh veg and some other candy we aint hardly need! candy corns and candy money(old school candy) and the best muenster cheese i ever tasted. Puts supermarket cheese to shame. Supermarket cheese taste like it came from a bootleg generic cow.

K-1 2007

Mailed off Application April 27

Approved August 10

Interview Oct 16

Arrived NYC JFK Oct 27

AOS 2008

1/28 mailed AOS package

2/19 Case xfer to California Service Center

2/27 Biometrics 9AM Newark

3/14 APPLICATION FOR USCIS TRAVEL DOCUMENT approval notice sent

3/19 EAD approved/Card production ordered

6/12 AOS approved &Card producition ordered

6/12 Perm. Res. Card RCVD.

Naturalization 2017

Service Center :Dallas/Lewisville TX Lockbox

CIS Office :Oakland Park FL

Date Filed :3/13/17

NOA Date :3/20/17

Bio. Appt. :3/27/17

In Line for Interview: 4/18

• Replies 6.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Timeline

Some good reading for the day.....

15 Reasons why Jamaican Patois is a Language ?

By Karl Folkes

Published Mar 24, 2004

In the fifteen points below I have summarized the issues on why Jamaican Patois is a language. As a Jamaican educator and linguist I have been working diligently to have our Jamaican language fully and officially recognized by our Jamaican Government. So far I've been receiving favorable commentary from the Jamaican Press and the Jamaican Government. Thanks for your highly valuable support! Karl Folkes (Yaadibwai).

Fifteen points on "why Jamaican Patois is a language":

1. Creole languages are in effect the modern languages of the world; and have evolved and developed with varying degrees of automaticity over the last 400 years.

2. There are more than 200 attested Creole languages in the world and represented in all continents of the globe.

3. Creole languages are popularly described as evolving from an earlier 'Pidgin', or putatively "less fully-developed form". However, this is merely a linguistic theory framed within a Western European ideological worldview.

4. The majority of Creole languages (again, the term 'Creole' is of European origin, and therefore troublesome for several reasons) have their origins in African languages. Thus, while their vocabulary or lexicon may be largely European-based (with lexical contributions from the hypothesized 'superstrate' languages), their syntax or grammar is distinctly non-European, and certainly more closely African (a continent historically described as "the dark continent" and therefore genetically contributing hypothesized 'substrate' languages).

5. The Creole languages of the Caribbean Basin are essentially syntactically more alike than they are different in their underlying or deep structure, despite their surface phonological, morphological, and lexical differences.

6. Creole languages all adhere to linguistic standards. This means it is linguistically correct to speak of Standard English, as well as Standard Jamaican, Standard Haitian, Standard Sranan Tongo, etc., with these latter languages being separate languages and not dialects of English or Dutch.

7. These standards adhere to the rules of their own grammar, which makes communication reliable, uniform, and possible among speakers of the various Creole languages.

8. Creole is not the name of a language, but the family name of several distinct languages which include Jamaican, Haitian, Garifuna, Sranan Tongo -- and, yes, Afrikaans (in South Africa) and Yiddish (in Israel and other countries around the world).

9. All human languages belong to language families: as examples English, German, Dutch, Danish, Swedish (to Germanic); Spanish, Italian, French, Portuguese (to Latinate or Romance); Chinese, Korean, Japanese (to Sino-Sinnitic), etc. Languages which belong to the same language families can be expected to share similar phonological, lexical, morphological, and syntactic features; but they are different enough to be recognized as different languages, and not dialects of one another.

10. Languages, in general, are named after the countries that produced them natively: English(England); German (Germany); French(France); Spanish(Spain); Russian (Russia). Occasionally languages bear the name of ethnic or cultural affiliations. Thsis logically suggests that the language of Jamaica should more properly be called "Jamaican" -- certainly not "Patwa" or "Patois" which is a derisive term that was spawned by Europeans within a a colonial imperialistic paradigm to describe and to maintain relations of inequity between 'slave' and 'master'. These terms should no longer be used, certainly not in Independent Jamaica.

11. All languages, including Jamaican, started out in spoken form only. That is a natural course of linguistic development. The written forms came afterwards. More importantly, all spoken languages can -- without exception-- be represented uniformly in writing.

12. When a language is represented uniformly in writing (i.e., when there is uniformity in phonemic-graphemic correspondence, presdtige is given to the language around the world and literacy development of the speakers of that language is encouraged in the native language.

13. Most Jamaicans are bilingual to varying degrees in Jamaican and English. Of course, some Jamaicans are monolingual Jamaican, with a small percentage monolingual English (perhaps the British, Americans, or Canadians in Jamaica).

14. "Jamaican" is the native language of most of its speakers for whom English is indeed a second language.

15. It is psychologically uplifting and culturally empowering to be bilingual and biliterate!

K-1 2007

Approved August 10

Interview Oct 16

Arrived NYC JFK Oct 27

AOS 2008

1/28 mailed AOS package

Naturalization 2017

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Jamaica
Timeline
Hey jengy...wat a gwaan...sista soldier :)

Hey all

FInesse mi si yuh..wapen

i see you too kimmy. nothing happened...just checking to see whats up on here....so many new people on here...hard to keep up. time goes by so fast..hubby and i bought a house few months ago so we been busy painting, yard work, building a fence and the list goes on and on. nice to be a homeowner but sometimes we feel like a slave to this place...

Filed: Timeline

Sunny is in ft. Lauderdale waiting for her connecting flight back to DC...she has a 5 hour wait I believe, but she sound find, just bored...mi gaane back a mi bed.

********************************************************************************

....when it hurts to look back and you're scared to look ahead LOOK beside you and I'll be there.....

There comes a point in your life when you realize who matters, who never did, who won't anymore... and who always will.

So, don't worry about people from your past, there's a reason why they didn't make it to your future.

6002239865101_1_27247687.jpg (cost of the IMMIGRATION PROCESS)

tep aff a mi name

Filed: Country: Jamaica
Timeline
Sunny is in ft. Lauderdale waiting for her connecting flight back to DC...she has a 5 hour wait I believe, but she sound find, just bored...mi gaane back a mi bed.

She was originally coming back on the 16th and she changed it back 2 days, right? What happened?

Tre, link me up with you get a chance. I got a laughable half a$$ed explanation. I'll probably check back in tomorrow night.

Life's just a crazy ride on a run away train

You can't go back for what you've missed

So make it count, hold on tight find a way to make it right

You only get one trip

So make it good, make it last 'cause it all flies by so fast

You only get one trip

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Jamaica
Timeline

Jomo are you getting excited about your trip to Chicago? November will be here soon.

Met Jan 1998, vows on 2006, Jay Jay born 2008, baby 2 - 2011

Look at time line for visa information

xTr6m6.png

Great Cook Shop in the Chicago Land Area: Montego Bay Jerk Chicken Restaurant in Bellwood IL

lXHgm6.png

CuySm6.png

Timeline

Bed at 5:30??? You okay?

What Doesn't Kill You Makes You Stronger....

Timeline

She was originally coming back on the 16th and she changed it back 2 days, right? What happened?

Tre, link me up with you get a chance. I got a laughable half a$$ed explanation. I'll probably check back in tomorrow night.

I wasn't ready to come back. lol I extended my trip two more days.

Rsy got his visa on Friday, so he's planning to come up the first or second week in Nov. :dance:

ROC

Filed at Vermont Service Center

ROC Filing date:--------08-02-2011

Express Mail card recd stating package was recd on: 08-03-2011

NOA1 rec'd dated:-------08-04-2011

Check Cashed:-----------08-08-2011

Biometrics Appt scheduled for: ----09-23-2011

Filed: Timeline

Thank God you reach back safely Sunny.

Many blessings to those that are in Jamaica right now with family or waiting for their So's interview date.

Honey, get you tail back her safely

TL; I'm okay, just tired. I was finally back to sleeping at least 7 hours a night then all the madness started, so I'm back to little or no sleep per night.

JG; hurry and pm me. I'll check later.

********************************************************************************

....when it hurts to look back and you're scared to look ahead LOOK beside you and I'll be there.....

There comes a point in your life when you realize who matters, who never did, who won't anymore... and who always will.

So, don't worry about people from your past, there's a reason why they didn't make it to your future.

6002239865101_1_27247687.jpg (cost of the IMMIGRATION PROCESS)

tep aff a mi name

Timeline

Rsy got his visa on Friday, so he's planning to come up the first or second week in Nov. :dance:

Glad to see you made it home safe, Michelle.

TL; I'm okay, just tired. I was finally back to sleeping at least 7 hours a night then all the madness started, so I'm back to little or no sleep per night.

Totally understandable my friend. Just take it one day at a time. That's my new motto.

What Doesn't Kill You Makes You Stronger....

Filed: Other Country: Jamaica
Timeline

Welcome back Sunny!

Ur SO will be back with u shortly. U must be excited :dance:

I LOVE MY RAMPING SHOP!!

Timeline

Thanks Lawns.. That 5hr layover kicked my tail. I couldn't even eat the 5hrs away because they only had Nathans Hotdogs. Ugh!

TL, It really does feel good to be home in my own bed. I guess I'll get to have it to myself for two more weeks. LMAO

Checking flights for Ray now and playing around with dates. lol

Thanks Manya for picking me up from the airport. Your so good to me. My poor sister gets lost everywhere she goes in Virginia so I'm glad Manya came to scoop me up so late at night.

Sus, gym???? I'm so tired of eating rice and chicken I don't know what to do. lol Get your tail out of the house girl.

This was one of my best tips ever. 1. Because we were approved and spent a good amount of time together just Ray and I 2. because I did absolutly NOTHING. Pure relaxation.

Also, because I was able to meet Island, Honey and their SO's. Everyone was so nice. I wish I would have spent more time with them, but maybe we'll get a chance to here in the states....

Sus, Shades is off the hook. I stayed to see the midget and wanted to vomit with all the anybody come get some sex acts. Yuck! I'm glad I was able to experience it though.

ROC

Filed at Vermont Service Center

ROC Filing date:--------08-02-2011

Express Mail card recd stating package was recd on: 08-03-2011

NOA1 rec'd dated:-------08-04-2011

Check Cashed:-----------08-08-2011

Biometrics Appt scheduled for: ----09-23-2011

Timeline
Thanks Lawns.. That 5hr layover kicked my tail. I couldn't even eat the 5hrs away because they only had Nathans Hotdogs. Ugh!

TL, It really does feel good to be home in my own bed. I guess I'll get to have it to myself for two more weeks. LMAO

Checking flights for Ray now and playing around with dates. lol

Thanks Manya for picking me up from the airport. Your so good to me. My poor sister gets lost everywhere she goes in Virginia so I'm glad Manya came to scoop me up so late at night.

Sus, gym???? I'm so tired of eating rice and chicken I don't know what to do. lol Get your tail out of the house girl.

This was one of my best tips ever. 1. Because we were approved and spent a good amount of time together just Ray and I 2. because I did absolutly NOTHING. Pure relaxation.

Also, because I was able to meet Island, Honey and their SO's. Everyone was so nice. I wish I would have spent more time with them, but maybe we'll get a chance to here in the states....

Sus, Shades is off the hook. I stayed to see the midget and wanted to vomit with all the anybody come get some sex acts. Yuck! I'm glad I was able to experience it though.

Welcome back n congrats again :) i guess u will be goin to get a coat/jacket for ray! its cold this weekend!! First day Chris got here it was cold n it stayed cold after that. Luckily he had long sleeve shirt to wear on the plane.

K-1 2007

Approved August 10

Interview Oct 16

Arrived NYC JFK Oct 27

AOS 2008

1/28 mailed AOS package

Naturalization 2017

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.